Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+80
Podlodka77
TMA1
onwiththewar
Urluber
Walther von Oldenburg
George1
0nillie0
SolidarityWithRussia
thegopnik
ATLASCUB
ludovicense
Azi
Ned86
gc3762
Kiko
d_taddei2
The-thing-next-door
mnrck
Odin of Ossetia
ArgentinaGuard
Scorpius
RTN
GunshipDemocracy
Broski
Fred333
LMFS
kvs
medo
OminousSpudd
Airbornewolf
Werewolf
mnztr
psg
nero
flamming_python
Sprut-B
MMBR
ult
lancelot
dionis
Erk
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Sujoy
Stealthflanker
ahmedfire
nomadski
par far
PhSt
caveat emptor
SeigSoloyvov
Eugenio Argentina
andalusia
GarryB
Big_Gazza
crod
franco
JohninMK
Arrow
Regular
Ispan
diabetus
Dr.Snufflebug
Firebird
PapaDragon
limb
sepheronx
calripson
Belisarius
mr_hd
Arkanghelsk
lyle6
ucmvulcan
Hole
VARGR198
Serberus
ALAMO
Isos
owais.usmani
Hinex1988
Mir
84 posters

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15

Dr.Snufflebug

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Fri May 06, 2022 10:53 pm

Hole wrote:
    Dr.Snufflebug wrote:
    Regular wrote:Music warning

RobLee wrote:https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1522609558379765761

Ukrainian TB2 UCAV footage showing a Russian Tor air defense TLAR on fire after it was struck on Snake Island.
    https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=535698608078539

It looks like there was only 1 system on the island. How long its radar can be active until it needs to be turned off?

6-7 hours, from what I read.

They shot down a big bunch of TB-2s but again, Ukraine practically gets them for free and will keep on grinding until they get some usable footage. Even if it takes five million dollars worth of shot down drones to get some video of a small boat burning. Or in this case, an exhausted Tor unit.

Ukrainian economic realities do not apply here, the U.S. is paying for it.

Wrong. The regime in Washington is not paying for it, it is giving loans. That´s why they so eager that "Ukraine" keeps existing after the war, the poor fellows will have to pay everything back, with interest, of course.

Even if Russia would suddenly cease all military activity in UA now and withdraw from the entirety of "Ukraine", there is no way Kiev could repay these things, even if given decades.

The U.S. is paying for its own long-term strategic war against Russia, Ukraine is just a cheap source of expendable manpower for now.

Hannibal Barca, owais.usmani, lancelot and Broski like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15

Post  PapaDragon Fri May 06, 2022 10:56 pm

mr_hd wrote:Russia has pretty free hands but till summer only, after that Ukraine should be able to go heads on in some of the parts of the front line and do heavy counter offensive strikes. And after that their fire power will continue slowly to rise rest of the year....

Question: Where will troops, tanks, airplanes, helicopters, IFVs, artillery and ordinance for this heavy counter-offensive come from?

diabetus wrote:
    Isos wrote:The precision of the iskander is questionnable... iranian missiles are way more precise frankly. ,,,

Looks too slow to be iskander

And whatever it was it hit the target just fine

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:
    Isos wrote:Lol. They missed hahaha. US mighty tech.  
    Well, operator incompetence rather.

But these tiny kamikaze drones are dangerous, difficult to counter.

Which is all the more reason for Russia to kill as many operators as possible

Regular wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:So apparently there is a leak on Moskva's Technical readiness report. It was dated in Feb 10th 2022. So it's very recent....
    If true and the report is genuine then Igor Osipov is in big shit. Should be easy to confirm for those who want.

Moskva is coral reef now, they might as well publish full specs, doesn't matter anymore

Big_Gazza, MMBR and Arkanghelsk like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri May 06, 2022 11:06 pm

Slavyangrad
    IMPORTANT—The Ukrainian strike on Admiral Makarov did not take place, as now also admitted by John Kirby, Pentagon's representative, during todays' briefing.

U.S. has no information to corroborate Ukraine striking the Russian frigate Admiral Makarov: Pentagon

"We've been looking at this all day," said Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby.

[Everyone can breathe out now. I had a very early SitRep from Rybar in my translation pipeline, which also stated the same thing, so I will try to get it out as soon as possible.]

IMPORTANT—The Ukrainian strike on Admiral Makarov did not take place, as now also admitted by John Kirby, Pentagon's representative, during todays' briefing. U.S. has no information to corroborate Ukraine striking the Russian frigate Admiral Makarov: Pentagon…
    Following Pentagon's refusal to confirm that anything had happened to the Admiral Makarov frigate, Ukrainian officials have also started backtracking on the claim.

Thus, Zelensky's advisor Aleksey Arestovich has now stated that that "Kiev has no information regarding the purported incident with the Russian frigate Admiral Makarov."

GarryB, Big_Gazza, kvs, VARGR198, MMBR, Sprut-B, Hole and like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 pm

Kharkov Counteroffensive by the Ukrainian Forces—Rybar SitRep, as of 19:00, May 6, 2022

1—Following the withdrawal of Russian forces from Stary Saltov, the withdrawal of the troops from the northeastern outskirts of Kharkov became only a matter of time.

2—After a Ukrainian saboteur-recon group blew up the bridge across the Murom river, between Russkiye Tishki & Cherkasskiye Tishki, threat of encirclement in a cauldron became obvious.

3—Russian command decided to withdraw RF units from Tsirkuny, Cherkasskiye Tishki, & Liptsy.

4—The advance units of Ukrainian forces entered Liptsy in the morning of May 6, 2022. At that time, there were not longer any Russian troops in the settlement: The units had withdrawn to the north. At this time, Russian forces control a 7-8 km buffer zone north of Kharkov.

5—Ukrainian forces are conducting a zachistka (mop-up operations against civilians). Ukrainian units are breaking into basements, checking the cellphones of local residents, and are searching for agents and informers of the Russian forces.

https://t.me/s/Slavyangrad

GarryB, kvs and MMBR like this post

sepheronx dislikes this post

Ispan
    Ispan

Post  Ispan Fri May 06, 2022 11:08 pm

Arkanghelsk wrote:The reason 70k troops is enough right now is that the artillery of 80 BTG is huge

Artillery assets attached to BTG are 3 to 1 in terms of ratio to manpower

I found this article that explains what a BTG is

https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/getting-know-russian-battalion-tactical-group

I know there's a book about Soviet tactics written by Glantz, but I forgot wich, will try to find it.

My thoughts:

Some other historian buff misinterpreted the stalled Russian advance and thought that tanks are doomed because antitank missiles prevent breakthroughs and we are back to infantry-artillery battles like in 1916

I replied:

We have indeed returned to 1916 in which the tanks have dispersed among the infantry to give them support instead of concentrating them in a mass.

But what seems to us a step back is actually an innovation. In WWII the armored formations made the war on their own and the rest of the battles were infantry and artillery as in the WWI. Now we see that each Battalion Tactical Group is a combined arms and self-sufficient unit. To use a simile, instead of a handful of Panzerdivisionen concentrated for decisive action, and the rest of the troops on foot, we now have Kampfgruppen all over the front.

It goes against the experience of the world wars, but I think the Russians were right when they made this doctrinal change in the 80s. The Americans do something similar with their "combat team"

On a superficial reading of the article I linked, and with my recent reading of "Forward into Battle- Fighting tactics from Waterloo to the Near Future" - Paddy Griffith I think am beginning to understand the change. It's hard for me because I am not a soldier and I lack the personal experience to understand how things run in the army.

I am reluctantly realizing that infantry alone can't do anything anymore, not without accepting heavy casualties, and always needs armor support, and that includes tanks. In the same vein, due to the proliferation of man-portable antitank weapons, tanks and infantry fighting vehicles need infantry to flush them out. And both need their own artillery support.

It goes against accepted wisdom. After all the lesson of WWI was that tanks had to be used en masse, as at Cambrai 1917 and Amiens 1918, and that lesson was again proven in France 1940, where the concentrated Panzer Divisions outnumbered on every instance the dispersed French tanks.

But as Griffith observed, more is not neccesarily better. The British failed at Normandy thinking massed tanks would break through German lines, while the Germans again and again proved combined arms is the key.

I was dismissive of the Battalion Tactical Group I first learned about when I read about the Ukrainians deployed their brigades like that. They seemed to me like the German Kampfgruppen, improvised formations with whatever was available, the "brigades" were actually reinforced regiments short of infantry. I believe it was an accurate assesment, and that the downfall of the Ukrowehrmacht was that it had a lot of tanks and artillery, but didn't really have infantry willing to take and hold positions.

Perhaps it's a bad idea to mass several dozens or hundred of tanks like at Kursk and try to breakthrough with them. It only gives more targets to the antitank missiles, and Griffith reminded me that the concept failed in the Yom Kippur war in 1973. Book was written in 1981, so the lesson was very fresh.

I am beginning to think that rather than having an entire battalion of 40 tanks acting together it's actually more effective to split it between 3 composite battalions. Specially if the terrain is broken like in Donbass. No Prokhorovka style mass tank charges here.

It maybe also due to the fact that in practice, it's anyway impossible to command more than a battalion in a fight. I have read four volumes of Soviet tankmen wartime accounts (published by Pen & Sword in English) and I am impressed with the running theme that no matter how many divisions are involved, in the end battles are a sum of small units encounters at the company level, not massive tank battles like Gembloux, or Kursk or some actions in the North African desert.

I had attributed this that most accounts are from later in the war, from 1943-1945 and the Germans panzer divisions had broken down to smaller Kampfgruppen and there was seldom if ever more than a company of tanks gathered together at a single point anywhere.

From these and other infantry accounts I also knew it was not just because tanks were scarce but the downgrading of the German army later in the war due to attrition and the lack of competent commanders at the middle level, battallion and regimental. It's easy to train a lieutenant or captain to command a single platoon or at most a entire company, because the leader has only to command over what he can see, but when you have to juggle more than three units at the same time that's beyond the capabilities of most people, as it involves administration, management of resources and coordinating with other branches. You can't learn that on the job, as with a squad leader.

Effective middle commanders from battalion to division is what makes an army work, if not, no matter how good the general or the staff, the plans can't be carried out because there's no one in the middle to execute the orders effectively.

The conclusion, I understand why the Ukrainian army fights in penny packets, because it's not a proper army and can't do better. I understand why they can't field more than a few tanks at one place and time, a company at most.

I realize that for the Russian side even if dispersing tank companies to form the BTGs, they will still always have parity of numbers or superiority when meeting the Ukrop tanks, because though dispersed, the Russians move around entire companies, not a fistful of tanks

The thing that still don't understand is, given how dispersed the enemy is, why the Russians don't concentrate at some point at least a full battallion of 40 tanks, if only to achieve a local breakthrough. It should steamroll the enemy. I lose sleep at nights thinking about. Strange war. dunno

I also have similar doubts regarding massed artillery but I have to finish this. I am missing a concentration of artillery of say, just a hundred pieces in a two kilometer frontage and with a massive artillery preparation of a few hours to blast everything to pieces and then go for a breakthrough.

With considerable reluctance I am slowly thinking that barrages like those in the First World War were a waste and maybe that concentration of cannons is overkill and we can do things better today.

But still, I don't understand this slow advance. It's like we are in WWI, if every battallion is a combined arms unit, why it's so hard and slow to take one village after the other? I don't think it's because the Ukrops are counterattacking incessantly like in WWI, though I have read reports that some places change hands a few times until taken by ours.

I don't understand anything, unless our guys have to kill hundreds of zombies (I propose to call ukrops that) for every advance they make, or as I fear, the number of troops is too small for the tasks set.

GarryB, franco, zepia, klahtinen, MMBR, lyle6, lancelot and Arkanghelsk like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Fri May 06, 2022 11:08 pm

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:
    UA launched several waves of drones and manned aircraft on Zmeyniy over the past 24 hours. After sustaining many losses (several TB-2s, and two Su-24s) they eventually managed to overwhelm the Tor battery there, destroying it.

Seems like more such waves are going on now, with freshlu delivered TB-2s just streaming in.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainian airborne brigades report that the 79th brigade is nearly annihilated, with its remains now publicly complaining to the military leadership. The other 6 brigades have lost some 70%.

It seems you are right, it wasn't just a single UAV flying there.

There is a video of TB-2 observing Tor launching missiles and it's filming from an impressive 108 km away. (Canadian Wescam MX-15D is really impressive, not a fan of the drone itself)

https://twitter.com/kamerknc/status/1522675384529076227
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri May 06, 2022 11:11 pm

Donbass Offensive of the Russian Forces—Rybar SitRep, as of 14:00, May 6, 2022

The Offensive of the Russian-allied Forces

1—Heavy fighting continues in the Krasny Lyman/Lyman theatre of the conflict and in the Rubezhnoye-Severodonetsk-Lisichansk triangle.

The Krasny Lyman Direction

2—The tempos of advance are slow because of large fires between Lyman and Yampil and near the Yarovaya settlement from the direction of Svyatogorsk.

3—The Russian forces have reached Seversky Donets in the section from Yampol to Kremennaya. Artillery duels between the opposing forces are taking place. Near Serebryanka, Belgorovka, and Privolye, Russian forces are conducting artillery and missile strikes against the position of the Ukrainian troops.

The Lisichansk-Severodonetsk Direction

4—There are unconfirmed reports of exchanges of gunfire in Serebryanka, Privolye, and on the western outskirts of Lisichansk.

5—Units of the LNR People’s Militia are advancing toward Lisichansk from the south. An important railroad junction was taken under control in Svetlichnoye, and fighting is ongoing in Nizhnee and Orekhovo.

6—The Russia-allied forces have completed the mop-up of the residential areas of Rubezhnoye. The remaining units of the Ukrainian forces have entrenched themselves at the Zarya gunpowder factory.

7—Russian forces have taken control of the Voevodovka settlement between Rubezhnoye and Severodonetsk. Clashes are taking place in the eastern neighbourhoods of Severodonetsk and in the forests between Voevodovka and the city.

8—Establishing control over Severodonetsk is impossible without first taking Lisichansk, which is situated at a higher elevation on the western bank of Seversky Donets. Lisichansk is a strategic height in relation to Severodonetsk, and Ukrainian forces, unless dislodged from there, could continue targeting Severodonetsk with impunity.

9—In Popasnaya, the Allied forces are continuing to develop their offensive along the path of the railroad.

10—The settlement of Troitskoye has also been liberated by the Allied forces, with a continuing development of the offensive toward Niu-York.

The Counteroffensive of the Ukrainian Forces across Seversky Donets

11—Ukrainian forces are continuing their attempts to traverse the Seversky Donets river between Balakleya and Izyum using pontoon bridges and to entrench themselves on these positions.

12—Military engineering units of the Ukrainian army were able to construct two pontoon bridges in the area of Protopopovka and Zavgorodneye and to organize their defence. Several saboteur-reconnaissance groups (“SRG”) of the Ukrainian forces have crossed the river and are attempting to establish an outpost on the opposite side. The pontoon bridges were installed below the surface of the water and are concealed from visual observation.

13—To provide support and to distract the attention of the Russian forces, a group of servicemen of the special operations units of the Ukrainian army crossed the Seversky Donets river to the south of Chepel. They have been tasked with taking control of the Rudnevo settlement. Ukrainian rocket (MLRS) artillery on the outskirts of Chapel is providing fire support for the SRG.

14—Ukrainian forces are using Bayraktar TB2 UAV/drones based on the aerodrome in Chuguev to provide aerial reconnaissance and targeting.

The Southern Offensive of the Russian Forces—Rybar SitRep, as of 17:00, May 6, 2022

1—In Mariupol, the Allied forces have taken control of the terrikon (man-made slag heap mountain) on the southeastern outskirts of the Azovstal industrial complex. The strikes at the positions of the Azov (Ukrainian neo-Nazi National Guard regiment) continue unabated. After demanding to exchange the civilians they hold as human shield hostages for food, the Azov nationalists have been categorized as terrorists.

2—Russian forces are conducting constant strikes against Gulyai Pole and Orekhov. These are two of the primary fortified strongholds of the Ukrainian forces in this theatre of the conflict. Once the Ukrainian defensive lines at Gulayi Pole are broken, a further offensive in the direction of the northern Allied grouping that is advancing on Slavyansk from the north will become possible.

3—To the west of Orekhov, the Russian forces have taken the minor settlement of Shcherbaki. Taking control of Orekhov would open the door to an offensive on Zaporozhye (the administrative centre of the Zaporozhye region).

4—On the boundary line between Novoukrainka-Ugledar-Sladkoye, Russian forces have evened out the line of front.

https://t.me/s/Slavyangrad

GarryB, Big_Gazza, kvs, Ispan, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole and like this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Fri May 06, 2022 11:18 pm

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Hole wrote:Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 7 Photo_36
    Shitblade

Still looks more sophisticated than Orlan series.

Apples and pears, though. "Switchblade" and its cheapo Ukraine-exclusive variant "Phoenix Ghost" are small loitering munitions.

Orlan-10 is a cheap company-level surveillance/spotting drone and more like the RQ-20 "Puma" which Ukraine demanded the U.S. donate recently. Not particularly sophisticated, doesn't need to be.

Ukraine used to manufacture their own drones of that type ("Spectator" etc), so that they requested $20 mln worth of U.S. ditto suggests that their own manufacturing is dead now.
    This is a 300 version. The 600 model is much bigger.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri May 06, 2022 11:20 pm

Arkanghelsk wrote: The reason 70k troops is enough right now is that the artillery of 80 BTG is huge

NOTE: You keep talking about 70,000 men. Obviously you are taking 800 or 900 men per BTG and multiplying by 80 or 90 BTG's. In reality a BTG would range from 600 - 900 depending on type plus each BTG would require another 1,000 plus troops in support. So 90 BTG's would actually be closer to 180,000 plus.

MMBR and Hole like this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 pm

Arkanghelsk wrote:If that ship was sent into combat position without functioning radars, interference because of sat com

Malfunctioning CIWS, and other, the commander should be relieved, and brought to court for incompetence

I'm not talking about ship commander, I'm talking about fleet commander

The story on moskva makes sense and I have seen these commanders order units without functioning equipment

If true, commander of the ship has every right to disobey orders, in that case. Fleet commander should be demoted and court martialed.

PapaDragon and Arkanghelsk like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri May 06, 2022 11:31 pm

Ispan wrote:

The thing that still don't understand is, given how dispersed the enemy is, why the Russians don't concentrate at some point at least a full battallion of 40 tanks, if only to achieve a local breakthrough. It should steamroll the enemy. I lose sleep at nights thinking about. Strange war.  dunno

I also have similar doubts regarding massed artillery but I have to finish this. I am missing a concentration of artillery of say, just a hundred pieces in a two kilometer frontage and with a massive artillery preparation of a few hours to blast everything to pieces and then go for a breakthrough.

With considerable reluctance I am slowly thinking that barrages like those in the First World War were a waste and maybe that concentration of cannons is overkill and we can do things better today.

But still, I don't understand this slow advance. It's like we are in WWI, if every battallion is a combined arms unit, why it's so hard and slow to take one village after the other? I don't think it's because the Ukrops are counterattacking incessantly like in WWI, though I have read reports that some places change hands a few times until taken by ours.

I don't understand anything, unless our guys have to kill hundreds of zombies (I propose to call ukrops that) for every advance they make, or as I fear, the number of troops is too small for the tasks set.

NATO / USA had 7 years to train and equip the Ukrainian army in how to defend against the tank breakthrough. It was tried a few times early on but there were heavy casualties due to modern ATGM and weapons. Therefore the revert to artillery, the old Russian standby.

MMBR likes this post

dionis

Post  dionis Fri May 06, 2022 11:44 pm

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 7 Frckhm12

This was posted in the previous thread - which unit do these guys belong to?

Thanks!

PapaDragon likes this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri May 06, 2022 11:45 pm

franco wrote:Arkanghelsk wrote: The reason 70k troops is enough right now is that the artillery of 80 BTG is huge

NOTE: You keep talking about 70,000 men. Obviously you are taking 800 or 900 men per BTG and multiplying by 80 or 90 BTG's. In reality a BTG would range from 600 - 900 depending on type plus each BTG would require another 1,000 plus troops in support. So 90 BTG's would actually be closer to 180,000 plus.

Seeing as how you are telling us about Ukrainian victories, I am assuming Russia doesn't have that many troops in or they wouldn't be losing positions in Kharkov.
    Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Fri May 06, 2022 11:46 pm

caveat emptor wrote:
    Dr.Snufflebug wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Hole wrote:Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 7 Photo_36
    Shitblade

Still looks more sophisticated than Orlan series.

Apples and pears, though. "Switchblade" and its cheapo Ukraine-exclusive variant "Phoenix Ghost" are small loitering munitions.

Orlan-10 is a cheap company-level surveillance/spotting drone and more like the RQ-20 "Puma" which Ukraine demanded the U.S. donate recently. Not particularly sophisticated, doesn't need to be.

Ukraine used to manufacture their own drones of that type ("Spectator" etc), so that they requested $20 mln worth of U.S. ditto suggests that their own manufacturing is dead now.
    This is a 300 version. The 600 model is much bigger.

Yes, but the Switchblade (any version) to Orlan comparison made no sense at all, that was my point. Apples and pears, as I said.

Compare the Orlan-10 to RQ-20 "Puma". Apples and apples.

Compare Switchblade (300 or 600) to Kalashnikov KUB-BLA or Zala Lancet-3 rather.

Pears and pears, I mean.

sepheronx, GarryB, kvs and Broski like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat May 07, 2022 12:03 am

sepheronx wrote:
    franco wrote:Arkanghelsk wrote: The reason 70k troops is enough right now is that the artillery of 80 BTG is huge

Seeing as how you are telling us about Ukrainian victories, I am assuming Russia doesn't have that many troops in or they wouldn't be losing positions in Kharkov.

Your quote post is confusing, believe you are inquiring about this (Kharkov Counteroffensive by the Ukrainian Forces—Rybar SitRep, as of 19:00, May 6, 2022)

The article seems pretty self explanatory however is missing these two points:

1- action around Kharkov is a diversion like Kiev was.

2- the main importance to the action around Kharkov is the protection of the railway line crossing from Belgorod into Vovchans'k, which is the Russian main supply line into Izham and northern Luhansk. The Ukrainians are defending Kharkov with 2 regular army brigades, 2 national guard brigades and 2 territorial defense brigades plus don't have a lot of offensive capabilities.

sepheronx, Big_Gazza, kvs, Ispan, MMBR, lancelot, Broski and Arkanghelsk like this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Sat May 07, 2022 12:15 am

Does seem like the entire Grigorovich-class frigate (Makarov) thing was BS, now. It's been 12ish hours and even though official Ukrainian outlets and their fan circles were hollaring, all we've seen is fake footage (old recycled irrelevant shit, video game shit etc)

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat May 07, 2022 12:22 am

Where is this location ? High means no AD systems which is a bad news for ukrainians. Su-24 will be free to use SVP24 and dumb bombs all day long.

Hole likes this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat May 07, 2022 12:24 am

franco wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

Your quote post is confusing, believe you are inquiring about this (Kharkov Counteroffensive by the Ukrainian Forces—Rybar SitRep, as of 19:00, May 6, 2022)

2- the main importance to the action around Kharkov is the protection of the railway line crossing from Belgorod into Vovchans'k, which is the Russian main supply line into Izham and northern Luhansk. The Ukrainians are defending Kharkov with 2 regular army brigades, 2 national guard brigades and 2 territorial defense brigades plus don't have a lot of offensive capabilities.  

For those of us unaware of the structure of said brigades, how many men ukies have in Kharkov.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat May 07, 2022 12:26 am

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:Does seem like the entire Grigorovich-class frigate (Makarov) thing was BS, now. It's been 12ish hours and even though official Ukrainian outlets and their fan circles were hollaring, all we've seen is fake footage (old recycled irrelevant shit, video game shit etc)

See post 153 above.
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Sat May 07, 2022 12:34 am

PapaDragon wrote:Moskva is coral reef now, they might as well publish full specs, doesn't matter anymore
    It matters because information on vulnerabilities of the Moskva might also apply to the Varyag in the Pacific Fleet. Or the Marshal Ustinov in the Northern Fleet even.

Regular wrote:It seems you are right, it wasn't just a single UAV flying there.
    There is a video of TB-2 observing Tor launching missiles and it's filming from an impressive 108 km away. (Canadian Wescam MX-15D is really impressive, not a fan of the drone itself)
    The camera isn't spotting a target from 108km away. That has to be the radio distance to the drone operator.

franco wrote:NATO / USA had 7 years to train and equip the Ukrainian army in how to defend against the tank breakthrough. It was tried a few times early on but there were heavy casualties due to modern ATGM and weapons. Therefore the revert to artillery, the old Russian standby.
    The main problem I have seen so far is lack of coordination between tanks and IFVs. And lack of situational awareness of the armored vehicles in general. In the urban fighting also, I think the lack of reverse speed of the tanks is a major issue. The IFVs seem much more suitable for city fighting. At least after the ATGMs have been taken care of by sending in the tanks first. There is a lack of battlefield management systems in vehicles and integration of drones with armored formations I think.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat May 07, 2022 12:47 am

sepheronx wrote:
    franco wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

For those of us unaware of the structure of said brigades, how many men ukies have in Kharkov.

Hard really to say depending on support units and attrition to the forces. It was claimed early in the fighting to be around 30,000.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat May 07, 2022 12:57 am

lancelot wrote:

franco wrote:NATO / USA had 7 years to train and equip the Ukrainian army in how to defend against the tank breakthrough. It was tried a few times early on but there were heavy casualties due to modern ATGM and weapons. Therefore the revert to artillery, the old Russian standby.

The main problem I have seen so far is lack of coordination between tanks and IFVs. And lack of situational awareness of the armored vehicles in general. In the urban fighting also, I think the lack of reverse speed of the tanks is a major issue. The IFVs seem much more suitable for city fighting. At least after the ATGMs have been taken care of by sending in the tanks first. There is a lack of battlefield management systems in vehicles and integration of drones with armored formations I think.

Originally a company of tanks (10) would be supported by a platoon of BMP's (3) in a Tank BTG. I have read that this has been found to be too light and that they have been using 1 company of tanks (10) with 1 company of BMP (10), which to be honest is similar to how the US Army have organized their heavy Task Forces (BTG equivalent). The 21st Motor Rifle Guards brigade was the Russian experimental platform for this prior to the war.

Ispan, MMBR, Hole, Mir and Arkanghelsk like this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Sat May 07, 2022 1:02 am

franco wrote:
    Dr.Snufflebug wrote:Does seem like the entire Grigorovich-class frigate (Makarov) thing was BS, now. It's been 12ish hours and even though official Ukrainian outlets and their fan circles were hollaring, all we've seen is fake footage (old recycled irrelevant shit, video game shit etc)

See post 153 above.

Thank you.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat May 07, 2022 1:11 am

Sujoy wrote:Another day, another huge cache of western weapons falls in the hands of the Russian military. With such a huge consignment of ATGMs and MANPADS that Russian forces have recovered I won't be surprised if Russia suspends domestic production of these weapons for at least a year.

Most Slavs that I've come across in the West are from Russia, Poland and Ukraine and the vast majority of them including Ukrainians were highly intellectual.

How is it that western countries got such intelligent Ukrainian people to fight a useless war against Russia that Ukraine never had any chance of winning will remain a mystery to me.

At the very least Ukrainian should have asked if Russia is indeed a danger to the West (as stated by western governments) why didn't the west get involved in this conflict directly instead of forcing Ukrainians to become cannon fodder.

It is easier to bait brothers against each other than strangers. Brothers are emotionally invested, strangers are more cool and detached.
    The other show stopper syndrome is inferiority. The Slavs (Poles, Ukrainians, Czechs, Slovaks, etc.) have an inferiority complex over Russia.
    This leads them to hate and resentment. For Ukraine this is intense since it literally has to steal Russian history to define itself as not being
    Russian. People who laugh at my point are idiots. Talking to my Ukrainian relatives and their friends, they were obsessed with projecting their
    own shitty conditions on Russia. They really bought the BS that life (economy, crime) are worse in Russia than in Ukraine. This has not been
    true since around the year 2000 and has dramatically diverged since then with Russia getting its shit together while Ukraine sinks into the
    toilet.

GarryB, Werewolf, Big_Gazza, zepia, Ispan, MMBR, Sprut-B and like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat May 07, 2022 1:14 am

Levi
    Forwarded from
    Slavyangrad

BREAKING: Just half an hour ago, the Ukrainian forces' command had left the territory of Donbass and departed for Dnepropetrovsk. Their immediate subordinates were advised that they left for an urgent consultation. The subordinates are justifiably concerned and are considering their options.

The source (a reputable purveyor of hacked data from the Ukrainian side) believes that this may have something to do with a planed Ukrainian provocation involving the death of Ukrainian servicemen.

https://t.me/JokerDPR/75
    Telegram
    Джокер ДНР
    У меня срочные новости от моих шпионов в украинском командовании. Эти новости будут особо интересны украинским солдатикам. Буквально полчаса назад всё основное украинское командование покинуло территорию Донбасса и убыло в Днепропетровск. Непосредственным…

GarryB, kvs, VARGR198, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole and Mir like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 pm