Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+49
Erk
Firebird
Sprut-B
SeigSoloyvov
Mir
sepheronx
lancelot
Dr.Snufflebug
franco
mnztr
billybatts91
andalusia
TMA1
Arkanghelsk
nomadski
Kiko
flamming_python
lyle6
Backman
ahmedfire
magnumcromagnon
eridan
d_taddei2
Admin
LMFS
ATLASCUB
PapaDragon
kvs
miketheterrible
Isos
The Ottoman
Airman
Sinan
AlfaT8
KKTC
eehnie
Zivo
TheGeorgian
max steel
KoTeMoRe
JohninMK
Rodinazombie
assslan
As Sa'iqa
Hannibal Barca
GarryB
George1
Werewolf
Mike E
53 posters

Turkey relations with US and NATO

Poll

Are they leaving the US' influence?

[ 9 ]
    Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_left29%Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_right [29%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_left16%Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_right [16%] 
    [ 13 ]
    Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_left42%Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_right [42%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_left13%Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Bar_right [13%] 

Total Votes: 31
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Empty Re: Turkey relations with US and NATO

Post  miketheterrible Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Yet fossil fuels account for less than a quarter of Russia's economic activity. Purpose of import substitution is that the private market in Russia still has access to the necessary goods without having to import it. And that is increasing substantially in last couple of years. Turkey may not be same as of course there was mismanagement, but doesn't need the US as much as we like to think.

As well, US growth entirely correlates to their quantitative easing they did over the years. This year, set to increase debt even more.

But I digress. We are to be talking of Turkey. And we'll, we will see where it goes. Nations have survived and developed without the necessary access to the west. I understand modern economics state so currently, but that will change thanks to US actions worldwide.
    Admin
    Admin

Turkey relations with US and NATO - Page 4 Empty Re: Turkey relations with US and NATO

Post  Admin Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 pm

miketheterrible wrote:Yet fossil fuels account for less than a quarter of Russia's economic activity. Purpose of import substitution is that the private market in Russia still has access to the necessary goods without having to import it.  And that is increasing substantially in last couple of years. Turkey may not be same as of course there was mismanagement, but doesn't need the US as much as we like to think.

As well, US growth entirely correlates to their quantitative easing they did over the years. This year, set to increase debt even more.

But I digress. We are to be talking of Turkey. And we'll, we will see where it goes. Nations have survived and developed without the necessary access to the west. I understand modern economics state so currently, but that will change thanks to US actions worldwide.

The vast majority of things we buy are not Russian. You can't even get a Russian car anymore, Lada is now a subsidiary of Renault. All of these foreign goods we are buying are paid for with our commodities exports. We could not balance our accounts without them as we do not export enough finished goods to cover it. We are suffering the same globalisation reliance problem as Turkey, the only difference is we have the commodities to make up the difference.

Turkey does not need the US at all, they do need the EU and if the US tells them to stop taking Turkish lira, you will see their banks come to heel. Turkey can survive like Venezuela, but even Turkey has greater domestic problems with the Kurds that when social order is lost, they will have a civil war they can't control with no bankroll to pay for internal security.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:10 am

Turkey does not need the US at all, they do need the EU and if the US tells them to stop taking Turkish

EU is already fed up of US sanctions against Iran. Turkey is somehow a democratic country witha strong leader that was elected and it is a big market. They won't screw their relations with Turkey over 4 batteries of s-400.

They are also the 2nd Nato army. The only near the middle east. And they control the Black sea entry.

US under Trump like to put sanctions against everyone invluding EU and China. In my opinion even if I know basicaly nothing in international eco and trades, it is very bad for them.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 am

Vladimir79 wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Yet fossil fuels account for less than a quarter of Russia's economic activity. Purpose of import substitution is that the private market in Russia still has access to the necessary goods without having to import it.  And that is increasing substantially in last couple of years. Turkey may not be same as of course there was mismanagement, but doesn't need the US as much as we like to think.

The vast majority of things we buy are not Russian.  You can't even get a Russian car anymore, Lada is now a subsidiary of Renault.  All of these foreign goods we are buying are paid for with our commodities exports.  We could not balance our accounts without them as we do not export enough finished goods to cover it.  We are suffering the same globalisation reliance problem as Turkey, the only difference is we have the commodities to make up the difference.      

Turkey does not need the US at all, they do need the EU and if the US tells them to stop taking Turkish lira, you will see their banks come to heel.  Turkey can survive like Venezuela, but even Turkey has greater domestic problems with the Kurds that when social order is lost, they will have a civil war they can't control with no bankroll to pay for internal security.  

Ownership is totally different than foreign made. Ladas are still made in Russia. Majority of parts are still too.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 am

miketheterrible wrote:Yet fossil fuels account for less than a quarter of Russia's economic activity. Purpose of import substitution is that the private market in Russia still has access to the necessary goods without having to import it.  And that is increasing substantially in last couple of years.

Fossil fuels account for less than 8% of Russia's GDP and 17% of consolidated tax revenue. People need to update their knowledge instead
    of swallowing NATO propaganda.

https://www.awaragroup.com/blog/russian-economy-2014-2016-the-years-of-sanctions-warfare/

(note that 10% includes all mining activity in Russia so by definition oil and gas are less than 10% and the amount of mining in
    Russia is substantial.)

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:29 am

Exactly.

And even if the businesses are foreign owned, the factories can be taken over in worst case scenario. What matters is that production is at home
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:36 pm

miketheterrible wrote:

Ownership is totally different than foreign made. Ladas are still made in Russia. Majority of parts are still too.

They are framed and assembled in Togliatti that had 120,000 employees making every part of the cars. Now that the French have reduced the numbers to 38,000 there are few parts made in Russia. Such was not the case in 2014 but they had so many defects in the parts they began outsourcing commonality of parts with Renault and Nissan models also made there.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:38 pm

kvs wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Yet fossil fuels account for less than a quarter of Russia's economic activity. Purpose of import substitution is that the private market in Russia still has access to the necessary goods without having to import it.  And that is increasing substantially in last couple of years.

Fossil fuels account for less than 8% of Russia's GDP and 17% of consolidated tax revenue.    People need to update their knowledge instead

https://www.awaragroup.com/blog/russian-economy-2014-2016-the-years-of-sanctions-warfare/

(note that 10% includes all mining activity in Russia so by definition oil and gas are less than 10% and the amount of mining in
    Russia is substantial.)

It doesn't matter what % of GDP it is as internal activity has nothing to do with the current account.  What matters is the percentage of exports and commodities are over 70%.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:

They are framed and assembled in Togliatti that had 120,000 employees making every part of the cars.  Now that the French have reduced the numbers to 38,000 there are few parts made in Russia.  Such was not the case in 2014 but they had so many defects in the parts they began outsourcing commonality of parts with Renault and Nissan models also made there.  

Then exactly how much of it is imported parts vs none?  I have seen various numbers but I am curious what you state. What I heard/read was 67% roughly of localization of parts. Ford produces 50% or close to. I doubt Lada vehicles would have less.

Vladimir79 wrote:
    kvs wrote:

Fossil fuels account for less than 8% of Russia's GDP and 17% of consolidated tax revenue.    People need to update their knowledge instead

Russia is substantial.)

It doesn't matter what % of GDP it is as internal activity has nothing to do with the current account.  What matters is the percentage of exports and commodities are over 70%.

That doesn't matter.  Believe me, coming from a country that produces way less than Russia does and has a deficit in current account for a very long time.  Economic activity in Russia Turkey or anywhere can be adjusted with no export at all too.  It isn't be all end all.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:35 pm

miketheterrible wrote:Then exactly how much of it is imported parts vs none?  I have seen various numbers but I am curious what you state.  What I heard/read was 67% roughly of localization of parts.  Ford produces 50% or close to.  I doubt Lada vehicles would have less.

The body and frame are fabricated locally, the fasteners are local, the steel is local. They fabricate the pistons and case on one of the engine models but that is a recent thing.  The breaks used to be local but they cancelled that after high failure rates.  I can't remember if they closed the upholstery line.  They fired the vast majority of people that worked there.

That doesn't matter.  Believe me, coming from a country that produces way less than Russia does and has a deficit in current account for a very long time.  Economic activity in Russia Turkey or anywhere can be adjusted with no export at all too.  It isn't be all end all.

It matters for us because our exports are not diversified; it is commodities, equipment associated with commodities and weapons.  If China has an economic crisis it will effect our current accounts greatly.  I see where you are from, you have a similar situation but you have vast resources to close your current accounts and far more diversified than us... Turkey does not.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 am

We are nowhere near diversified as you guys.  Can you name me a Canadian product? We don't even make much for weapons anymore other than LavIII and AR-15 style rifles.  Our exports consist of automobiles (US made ones) and minerals.

You guys sell more in terms of other end goods than us.  Energy based ones, high tech, machinery, agriculture (for crying out loud, Rostelsmash owns our only tractor company), etc.

So no, actually you guys are more diversified than us.  I know this cause the fact we have to import train components for public transit, from Spain.  I was lucky to have family in government that deals with this kind of crap.  80% of our exports goes to 1 nation - USA.  And we give them oil at cost of $35 per bbl, and we end up buying back petrol from them at cost plus - that cost being oil prices on global market.  So we are losing billions per year to the Americans in our oil sales.  And we still import oil off of Newfoundland from Saudi Arabia.  Can you believe that?  It is stupid. But, like Russia, Canada doesn't rely on its current account (export) on its economic prosperity. Russia just has good current account but it only accounts for small portion of its total economy. That will continue to shrink when service sector increases and further self sufficiency. Turkey is working on that path too. It isn't easy, and it will continue to be hard. But they will get over it. They have no choice, as you pointed it out.

Edit: as well, it seems that localization of parts for Ford is around 60%, not 50%.  So I assume that Ladas would be much more than that, than ford.

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/101371/
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:53 am

miketheterrible wrote:We are nowhere near diversified as you guys.  Can you name me a Canadian product? We don't even make much for weapons anymore other than LavIII and AR-15 style rifles.  Our exports consist of automobiles (US made ones) and minerals.

You guys sell more in terms of other end goods than us.  Energy based ones, high tech, machinery, agriculture (for crying out loud, Rostelsmash owns our only tractor company), etc.

So no, actually you guys are more diversified than us.  I know this cause the fact we have to import train components for public transit, from Spain.  I was lucky to have family in government that deals with this kind of crap.  80% of our exports goes to 1 nation - USA.  And we give them oil at cost of $35 per bbl, and we end up buying back petrol from them at cost plus - that cost being oil prices on global market.  So we are losing billions per year to the Americans in our oil sales.  And we still import oil off of Newfoundland from Saudi Arabia.  Can you believe that?  It is stupid.

Edit: as well, it seems that localization of parts for Ford is around 60%, not 50%.  So I assume that Ladas would be much more than that, than ford.

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/101371/

Your exports are more diversified than ours...

http://www.worldstopexports.com/canadas-top-exports/
    http://www.worldstopexports.com/russias-top-10-exports/

The measure of localisation of parts is based on the number of parts, not the value.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:35 am

I'll question that greatly,, especially since we know exactly what's made here. And who owns what. We can contest this but KVS can agree to it too since he is also Canadian. Don't believe everything being read. Those machine parts and automotives? Who makes them? Who owns them? Etc.

Aircraft and space parts?  were is Russia's military sales in that one?  Bombardier isn't even ours anymore, its airbus and most has moved production cause Bombardiers performance was garbage.  Same with their production of train carts for crying out loud.  I guarantee you that listing is grossly incomplete.

Its sad that we have to discuss this.  Russia, which produces 6 of the modules for space while Canada produces a robotic arm, Russia with a growing civil airplane sales, with a growing fabrication plant for IC production while Canada lost ours after ATI was sold off to AMD, etc.

Edit: Anyway, I don't care much about exporting as it doesn't actually talk about full health of the economy.  Look at total contribution of exports to Russias overall economy and then you get the picture.  Autarkys have existed and will continue to exist in future because of the fact you open yourself up to devastation with relying on exports.  I would love to obtain various Russian technologies and goods in Canada here, but that will never happen cause Russians are not the greatest in marketing, and due to politics, it wont make it out west.  Guarantee you the Lada Vesta or Xray runs thousands times better than my POS Dodge Journey made in Canada which has so many issues now, it wont pass next inspection.

Also, I want to apologize that I have gone off topic as well.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Your machine and automobiles are probably owned by the Americans but have operations in Canada that export to the US as your major trading partner. Your industry is also tied to the American MIC so you get to export for their defence and space programme. The French masterfully stole Bombardier from you based on the threat of US tariffs which never would have come according to the court ruling. You do have a more diversified export sector but it is dependent on the Americans and subject to their trade policies.

We export rockets to the French for use at their Space Port in S. America but that is the majority of our space exports, aside from helping India's new space programme. Our aerospace industry is subject to the French participation in the SSJ100 and they control our automobile production.

To get back on topic is getting to the current accounts and it's importance to fiscal health. If you don't have a balanced current account your country is in a debt spiral, the Americans can make it last for decades as the reserve currency, Canada and Russia have vast natural resources to balance the current account. Turkey has nothing to balance theirs accept a healthy tourism industry that brings in much needed foreign currency. The more unstable their regime and unfriendly attitude to tourist nations the harder it will be for them to get those tourists with the foreign currency they need. They are getting more tourists now as their currency falls but those tourists are spending less per person and has been that way ever since the lira started its long decline a decade ago.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:41 am

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:56 pm

The lira is sitting at 6 to the dollar... lol!
    Airman
    Airman

Post  Airman Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:09 am

Trump says US 'relations with Turkey are not good at this time'

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Aug. 10 he had authorized higher tariffs on imports from Turkey, imposing a 20 percent duty on aluminum and 50 percent one on steel, as tensions mount between the two NATO allies over Ankara's imprisonment of an evangelical pastor and other diplomatic issues.

"I have just authorized a doubling of Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum with respect to Turkey as their currency, the Turkish Lira, slides rapidly downward against our very strong Dollar!" Trump said in an early morning post on Twitter. "Aluminum will now be 20 percent and Steel 50 percent. Our relations with Turkey are not good at this time!"

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/trump-says-us-relations-with-turkey-are-not-good-at-this-time-135672
    Airman
    Airman

Post  Airman Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 am

Our economy is getting worse and worse day by day. it has nothing to do with Trump or his sanctions to Turkey or imprisonment of Pastor Brunson. These are small reasons that accelerate economic collapse in Turkey. Our economy began to weaken in 2013, when FED took decision to increase interest rates and stop pumping dollars in the markets. The countries most affected by the FED's decision are developing countries like Turkey and Argentina. Argentina's economy is a little bit stabilized in now a days. However, In 2013, Our goverment dıdnt take any take steps about incoming economic collapse that comes after the FED's decision. Only thing that our goverment did between 2013 and 2018 is building Apartments, Bridges, Roads and Airports. They also killed the agricultural and livestock industries in Turkey and now we are buying livestocks from Balkans and wheat from Russia. Now, Turkey is a country that doesn't produce anything but consuming like crazy.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Airman wrote:Our economy is getting worse and worse day by day. it has nothing to do with Trump or his sanctions to Turkey or imprisonment of Pastor Brunson. These are small reasons that accelerate economic collapse in Turkey. Our economy began to weaken in 2013, when FED took decision to increase interest rates and stop pumping dollars in the markets. The countries most affected by the FED's decision are developing countries like Turkey and Argentina. Argentina's economy is a little bit stabilized in now a days. However, In 2013, Our goverment dıdnt take any take steps about incoming economic collapse that comes after the FED's decision. Only thing that our goverment did between 2013 and 2018 is building Apartments, Bridges, Roads and Airports. They also killed the agricultural and livestock industries in Turkey and now we are buying livestocks from Balkans and wheat from Russia. Now, Turkey is a country that doesn't produce anything but consuming like crazy.

The fundamentals of your economy are weak, high external debt, low FX reserves, high current accounts deficit. If Erdogan doesn't do something he will find himself on his knees in a month or so. If he doesn't release the pastor the US will block an IMF bailout. The only other place to turn is China. We have some money but not enough to bailout Turkey. Even a bailout isn't a solution that will fix your structural problems. Argentina raised interest rates to 40% which helped stabalise their currency. Erdogan has some half baked economic policy where he thinks low interest rates mean low inflation. When he said that on Bloomberg was when the lira really started its decline and the more he showed he actually believed it was when investors started the collapse of the lira.

Your housing bubble has definitely burst, more like blown up in Erdogan's face. What gets me is your reliance on imported food when you have crops rotting in the fields. Your subsidy system for agriculture is messed up. To get out from under foreign influence you must pay back over 50% of GDP to foreign creditors. As long as you are reliant on foreign financing you can never truly have your own sovereignty.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Economic war has been declared on Turkey. It is useless to blame Erdogan and start arguing how the markets would react differently to different economic policies. Fact is pals are treated magnanimously by the establishment while foes are crushed, and the agenda now is to get Turkey on its knees.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:38 pm

LMFS wrote:Economic war has been declared on Turkey. It is useless to blame Erdogan and start arguing how the markets would react differently to different economic policies. Fact is pals are treated magnanimously by the establishment while foes are crushed, and the agenda now is to get Turkey on its knees.

Erdogan created the current economic model reliant on foreign capital, there is no one else to blame but him. It is not useless to talk about how he created this problem as fixing it is the only way to bring Turkey back to fiscal solvency.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    LMFS wrote:Economic war has been declared on Turkey. It is useless to blame Erdogan and start arguing how the markets would react differently to different economic policies. Fact is pals are treated magnanimously by the establishment while foes are crushed, and the agenda now is to get Turkey on its knees.

Erdogan created the current economic model reliant on foreign capital, there is no one else to blame but him.  It is not useless to talk about how he created this problem as fixing it is the only way to bring Turkey back to fiscal solvency.  

The issue is that for going from point A (typical western vassal with high reliance on foreign capital) to point B (diversified, self reliant low debt economy) Turkey is going to suffer. There is no way to avoid it as there has been no other way for the rest of non-aligned countries.

Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:52 pm

So there are still people who believe that this has anything to do with Branson or the Skripal's etc. 

Turkey is a goner from USA influence and in case you haven't notice China is its biggest partner and Iran's oil more important than any bubble credit West can pump. 

Why they decided to depart I don't know, but now there is no turning back. If things become desperate, I wouldn't even try to bail out, just default on my debts the good old way, pre 1945.

This is an excellent passage from zero hedge:

So, at any point Turkey could have knuckled under.  It could have negotiated with Trump to avoid this.  But, given that they refused to it tells me a number of things:
    [list="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0.25em 0px 0.75em; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 40px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-variant-east-asian: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.3; font-family: lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; list-style-position: outside; color: rgb(61, 61, 61); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"]
    [*]Erdogan has the popular support to ride this out.
    [*]Erdogan has the international support of his new friends: Russia, China, Iran and India to keep the internal Turkish markets liquid.
    [*]Erdogan is preparing for the move to leave NATO, now that China is prepared to militarily support the last phase of the Syrian Civil War in cleaning up Idlib.
    [*]Turkey’s refusal to stop doing business with Russia and Iran on energy and defense puts them in a strong position to remake much of their economy.
    [*]The Dollar will be removed from the Turkish economy in response to this regime-change attempt.
    [/list]
    These are the things we know.  We also know that China is Turkey’s biggest trading partner and will keep Turkey liquid through dollar-lira-yuan swaps.
    Now that we have that out of the way it is really that hard to believe that Turkey didn’t invite this attack by the U.S.?
    The proof of this is Erdogan’s refusal to accede to capital controls.  He’s letting the capital flight happen.  He wants the pain to be felt by everyone.  And once it’s over, Turkey can rebuild its currency, since it has huge gold and foreign currency reserves and low sovereign debt-to-GDP.
    In other words, Erdogan is forcing a shock de-dollarization of the Turkish economy.  So, by the way, is Iran.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:18 pm

The Indians don't view Turkey as an ally. They see them as backing Pakistan their mortal enemies. China needs them for OBOR which is falling on its face under debt pressure. The Syrian islamists they are paying to do their dirty work across the border are defecting with their paycheck not even worth toilet paper. The EU is Turkey's largest trading partner and holder of their debts. It is Europe Erdogan must appease and the only way to get their support is to withdraw from Cyprus that is in talks of dumping the lira for euro.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm

U.S Congress to Lift Cyprus Arms Embargo

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5508/text?format=txt

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:45 am