Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Questions Thread: Russian Navy

franco

Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

Post  franco on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 pm

There are plans or talks to do a upgrade and life extension of some / all of the Udaloy's but have heard nothing in regards to the Sovremmeny. By the way I believe only 3 of them are still active (North, Baltic and Pacific). Would not be surprised if the Gorshkovs actually replace them.
    DasVivo

Post  DasVivo on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 am

franco wrote:There are plans or talks to do a upgrade and life extension of some / all of the Udaloy's but have heard nothing in regards to the Sovremmeny. By the way I believe only 3 of them are still active (North, Baltic and Pacific). Would not be surprised if the Gorshkovs actually replace them.

Last I looked it appeared that:
    Bystryy - Pacific Fleet
    Nastoychivyy - Baltic Fleet
    Admiral Ushakov - Northern Fleet

Burnyy - Pacific Fleet (Currently being overhauled, not a deep modernization)
    Bespokiynyy - Baltic Fleet (Limited talk of bringing it back with I imagine, minor overhaul to extend life, not deep modernization)
    Bezboyaznennyy - Pacific Fleet (Reserve, no updates on decomission or plans to reintroduce it)

Based on the fact they certainly don't appear to be investing in them this late in the game my guess is indeed they'll be simply be maintained as placeholders to fill the ranks until a sufficient number of Gorshkovs and others (Grigorovichs etc) can relieve them somewhat..
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 am

DasVivo wrote:
    franco wrote:There are plans or talks to do a upgrade and life extension of some / all of the Udaloy's but have heard nothing in regards to the Sovremmeny. By the way I believe only 3 of them are still active (North, Baltic and Pacific). Would not be surprised if the Gorshkovs actually replace them.

Last I looked it appeared that:
    Bystryy - Pacific Fleet
    Nastoychivyy - Baltic Fleet
    Admiral Ushakov - Northern Fleet

Burnyy - Pacific Fleet (Currently being overhauled, not a deep modernization)
    Bespokiynyy - Baltic Fleet (Limited talk of bringing it back with I imagine, minor overhaul to extend life, not deep modernization)
    Bezboyaznennyy - Pacific Fleet (Reserve, no updates on decomission or plans to reintroduce it)

Based on the fact they certainly don't appear to be investing in them this late in the game my guess is indeed they'll be simply be maintained as placeholders to fill the ranks until a sufficient number of Gorshkovs and others (Grigorovichs etc) can relieve them somewhat..

But there will never be enough gorshkovs to replace them before 2030 and the grigoroviches are much weaker than them. The Grigoroviches are there to replace the neustrashimy and burevestniks, not full blown destroyers.
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Why? There will be atleast 8 Gorshkovs by 2030 (maybe more, including the larger variant), and probably 1 or 2 Liders aswell.
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:55 pm

But there will never be enough gorshkovs to replace them before 2030 and the grigoroviches are much weaker than them. The Grigoroviches are there to replace the neustrashimy and burevestniks, not full blown destroyers.

In terms of capabilities grigorovivitch are better than a ship that is 30 years old. The only point where it is not is th range. For the price of 1 Sov you have 3 grigorovitchs. Missile are by far better because they are newer, it is stealth and has UKSK for multi role missions.

ali.a.r

Post  ali.a.r on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 pm

What is the watch system onboard Russian Navy ships?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:28 pm