Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

General Questions Thread:

Mike E

Re: General Questions Thread:

Post  Mike E on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:26 am

Vann7 wrote:

I was reading that US was working in anti bunker weapons that could penetrate about 300 feet of solid rock or concrete to counter IRANIAN nuclear facilities.  Anyone knows if RUssia have anti bunker penetrating weapons that could do that without relying in brute force nuclear weapons?
    300 feet? That is impossible!
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:56 am

Vann7 wrote:

I was reading that US was working in anti bunker weapons that could penetrate about 300 feet of solid rock or concrete to counter IRANIAN nuclear facilities.  Anyone knows if RUssia have anti bunker penetrating weapons that could do that without relying in brute force nuclear weapons?

From what I heard those super bunker busters were actually tactical nuclear warheads, the irony is that the whole empty rhetoric about "we must stop Iran before they obtain a nuke" fails miserably when they advocate the use of nuclear weapons against a non-nuclear country, which never ceases to amaze me! Then again these are the same pathetic neo-cons who cry and whine about North Korea's very limited nuclear capability, only for it come out that Donald Rumsfeld sold '2' nuclear reactors to North Korea, and those same neo-cons would never hold one of their own accountable (Hell he was even promoted to the White house):

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/rumsfeld-was-on-abb-board-during-deal-with-north-korea/3176922
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:07 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

From what I heard those super bunker busters were actually tactical nuclear warheads, the irony is that the whole empty rhetoric about "we must stop Iran before they obtain a nuke" fails miserably when they advocate the use of nuclear weapons against a non-nuclear country, which never ceases to amaze me! Then again these are the same pathetic neo-cons who cry and whine about North Korea's very limited nuclear capability, only for it come out that Donald Rumsfeld sold '2' nuclear reactors to North Korea, and those same neo-cons would never hold one of their own accountable (Hell he was even promoted to the White house):

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/rumsfeld-was-on-abb-board-during-deal-with-north-korea/3176922
    Very ironic... The worst part is that the general American public would probably support something like that!
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:21 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

The entire US is ironic and hypocritical where ever you look.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:07 pm

...And they are too idiotic to know that....

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Mike E wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

US already have bombs that can penetrate 200 feet.. GBU-57A/B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Ordnance_Penetrator

And as i said they were working in a bomb that could penetrate 300 feet .. You need big cargo planes like  B-52
    to carry such bombs. They are likely nuclear low level reaction they used to destroy the world trade center in 9/11 ALCIADA attacks.  I think the chemical reaction totally melts rock and reinforced concrete and steel. Of course Russia have no need for those weapons  ,they are happy enough with big nukes.. but was wondering if Russia had massive anti bunker weapons as heavy as that.
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:05 pm

13.000 kg bomb... Russia does not neet 13.000kg and it does not even need to penetrate the bunker just drop it somehwere near an exist/entrance a FOAB that weights less and will vaporize every bacteria inside the bunker complex.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:17 am

Vann7 wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

US already have bombs that can penetrate 200 feet.. GBU-57A/B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Ordnance_Penetrator

And as i said they were working in a bomb that could penetrate 300 feet .. You need big cargo planes like  B-52
    to carry such bombs. They are likely nuclear low level reaction they used to destroy the world trade center in 9/11 ALCIADA attacks.  I think the chemical reaction totally melts rock and reinforced concrete and steel. Of course Russia have no need for those weapons  ,they are happy enough with big nukes.. but was wondering if Russia had massive anti bunker weapons as heavy as that.
    That is still a hundred feet deep short...

They are too big to be used anyway! Friggin' 14,000 kg!

calripson

2014 Deliveries

Post  calripson on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:52 am

Anyone know how many of the following have been delivered so far in 2014:

1. Su 35
    2. Su 30SM
    3. Su30M2
    4. Su34
    5.Ka 52
    6.Mi 28
    7. Mi 35
    8. Mi 17 derivatives
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:00 am

In all honesty, I don't know... It is best to go to the thread of each aircraft you mentioned, and look there.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:10 pm

The problem with these deep bunkers is not their depth, it is their precise location and layout.

If I said I had an underground lair that is 200ft down a 300ft penetrator is only as useful as your accurate knowledge of where my bunker actually is.

If standard bombs are useless under 300ft of granite then a 300ft miss to one side or the other will be equally useless even with a miracle 300ft penetrator.

Now if you are bombing Chinese embassies, or trying to bring down cable cars or taking out Japanese fishing boats near Hawaii then I would have confidence in US military intelligence to get the job done.

Even if they could pin point the target precisely flying such an enormous bomb to near that sort of target would enable the Iranians to set up a single TOR battery to hit the incoming penetrator and damage it to the point where it will likely just splatter on the surface, if not detonate mid air.... or at the very least have its control surfaces blown off and miss the target area by a wide margin... making it to all intents and purposes useless.... more so if it is nuclear...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:36 am

GarryB wrote:The problem with these deep bunkers is not their depth, it is their precise location and layout.

If I said I had an underground lair that is 200ft down a 300ft penetrator is only as useful as your accurate knowledge of where my bunker actually is.

If standard bombs are useless under 300ft of granite then a 300ft miss to one side or the other will be equally useless even with a miracle 300ft penetrator.

Now if you are bombing Chinese embassies, or trying to bring down cable cars or taking out Japanese fishing boats near Hawaii then I would have confidence in US military intelligence to get the job done.

Even if they could pin point the target precisely flying such an enormous bomb to near that sort of target would enable the Iranians to set up a single TOR battery to hit the incoming penetrator and damage it to the point where it will likely just splatter on the surface, if not detonate mid air.... or at the very least have its control surfaces blown off and miss the target area by a wide margin... making it to all intents and purposes useless.... more so if it is nuclear...
    Great point... Plus, added layers of "armor" (newer mixes of concrete and composite matrices etc.) combined with a naturally hard shape (triangles and domes) should fend off everything but a direct hit.
    redgiacomo

Post  redgiacomo on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi guys! has anyone informations regarding the habits of the Russian fighter pilots? How long and whereby
    is structured their training? How pilots call each other during the radio communications? Is there a standard identification word or code for enemy airplanes during the fight?Up to what age can pilots fly ?
    And finally on average how many flight hours per year they get?
    Giulio

Unusual level of Russian air activity over European airspace

Post  Giulio on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:47 pm

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:43 am

Why wouldn't they increase flights in the area... NATO has moved lots of forces into the area too... why wouldn't the Russians want to monitor them?

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    George1

Post  George1 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:00 am

Is there any plans for RuAF in future to be procured a strategic airlift aircraft of 70-80ton class? Like An-22
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:54 am

Is there any plans for RuAF in future to be procured a strategic airlift aircraft of 70-80ton class? Like An-22

AFAIK Ilyusion is planning a new transport aircraft in the 80 ton payload class that will likely be based on the new wide bodied airliners they are developing with China. AFAIK they plan to have it ready by 2025 or so, so it wont be ready any time soon. Its primary competition on the international market would be the C-17 so I think they should try to make it sooner but obviously they have other plans.

George1

Post  George1 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:59 am

GarryB wrote:

AFAIK Ilyusion is planning a new transport aircraft in the 80 ton payload class that will likely be based on the new wide bodied airliners they are developing with China. AFAIK they plan to have it ready by 2025 or so, so it wont be ready any time soon. Its primary competition on the international market would be the C-17 so I think they should try to make it sooner but obviously they have other plans.

Development of ultra-heavy Il plane to begin in 2016, mass production to start in 2023
    November 21, 23:47 UTC+3

ULYANOVSK, November 21. /TASS/. The development of the ultra-heavy plane Il that is to replace An-22 and An-124 planes will begin in 2016, Sergei Sergeyev, Director General of the Il company, said on Friday.

“The development of the first plane in this family will begin in 2016,” he said, adding that mass production of such planes would be kicked off in 2023-2024,

These planes will be assembled at the Ulyanovsk-based Aviastar-SP aircraft-maker.

“The plant will assemble at least one or two ultra-heavy planes with a carrying capacity of more than 80 tonnes,” he said, adding that this project looked very promising on the commercial market.

http://en.itar-tass.com/economy/761100
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:19 am

Yes, that is the one...

George1

Post  George1 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:20 pm

GarryB wrote:Yes, that is the one...

so it will be analogous to C-17 ?
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:25 am

George1 wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Yes, that is the one...

so it will be analogous to C-17 ?

No, it would be in the An-22/An-124 class.

It should be realized that a practical max payload of 80 tonnes translates to something like a 120 tonne of impractical payload capability, and after factoring the Russian obligatory understatements in such situations, the capability translates to at least 120 tonne practical max payload and 180 tonne impractical payload capability.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:29 am

It would be a class above the C-17 and probably 1/10th its price... C-17s carry about 70 tons max and seem to cost half a billion dollars each... this new plane should sell like hotcakes when it is ready...

George1

Post  George1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:55 am

Does Russia has Myasishchev M-55 high attitude aircraft in service today??

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:37 am

Not sure, but I have always liked that aircraft...

BTW if a picture has a credit it should be included.

Not suggesting you removed it of course, but credit should be given where possible to the original photographer... especially a good one like Vitaly.

Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:43 am

What are those sensors on the leading wing edge?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 pm