Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+65
PapaDragon
Stealthflanker
Vann7
Strizh
Khepesh
Bolt
k@llashniKoff
cheesfactory
alexZam
AbsoluteZero
EKS
Acheron
KoTeMoRe
smerch24
xeno
Rmf
victor1985
2SPOOKY4U
Brovich
cracker
mack8
Cpt Caz
OminousSpudd
Dima
ult
akd
chicken
Big_Gazza
GarryB
mutantsushi
fragmachine
RTN
NickM
Mike E
sweetflowers365
calripson
Asf
Vympel
AZZKIKR
runaway
magnumcromagnon
etaepsilonk
Morpheus Eberhardt
NationalRus
As Sa'iqa
Sujoy
Department Of Defense
Regular
gaurav
AJ-47
AlfaT8
Viktor
Werewolf
collegeboy16
Russian Patriot
flamming_python
Cyberspec
Austin
Mindstorm
KomissarBojanchev
medo
Zivo
George1
TR1
TheArmenian
69 posters

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 14 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  flamming_python Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:05 pm

So uh.. just what the hell is it?
    etaepsilonk

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 14 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  etaepsilonk Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Personally, If I was official responsible for procurement, I'd do my best to ensure, that this abonimation never sees production line. Even by appearance, VPK-3924 Medved looks superior in every aspect.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:20 pm

Whats the issue?

Looks perfectly fine to me.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:00 am

"even by appearance"... what other information are you basing your opinion on?

I personally would want to know rather more about it before I pass judgement... what were the design goals... were they met fully... can the troops break it in a day or will it take longer? etc etc

Plus what sort of weapon add ons can it be fitted with/for.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Currently, I'm judging this vehicle by appearance only.
    My harsh words came from the fact, that I don't think this kamaz typhoon was thought-out well enough.

It has 4 doors. That gives it the troop capacity of like what, 5-6 people? This is on par with the much smaller and cheaper LYNX Neutral 

Also, this configuration doesn't really allow you to have modular vehicles, such as 6x6 version (and given the recent modularity hype in Russian military, wouldn't that be the grounds for immediate dismissal?).

In addition, it's components appear to be based on that 6x6 typhoon truck. I was under the impression, that Russian military opted for Ural version instead (but I'm not sure). So it would be highly likely, that this vehicle would be hardly compatible with any other vehicle in service. In that case, wouldn't basing the vehicle under something already in service (like, kamaz mustang series) be much more appropriate?

These are, I think, the main issues with this vehicle that I'm concerned about. Also, I believe there are a couple of minor issues.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:22 am

The isn't Typhoon, of the Armata, Kurganets, Boomerang, Typhoon families...
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:21 pm

I still don't understand what it actually is.

Where does it fit in? Russia has dozens of prospective light amoured vehicles already.

So is this a private venture by Kamaz for export, or..?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:21 pm

This thing looks like a far more serious MRAP than any other 4x4 Russia makes.

Tiger, Scoprion, Lynx, Volk, all that stuff is much smaller and I would bet far less effective in the MRAP role.

If the 6x6 trucks are anything to go on it will have a serious applique armor package as well.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:22 pm

TR1 wrote:This thing looks like a far more serious MRAP than any other 4x4 Russia makes.

Tiger, Scoprion, Lynx, Volk, all that stuff is much smaller and I would bet far less effective in the MRAP role.

If the 6x6 trucks are anything to go on it will have a serious applique armor package as well.

Sorry, but I don't really follow....

First of, this kamaz tyhoon doesn't look like MRAP in the first place. And if the more conventional protection measures are used, it won't have mine protection that much different, than the poor GAZ Volk you are so hurrying to dismiss  Exclamation And  I'm not even bothering to compare it to actual dedicated MRAPs, like RG-31 Nyala, for example.

Well, to think better , I could be wrong about that. The best way to know is to find the picture that could determine its hull shape (usually rear view pictures are the best for that).

To GarryB:
    It could be a typhoon, or it could be an ice-cream bus, that doesn't make my points any less relevant.

Last edited by etaepsilonk on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:38 pm

To be honest I don't really see where you are coming from with any of your criticism, but let's just wait for firm specifications to arrive for this baby.
    And while we are at it, for Volk to pass testing, and Tigr 6a to actually be adopted.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 pm

TR1 wrote:To be honest I don't really see where you are coming from with any of your criticism, but let's just wait for firm specifications to arrive for this baby.
    And while we are at it, for Volk to pass testing, and Tigr 6a to actually be adopted.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think that it's actually suitable for military requirements (for Russia, at least). I'm even starting to think, that this vehicle was actually created more for commercial users, than military.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 pm

So what are Russian requirements?
    It clearly has V shaped hull, so what did You expect- ERA like on Israeli one? You can even find a video where it's almost stripped down in a factory when they are showing armored trucks.
    Russia is not a flatland, have You ever considered where these MRAPs will go? Mountainous regions, few roads, ice, snow, impassible dirt. MRAP vehicles who are considered offroad worthy look similar. What costumer will want to buy MRAPs? Russian internal troops arr the ones who need this type of vehicle the most or do expect NATO troops will use IEDs Very Happy
    (actually I was given a course on improvised explosives, but it was in civil defence, not in army)
    Mindstorm

Post  Mindstorm Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 pm

Regular wrote:So what are Russian requirements?

The unique "problem" of this vehicle is exactly in this forum , and more precisely , in the wronged section wherein it has been included : Russian Army -Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread-.

Bring it in the "correct" section : Russian Airborne (VDV Elite Corps) , and majority of the questions on this vehicle will instantly lose any sense.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:53 pm

TR1 wrote:This thing looks like a far more serious MRAP than any other 4x4 Russia makes.

Russia already has the Medved SPM-3 for the MRAP role.

This looks like a mini-Kamaz Typhoon. Which isn't a bad thing, more competition the merrier, but most of these vehicles can't possibly survive, we already have too many perspective models, and among too many service branches.

Just 2-3 would be enough; a light vehicle family which can double up as staff cars and for general use in the Russian military (like the UAZ-469), a more armoured vehicle for more intense combat purposes (i.e. a HMMWV type) and an MRAP for patrols. Ideally they would all have as much commonality with each other as possible, and be united across MVD/Army/VDV/etc... where possible.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:40 am

I think all the hype about MRAP came to late. It would have saved lots of lives 8-10 years ago.
    Still, beter now then never. You never know what can happen in the south.

And competition is a good thing. Even if it doesn't go in to full scale production. Rumour has it that Kazakhstan is interested in this kind of vehicle.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:58 pm

To flaming pyton:
    I think, scorpion, volk and medved already fit those niches nicely.

To Regular:

"So what are Russian requirements?"

If I had to guess, something along the lines of volk, or medved, depending on its intended role.

"It clearly has V shaped hull"

Could you provide me with a picture, or video, where you could clearly see that v-hull? Because as of now, NOTHING indicates, that it actually has one.  unshaven 

"so what did You expect- ERA like on Israeli one?"

No. Depending on whether it would go for army or mvd units, I'd expected it to outperform volk or medved, respectively, in layout. It doesn't.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:23 pm

You know it doesn't from 3 pics?

Come on man.

Making an analysis on interior seating based on doors is laughable as well, no offense.

Just weight wise I think it will be evident this is not in the same class as the smaller 4x4s.

Btw, V-hull is not panacea. Many MRAPs have a much more complicated bottom to absorb force rather than simple V-hull.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 pm

To TR1:

"You know it doesn't from 3 pics?"
    I didn't say that. I only said that we cannot know for sure.

"Making an analysis on interior seating based on doors is laughable as well, no offense."

No offense taken. Feel free to criticize me at any any time . Smile 
    Regarding the seating, at the side picture you could quite clearly see the rows of seats across the vehicle, which clearly indicates the same layout as in, let's say, civilian cars. And that means, 5-6 seats.

"Just weight wise I think it will be evident this is not in the same class as the smaller 4x4s."

I would place it in the same weight class as Medved.

"Btw, V-hull is not panacea. Many MRAPs have a much more complicated bottom to absorb force rather than simple V-hull."

Why, of course  Smile  v-hull puts quite a few space and weight penalties, and many other solutions are considered to reduce those penalties. However, in terms of mine protection, V-shape is still the king (for example, M65 LYNX can survive 6kg TNT blast, but RG-31 Nyala could take 14 kg no problem).

Although I don't know for sure, I could guess, that KAMAZ typhoon achieves its mine protection by having a bent bottom, which IS NOT directly attached to the crew compartment (also could have some filler, maybe ceramics, between them). That bottom creates a bathtub like shape, which could also be filled with fuel tanks, ACs, etc., acting as additional armor. And crew compartment is probably structurally separate from the rest of the vehicle. Incidentally, if that's the case, it would probably refute my claims about typhoon's unmodular nature  Embarassed .
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:39 pm

http://panzerbar.livejournal.com/1451115.html

По имеющейся информации, рассматривается возможность закупки партии из 20-30 автомобилей 12 местного КамАЗ-53949 для опытной войсковой эксплуатации.

12 seats.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:36 pm

TR1 wrote:http://panzerbar.livejournal.com/1451115.html

По имеющейся информации, рассматривается возможность закупки партии из 20-30 автомобилей 12 местного КамАЗ-53949 для опытной войсковой эксплуатации.

12 seats.

Thanks for the link Smile

To be frank, I never saw that small window, so didn't actually consider this kind of configuration. Influenced by Polish Zubr, perhaps?
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Looks like a V-shaped hull.

Actually the combo of Scorpion and Volk can round off the light vehicle segment quite nicely; and can step up to replace the current UAZ-469 and Iveco/Tigr/Vodnik/BRDM-2 vehicle porridge over the next 5-10 years.

Although the Medved looks like a formidable vehicle, so Kamaz's 4x4 offering here will face some stiff competition for the MRAP 4x4 class. May the best car win. We also have the BMP-97 4x4 here as well, albeit it has its own seperate niche so it will be needed regardless.

I don't even know where the Bumerang-10s will fit in into all this..

When we move up a weight class it's much the same situation; too many competing and similar designs. Ural Typhoon, Kamaz Typhoon, BPM-97 6x6, Bumerang-10 again perhaps, etc...
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:32 pm

flamming_python wrote:Looks like a V-shaped hull.

Actually the combo of Scorpion and Volk can round off the light vehicle segment quite nicely; and can step up to replace the current UAZ-469 and Iveco/Tigr/Vodnik/BRDM-2 vehicle porridge over the next 5-10 years.

Although the Medved looks like a formidable vehicle, so Kamaz's 4x4 offering here will face some stiff competition for the MRAP 4x4 class. May the best car win. We also have the BMP-97 4x4 here as well, albeit it has its own seperate niche so it will be needed regardless.

When we move up a weight class it's much the same situation; too many competing and similar designs. Ural Typhoon, Kamaz Typhoon, BPM-97 6x6, Bumerang-10 again perhaps, etc...

Uh, are our understandings about V-hull the same?

V-hull usually occupies a large part of the vehicle's hull.
    A couple of examples:

RG-31 Nyala:
    http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/rg-31_mk5e_08.jpg
    Medved:
    http://77rus.smugmug.com/Military/Demonstration-in-Bronnitsy/i-CF4hcTg/0/L/Bronnitsy006-L.jpg

As you can see, the shape of v-hull is most easily seen in the rear view pictures, so far, we haven't seen one for Kamaz typhoon.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:52 pm

etaepsilonk wrote:

A couple of examples:

RG-31 Nyala:
    Medved:
    http://77rus.smugmug.com/Military/Demonstration-in-Bronnitsy/i-CF4hcTg/0/L/Bronnitsy006-L.jpg

As you can see, the shape of v-hull is most easily seen in the rear view pictures, so far, we haven't seen one for Kamaz typhoon.

Looks like a clear V to me on the link that TR1 gave

Your pictures on the other hand don't show the V shape conclusively; I can't see shit captain!
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    etaepsilonk wrote:

A couple of examples:

RG-31 Nyala:
    Medved:

Looks like a clear V to me on the link that TR1 gave

Your pictures on the other hand don't show the V shape conclusively; I can't see shit captain!

Oh? You cannot see the pictures?

Or you just cannot see the hull shaping? In that case, look at the lines around the rear doors. They should be clearly visible.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Can't find video where I've seen it being almost "naked" with open bonnet. But hey tell me what's in the red and blue circles then?
    Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 14 Gmm0
    Bigger image
    Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 14 Bwdt
    Bigger image

Now look at Oshkosh M-ATV. Not comparing those vehicles, but You can see similarities in hull design. Both of them focus on mine protection while being offload capable. Ofcourse, they might not be like British Foxhound, but armies fight conventional war too, there would be no sense having uber mraps replacing wheeled transport as a whole.
     Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 14 Matv-at-the-camp

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:53 am