Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

General Questions Thread:

GarryB

Re: General Questions Thread:

Post  GarryB on Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Most airfields... civilian and military have some sort of anti bird mechanisms in place... in Soviet times it was common to see scarecrows on soviet airfields, and various noise makers to the use of hawks and other birds of prey to scare away birds are used.

The critical period is takeoff and landing where losing an engine can be critical.

At the Farnborough airshow a MiG-29 was brought down by bird ingestion, but the fact that the aircraft was flying low and slow at a high angle of attack was the main reason the aircraft was lost... in normal level flight there would have been no problem as the MiG can fly safely on one engine.

According to the debrief with the pilot the aircraft was flying at an angle and a speed that required two engines to maintain flight... it was steeply pitched up and was relying on engine power to keep it airborne. When one engine shutdown the aircraft banked over towards the ground... the pilot reportedly managed to restart the failed engine but it was too late to save the aircraft. In level flight at normal flight speed well above stall speed there would not have been any problems the aircraft could have maintained speed and altitude on one engine and the other engine could have been restarted safely.

Obviously for a single engine fighter it would be more of an issue.

the doors on the MiG-29 air intakes and the Yak-130 are designed to stop stones and dirt entering the intake on rough runways and open when the front tire lifts off the ground so would not work against a bird strike in low level flight.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Post  Guest on Thu May 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Does anybody have any information about the procurement plan of the VVS?
    George1

Post  George1 on Thu May 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Ivan the Colorado wrote:Does anybody have any information about the procurement plan of the VVS?

http://www.russiadefence.net/t3912-pov-russian-air-force-capabilities-and-procurement-plans

Orders include:

Type        No Ord     Delivered
    MiG-29K: 24   /  14
    Su-30SM: 12   /   3
    MiG-29SMT: 16   /   0
    Su-30М2: 20  /   16
    Su-30SM: 60   /  31
    Su-35S: 48   /  34
    Su-34: 124 / 56

Post  Guest on Fri May 15, 2015 7:05 am

George1 wrote:
    Ivan the Colorado wrote:Does anybody have any information about the procurement plan of the VVS?

http://www.russiadefence.net/t3912-pov-russian-air-force-capabilities-and-procurement-plans

Orders include:

Type        No Ord     Delivered
    MiG-29K: 24   /  14
    Su-30SM: 12   /   3
    MiG-29SMT: 16   /   0
    Su-30М2: 20  /   16
    Su-30SM: 60   /  31
    Su-35S: 48   /  34
    Su-34: 124 / 56
    Thank you George1!
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri May 15, 2015 5:44 pm

@Manov

I have not heard anything new but there was a purchase of 14 new types of weapons a few years back, and as new weapons become available and more aircraft enter service able to use those weapons then I suspect new purchases will take place.

I doubt they will buy the new weapons in enormous numbers and any minor conflict with burn through their reserves fairly quickly... most countries don't buy enough of such weapons as they are expensive and have a limited shelf life.

I have noticed a lot of the new weapons have simulators... ie captive sensors so it can simulate having the real weapon on board without using up rail time on the service life of the weapon.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

wes556

more questions

Post  wes556 on Mon May 18, 2015 2:19 am

For my hobby I write a techno thriller. In short, it means that a (civil) war rage between the Russian Federation and the Kaliningrad Oblast, when the last one became independent. The story runs from september 2008 until approximately april 2009 and starts short after the war with Georgia. Unfamiliar with military products and tactics I try to collect on the internet facts that are important to my story. Unfortunately, with reading alone on this wonderful site I can’t get  my questions answered. I hope someone else can:

In what way operates a Russian Beriev A-50 AWACS? Differed this with a NATO E-3?

What kind of resources has an AEW aircraft to defend it selve?

North Korea has an Antonov An-24 transport aircraft equipped with radar of a MiG-29. In my story try the Kaliningraders the Antonov An-71 radar to provide one or more Russian combat aircraft for a rudimentary AEW capability. How much time would pass before anything is implemented in reality?

Kaliningrad oblast is 15,100 square kilometers, what do you need to cover this entire area with an AEW aircraft? For example, is one plane with a  radar range of 250 kilometers sufficient?

What kind of tactics are used by the Russian fighter pilots of MiG-29, Su-27 fighter planes in dogfights?

Are the Chinese using for the Sukhoi Su-27 fighter aircraft and its derived versions same data links as the Russians?

By what name indicate Russian combat pilots an enemy aircraft?
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Mid Air Ammunition Loading: Can a mechanism be developed to reload fighter aircraft with ammunition during mid-flight ?

Post  jhelb on Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:13 pm

I was thinking on the lines of mid air refueling. Can this be done with ammunition as well? Say I want to reload a Su 30 mid air with ammo, what are the challenges that I will face? And can these challenges be overcome?
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:03 pm

The racks, launching racks and fix points on aircrafts are not automatic but all manual, meaning workers and mechanics have to bring bombs, missiles equipment in position and then have to connect wiring, tighten the screws and connect safety pins from bombs to fixing hardpoint to assure that bombs are working properly and when used and dropped from their pylons that the safety pin gets pulled out.

If you want to make it all mid-air automated you would need many more devices, equipment on the aircrafts itself, many more cameras to observe Fighter and Reloading tanker, so they do not collide mid air. You would need an extracting mechanism from reloading aircraft and this aircraft would be overexpensive, highly dangerous maneuver and procedure and by the end you would end with higher costs then just using an Aircraft carrier that is used as a mobile airfield and ammunition depot.

If you really want something like that, yes i would say it would be possible, but unlikely to work like intended and have zero advantages, because such an aircrafts weights alot and needs protection from fighters, which slows down fighters and exposes them to the enemy and only attracts enemy fighters due the immense RCS, just not feasiable.

zackyx

Post  zackyx on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:25 pm

https://youtu.be/CLkboGcbMaA?t=1m11s

Is the plane firing the rockets a Su-25 ? if yes what kind of targetting pod is it using ?
    marcinko

Russian planes MCR

Post  marcinko on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:22 am

Hi there,

does anybody has Mission Capability Rates figures for russian fighters ?

Nevermind time period, squadron etc

Cheers
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Is the plane firing the rockets a Su-25 ? if yes what kind of targetting pod is it using ?

I would say yes... and from the view it appears to be a belly mounted pod rather than anything mounted in the nose of the aircraft.

Sorry, can't help with the type.

Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:05 pm

indochina wrote:I have a question for the seeker head AIM-120C WGU-44 / B-band operation in the I-band, it can be trapped/jamming by the SPS-171 / L005S Sorbtsiya-S H / I band ECM

Yes. In fact if my memory serve me right..self protection jamming against AAM was an objective for the Sorbitsya.

Another problem, RWR SPO-15LM can alert threat, illuminated operation of APG-81 AESA fire-control radar ? I know it works with PESA radar, Pusple-doppler for AESA but I've never heard

Phased Array radar (Be it PESA or AESA) Is expected to be more difficult to intercept with RHAWS/RWR due to their sidelobe and agile beam steering characteristics. Older superheterodyne receiver typical RHAWS used and its associated processing power might have difficulty to reliably intercept highly agile and low sidelobe waveform ESA radar can emit.

So in my view SPO-15 might not up to the task.

R-27EP use ARM seeker head, it can attack the F-35 APG-81 radar used with large radar emitters similar AGM-88, Kh-31P used to combat radar of SAM

Yes but this require stable emission from the radar so the ARM can home in.

Austin

Post  Austin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:19 pm

Does RuAF has Targetting and Navigation Pod comparable to Israel Lightening Pod ?

I read Israel is coming with newer pod called Lightning 5

http://aviationweek.com/paris-air-show-2015/rafael-unveiling-litening-5-reccelite-xr

Litening 5 employs a new sensor pack, utilizing an optical assembly and larger aperture tailored specifically for the new sensors, enabling the increased identification and recognition distance. The pod uses two FLIRS – a Mid-Wave Infra-Red (IR) and Short Wave IR (SWIR). The later extends observation range using active laser illumination. Complementing the sensor pack is a color CCD HD-TV, improving target recognition and separation of man-made objects that are often harder to spot in the thermal, monochromatic image. Color improves the ability to share a common understanding with ground forces and recognize specific vehicles based on their color. Images can be fused or displayed separately, based on the level of avionics used in the aircraft.

Rafael’s “image-based common targeting language,” also known as Matchguide, is integrated in the new pod. This allows rapid target handoff between the targeting pod or ground-based forward air controller and guided weapons carried on board. Matchguide is fully integrated in the Litening 5, enabling the pilot or ground controller to designate a target simply by touching its image on a display to deliver the targeting as coordinates or a scene to the attacking weapon. This method dramatically shortens the “sensor to shooter cycle.”
    GarryB

Does RuAF has Targetting and Navigation Pod comparable to Israel Lightening Pod ?

Post  GarryB on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:43 pm

With source code you can see how the software runs... what sort of inputs each part needs and the sort of data each module requires to function.

with a programme that is compiled you have to manually change the inputs to see what happens and with millions of potential inputs it could take years to tests parameters.

Modern aviation systems are like late model windows in that the operation system controls the hardware while sensors and weapons and addons are allowed access to hardware through the operating systems.

With windows 95 your system could crash all the time if a programme you installed takes too much memory, or does not release memory and runs out or a range of other problems.

With a newer operating system like XP or later the operating system controls the hardware so while programs still might crash the operating system continues and does not need to be rebooted.

New things added are generally plug and play and as long as you install their drivers properly should function properly.

With the source code to the OS you can write your own drivers and add any hardware you like or even new software modules to enhance performance.

The Su-24M is a good example where Gefest & T software added a capability to accurately bomb targets in free flight with a continuously computer bomb aiming system that showed a moving aim point that indicated where a particular bomb would land on the ground if released in real time.

And Austin... of course the Russians are working on targeting pods... the current model for the PAK FA is one and there are others like the one of the MiG-35, and likely the Su-35 will have one too.

User2245

PAK-FA himalaya

Post  User2245 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:53 am

Will the Himalaya in the PAK-FA be similar to the Moscow-1(Moskva-1)
    George1

Post  George1 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:02 am

have u introduce yourself??

read the rules pls
    http://www.russiadefence.net/t67-read-rdf-rules-and-regulations

and dont make additional threads for same subject

Project Canada

Post  Project Canada on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 am

there was this article from the nationalInterest which argues that despite advances in Russian plane manufacturing, the Russian AF still lacks precision strike weapons like those from US/NATO air forces, I know its from a biased publisher, but what comparable weapon systems can Russia offer to counter MBDA Storm Shadow and the Raytheon AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon?
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 am

Project Canada wrote:there was this article from the nationalInterest which argues that despite advances in Russian plane manufacturing, the Russian AF still lacks precision strike weapons like those from US/NATO air forces, I know its from a biased publisher, but what comparable weapon systems can Russia offer to counter MBDA Storm Shadow and the Raytheon AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon?

Your statement is strange. To counter? Well, to counter it would be Pantsir SM systems would be used to strike the cruise missiles before they hit their intended targets. If you mean for missiles that are similar to it? Well, Russia has a whole wide range of cruise missiles and guided munitions.

People always says the same, but never provides actual data. Easy said then, right? I mean, why would Russia whom don't speak English nationally, would read the article and look to counter it? Simply put, look up all the Kh type missiles? What about KAB missiles? So many types.
    GarryB

Any update on anti-aircraft missile complex short-range "Morpheus"

Post  GarryB on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:46 pm

AFAIK Morfei will be a very ambitious weapon whose capability will be rather impressive.

It is a force unified missile so the Air force will use it as the standard short range IR guided missile, while the Army will use it as a short range SAM and the Navy will use it as a CIWS short range missile.

It is reported to use IIR QWIP sensor that actually sees the world in images rather than hot points like old IR guided missiles.

Just as importantly it has a datalink that allows lock on after launch capability... in other words on a ship or submarine you can have these missiles in vertical launch tubes... when the target is detected a missile is launched on autopilot and it flys in the direction of the target and starts looking with its IIR sensor... finds the target and locks on.

this is critical for 5th gen stealth aircraft as it allows the missile to be ejected from an internal weapons bay and fly towards the target and then get a lock. In comparison the fairly clumsy arrangement on the F-22 has the Sidewinders extended out of the weapon bays to allow the seekers see their targets before launch.

Lock on after launch or LOAL means much shorter periods with bays open and also opens the possibility for similar seekers to be used in situations like tank gun launched anti tank weapons where the target is acquired after launch including a top attack munition with a diving top attack profile.

QWIP sensors wont be cheap initially but over time their costs should drop the way CCD sensor chips have to a few cents... making diving top attack munitions cheaper but also much more capable.

The datalink can be used to select targets from the launch platform so firing multiple missiles does not lead to them all locking on to the same target or each other.

George1

removed posts

Post  George1 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Can anyone recognize the type of missile/bomb in yellow lines?

NationalRus

Post  NationalRus on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:04 pm

George1 wrote:

Can anyone recognize the type of missile/bomb in yellow lines?

looks like a bomblet container, like a modern version of КМГУ-2
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:13 pm

ummm... looks to me like external fuel tanks...

Note the fins at the nose of the tanks...

On fuel tanks they are designed to make the nose of the tank drop down so it separates from the aircraft when they are released without moving up and damaging the aircraft or other ordinance when released.

The KGMU munitions carriers didn't have that because they are not released in combat... they stay on the wing and are returned to base to be reloaded.

Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:46 pm

That is what a KGMU-2 container looks like. (LockOn Flamming Cliffs) simulator.

Original.

That Su-25 is using a fuel tank 500l or 750l.
    NationalRus

Post  NationalRus on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:46 am

yeah looks like it is a fuel tank, КМГУ was my first guess since the bottom side looks like it has a hatch in the middle and maybe they test a new version
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Not a big deal... I make mistakes myself... Smile

It wont be in the final test.... Twisted Evil

That is definitely a fuel tank... note in the post above of the KGMU unit the aircraft in the background also has a fuel tank under its wing, but it looks like it is an Su-17 or 22, and does not have the front fins the one on the Su-25 has because the Fitter is a supersonic aircraft and those fins cause a lot of drag...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 am