Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Typhoon class SSBNs future:

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Typhoon class SSBNs future: - Page 6 Empty Re: Typhoon class SSBNs future:

Post  Big_Gazza on Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:37 am

lancelot wrote:
    GarryB wrote:...
    The funny thing is that the west was always going on about how unsafe Soviet liquid propellent missiles were regarding handling, but as far as I know the only major handing problem they had was loading an SS-N-20 solid fuelled missile into an Akula... it was dropped and of course exploded because that is what solid fuel is supposed to do... burn vigorously.... It is my understanding the burnt and damaged external tiles were not replaced and that sub got the nickname Red October because of the fire damage to its exterior....
    I would attribute that more to proper use guidelines and luck to be honest.
    There was a major accident in Soviet history with hypergolic propellant rockets. The Nedelin disaster.
    Hypergolic fuel fumes are toxic and the substance is corrosive. Plus it ignites in contact with water or moist air.
    Not exactly what you would want in a submarine.

Solid fuel is safer but it can still ignite. A bit like a powder keg.

The main incident with Soviet SSBN hypergolics was the loss of K-219 in 1986, when a Pr.667A Yankee-I class was lost after an explosion of a R-27/SS-N-6 missile following a leak of seawater into a missile tube. It resulted in 4 deaths' and the loss of the boat (which now sits at the colossal depth of 6kms, along with its full complement of 16x 1MT warheads, plus whatever nuke torpedoes she may have been carrying).
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:
    lancelot wrote:
    GarryB wrote:...
    The funny thing is that the west was always going on about how unsafe Soviet liquid propellent missiles were regarding handling, but as far as I know the only major handing problem they had was loading an SS-N-20 solid fuelled missile into an Akula... it was dropped and of course exploded because that is what solid fuel is supposed to do... burn vigorously.... It is my understanding the burnt and damaged external tiles were not replaced and that sub got the nickname Red October because of the fire damage to its exterior....
    There was a major accident in Soviet history with hypergolic propellant rockets. The Nedelin disaster.
    Hypergolic fuel fumes are toxic and the substance is corrosive. Plus it ignites in contact with water or moist air.

Solid fuel is safer but it can still ignite. A bit like a powder keg.

The main incident with Soviet SSBN hypergolics was the loss of K-219 in 1986, when a Pr.667A Yankee-I class was lost after an explosion of a R-27/SS-N-6 missile following a leak of seawater into a missile tube. It resulted in 4 deaths' and the loss of the boat (which now sits at the colossal depth of 6kms, along with its full complement of 16x 1MT warheads, plus whatever nuke torpedoes she may have been carrying).

The distribution of such incidents is abnormal. If liquid fueled missiles were at risk for spontaneous fires, then over a 40 year period spread over tens
    of submarines there would have been many more cases. Sabotage should never be excluded.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:35 am

Not at all... liquid fuelled rockets with storable liquids can be loaded into a sub empty and therefore handling is totally safe. Once the missiles are on board the sub they can then be fuelled up safely.

It is a myth that solid propellants are safer than liquids both are highly volatile materials designed to nearly explode in normal use.

There are no nuclear missiles that are safe and biodegradable...

Sorry to nit-pick but I think you mean the Ohio class? The LAs are attack subs.

Yeah, that...

The main incident with Soviet SSBN hypergolics was the loss of K-219 in 1986, when a Pr.667A Yankee-I class was lost after an explosion of a R-27/SS-N-6 missile following a leak of seawater into a missile tube.

Old sub and old missile.... if you listened to western BS every Soviet sub has a fire burning right now...

The US had their problems with liquid oxidisers too... look up the PEPCON distaster... that killed two and injured about 300...

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:41 pm

Typhoon class SSBNs future: - Page 6 EnP_PrUW8AA188w?format=jpg&name=smallTyphoon class SSBNs future: - Page 6 EnP_PreXcAAgoe1?format=jpg&name=small
    Typhoon class SSBNs future: - Page 6 EnP_PrTWEAIhNDR?format=jpg&name=900x900Typhoon class SSBNs future: - Page 6 EnP_PraXMAAymit?format=jpg&name=small
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs on Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Ah, that cheesy "Hunt for Red October" film derived product.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:54 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:Typhoon class SSBNs future: - Page 6 EnP_PraXMAAymit?format=jpg&name=small

I want one for my bar... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:06 pm