Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Soviet SAM systems. What are your thoughts?

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Soviet SAM systems

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:36 am

With still a huge number of Soviet made SAM systems still in operation around the world i was looking to see what peoples views are on these systems and how capable they are on the modern battlefield up against NATO aircraft.

the following systems are the ones in question. And we can assume that they have had the latest upgrades if it makes it easier to answer.

SA-2 (S-75M)
    SA-3 (S-125 Neva/Pechora)
    SA-4 (2K11 Krug)
    SA-5 (S-200)
    SA-6 (2K12 Kub)
    SA-8 (9K33 Osa)
    SA-9 (9K31 Strela-1)
    SA-13 (9K35 Strela-10)
    SA-19 (2K22 Tunguska)

I haven't included the MANPAD's SA-7, SA-14, SA-16, SA-18, but if you want to mention please feel free i also havent mentioned the SA-1 (S-25 Berkut) as North Korea is the only current operator and i guessing that the condition of these will be poor and possibly out of service due to condition, but yet again feel free to mention if you want.

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Soviet SAM systems. What are your thoughts?

Post  kvs on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:54 am

d_taddei2 wrote:With still a huge number of Soviet made SAM systems still in operation around the world i was looking to see what peoples views are on these systems and how capable they are on the modern battlefield up against NATO aircraft.

the following systems are the ones in question. And we can assume that they have had the latest upgrades if it makes it easier to answer.

SA-2 (S-75M)
    SA-4 (2K11 Krug)
    SA-5 (S-200)
    SA-6 (2K12 Kub)
    SA-8 (9K33 Osa)
    SA-9 (9K31 Strela-1)
    SA-13 (9K35 Strela-10)
    SA-19 (2K22 Tunguska)

I haven't included the MANPAD's SA-7, SA-14, SA-16, SA-18, but if you want to mention please feel free i also havent mentioned the SA-1 (S-25 Berkut) as North Korea is the only current operator and i guessing that the condition of these will be poor and possibly out of service due to condition, but yet again feel free to mention if you want.

The story of the F-117 shootdown during the 1999 NATO war on Serbia is good indication that these system are only
    obsolete if not used creatively.

http://www.defenceaviation.com/2007/02/how-was-f-117-shot-down-part-1.html

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:35 am

The issue is value for money.

If you had no SAMs at all and were looking to buy then it would not make sense to buy old systems and then upgrade them.

If however you already had lots of systems in service and they were getting long in the tooth the choice is upgrade or replace and that is where the decision becomes much less clear cut...

The newer SAMs are rather more capable but also rather more expensive due to more sophisticated sensors and support systems.

Of course the upgrades for older models include many of those improved sensors and systems so the costs are not that different, while performance will be different.

An example would be the choice of TOR or OSA with an upgrade... ironically you could buy OSA and pay to have a ARH sensor for each missile dramatically increasing the cost of the SA-8 missiles but also making them vastly more capable and fully fire and forget. Or you could spend a small fortune on TOR with powerful 3D radar and tracking radar and simple and very cheap command guided missiles...

It really depends on what you want or need and what you already have.

Note they produced about 100,000 SA-1s and since the 1970s have used about 20,000 as training targets... and will likely continue to use them in such a role. they also have other model SAMs used as targets for newer systems too.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:59 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:With still a huge number of Soviet made SAM systems still in operation around the world i was looking to see what peoples views are on these systems and how capable they are on the modern battlefield up against NATO aircraft.

SA-2 (S-75M)
    SA-4 (2K11 Krug)
    SA-5 (S-200)
    SA-6 (2K12 Kub)
    SA-8 (9K33 Osa)
    SA-9 (9K31 Strela-1)
    SA-13 (9K35 Strela-10)
    SA-19 (2K22 Tunguska)

why you open threads of same subject?? there is already one exactly the same

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:29 am

George1 wrote:

SA-2 (S-75M)
    SA-4 (2K11 Krug)
    SA-5 (S-200)
    SA-6 (2K12 Kub)
    SA-8 (9K33 Osa)
    SA-9 (9K31 Strela-1)
    SA-13 (9K35 Strela-10)
    SA-19 (2K22 Tunguska)

why you open threads of same subject?? there is already one exactly the same

sorry never realised there was one please share the link of the thread you are refering to for Soviet SAM's

rambo54
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

S-125

Post  rambo54 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:55 pm

Sat Pics from 2015 & 2016 show Pechora 2M equipment at Site 60, Kapustin Yar.
    Any ideas why they test this system? It is not new (in principle) and not intended for the Russian Army and I think they will not made final tests for export issues at Site 60

Isos
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  Isos on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:57 pm

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Just found that simulator. I didn't upload it but their are videos on the website made by ex profesioal radar oprators that show how they shoot F-117. If anyone has informations about it, please share them.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:07 am

rambo54 wrote:Sat Pics from 2015 & 2016 show Pechora 2M equipment at Site 60, Kapustin Yar.
    Any ideas why they test this system? It is not new (in principle) and not intended for the Russian Army and I think they will not made final tests for export issues at Site 60

Russia has developed a missile with the warhead replaced with telemetry instrumentation, for use as target drones. So i am guessing that this is being used for this purpose considering Kapustin Yars is a test facility.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:10 am

Isos wrote:https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Just found that simulator. I didn't upload it but their are videos on the website made by ex profesioal radar oprators that show how they shoot F-117. If anyone has informations about it, please share them.

you will need to try it out and let us know how it goes could be fun

eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  eehnie on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:17 am

rambo54 wrote:Sat Pics from 2015 & 2016 show Pechora 2M equipment at Site 60, Kapustin Yar.

I think these would not be exactly SA-3 systems, but the target missiles developed from them.

From what I see in the public reports, target missiles for development of new systems and training have been developed from:

SA-1
    SA-2
    SA-3

BM-21
    SA-6
    SA-8

After a transformation changing the nature of the missiles and Rockets (being not more SAM or Surface-Surface weapons) these (and other) systems are used as target missiles. If fact it would not be right to say that SA-1, SA-2, SA-3, BM-21, SA-6 or SA-8 systems are used as target missiles. In the case of the BM-21, SA-6 and SA-8, the weapons remain in use for their original purpose.

In the following link there is access to the different types of target missiles used, checking the "Rocket target and target systems" part. According to the information, some of them have been developed from SAM systems and others not.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rusarmy.com%2Fpvo.html
    http://www.rusarmy.com/pvo.html

Last edited by eehnie on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:45 pm; edited 3 times in total

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:44 am

The Lissa-M mobile ground based system with Strizh training missiles is an example... it uses the vertically launched SA-1.

The Peniye training target system uses the SA-6 missile, while the RM-75 uses the SA-2 missile system.

There are even combinations where the SA-3 ground based fixed launcher with four launch rails can be used to launch four SA-3 missiles at training targets, but can also be fitted with the missile containers of the SAMAN missile system, so the launcher can be used to launch four SA-3s or four SA-8s to simulate multiple targets.

Note the original OSA vehicle can carry 6 missiles but for a testing range the mobility is not so useful and cheaper static launchers of multiple missiles makes more sense.

The single rail launcher for SA-3 missiles is called Pishchal... and of course the SA-8 Gecko system has Saman target missiles in a fully autonomous system able to simulate small targets like drones, cruise missiles, and HARM missiles.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:07 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:07 am