Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+65
PapaDragon
Stealthflanker
Vann7
Strizh
Khepesh
Bolt
k@llashniKoff
cheesfactory
alexZam
AbsoluteZero
EKS
Acheron
KoTeMoRe
smerch24
xeno
Rmf
victor1985
2SPOOKY4U
Brovich
cracker
mack8
Cpt Caz
OminousSpudd
Dima
ult
akd
chicken
Big_Gazza
GarryB
mutantsushi
fragmachine
RTN
NickM
Mike E
sweetflowers365
calripson
Asf
Vympel
AZZKIKR
runaway
magnumcromagnon
etaepsilonk
Morpheus Eberhardt
NationalRus
As Sa'iqa
Sujoy
Department Of Defense
Regular
gaurav
AJ-47
AlfaT8
Viktor
Werewolf
collegeboy16
Russian Patriot
flamming_python
Cyberspec
Austin
Mindstorm
KomissarBojanchev
medo
Zivo
George1
TR1
TheArmenian
69 posters

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 26 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:42 am

ult wrote:Kurganets-25 next to BMD-4M.

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 26 IQdej51

My God what's going on here? Are those large objects attached to the side applique armor, or some other attachment? Because if they are then they're super thick! We will only definitively know by May 9th.
    ult

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 26 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  ult Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:13 am

And another one:

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 26 V6nh95p
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:14 am

Edit: Ult beat me to it.

Personal theory: perhaps Armata will (hopefully!) also have such thick side armour over the tracks, but the blocks have been taken off to facilitate rail transport (probably making it too wide to fit on standard railway cars).
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:17 am

mack8 wrote:Edit: Ult beat me to it.

Personal theory: perhaps Armata will (hopefully!) also have such thick side armour over the tracks, but the blocks have been taken off to facilitate rail transport (probably making it too wide to fit on standard railway cars).

Should make the Armata comfortably transportable by the Il-476; assuming the weight can be handled.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:29 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:

My God what's going on here? Are those large objects attached to the side applique armor, or some other attachment? Because if they are then they're super thick! We will only definitively know by May 9th.

It is both, further development of the BMP2/3 Applique Armor with ERA. Some layers of additional armor plates along with Heavy ERA protecting the sides against almost everything such IFV's are suppossed to fight, well except high calibre KE unless it is Relikt, which i doubt at least for now.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:44 am

Kurganets behind

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 26 Attachment
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:48 am

George1 wrote:Kurganets behind

You can clearly see the covers for propellers near the bottom of the step-ramp.
    ult

Post  ult Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:49 am

A little bit bigger picture.

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 26 SfWNxZG

runaway
    runaway

Post  runaway Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:38 am

One things seems clear, its huge! No more low and as small as possible IFV´s here. Looks great, and with the massive passive side armour a good protection. I think we will see no more soldiers riding outside on this machine.

Cant wait to se the inside...

akd

Post  akd Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231258&d=1427373709

You can clearly see the covers for propellers near the bottom of the step-ramp.

pump jets
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Holy sheeeeeit.

1.) Damn its ugly.

2.) Russian army not only taking side skirts seriously, but going overboard. Very cool.
    cracker

Post  cracker Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:09 pm

agree, very ugly. The elegant race of the BMP and BMP-3 will extinct now... Sad Probably the coolest military vehicles ever devised.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 pm

TR1 wrote:Holy sheeeeeit.

1.) Damn its ugly.

2.) Russian army not only taking side skirts seriously, but going overboard. Very cool.

It's still missing the front section of the sideskirts, it should look like image below....but yeah, the sideskirts look massive

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:42 am

Here's some brief (and I mean brief) video footage of Kurganets-25...like the first 3 seconds:

Kurganets-25
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 am

Looks like door within a ramp.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:47 am

TR1 wrote:

Looks like door within a ramp.

Wouldn't you want something like that in case the hydraulics go out?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:59 am

Oh no doubt. Makes perfect sense, which is why I am surprised the Generals wanted it Very Happy.

Overall I am pretty shocked to the extent the Russia Army is going with significantly heavier vehicles. Kurganets itself is beefy, and the Armata is something else.
    Everyone is increasing their IFVs in weight generally speaking, but I figured GenStab would be conservative.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:13 am

TR1 wrote:Oh no doubt. Makes perfect sense, which is why I am surprised the Generals wanted it Very Happy.

Overall I am pretty shocked to the extent the Russia Army is going with significantly heavier vehicles. Kurganets itself is beefy, and the Armata is something else.
    Everyone is increasing their IFVs in weight generally speaking, but I figured GenStab would be conservative.

Unlike all western IFV's this is amphibious so they have higher mobility value and do not undermine the doctrine of motorized and mechanized forces.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:47 am

TR1 wrote:Oh no doubt. Makes perfect sense, which is why I am surprised the Generals wanted it Very Happy.

Yet there is nothing to say that Russia will be procuring Armata and Kurganets-based brigades in large numbers; as compared to Bumerang and Typhoon-based brigades.

So while the vehicles might become heavier, the overall tonnage footprint might not change too much.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:16 am

TR1 wrote:Holy sheeeeeit.

1.) Damn its ugly.

those side skirts could also serve dual purpose of adding more flotation to the vehicle in the water.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Poor quality image, but the front of Kurganets-25 nonetheless. It shows the front-most armor module. I'm guessing the cube shaped piece covered by tarp is part of the APS.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:43 am

That trim vane in front is supposedly titanium.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:06 am

Yet there is nothing to say that Russia will be procuring Armata and Kurganets-based brigades in large numbers; as compared to Bumerang and Typhoon-based brigades.

So while the vehicles might become heavier, the overall tonnage footprint might not change too much.

Actually I suspect the weight of armoured forces will dramatically increase...

I rather suspect the vast majority of the new forces will be wheeled Boomerangs and Typhoons as they are cheaper but with sophisticated weapons and sensors and all that net centric communications stuff.

In the 1980s the BMP-2 was popular because of its protection, but the mobility of the BTRs was appreciated too.

Boomerang is a BMP-2 level armour and fire power vehicle with the mobility of wheels.

If you look at all the vehicles in an armoured unit you have maybe 30 tanks and perhaps 60 MBTs/IFVs and most of the rest are light BRDM/BTR/MTLB based vehicles.... even in a boomerang unit all of a sudden the MBTs are 15 tons lighter, but the IFVs are 7 tons heavier, the BTRs are 11 tons heavier (14 tons for a BTR... 25 tons for a Boomerang), and all the very light scout car type vehicles are as well armoured as the other vehicles... in the armata units all the vehicles are heavily armoured... the choice between a BTR-80 and a BMP-2 was effected by the fact that the BTR has basically the Russian equivalent of a 20mm cannon as a main armament, and relatively light armour, while the BMP-2 is better armoured and better armed.

With Kurganets and Boomerang the armament and sensors will be the same... the armour will be heavier than either BMP-2 or BTR-80, the main difference will be mobility... wheeled vs tracked.

those side skirts could also serve dual purpose of adding more flotation to the vehicle in the water.

Most likely and even if they don't the gap between the side skirts and the hull will act as spaced armour rendering HESH ineffective. Most likely it will contain ceramic armours and likely NERA, or non explosive reactive armour that changes shape to resist penetration but does not contain explosives.

That trim vane in front is supposedly titanium.

I remember them saying they were using expensive exotic materials...

Poor quality image, but the front of Kurganets-25 nonetheless. It shows the front-most armor module. I'm guessing the cube shaped piece covered by tarp is part of the APS.

Yes or possibly sensors/cameras...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:17 pm

"Boomerang" is the victim of sanctions

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 26 1987163_original
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Bumerang will be at the parade, it's already been confirmed.

But that the Bumerang program seems to be a little behind the others has already been hinted at. Not to worry though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:12 am