Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+78
limb
TMA1
Swgman_BK
andalusia
thegopnik
miketheterrible
Stefane
kvs
PhSt
JohninMK
gmsmith1985
Cheetah
mnztr
KeMac
Hole
AMCXXL
FulcrumPL
ZoA
The-thing-next-door
HM1199
Rmf
A1RMAN
Flanky
par far
13th_Warrior
kopyo-21
Svyatoslavich
franco
Benya
Zivo
archangelski
Isos
kiskertlugas
headshot69
NationalRus
Project Canada
User2245
zackyx
higurashihougi
RTN
nemrod
jhelb
Honesroc
victor1985
calripson
d_taddei2
Alex555
Morpheus Eberhardt
George1
GarryB
Giulio
redgiacomo
magnumcromagnon
Mike E
Werewolf
Mamut
Vann7
sepheronx
Diego-9
indochina
collegeboy16
Stealthflanker
KomissarBojanchev
TR1
Sujoy
Russian Patriot
SOC
Mindstorm
ASHRAF
ahmad_elsharkawy
Admin
IronsightSniper
psg
Austin
medo
mandeb48
havok
nightcrawler
82 posters

General Questions Thread:

kiskertlugas

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Empty Re: General Questions Thread:

Post  kiskertlugas Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:22 am

GarryB wrote:From left to right the first has the distinct shape of a FAB-250 in the old high drag version(model 1954) as opposed to the later streamlined 1962 models.

The next two however look to me to be 203mm shell casings for artillery pieces with the fourth and sixth items being the projectiles for the same weapon...

So FAB-250, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm projectile, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm projectile, 203mm propellent shell case.

Thank you for the quick answers.

However, doesn't those in the middle look too big for a 203mm shell? They occupy full width of the truck, and diameter looks bigger than 203mm also.
    jhelb
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:33 am

Question: The Israelis came out with a new air to surface missile called SkySniper. Basically they took an existing surface-to-surface weapon and converted it into an air to surface weapon(the idea is to keep its price low).

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/iai-takes-aim-with-skysniper-rocket-423147/

How can this transformation be brought about? And why hasn't Russia tried something similar?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:59 am

However, doesn't those in the middle look too big for a 203mm shell? They occupy full width of the truck, and diameter looks bigger than 203mm also.

Actually... looking again I am thinking that rather than 203mm shells they might be 240mm mortar bombs or 250kg FAB-250M62s.

The main reason for my rethink is that the noses are not pointy and aerodynamic enough... they are too rounded like a 240mm mortar bomb or aerial bomb... probably aerial bombs...

How can this transformation be brought about? And why hasn't Russia tried something similar?

Hahahahaha... you have got to be joking right?

82mm and 132mm unguided rockets started as aircraft launched weapons in WWII on Soviet fighters and attack aircraft and were adapted to the ground to ground role from trucks... Rolling Eyes

An early air to air missile (AA-1 Alkali) was also used as the basis for the Kh-23 and Kh-25 families of air to ground weapons... been there done that.

The new Morfei short range AAM will be used by the Russian AF, Army, and Navy.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:44 am

if you were to describe the differences in shape/looks and in technical terms for the following aircraft Su-27/Su-30/Su-35/Su-34, and Mig-29/Mig-35, to someone who doesnt really know much about aircraft, so you have to keep it pretty basic and not too much technical terms so they would understand.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Thu May 26, 2016 5:44 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:if you were to describe the differences in shape/looks and in technical terms for the following aircraft Su-27/Su-30/Su-35/Su-34, and Mig-29/Mig-35, to someone who doesnt really know much about aircraft, so you have to keep it pretty basic and not too much technical terms so they would understand.

Mig 35 has a imagery captor (I don't know the name of it) under on of its engines. Mig 29 doesn't. It can carry more missiles also. 3D thrust vectoring nozzle

Su-34 is a fighter bomber that looks to a duck. 2 tandem places.

Su-27 are old and a lot of them are dirty when it come to paint.

Su 30 is a two seat fighter with the second place like 1 meter higher than the first one. Very cool on the pictures. 3D thrust vectoring nozzle.

Su 35 is a one seat fighter. 3D thrust vectoring nozzle.
    zackyx

Post  zackyx Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:40 am

Hello guys,

I need some help i'm trying to fin the book from where this snap shot was taken, I remember that one member posted the link on the forum around 1/2 years ago. But i cant find it.

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Raduga_sh_by_stealthflanker-d4fo8pz

I am also looking for picture of the arbalet synthetic aperture radar.

Also i used to have pictures bookmarked about that but the links died.

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 365122805_snapshot4_122_123lo

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 364641125_snapshot2_122_204lo

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 836120580_Arbalet3_122_585lo

If someone has a copy of those links/pictures it would be amazing thanks in advance.
    archangelski
    archangelski

Post  archangelski Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:37 pm

zackyx wrote:Hello guys,

I need some help i'm trying to fin the  book from where this snap shot was taken, I remember that one member posted the link on the forum around 1/2 years ago. But i cant find it.

If someone has a copy of those links/pictures it would be amazing thanks in advance.

from this book :

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 LZ6bHfA
    nemrod
    nemrod

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Empty Please identify this russian aircraft

Post  nemrod Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:43 pm

I've never seen it before. New aircraft ? It looks chinese J-10 but this fighter is quite different. New Drone ? New fighter next ? It looks like a SU-30 without it second engine.

Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:12 am

Hobby model jet with 3D TVC, and a pilot who has too much time on his hands? dunno
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:00 pm

I have a question about an air force unit:

-So, there is an unnamed Fighter/Interceptor Aviation Regiment (Kansk (Dalniy airfield), Krasnoyarsk region) equipped with MiG-31BM fighter/interceptor aircraft. It was previously named the (6979 AB) 6979th Aviation Base, but after the Air Force (VVS) came under the command of the Aerospace Forces (VKS), it's name became unknown as the base (the unit itself) was disbanded, but the MiGs are still stationed there under the command of this "unknow unit". Anyone knows exactly the current unit's name/numbering?
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 pm

Benya wrote:I have a question about an air force unit:

-So, there is an unnamed Fighter/Interceptor Aviation Regiment (Kansk (Dalniy airfield), Krasnoyarsk region) equipped with MiG-31BM fighter/interceptor aircraft. It was previously named the (6979 AB) 6979th Aviation Base, but after the Air Force (VVS) came under the command of the Aerospace Forces (VKS), it's name became unknown as the base (the unit itself) was disbanded, but the MiGs are still stationed there under the command of this "unknow unit". Anyone knows exactly the current unit's name/numbering?

They reverted to their previous name the 712th Fighter Regiment. Do you have Bolshoe Savino and Chelyabinsk?
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:42 pm

franco wrote:
    Benya wrote:I have a question about an air force unit:

They reverted to their previous name the 712th Fighter Regiment. Do you have Bolshoe Savino and Chelyabinsk?  

Thanks franco!

According to Milkavkaz.net, the 2nd Joint Aviation Regiment (2 SAP), and the HQ of the 21st Joint Aviation Division (21 SAD) are stationed az Chelyabinsk/Shagol. I don't know much about Bolshoye-Savino.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Bolshoe Savino (Perm) is the 764th Fighter Regiment using Mig-31's.

All the Air Force reverted to their previous names prior to the reforms of Serdyukov.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:26 pm

sepheronx wrote:Franco, do you happen to know the numbers of active aircraft in Russian service? Per aircraft? Like: su-27, mig-29, su-30, and all variations?

Thanks.

Sorry Sepheronx but I missed this as I was not around much during that time. Will work on something for you.
    Svyatoslavich

Post  Svyatoslavich Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:44 am

franco wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Franco, do you happen to know the numbers of active aircraft in Russian service? Per aircraft? Like: su-27, mig-29, su-30, and all variations?

Thanks.

Sorry Sepheronx but I missed this as I was not around much during that time. Will work on something for you.
    That would be very nice, thanks! Also, if you can include where they are based, it would be great. Thanks again!
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:26 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:
    franco wrote:

Thanks.

That would be very nice, thanks! Also, if you can include where they are based, it would be great. Thanks again!

Try this link, missing a few units but fairly detailed http://www.milkavkaz.net/2015/12/vozdushno-kosmicheskie-sily.html

Benya is also working on doing a VKS ORBAT.
    kopyo-21

Post  kopyo-21 Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for information about modernization of N001 Su-27 radar. As I have known, there are two different offers, one from Ukraine (Radionix) and the other from Russia (NIIP).

Ukrainian Radionix offers to replace N019-09 high-frequency receiver by N019-09R2 dual channel (Narrow-band & wide-band) high-frequency receiver, replace some other components and especially replace the N001-03 low-frequency receiver (signal processor) by new dual-channel (Narrow band at intermediate frequency (IF) of 28 mhz & wide-band at intermediate frequency (IF) of 84 mhz) low frequency receiver with new signal processors for air-to-air modes and air-to-surface modes.

Radionix explained that the narrow-band is for air-to-air modes while the wide-band is for air-to-surface modes and air-to-air long-range detection modes. below is their N001 modernization diagram:
    General Questions Thread: - Page 11 N001%20radar%20upgraded_008

Compare to old N001 diagram:
    General Questions Thread: - Page 11 N001%20radar%20upgraded_005

In the other hand, Russian NIIP has different approached way, using the by-pass channel concept. It means they keep all old systems for old air-to-air modes and add more components  (by-pass channel) for new air-to-surface modes and new air-to-air mode (long-range detection mode). NIIP leaks very little information how they arrange the new components trap on the old components but N001-03VEP2 that they called digital dual-channel (low-frequency) receiver and Baguet-55-04.02 signal processor. Howver, when I read the N001-03VEP2 catalog, it receives the intermediate frequency (IF) of 28 mhz only instead of dual IF of 28 mhz and 84 mhz like Ukrainian Radionix concept.

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 P0330
    General Questions Thread: - Page 11 P0331

Does NIIP uses only (narrow-band) IF of 28 mhz for both air-to-air and air-to-surface modes instead 2 IFs like Radionix?
    13th_Warrior

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Empty question

Post  13th_Warrior Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 am

hello every one,
    any one has a clue what kind of equipment fixed on ka 52 & mi 28 wings ?
    General Questions Thread: - Page 11 2210
    General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Ka52_h10

its clearly not a fuel tank or an anti ship missile or any kind of missiles
    thanks in advance for your answer
    glad to be here respekt
    GarryB
    GarryB

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Empty any one has a clue what kind of equipment fixed on ka 52 & mi 28 wings ?

Post  GarryB Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:57 am

It is a storage container.

It contains tools and some spare parts and gear for the crew to be used at forward deployment areas or during testing.

It might contain telemetry equipment too but not sure about that.
    par far

General Questions Thread: - Page 11 Empty Is Russia making the SU 37

Post  par far Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:33 pm

In this article it is saying that Russia and Pakistan are negotiating to buy " the Russian SU 37", I thought that the SU 37, was just a jet, they used for technology purposes, when did Russia get the SU 37?

https://sputniknews.com/military/20160908/1045073021/pakistan-russia-negotiating-fightersu-jets.html
    Svyatoslavich

Post  Svyatoslavich Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:43 am

https://www.russiadefence.net/t3121p25-russia-pakistan-military-deals#174894
    "Su-37 was the designation given by Sukhoi to an "old" Su-35 (Su-27M) prototype with bidimensional TVC. Su-30MKI and SM incorporates these technologies, while Su-35S is much more advanced. Talking about Su-37 makes no sense whatsoever."
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:02 am

Its article's or source's mistake probably
    Flanky
    Flanky

Post  Flanky Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Have anyone seen a Nightvision device for Russian pilots?
    Most of the warplanes have HUDs that have a night mode.
    I suspect this is a mode that will significantly reduce hud brightness to be tolerant to the NVG device.
    BUt i have never seen one Nightvision device made in Russia for pilots?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 am

Plenty of NV equipment for helo pilots, but most of that is being replaced by EO turrets with stabilisation.

For most fighter pilots their radar and IRST is rather more effective and much longer ranged night and all weather equipment...

Rescue helicopter pilots where I live use Russian Night Vision goggles... similar performance to US models but a fraction of the cost...
    A1RMAN
    A1RMAN

Post  A1RMAN Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:33 am

I have a question about 5-th generation aircrafts.

It seems that everything is going well with PAK-FA and Russia soon is gonna get 5-th generation fighter. What about other roles?
    Light fighter, bomber, interceptor - when Russia should develop 5-th generation aircrafts for these classes? Do they need, at all, to be stealthy? What can they do to increase bomber's payload and keep it stealthy?

I didn't hear anything about new bombers for Russian AF, except Su-34M. I doubt Mig-41 gonna be 5-th generation, they said it's gonna be based on Mig-31.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm