Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

General Questions Thread:

nastle77
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

S-300 operational towards the end of the cold war 1988-990

Post  nastle77 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:44 am

Does anybody know how many S-300 launchers were operational at the end of the cold war in the late 80s ?
    I have read number of 80 - 85 launchers but it did not list a source ( it was the "essential weapon identification guide" series)

marcinko
    Private
    Private

Russian planes MCR

Post  marcinko on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi there,

does anybody has Mission Capability Rates figures for russian fighters ?

Nevermind time period, squadron etc

Cheers

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: General Questions Thread:

Post  GarryB on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:21 am

Is the plane firing the rockets a Su-25 ? if yes what kind of targetting pod is it using ?

I would say yes... and from the view it appears to be a belly mounted pod rather than anything mounted in the nose of the aircraft.

Sorry, can't help with the type.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

Post  Stealthflanker on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:05 pm

indochina wrote:I have a question for the seeker head AIM-120C WGU-44 / B-band operation in the I-band, it can be trapped/jamming by the SPS-171 / L005S Sorbtsiya-S H / I band ECM

Yes. In fact if my memory serve me right..self protection jamming against AAM was an objective for the Sorbitsya.

Another problem, RWR SPO-15LM can alert threat, illuminated operation of APG-81 AESA fire-control radar ? I know it works with PESA radar, Pusple-doppler for AESA but I've never heard

Phased Array radar (Be it PESA or AESA) Is expected to be more difficult to intercept with RHAWS/RWR due to their sidelobe and agile beam steering characteristics. Older superheterodyne receiver typical RHAWS used and its associated processing power might have difficulty to reliably intercept highly agile and low sidelobe waveform ESA radar can emit.

So in my view SPO-15 might not up to the task.

R-27EP use ARM seeker head, it can attack the F-35 APG-81 radar used with large radar emitters similar AGM-88, Kh-31P used to combat radar of SAM

Yes but this require stable emission from the radar so the ARM can home in.

User2245
    Private
    Private

PAK-FA himalaya

Post  User2245 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:53 am

Will the Himalaya in the PAK-FA be similar to the Moscow-1(Moskva-1)

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:02 am

have u introduce yourself??

read the rules pls
    http://www.russiadefence.net/t67-read-rdf-rules-and-regulations

and dont make additional threads for same subject

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:39 am

there was this article from the nationalInterest which argues that despite advances in Russian plane manufacturing, the Russian AF still lacks precision strike weapons like those from US/NATO air forces, I know its from a biased publisher, but what comparable weapon systems can Russia offer to counter MBDA Storm Shadow and the Raytheon AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon?

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 am

Project Canada wrote:there was this article from the nationalInterest which argues that despite advances in Russian plane manufacturing, the Russian AF still lacks precision strike weapons like those from US/NATO air forces, I know its from a biased publisher, but what comparable weapon systems can Russia offer to counter MBDA Storm Shadow and the Raytheon AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon?

Your statement is strange. To counter? Well, to counter it would be Pantsir SM systems would be used to strike the cruise missiles before they hit their intended targets. If you mean for missiles that are similar to it? Well, Russia has a whole wide range of cruise missiles and guided munitions.

People always says the same, but never provides actual data. Easy said then, right? I mean, why would Russia whom don't speak English nationally, would read the article and look to counter it? Simply put, look up all the Kh type missiles? What about KAB missiles? So many types.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Any update on anti-aircraft missile complex short-range "Morpheus". It is expected that the new system will go to the Russian Air Force in 2015 ?

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:49 pm

I have been told almost 2 years ago now (Militarov will know) that there are certain problems with Morfei and that delays are expected because of it.no word about it for some time now but that is expected from top noch system that will have great impact on the modern battlefield and is first in its class.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:11 am

Viktor wrote:I have been told almost 2 years ago now (Militarov will know) that there are certain problems with Morfei and that delays are expected because of it.no word about it for some time now but that is expected from top noch system that will have great impact on the modern battlefield and is first in its class.

Yeah problems where reported with it, i belive i saw somewhere its pushed for 2018. now, but i guess it will come around.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Any update on anti-aircraft missile complex short-range "Morpheus"

Post  GarryB on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:46 am

AFAIK Morfei will be a very ambitious weapon whose capability will be rather impressive.

It is a force unified missile so the Air force will use it as the standard short range IR guided missile, while the Army will use it as a short range SAM and the Navy will use it as a CIWS short range missile.

It is reported to use IIR QWIP sensor that actually sees the world in images rather than hot points like old IR guided missiles.

Just as importantly it has a datalink that allows lock on after launch capability... in other words on a ship or submarine you can have these missiles in vertical launch tubes... when the target is detected a missile is launched on autopilot and it flys in the direction of the target and starts looking with its IIR sensor... finds the target and locks on.

this is critical for 5th gen stealth aircraft as it allows the missile to be ejected from an internal weapons bay and fly towards the target and then get a lock. In comparison the fairly clumsy arrangement on the F-22 has the Sidewinders extended out of the weapon bays to allow the seekers see their targets before launch.

Lock on after launch or LOAL means much shorter periods with bays open and also opens the possibility for similar seekers to be used in situations like tank gun launched anti tank weapons where the target is acquired after launch including a top attack munition with a diving top attack profile.

QWIP sensors wont be cheap initially but over time their costs should drop the way CCD sensor chips have to a few cents... making diving top attack munitions cheaper but also much more capable.

The datalink can be used to select targets from the launch platform so firing multiple missiles does not lead to them all locking on to the same target or each other.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

removed posts

Post  George1 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:14 am

Can anyone recognize the type of missile/bomb in yellow lines?

NationalRus
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  NationalRus on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:04 am

George1 wrote:

Can anyone recognize the type of missile/bomb in yellow lines?

looks like a bomblet container, like a modern version of КМГУ-2

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:13 am

ummm... looks to me like external fuel tanks...

Note the fins at the nose of the tanks...

On fuel tanks they are designed to make the nose of the tank drop down so it separates from the aircraft when they are released without moving up and damaging the aircraft or other ordinance when released.

The KGMU munitions carriers didn't have that because they are not released in combat... they stay on the wing and are returned to base to be reloaded.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:46 pm

That is what a KGMU-2 container looks like. (LockOn Flamming Cliffs) simulator.

Original.

That Su-25 is using a fuel tank 500l or 750l.

NationalRus
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  NationalRus on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:46 pm

yeah looks like it is a fuel tank, КМГУ was my first guess since the bottom side looks like it has a hatch in the middle and maybe they test a new version

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:42 am

Not a big deal... I make mistakes myself... Smile

It wont be in the final test.... Twisted Evil

That is definitely a fuel tank... note in the post above of the KGMU unit the aircraft in the background also has a fuel tank under its wing, but it looks like it is an Su-17 or 22, and does not have the front fins the one on the Su-25 has because the Fitter is a supersonic aircraft and those fins cause a lot of drag...

headshot69
    Private
    Private

System Question

Post  headshot69 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:58 pm

What kind of system sensor is in red circle? THX
    " />

headshot69
    Private
    Private

Post  headshot69 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:59 pm

mods, pls move my post to Su-35S thread...thx...sorry

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Pls read the rules and introduce yourself first here http://www.russiadefence.net/f6-member-introductions-and-rules

kiskertlugas
    Private
    Private

Can anyone identify these aerial bombs?

Post  kiskertlugas on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi All,

This is a picture from Syria, 2012.
    It shows a VBIED packed with at least 8 aerial bombs, I guess they are soviet-made (FAB).

Can someone experienced ideintify them, at tell the right type? Or at least the explosive amount they contain?

Thank you in advance.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:31 pm

They look like FAB-250

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:51 am

From left to right the first has the distinct shape of a FAB-250 in the old high drag version(model 1954) as opposed to the later streamlined 1962 models.

The next two however look to me to be 203mm shell casings for artillery pieces with the fourth and sixth items being the projectiles for the same weapon...

So FAB-250, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm projectile, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm projectile, 203mm propellent shell case.

kiskertlugas
    Private
    Private

Post  kiskertlugas on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:22 am

GarryB wrote:From left to right the first has the distinct shape of a FAB-250 in the old high drag version(model 1954) as opposed to the later streamlined 1962 models.

The next two however look to me to be 203mm shell casings for artillery pieces with the fourth and sixth items being the projectiles for the same weapon...

So FAB-250, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm projectile, 203mm propellent shell case, 203mm projectile, 203mm propellent shell case.

Thank you for the quick answers.

However, doesn't those in the middle look too big for a 203mm shell? They occupy full width of the truck, and diameter looks bigger than 203mm also.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:43 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:43 pm