Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+61
lancelot
andalusia
Ned86
Podlodka77
Navy fanboy
Krepost
Atmosphere
par far
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Scorpius
COMMANDER
zardof
magnumcromagnon
LMFS
Backman
hoom
writertlynn`
Peŕrier
Azi
Kimppis
franco
miroslav
SeigSoloyvov
DasVivo
tomazy
T-47
flamming_python
nastle77
PapaDragon
TheArmenian
AlfaT8
Benya
Tsavo Lion
Isos
GunshipDemocracy
Rodion_Romanovic
marat
KiloGolf
chinggis
max steel
slasher
artjomh
jhelb
Anas Ali
Naval Fan
Flyingdutchman
Diego-9
KomissarBojanchev
ali.a.r
Stealthflanker
johns624
medo
TR1
GarryB
George1
woogar
Austin
Admin
Viktor
nightcrawler
IronsightSniper
65 posters

Questions Thread: Russian Navy

Isos
    Isos

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

Post  Isos Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:41 pm

They already said something about more Ivan Gren. I don't remember the numbers but they plan a lot of them.
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 am

Isos wrote:They already said something about more Ivan Gren. I don't remember the numbers but they plan a lot of them.
    The modified Ivan gren Class has at least twice the displacement of Ropucha class (project 775).

I like a lot the proposed design of the modified Ivan Gren, similar to the Italian San Giorgio class, however it is already in a different niche than the Ropucha class.

I believe there is now a niche open for a smaller amphibious ship, maybe with full load displacement between 2000 and 4000 tons.

By the way, I saw a proposal of a russian ship for export with a displacement around 2000 tons, but it had quite a bit of imported component.
    par far

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Russian Amphibious command ship

Post  par far Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 pm

I was just wondering if Russia had something similar to the US USS Mount Whitney (LCC-20) Amphibious command ship.

Could the Admiral Kuznetsov fill the same role(when upgraded) or can the Pyotr Velikiy or Admiral Nakhimov(when re-fitted and put into service) fill the role.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:03 pm

par far wrote:I was just wondering if Russia had something similar to the US USS Mount Whitney (LCC-20) Amphibious command ship.

Could the Admiral Kuznetsov fill the same role(when upgraded) or can the  Pyotr Velikiy or Admiral Nakhimov(when re-fitted and put into service) fill the role.

They both can act as navy command ship but Russia doesn't such a useless ship as the Mount Whitney. It's an undefended floting target.

That's a 180m lon landing ship transformed into an office for corrupt US admirals.

Hole and Scorpius like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:45 am

The nearest equivalent in the Soviet/Russian Navy would have been the SSV-33 Ural command ship based on a Kirov battlecruiser hull

However she was laid up and scrapped eventually

I don't know if the Russian Navy will return to the concept. I guess not as the experience with the Ural was not great, although it did succeed in controlling and monitoring a good deal of the North Pacific regardless.

These days with the miniaturization of electronics and multitasking ship classes I guess it makes more sense to just rely on the flagman ship classes for such functionality. They already have very powerful electronic equipment, sensors and antennas. So the prospective Lider-class destroyers in other words and possibly the Super Gorshkovs. For now I think the Kirov class battlecruisers and Slavas can take on these roles to an extent.

Mir likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:44 am

The size and power of electronics back then made a mainframe ship useful to collect and distribute information, but these days most of their ships and even armoured vehicles are fitted with battle computers that show the situation in their area which they can contribute with their sensors and equipment...

Having a separate ship to process all that info is probably redundant and would be incorporated into most large ships.

If you have a group of corvettes one would be in charge of the group, but if there was a frigate there then the larger ship would likely take charge etc etc with destroyer, cruiser, helicopter carrier, and CVN...

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:04 am

For people with navy knowledge, could someone tell me what exactly is the russian navy strong at?
    I know that the displacement is behind the US and chine, but what does the russian navy excel at? Standoff attacks?
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:19 am

Atmosphere wrote:For people with navy knowledge, could someone tell me what exactly is the russian navy strong at?
    I know that the displacement is behind the US and chine, but what does the russian navy excel at? Standoff attacks?

Protecting borders... since 1991 that's their only mission. Nothing much really.

Their Navy never had priority in front of air force or ground forces. No huge ammount of money spend for buying new ships neither maintaining their ships.

Now they are making their navy kalibr launcher navy. They put that missile (and now Tzirkon) on every new ship, even the ones that are for support missions with containered kalibrs. It clearly attracted the militaty leader attention and are investing more into it because it was worth it.

But now that the treaties on banning long range missiles launched from the ground are gone they can launch those missiles from a stupid 100k $ truck and not spend 50 millions for a missile boat that launch the same amount of missiles... so I guess they will buy more iskanders and less ships.
    Krepost
    Krepost

Post  Krepost Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:22 am

Atmosphere wrote:For people with navy knowledge, could someone tell me what exactly is the russian navy strong at?
    Submarines

lancelot and Podlodka77 like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:17 am

Submarines, conventional and nuclear (both used for standoff hits), everything else is sideshow

Total defense

Check this graph, tells you everything you need to know:

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Esvc82lmij981
    Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:37 pm

alright thank you guys for the answer
    Navy fanboy
    Navy fanboy

Post  Navy fanboy Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:06 am

Hey all

Just wondering if Russia are designing and making any torpedoes similar to the type 65 for new vessels?

And what can anyone tell me about the future torps?

Cheers all

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:40 am

Navy fanboy wrote:Hey all

Just wondering if Russia are designing and making any torpedoes similar to the type 65 for new vessels?

And what can anyone tell me about the future torps?

Cheers all

UET-1 Ichthyosaurus тorpedo

Maximum range: 50km (export variant 25 km)
    Maximum depth; 1000 meters
    Max speed: 50 knots
    Range of the homing controller from submarine: 3.4km
    Surface ship wake indication time: 500 seconds.
    Torpedo can regulate its speed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjnroOumYH2AhWI_6QKHS6hAeAQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gazeta.ru%2Farmy%2F2022%2F02%2F04%2F14497897.shtml&usg=AOvVaw06mOXqfatkJAtzCM2VJnUC

Navy fanboy likes this post

Navy fanboy
    Navy fanboy

Post  Navy fanboy Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:45 am

Thank you very much.
    Ned86

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Russian state of the art torpedoes

Post  Ned86 Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:03 pm

It is not easy to find all info about state of the art torpedoes being used by Russian navy, but here is what I got.
    Russian navy currently uses two types of state of the art torpedoes, thermal and electric torpedoes.

Thermal torpedoes (which use fuel as a propellant)  

1. UGST (Fizik) in service since 2002

Caliber, mm: 533.4
    Length, mm: 7200
    Weight, kg: 2200
    Warhead weight, kg: 300
    Speed, knots: 50
    Range, km: 50
    Depth, m: up to 500
    Firing depth from submarines, m: up to 400

2. Fizik2 or Futlyar was accepted to service in 2017
    Engine: gas-turbine with pump-jet
    Operational range 60 km
    Maximum depth 500 meters
    Maximum speed 60 kn
    Guidance system: Wire, active and passive acoustic/wake homing

Electric torpedoes 

UET-1 Ichthyosaurus in service since 2018
    Maximum range: 25km
    Max speed: 50 knots

contract for 73 UET-1 torpedoes was signed in 2018 to be delivered by 2023.
    In February 2022 there were reports about plans to boost their production and equip all submarines with them after they equip Project 636.3 submarines first.

GarryB, GunshipDemocracy and Navy fanboy like this post

andalusia

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty How much should Russia be concerned about France's new Suffren class submarines?

Post  andalusia Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:00 am

How much should Russia be concerned about France's new Suffren class submarines? These new submarines don't have any traditional periscope as well as jet/pump propulsion.  Does the Russian Defense Department know anything about this and do they have any countermeasures?

https://www.popsci.com/new-french-submarine-suffren-no-periscope/

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/02/frances-new-submarine-will-be-even-quieter-than-the-ocean/
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:15 am

There will not be enough of them to be relevant. Sorry but that is how it is. Cool
    These guys will be mostly patrolling their own waters anyway.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:18 am

Might be a new technological step forward, or might just be a silly fringe trend, they will likely have a look and try to work out its advantages and potential issues and if they think it has potential they might try something themseles.

They have pumpjet powered subs, and their current designs are very sophisticated and capable... I am not sure they should be overly frightened that France has a new sub design.

andalusia likes this post

andalusia

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty I know that Kilo class submarines

Post  andalusia Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:41 am

I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango-class_submarine
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:35 am

andalusia wrote:I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?

Because France, Germany and other were offering modern submarines for export. You can't compete with an old design and countries can't compete with  tango submarine against their enemies which are buying those modern submarine from western countries.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:30 am

The Tango class was a rather good class of submarine, I doubt they wanted to sell them off when they were using them for themselves.

andalusia likes this post

andalusia

Post  andalusia Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:31 am

Isos wrote:
    andalusia wrote:I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?

Because France, Germany and other were offering modern submarines for export. You can't compete with an old design and countries can't compete with  tango submarine against their enemies which are buying those modern submarine from western countries.

Good point. I was just thinking that the Tango class was still a fairly new sub when it was retired in the 90s and could have been exported with modern tech.

https://www.navygeneralboard.com/the-tango-class-russias-rubber-submarine/
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:44 pm

andalusia wrote:
    Isos wrote:

Good point. I was just thinking that the Tango class was still a fairly new sub when it was retired in the 90s and could have been exported with modern tech.

are you kidding? Tango class a fairly new sub ???

Big_Gazza likes this post

andalusia

Post  andalusia Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:00 am

George1 wrote:
    andalusia wrote:
    Isos wrote:

are you kidding?  Tango class a fairly new sub ???

I read that they were built between 1972 to 1983 and Russia began retiring them in the mid 90s.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/641b.htm

I don't know when submarines become obsolete but some military weapons can be improved and brought up to standards like the improved Kilo.

I think Garry B would be better to explain about the costs of operating and maintaining a submarine annually. I hope he answers this question.

Also when does a military weapon become obsolete? I know the Mig 29 was introduced in 1982 and it is still a capable aircraft with upgrades like the Mig 29M.

Navy fanboy
    Navy fanboy

Post  Navy fanboy Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:19 am

Is there more that the Rus Navy can do in Ukraine? And have their VLS vessels been used to shoot Kalibre at Azov?

And does anyone know what happened between USS Harry S Truman and Ustinov & Varyag?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:26 pm