Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+39
RTN
nomadski
Maximmmm
Tsavo Lion
Regular
Eugenio Argentina
Scorpius
auslander
Hannibal Barca
Rasisuki Nebia
jhelb
lyle6
limb
Backman
medo
Russian_Patriot_
SeigSoloyvov
littlerabbit
franco
Airbornewolf
George1
VARGR198
Kiko
miketheterrible
JohninMK
Mir
mnztr
Finty
Hole
GarryB
ALAMO
Isos
calripson
par far
PapaDragon
flamming_python
d_taddei2
Gomig-21
AlfaT8
43 posters

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan - Page 24 Empty Re: Taliban takeover of Afghanistan

Post  Cowboy's daughter Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:08 pm

The last time I personally witnessed anything like this online, was when Eastern Ukrainians left Eastern Ukraine for Rusia.

Finty likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan - Page 24 Empty Re: Taliban takeover of Afghanistan

Post  Cowboy's daughter Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:10 pm

Natiq Malikzada
    @natiqmalikzada
    ·
    Aug 20
    Before the collapse of the gov i wrote about 'Post-Withdrawal Afghanistan: Challenges and Opportunities'. I still stand with the conclusion i made in this piece.
    "Afghans have learned from the past and they will never return to the rule of the Taliban".

Post-Withdrawal Afghanistan: Challenges and Opportunities

Once again, Afghanistan is at a crossroads but this time Afghans have learned from the past and they will never return to the rule of the Taliban. However, they must fight to establish a government free of corruption, because the current system, which faces widespread allegations of corruption, is also unacceptable to the people of Afghanistan.

By Natiq Malikzada - August 10, 2021
    On February 29, 2020, the United States and the Taliban signed an agreement outlining a phased withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan in exchange for Taliban commitments not to allow attacks on the US or its allies from Afghan territory. During the Trump administration the process of withdrawal was rather slow, but his successor President Joe Biden decided to accelerate the process. President Joe Biden initially set September 11, 2021, as the date of completion for the withdrawal, however on July 8, 2021, the US President announced that by August 31, 2021, all US forces will have withdrawn from Afghanistan except for 650 troops left behind to provide security for the US Embassy in Kabul.

The US president announced that “Afghans must decide their own future.”

For Afghans, the evolving situation presents both challenges and opportunities. The most serious challenge to Afghanistan’s future is the Taliban. The group—similar to the 1990s–has swiftly conquered large swathes of Afghan territory and continues to rapidly advance.
    For Afghans, this worrying situation revisits the dark memory of the 1990s when the Taliban invaded and conquered Kabul, with the difference that this time progressive forces and educated youth have more influence in Afghan society and, therefore, the Taliban will face much tougher opposition in establishing their own ultra-conservative government. On the other hand, there are also opportunities that if properly exploited by Afghans will result in an inclusive, peaceful, and progressive Afghanistan.

Afghanistan of the 1990s

Afghanistan in the 1990s was markedly different from today’s Afghanistan. After the withdrawal of Soviet troops, the collapse of President Najibullah’s government, and the loss of US interest in Afghanistan after the defeat of the former Soviet Union, Afghanistan was left alone in the middle of competing regional players seeking to increase their influence in Afghanistan. The regional countries, especially the two neighboring countries Iran and Pakistan, with the support of various groups such as Hezb-e-Islami Afghanistan – a militia group founded and led by Gulbuddin Hekmatyar–sought to overthrow the mujahideen government of President Rabbani and thus a bloody civil war ensued.
    There were several mujahideen groups that were pitched against each other but the two major groups were the Pashtun-dominated and Kandahar-based Taliban– with strong support from Pakistan–against Ahmad Shah Massoud’s northern alliance. These groups fought fiercely for the control of Kabul. The Taliban believed in the strict implementation of Sharia based on Salafist and Wahabist beliefs and in the strict control over society, while the northern alliance was progressive and open to civil rights, individual freedoms and, sgnificantly, women’s right.

Though the northern alliance put up a strong resistance against the Taliban, they were unable to keep the Taliban away from Kabul in the long run.
    In the early 1990s, the Afghan people were tired of the lawlessness and widespread violence and they saw the Taliban as their saviors so they put their support behind the group and greeted the Taliban with bouquets of flowers at the gates of Kabul. Hence we can say that the Taliban’s early success was not built on their superior military might but was an expression of the widespread discontent and desperation about the steadily deteriorating situation. For instance, in 1996 Kabul was ruled by four different groups and when in September 1996 the Taliban conquered Kabul, the people breathed a sigh of relief and thought that easier days would come. But the execution of the former President, Dr. Najibullah, dispelled these fantasies and the people realized the nature of the group they were now facing.

Another factor of the Taliban’s success in the 1990s was the disinterest of the major international player–the US. By defeating its cold war archrival, the USSR, in Afghanistan, the US foreign policy goal was attained and therefore it left the country at the mercy of the Afghan mujahideen. The indifference of the US led regional players like Pakistan to meddle in Afghan internal affairs in order to prevent India from infiltrating the region. Pakistan at that time was preoccupied with threats to its national security from its bigger neighbor, India, and benefited from the Taliban’s available army for a proxy war.

https://thecompanion.in/post-withdrawal-afghanistan-challenges-and-opportunities/

Finty likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:30 pm

Ahmad Massoud: ‘Peace Does Not Mean to Surrender’
    The leader of the Afghan anti-Taliban resistance vows to battle in the encircled Panjshir Valley to keep alive his father’s dream.
    As the Taliban attempt to consolidate control over Afghanistan, history appears set to repeat itself. The Panjshir Valley, northeast of Kabul, remains the only part of the country not under the extremists’ control, though they have it largely surrounded, communications have been cut, and fierce fighting continues on its outskirts.
    In the valley, nestled in the high foothills of the Hindu Kush, Ahmad Massoud has stepped into his famous father’s shoes—and his iconic woolen pakol hat—by establishing himself as the leader of a nascent resistance movement against the Taliban. His father, Ahmad Shah Massoud, one of the leaders of the Northern Alliance, ensured that the Panjshir Valley was never taken by the Taliban during their 1996-2001 rule, but he was killed by al Qaeda two days before 9/11. His son wants to keep alive the embers of resistance in the fabled valley.
    Massoud has declared the valley a safe haven from the country’s violent new rulers, and he says he is doing so at the request of his people, fiercely independent Tajiks who have effectively kept the valley closed to most outsiders since then-U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration negotiated a deal with the Taliban in 2020 that gave them legitimacy, undermined the Afghan government and army, and contributed to the insurgent victory on Aug. 15.

The Panjshir rebels, who call themselves the National Resistance Front, say they have several thousand fighters, as well as military hardware to back their fight for autonomy. Negotiations with the Taliban for inclusion in a future government have reached an impasse, with neither side willing to make concessions.
    Massoud claims no outside support, but on Friday in the United States, Sen. Lindsey Graham and Rep. Mike Waltz, both Republicans, called for U.S. recognition for Massoud and former Afghan Vice President Amrullah Saleh as the legitimate government of Afghanistan. Saleh is a Panjshiri who worked with Ahmad Shah Massoud’s resistance, and since returning to the valley on Aug. 15 he has declared himself the country’s rightful president.

Massoud answered questions from Foreign Policy before communications into the valley were cut over the weekend. He says he does not want civil war but rather a fully representative government, justice, and equality for all ethnic and religious groups in Afghanistan, and an end to outside interference.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/08/30/anti-taliban-resistance-ahmad-massoud-interview-afghanistan/

AM: Realignments have happened in the past few years. The government [of deposed Afghan President Ashraf Ghani] drove many regional countries to the side of the Taliban. From its ethnic-nationalist rhetoric to its water policies, it provoked and antagonized our neighbors, and they grew closer to the Taliban.

Another reason why they grew closer to the Taliban was the presence of the United States and that they were able to inflict harm on the United States and NATO by supporting the insurgency. China sees the Taliban as a stabilizer and Afghanistan as a country that can serve as a land bridge to easily connect it to Iran. China believes it can exert influence in the Middle East and North Africa and challenge the United States if it is connected to Iran via Afghanistan. For this reason, they are willing to recognize and support the Taliban.

Finty likes this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:05 pm

Mir wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:

I've always been pro-NATO intervention in Afghanistan. In as far as it seemed there were really willing to build up the country and its institutions, raise education and fight fundamentalism.

I know you have a good sense of humour, but I have to ask - are you serious!?

He is.  Sometimes he has great things to say.  Sometimes he goes full retard (we all do honestly).

What he doesn't realize, it was NATO and US that helped bring Afghanistan into the stone age.

Anyway, I think I understand what he is trying to say - that at least with NATO in Afghanistan, there is some prospects for Womans rights.  But that was a facades to sell the war to the masses back home.  In reality, it was still all tribalistic shit that never changed outside of the cities.

Personally, I dont care what happens to Afghanistan.  So long as they are not a bother to Russia and its southern borders, they can go on any kind of headchopping spree.  Just that they better be prepared to be completely isolated from nations that actually mean something and have value (not Pakistan, since that country is a joke).

par far, Maximmmm, Hole and Mir like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:25 pm

miketheterrible wrote:

He is.  Sometimes he has great things to say.  Sometimes he goes full retard (we all do honestly). [ Laughing ]

What he doesn't realize, it was NATO and US that helped bring Afghanistan into the stone age.

Anyway, I think I understand what he is trying to say - that at least with NATO in Afghanistan, there is some prospects for Womans rights.  But that was a facades to sell the war to the masses back home.  In reality, it was still all tribalistic shit that never changed outside of the cities.

Personally, I dont care what happens to Afghanistan.  So long as they are not a bother to Russia and its southern borders, they can go on any kind of headchopping spree.  Just that they better be prepared to be completely isolated from nations that actually mean something and have value (not Pakistan, since that country is a joke).

Let me just say - I have nothing against Americans - they are mostly down to earth and good people. However when it comes to their leadership, it's a completely different story. Whenever these guys force their fake democracy onto other countries they have the full intention to bomb them into the stone age as you've mentioned. They feel nothing for the so-called "collateral damaged" they may have caused - in fact this is completely intentional. We have seen it once again now when they "destroyed" an ISIS-K group - it was in fact innocent children they murdered. To think they have the concern of the well being of the woman and children is a fucking joke. Just go look at the Mỹ Lai massacre in Vietnam. There have been plenty examples before that and plenty after that. The military and their media is just a very convenient tool for these psychopaths to use to line their pockets.

GarryB, par far, miketheterrible and Finty like this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm

flamming_python wrote: In as far as it seemed there were really willing to build up the country and its institutions, raise education and fight fundamentalism. That would be great for Afghanistan, but also the other countries around it. If anyone here thinks a 2nd Pakistan is in Russia's long-term interests, or of course India's - then you're very much mistaken.
    Pakistan's end game is to usurp the whole of Afghanistan to gain strategic depth against both Hindus(India) and Shias(Iran). They are half way there already thanks to the biased Durand line. Even during the heydays of NATO's occupation of Afghanistan, Pakistan kept the pot boiling by supporting various jihadi forces inside Afghanistan.

Even the Soviets introduced oil exploration in Afghanistan in the 60s but failed to capitalize primarily because of the Pakistani government that encouraged the local population to act against the Soviets.

Bottom line, nation building in Afghanistan is just not possible: Pakistan won't allow that.

Mir wrote:Let me just say - I have nothing against Americans - they are mostly down to earth and good people. However when it comes to their leadership, it's a completely different story.
    Let me just ask - then why is it that this same constituency of "mostly down to earth and good people" continues to elect one sinister government after another who for the last 7 decades have taken it upon themselves to destabilize every single nation that they define as third world?  

Clearly mostly down to earth and good people would have been extremely concerned about such misadventures sponsored by their elected government. Instead, it seems that the American electorate are quite pleased with such endeavors because it improves the financial fortunes of both their government and corporates.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:00 pm

Most people are concerned in the US.

Here is the problem, something that most foreigners do not understand.

In USA, much like in Canada here, they (government, big businesses) have figured out how to do what they do and get away with it.

Here, people dont really have much of a say. The front is just a show. Elections are a front. As Putin said in an interview with Oliver stone back in 2019 - the president doesn't rule, it is the men in suites behind the scenes. Now, dickheads like Michael Moore, is like a clock, can be right at least twice a day. In this regard, he kind of mentioned it in Fahrenheit 911 where he makes mention of it with Reagan (I think that was the movie). Well, nothing has changed. Trump was the guy who kinda tried to change the game. He was not their guy. He tried and was reeled in cause he had no choice, and this isn't some tinfoil hat nonsense. We see what has happened when Presidents get out of line. Heck, the shit that happens now would make the Richard Nixon's Watergate conspiracy blush yet nothing happens to the Clintons and the like. When you vote in the USA or Canada, it is two sides to the same coin. No matter who you vote for, the policy will be the same. Why is that? In Canada, we had a potential, a different person that was our last hope and that was Jack Layton. He died and so did the NDP die with him.

Anyway, to get to the point; in our countries in the west, they can control us through intimidation and nonsense. Most Canadians and Americans vote only based upon what they quickly learned from watching the news and or what they think is the best option for them. When that was starting to falter, they started to intimidate people by threatening them. Example: Vote for trump? You are a racist and you will be canceled. This is just an example. Speak your mind, and you will lose your job. See the biggest problem here? In the west, you rely on your 1 job (cause getting a new job is very hard), and if you lose your job, how will you pay your bills? Feed your kids? Put a roof over your head? People on average here, including myself (getting out of this) live paycheck to paycheck.

So this is why nothing changes. We, the people, are being held hostage. And currently those who are holding us hostage are the moronic SJW's as example.

That is why, same shit people get voted in.

Oh, and also, to start a political party, you have to have a shit ton of money.

Cowboy's daughter, Finty and Mir like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:02 pm

miketheterrible wrote:
    Mir wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:

I've always been pro-NATO intervention in Afghanistan. In as far as it seemed there were really willing to build up the country and its institutions, raise education and fight fundamentalism.

I supported them too at first, they had legitimate reason to go in

9/11 was a dick move and if AlQaeda wanted it to be military operation instead of a terrorist crime they would have sent all those airplanes on the Pentagon because it was a military target

Twin Towers were definitely NOT a military target

Plus Bin Laden and his shitheads were involved in wars against us back in town 90s and were paying money to US politicians to f*ck us over

Of course that supports on my end fizzled out later when it became clear that USA didn't go to Afghanistan to avenge civilians but to do other stuff instead

GarryB, Cowboy's daughter, Maximmmm and Finty like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:26 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    I supported them too at first, they had legitimate reason to go in

9/11 was a dick move and if AlQaeda wanted it to be military operation instead of a terrorist crime they would have sent all those airplanes on the Pentagon because it was a military target

Twin Towers were definitely NOT a military target

Plus Bin Laden and his shitheads were involved in wars against us back in town 90s and were paying money to US politicians to f*ck us over

Of course that supports on my end fizzled out later when it became clear that USA didn't go to Afghanistan to avenge civilians but to do other stuff instead

Yes most people fell for the big Iraq WMD lie - despite the fact that the OPWC discrediting their BS claims. Remember back then the OPWC was a legit organization, but soon after that the dismantling began. Today the OPWC has no credibility at all.

GarryB, par far, Cowboy's daughter, Maximmmm and Finty like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:29 pm

Sujoy wrote:
    Pakistan's end game is to usurp the whole of Afghanistan to gain strategic depth against both Hindus(India) and Shias(Iran). They are half way there already thanks to the biased Durand line. Even during the heydays of NATO's occupation of Afghanistan, Pakistan kept the pot boiling by supporting various jihadi forces inside Afghanistan.

Bottom line, nation building in Afghanistan is just not possible: Pakistan won't allow that.

Strategic depth is yesterday's world.

I think you seriously underestimate the future Chinese influence over Pakistan in terms of economic benefit to the whole region. This is now the Chinese hinterland, they will rule it economically for decades to come. This is just the messy beginning.

auslander and Finty like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 pm

Sujoy wrote:
    Let me just ask - then why is it that this same constituency of "mostly down to earth and good people" continues to elect one sinister government after another who for the last 7 decades have taken it upon themselves to destabilize every single nation that they define as third world?  

Clearly mostly down to earth and good people would have been extremely concerned about such misadventures sponsored by their elected government. Instead, it seems that the American electorate are quite pleased with such endeavors because it improves the financial fortunes of both their government and corporates.

Mike explains it quite well in his previous post. The American democracy is a two party system run by an elite group of people whom have the same goal. Whatever party comes into power makes no difference at all when it comes to foreign policy. Trump promised to drain the swamp - he himself drowned in it. Obama was awarded the Noble Peace price before he was even President. He holds the record for the President whom started the most wars.

In a nutshell - Big Capital runs the show - the common people have no say.

GarryB, flamming_python, par far, Cowboy's daughter and Finty like this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:08 pm

JohninMK wrote: Strategic depth is yesterday's world.

I think you seriously underestimate the future Chinese influence over Pakistan in terms of economic benefit to the whole region. This is now the Chinese hinterland, they will rule it economically for decades to come. This is just the messy beginning.
    Why future? China is already bankrolling Pakistan for the last 20 years. They have more influence on Pakistan than even the Saudis. However, how many Pakistani military officers, politicians, bureaucrats are settling down in China compared to those who are settling in the U.S? Ergo, Pakistan knows fully well how to balance both the U.S and China.

Pakistan survives by being a nuisance. And it is valuable for China primarily because of its ability to carry out China's dirty work in countries like Afghanistan.
    par far

Post  par far Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:05 pm

Erdogan is making big moves in Afghanistan and in Russia.

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:17 pm

The Baluchistan may become Afghanistan #2, in a bad way, for Pakistan & PRC. The insurgents there can be supplied by air & sea.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/politics/taliban-escorted-american-kabul-airport/index.html

https://youtu.be/LXG8zj6G9vw  

https://youtu.be/DceRbxUX5ww

https://youtu.be/jZ4itIHTSqg    

https://youtu.be/EwsljGFe6to

Saigon forged a new future; Kabul revives a dark past
    The people who sought to flee Vietnam were attempting to escape an authoritarian political future, while the Afghans fear plunging back to a dark past. The Vietnamese communist government’s modernization plan eventually included a large role for the US; not so for any intentions involving the medieval theologians of the Taliban.
    https://asiatimes.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2049a8663daea00bd30c32cf2&id=1250d05259&e=5455568640

US and Taliban building a package deal
    US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan in an interview on Sunday with CBS’s Face the Nation discussed the evolving relationship between Washington and the Afghan Taliban, which appear to have struck a deal on reopening the US embassy in Kabul as part of a possible wider accommodation.
    https://asiatimes.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2049a8663daea00bd30c32cf2&id=2de11be685&e=5455568640

US visa lottery winners stuck in Kabul and out of luck
     https://asiatimes.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2049a8663daea00bd30c32cf2&id=38125594fe&e=5455568640

Fighting resumed in the Panjshir gorge - TV
    16:12 08/31/2021 Source: Interfax

Fighting intensified again in the Panjshir Valley in northeastern Afghanistan, where the forces of the National Resistance Front opposing the Taliban movement (banned in Russia) are located, CNN reported.
    "Heavy fighting continues on the Havak Pass leading to Panjshir. We had no internet access until the very last moment. Resistance forces are in Puli Hisar district (Baghlan province - IF) and clashes continue. The Taliban have lost hundreds of people." - the commander, fighting for the National Salvation Front, told the TV channel.
    https://www.ng.ru/news/718685.html?print=Y

Last edited by Tsavo Lion on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:01 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add links)

Cowboy's daughter and Finty like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 pm

Mir wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:

Absolutely, I'm on that side regarding secularism vs fundamentalism and the spread of the Pakistan model to Central Asia poses a great long-term risk to Russia. Of course now there is no choice but make agreements with the Taliban and coerce them to honor them. But potentially it can become a safe-have for all sorts of Islamists from the Caucasus and Central Asia.

A corrupt American client state in Afghanistan doesn't pose a threat to anyone, and its probably better for the people of Afghanistan too.
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:44 pm

A corrupt American client state in Afghanistan doesn't pose a threat to anyone, and its probably better for the people of Afghanistan too.

Make no mistake a corrupt American client state on your doorstep will not work out well for you. In fact it will make it much easier for them to export terror to your country.

par far and Cowboy's daughter like this post

Finty
    Finty

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan - Page 24 Empty Afghan crisis: Russia plans for new era with Taliban rule

Post  Finty Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:05 pm

BBC's take on Russia, from a few day's ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58265934

When US and European governments raced to get their citizens and Afghan colleagues out of Kabul this week, Russia was one of very few countries not visibly alarmed by the Taliban takeover.

Russian diplomats described the new men in town as "normal guys" and argued that the capital was safer now than before. President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that the Taliban's takeover was a reality they had to work with.

It is all a far cry from the disastrous nine-year war in Afghanistan that many Russians remember from propping up Kabul's communist government in the 1980s.

Warm words for Taliban
    Unlike most foreign embassies in the capital, Russia says its diplomatic mission remains open and it's had warm words for the new rulers. Ambassador Dmitry Zhirnov met a Taliban representative within 48 hours of the takeover and said he had seen no evidence of reprisals or violence.

Moscow's UN representative Vassily Nebenzia spoke of a bright future of national reconciliation, with law and order returning to the streets and of "the ending of many years of bloodshed".

May 2019: Representatives of Taliban chat with Russian presidential envoy to Afghanistan, Zamir Kabulov (R)
    IMAGE SOURCEGETTY IMAGES
    image captionRussia's special Afghanistan envoy (R) has been talking to Taliban leaders for some years
    President Putin's special envoy to Afghanistan, Zamir Kabulov, even said the Taliban were easier to negotiate with than the old "puppet government" of exiled President Ashraf Ghani.

Moscow has had little time for Mr Ghani: its diplomats claimed this week he had fled with four cars and a helicopter full of cash - accusations he dismissed as lies.

Charting Russia's improving ties
    Russia is not racing to recognise the Taliban as Afghanistan's rulers, but there has been an apparent softening of rhetoric. State news agency Tass this week replaced the term "terrorist" with "radical" in its reports on the Taliban.

Moscow has been building contacts with the Taliban for some time. Even though the Taliban have been on Russia's list of terrorist and banned organisations since 2003, the group's representatives have been coming to Moscow for talks since 2018.

Taliban fighters mobilise to control a crowd in Kabul on Thursday, Aug. 19, 2021.
    IMAGE SOURCELOS ANGELES TIMES/GETTY
    image captionRussia has not yet recognised the Taliban as Afghanistan's new government
    The former Western-backed Afghan government accused Russia's presidential envoy of being an open supporter of the Taliban and of excluding the official government from three years of Moscow talks.

Mr Kabulov denied that and said they were ungrateful. But as far back as 2015 he said Russia's interests coincided with the Taliban when it came to fighting Islamic State (IS) jihadists.

That did not go unnoticed in Washington. US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson accused Russia in August 2017 of supplying arms to the Taliban, a remark that Moscow rejected and described as "perplexing".

The foreign ministry in Moscow said it had "asked our American colleagues to provide evidence, but to no avail… we do not provide any support to the Taliban".

In February this year, Mr Kabulov angered the Afghan government by praising the Taliban for fulfilling its side of the Doha agreements "immaculately" while accusing Kabul of sabotaging them.

Focus on regional security
    Despite its closer ties with the Taliban, Moscow is for now staying pragmatic, watching developments and not removing the group from its terror list just yet. President Putin said he hoped the Taliban would make good on its promises to restore order. "It's important not to allow terrorists to spill into neighbouring countries," he said.

The key factors shaping Russia's policy are regional stability and its own painful history in Afghanistan. It wants secure borders for its Central Asian allies and to prevent the spread of terrorism and drug trafficking.

When the US targeted the Taliban after the 9/11 attacks and set up bases in former Soviet states in the region, Russia initially welcomed the move. But relations soon grew strained.

Earlier this month Russia held military exercises in Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, aimed at reassuring Central Asian countries, some of which are military allies of Moscow.

Last month Russia obtained Taliban assurances that any Afghan gains wouldn't threaten its regional allies and that they would continue to fight IS militants.

Danger lies on Kabul road to freedom
    Russia's bitter memory of war
    Russia stresses it has no interest in sending troops to Afghanistan, and it is not hard to see why. It fought a bloody and, many would argue, pointless war there in the latter years of the Soviet Union in the 1980s.

media captionVladimir Semochkin served in Afghanistan in 1987-1989
    What began as a 1979 invasion to prop up a friendly regime lasted nine years and cost the lives of 15,000 Soviet personnel.

It turned the USSR into an international pariah, with many countries boycotting the 1980 Moscow Olympics. It became a massive burden on the crumbling Soviet economy.

While the Soviet Union installed a government in Kabul led by Babrak Karmal, the US, Pakistan, China, Iran and Saudi Arabia supplied money and arms to the mujahideen, who fought the Soviet troops and their Afghan allies.

Afghan anti-Soviet resistance fighters with their primitive arms in the eastern parts of the country.
    IMAGE SOURCEAFP
    image captionThe Soviets were eventually forced to leave Afghanistan after a guerrilla campaign by mujahideen
    Many of those killed were teenage Soviet army conscripts, and the war drove home a realisation of just how little the Soviet authorities cared about their own people. The war is widely thought to have hastened the end of the Soviet Union, at least in part, by stirring disillusionment with its rulers.

The war ended with an ignominious military withdrawal in February 1989.

View of Soviet army soldiers as they stand on an around armoured personnel carriers during the final Soviet troop withdrawal ceremony, Kabul, Afghanistan, May 15, 1988
    IMAGE SOURCEGETTY IMAGES
    image captionMany Russians have painful memories of the nine years spent fighting a war in the final years of the Soviet Union
    Fears for the future
    Russia may have given the impression of being prepared for the Taliban's sweep to power, but some experts believe Moscow was taken by surprise as much as everyone else.

"We cannot talk about any strategy from Moscow," says Andrey Serenko from the Russian Centre for Contemporary Afghanistan Study who sees decision being made on the hoof. "Moscow is worried about being late to the reshaping of the regional architecture."

Others in Moscow are wary of what Taliban rule might bring.

Andrei Kortunov, head of the Russian International Affairs Council think tank, believes they will struggle to control the entire country, especially the north, and that could threaten Russia and its neighbours.

"Perhaps, some cells of al-Qaeda, perhaps of Isis, based in Afghanistan, would instigate some actions in Central Asia," he says.

He also fears a sharp deterioration in the Afghan economy, which could in turn prompt further instability.

Cowboy's daughter likes this post

Finty
    Finty

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan - Page 24 Empty Afghanistan: Final flights arriving as UK's campaign ends

Post  Finty Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:07 pm

... and the BBC's take on the end of the UK's evac

Afghanistan: Final flights arriving as UK's campaign ends

The final flights bringing British troops home from Afghanistan are arriving, as the UK's 20-year military campaign ends.

The last British flight has left Kabul, and the ambassador to Afghanistan, Sir Laurie Bristow, arrived at RAF Brize Norton on Sunday morning.

Further flights are expected to arrive at the RAF base in Oxfordshire later.

More than 15,000 people, including about 2,200 children, have been evacuated by the UK since 14 August.

About 800 to 1,100 eligible Afghans, including those who worked for the UK government, and 100 to 150 British nationals were feared to be unable to make evacuation flights.

More than 1,000 UK service personnel were in Kabul at the height of the airlift operation. The final dedicated civilian evacuation flight left Kabul on Saturday.

Taxi driver, shopkeeper: UK victims of Kabul attack
    Afghan fleeing to UK gives birth at 30,000 feet
    'My Kabul airport disguise and how I escaped'
    Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday that if the Taliban regime wanted diplomatic recognition and aid funding, they would have to ensure "safe passage" for those who wanted to leave.

In a joint statement with the US and more than 90 other countries, it was confirmed that the Taliban had said anyone who wished to leave the country could do so.

The statement said: "We have received assurances from the Taliban that all foreign nationals and any Afghan citizen with travel authorisation from our countries will be allowed to proceed in a safe and orderly manner to points of departure and travel outside the country."

line
    At the scene: Pride and frustration as evacuation ends
    Military personnel arrive at RAF Brize Norton base after being evacuated from Afghanistan
    IMAGE SOURCEREUTERS
    By Simon Jones, BBC reporter

At RAF Brize Norton, they're preparing for the arrival of more British troops from Afghanistan.

The vast majority of military personnel have now left the region. Dogs and equipment have been brought back too.

There's a sense of pride at the air base at how the evacuation operation has gone over the past two weeks - in hugely challenging circumstances.

But there's also frustration that some people who wanted to get out of the country have been left behind.

Some of the troops, who will now face a period in quarantine, will need support too - due to the harrowing scenes they witnessed at Kabul airport.

And although we are seeing the last major flights to the UK carrying troops from Kabul, more personnel will be brought back in smaller groups in the coming days, meaning the operation still has some time to run.

line
    Vice Adm Key, chief of joint operations, said that while he "pays testament" to everything achieved by British forces over the last two weeks, "we know that there are some really sad stories of people who have desperately tried to leave that - no matter how hard our efforts - we have been unsuccessful in evacuating".

Speaking at RAF Brize Norton, Vice Adm Key said the 31 August deadline imposed by the Taliban prevented them evacuating more people "who had helped us so wonderfully and courageously over the last 20 years".

Ambassador Sir Laurie, who had been processing those fleeing the country at the airport, pledged to continue efforts to support Afghanistan from a new embassy location in Qatar.

media caption"Thousands more did get out... thousands more are still left behind"
    No 10 said the youngest child evacuated was just one day old.

About 5,000 British nationals and their families were airlifted, alongside more than 8,000 Afghan former UK staff and their families and those considered at risk from the Taliban.

This number is in addition to the number of Afghans set to be resettled in the UK through a separate multi-year programme - with all arrivals coming under a new effort called Operation Warm Welcome.

media captionBoris Johnson: "It's the culmination of a mission unlike anything we've seen in our lifetimes"
    In a video posted on Twitter on Sunday, Mr Johnson praised the "colossal exertions" of those involved in the evacuation operation who worked "to a remorseless deadline, in harrowing conditions".

He said that although the UK "would not have wished to leave in this way", the suffering and hardship of all the troops involved over 20 years was "not in vain".

Cowboy's daughter likes this post

SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:54 pm

Mir wrote:

Make no mistake a corrupt American client state on your doorstep will not work out well for you. In fact it will make it much easier for them to export terror to your country.

if we wanted to do that, Having Afghan or not won't make a difference.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:02 am

Mir wrote:

Objectively speaking that state existed for 20 years, and throughout that time the terror was focused all on them, not on outside states.

I'm all for peace in the country. If the Taliban manage it, and build stable, good relations and exclude threats to anyone else from their own territory, then I guess that will be fine. We'll wait and see

GarryB and Mir like this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:41 am

Taliban 'cuts off communications' and 'sends hundreds of fighters' to Afghan province to battle resistance forces holding out against the militants

Residents say Taliban have cut off phone and internet connections to the region

Anti-Taliban fighters have gathered in the Panjshir Province north of the capital

Locals also claim Taliban have cut off roads to the area which has caused food prices to sky rocket but it is not known if this is ahead of an assault by Taliban

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9944423/Taliban-cuts-communications-Afghan-province-home-resistance-forces.html
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:44 am

Ashish Sinha
    @Ashish_sinhaa
    ·
    6h
    Taliban claimed that Taliban managed to break into Panjsher from multiple location , currently Taliban are inside in Kotal Khawak, Ab Kharandra and Dawa area of Panjsher , Taliban also managed to reach high way from mountains of Badakhan fronts.

Northern Alliance 🇭🇺
    @NA2NRF
    ·
    3h

Hour ago taliban-terrorists wanted trough kotal-khawak attack #Panjshir but got in NRF ambush as a result 41 taliban killed, 20 captured & prisoned.

As a commander Hasib said :" we'll let you enter the Valley but not let out"
    *2 failure in Panjshir.

Northern Alliance Flag of Hungary
    @NA2NRF
    ·
    Aug 30
    As a result of the unsuccessful attack, according to known data:

10 Taliban were killed,
    Dozens of Humvees captured, Several heavy armored vehicles were blown up by the #AhmadMassoud Resistance Forces.

No casualties from NRF.

Battle still going on.

Northern Alliance Flag of Hungary
    @NA2NRF
    ·
    Aug 30

1/2. Taliban were planned to attack from a different areas on #Panjshir but with normal resistance and without any pain NRF forced taliban to retreat.

Northern Alliance 🇭🇺
    @NA2NRF
    ·
    Aug 30
    2/2
    🔴The casualties of talibs in battles:

1. 85 killed, 108 wounded(Andarab)
    2. 12 killed, 26 wounded(JabalSiraj)
    3. 8 killed, 9 wounded,34 H.A.W of the enemy were captured.

NRF has few casualties, several injured, don't worry! God is with us.

Source:Alyas Amini Panjshiri
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:47 am

https://www.foxnews.com/world/taliban-kabul-executions-afghanistan-gunshots-audio

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-takes-responsibility-for-decision-to-withdraw-troops-from-afghanistan-touts-evacuation-of-120k

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-dishonest-afghan-accounting-joe-biden-speech-taliban-afghanistan-withdrawal-20-year-war-11630448010

Deep roots of the situation in Central Asia.
    https://youtu.be/psyK-uipFWw
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:55 am

miketheterrible wrote:It is possible the partition of Afghanistan much like Somalia with Somaliland.

That would be pretty impossible. They are surrounded. Somaliland has borders with Ethiopia and Djibouti and access to the sea at Berbera. I visited Somaliland about 7yrs ago. Not much to see apart from Laas Geel

miketheterrible likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:18 am

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:03 pm