Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+83
Mir
caveat emptor
famschopman
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Broski
walle83
Autodestruct
Podlodka77
Krepost
mnztr
Rasisuki Nebia
JeremySun
Backman
dino00
limb
x_54_u43
The-thing-next-door
marat
GarryB
LMFS
owais.usmani
Arrow
PhSt
Rodion_Romanovic
ult
nero
Tsavo Lion
Admin
marcellogo
verkhoturye51
Truck
PTURBG
Nibiru
GunshipDemocracy
kumbor
KiloGolf
Hole
Peŕrier
par far
miroslav
ZoA
Tingsay
T-47
tomazy
Big_Gazza
miketheterrible
AlfaT8
PapaDragon
Singular_Transform
hoom
Project Canada
SeigSoloyvov
TheArmenian
Isos
RedJasmin
wilhelm
OminousSpudd
Zivo
max steel
medo
artjomh
flamming_python
Dima
JohninMK
mack8
ExBeobachter1987
Rmf
kvs
Cucumber Khan
KomissarBojanchev
sepheronx
franco
Vann7
magnumcromagnon
Mike E
zg18
Flyingdutchman
George1
Hannibal Barca
TR1
Austin
Firebird
Viktor
87 posters

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 am

    Militarov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Goliath crane installation in Zvezda:
    .....


    More pics:

    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/96598/

    But that is Finnish crane from what i am aware

    It's definitely imported, probably from Finland so yes

    Why?
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7383
    Points : 7341
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  miketheterrible Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:03 am

    Do you really need to ask that question? He will blather on about Russia produces nothing cause it couldn't build a simple crane, and had to import one.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 am

    miketheterrible wrote:Do you really need to ask that question? He will blather on about Russia produces nothing cause it couldn't build a simple crane, and had to import one.

    Before this becomes another aircraft carrier discussion I would like to implore everyone to exercise restraint.

    Yes it does suck that Russia has to import this stuff (even though they may be on the clock ATM).

    But also let's not pretend that Russia had some master plan. 
    True, they might have one now but until less than a decade ago their only ambition was to become more blizzardy version of Saudi Arabia.

    Industrialization came up only recently so it takes time for effects to kick in and it is faster to just buy one from abroad.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov


    Posts : 3699
    Points : 3679
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:01 am

    Chances are the Finns could make the crane faster then Russia could have so it would make sense to import it if they needed it right away and they could not do it themselves at the time table.

    Better to do import it then have delays.
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 15129
    Points : 15266
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Turdope's Kanada

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  kvs Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Do you really need to ask that question? He will blather on about Russia produces nothing cause it couldn't build a simple crane, and had to import one.

    Before this becomes another aircraft carrier discussion I would like to implore everyone to exercise restraint.

    Yes it does suck that Russia has to import this stuff (even though they may be on the clock ATM).

    But also let's not pretend that Russia had some master plan. 
    True, they might have one now but until less than a decade ago their only ambition was to become more blizzardy version of Saudi Arabia.

    Industrialization came up only recently so it takes time for effects to kick in and it is faster to just buy one from abroad.

    Militarov is trolling. We live in a global economy so it is often cheaper to buy foreign made goods and services.
    So why would any Russian company pay more and wait years for some non-existent domestic production line to get started?
    Even import substitution does not imply 100% self-reliance. Unless Russia wants to compete on the global market making
    such cranes it may never bother starting production of this class.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7383
    Points : 7341
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  miketheterrible Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 am

    I don't agree with those assessments. And anyway, that is what Militarov would say and he isn't wrong either. I was being more exaggerating but lets be real here, Russia should be building it themselves. Finland isn't necessarily a friend of Russia but so far, lately, they have been pretty decent neighbors compared to other assholes. So I guess it is fine.

    Anyway, I don't really care. I am glad the shipyard is going as well as it is. They need this.
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 11301
    Points : 11271
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  Isos Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:I don't agree with those assessments.  And anyway, that is what Militarov would say and he isn't wrong either.  I was being more exaggerating but lets be real here, Russia should be building it themselves.  Finland isn't necessarily a friend of Russia but so far, lately, they have been pretty decent neighbors compared to other assholes.  So I guess it is fine.

    Anyway, I don't really care.  I am glad the shipyard is going as well as it is.  They need this.

    There isn't lot of countries that would buy such things. Most of them can produce it themselves. So I don't think Finland wishes to lose such a client. France did the mistake with Mistrals and it was really badly seen in France. Hopefully they sold them to egypt but if they didn't it would have been a big issue. Neither Ukraine, neither Usa or UK wanted to buy them. They just push you to do what they want and then no help. Tje same would occure in finland...
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 38970
    Points : 39466
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  GarryB Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:01 am

    To be fair the main lesson from the Misral debacle is that even paid for contracts can be broken by americas bitches.

    Ask me just 4-5 years ago if France was a bitch to America and i would have said not... France has pride... in itself and its customers.

    The whole purpose of buying the Mistrals was that they would have both been in service by now in a largely already proven design.

    I had to say I laughed out loud at the French reaction when a certain country that had promised to buy French helos if Russia did not get her carriers reneged on that deal too.

    Similar to the feelings I had when terrorists were killing french people in Paris... imagine foreigners coming to your country and blowing things up and killing people... (Note I am from New Zealand BTW)

    Russian companies probably could have come up with a crane that was able to do the job... I don't think they chose a Finn crane because it was from Finland.

    Clearly it must have had better specs or was cheaper, or could be done within the required time frame.
    avatar
    T-47


    Posts : 260
    Points : 258
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  T-47 Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 pm

    GarryB wrote:To be fair the main lesson from the Misral debacle is that even paid for contracts can be broken by americas bitches.

    Ask me just 4-5 years ago if France was a bitch to America and i would have said not... France has pride... in itself and its customers.

    The whole purpose of buying the Mistrals was that they would have both been in service by now in a largely already proven design.

    I had to say I laughed out loud at the French reaction when a certain country that had promised to buy French helos if Russia did not get her carriers reneged on that deal too.

    Similar to the feelings I had when terrorists were killing french people in Paris... imagine foreigners coming to your country and blowing things up and killing people... (Note I am from New Zealand BTW)

    Russian companies probably could have come up with a crane that was able to do the job... I don't think they chose a Finn crane because it was from Finland.

    Clearly it must have had better specs or was cheaper, or could be done within the required time frame.

    Time is a big factor, also the limited money. You have to prioritize things. There are more important sectors to spend money for now than building big cranes. I'm pretty sure Russian industry will come up with big cranes as well once the chaos settle up.
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 38970
    Points : 39466
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  GarryB Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:33 am

    The thing is that Russia will have companies that make cranes but we are talking about a huge crane... not something they will make very often... not a normal part of their inventory of products.

    The point is that this shipyard is rather big and will be making some big ships, so they will need big cranes, but they wont be needing 500 of them.

    If we were talking about 100 ton capacity cranes and they needed 1,000 of them, then it would make sense to get a Russian company to make them because there would be plenty of work in it and likely future maintainence and support work needed.

    When you only need one or two really big ones there is no point getting investing in a small Russian company that makes small cranes to build one or two really big ones... it makes more sense to find a company that makes big ones and has experience and is ready to make an existing proven design.

    Obviously we are not talking a weapon.

    If we were talking about a missile and we went to an AAM maker and said we want a 1,000km range AAM we would never consider foreign makers... that is just a given.

    With a crane it is not such an issue.

    In fact having a Russian maker of heavy cranes really only makes sense if there is a viable market for Russian heavy cranes. Without a market spending money to create a Russian heavy crane company and then just make one crane is stupid and wasteful.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Civilian or military?

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:06 pm

    .
    Civilian or military? confused

    Zvezda shipyard will lay down first four vessels in September 2017


    http://www.en.portnews.ru/news/243940/
    avatar
    hoom


    Posts : 2352
    Points : 2340
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  hoom Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 am

    From recollection the whole basis for the rework is a contract for 7* 200,000ton tankers.
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 ZVEZDA_SSZ_160622_01
    Apparently they have started on the big drydock now too.

    The Goliath is completed now (& confirmed thats an Oscar looking tiny next to it)
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 F_czAxOS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k2MDYvMTcwOC80ZC9kZDJlNjk0YWM4Y2EuanBnP19faWQ9OTY4MTg=
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 4549385_original

    As with others above as long as you're able to successfully source them overseas there's not much point trying to create a Goliath class crane domestically, there just isn't enough global demand for many manufacturers.
    Even US uses imported ones eg the one at Newport News was built by Krupp http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1558:newport-news-shipbuilding-name-is-back-on-giant-crane&Itemid=257
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8


    Posts : 2465
    Points : 2456
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  AlfaT8 Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:19 pm

    Looks like it's mostly done, now all we have to do is wait for the order to be given, any words from Rogozin, Shoygu or Putin?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:49 pm

    hoom wrote:............
    The Goliath is completed now (& confirmed thats an Oscar looking tiny next to it)
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 F_czAxOS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k2MDYvMTcwOC80ZC9kZDJlNjk0YWM4Y2EuanBnP19faWQ9OTY4MTg=.........

    Compared to that Goliath entire shipyard looks tiny...



    There are two Oscars in overhaul there currently: К-132 Irkutsk and К-442 Chelabinsk

    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/96818/

    You can clearly see other one in this pic:
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 F_czAxOS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k2MTYvMTcwOC9iZi83MzkyOWZhMWMxYTEuanBnP19faWQ9OTY4MTg=


    Fist ship laid down might be this civilian one for Rosneft. Anyone know what kind of ship this is?
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 F_aTA1Ni5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1LzE3MDgvNWMvODllNzNiNTI5MGUzLmpwZw==

    avatar
    T-47


    Posts : 260
    Points : 258
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  T-47 Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 pm

    AlfaT8 wrote:Looks like it's mostly done, now all we have to do is wait for the order to be given, any words from Rogozin, Shoygu or Putin?

    PapaDragon put a link. words from Rogozin.

    PapaDragon wrote:.
    Civilian or military? confused

    Zvezda shipyard will lay down first four vessels in September 2017


    http://www.en.portnews.ru/news/243940/

    I think civilian. For Gazprom or Rosneft. They are the main investor in this shipyard after all. Also GPV 2025 doesn't have any indications that a shipyard with this size is needed right now.
    avatar
    T-47


    Posts : 260
    Points : 258
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  T-47 Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Fist ship laid down might be this civilian one for Rosneft. Anyone know what kind of ship this is?
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 F_aTA1Ni5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1LzE3MDgvNWMvODllNzNiNTI5MGUzLmpwZw==

    I think that ship is a reinforced ice-class multi-functional support vessel. Rosneft ordered two of them, will be built on Zvezda shipyard.

    http://www.offshoreenergytoday.com/rosneft-orders-ice-class-support-vessels-at-zvezda-shipyard/
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 18313
    Points : 18810
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  George1 Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:35 am

    About the future of the factory of SSK "Zvezda"

    Lay out and here. The interview is interesting because they do not talk with a big boss, but with a person directly from production.

    George1
    George1


    Posts : 18313
    Points : 18810
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  George1 Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:28 pm

    Some photos of ships under construction in PJSC Shipyard "Severnaya Verf"

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2796766.html

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:42 pm


    Zvezda drydock construction:
    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 CzAxNS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2kzMzEvMTcwOS9jZS82OGEyYWVhNDg3MTguanBnP19faWQ9OTc2MjM=

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 ATA3NS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1LzE3MDkvMDEvNzFlNWYxMWRhZTZiLmpwZz9fX2lkPTk3NjIz

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 CzQyLnJhZGlrYWwucnUvaTA5Ni8xNzA5L2JkL2Q1NzRiMDUwMmRjNy5qcGc_X19pZD05NzYyMw==

    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/97623/
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 pm

    .
    Pella undergoing upgrades, more pics in link:

    Зашивка стен нового эллинга ЛСЗ «Пелла»

    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/97655/

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 ATAxMy5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1LzE3MDkvNWUvMjE4OWViNmViNjUxLmpwZz9fX2lkPTk3NjU1
    avatar
    Tingsay


    Posts : 183
    Points : 185
    Join date : 2016-12-09

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  Tingsay Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 pm


    Pella is in good hands!
    It needs to take on Project 20386 Derzky immediately. I'm certain they'll finish the job faster than Severnaya and Amur combined.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 pm

    Tingsay wrote:
    Pella is in good hands!
    It needs to take on Project 20386 Derzky immediately. I'm certain they'll finish the job faster than Severnaya and Amur combined.

    Agreed.

    Been saying that for quite some time, they are more than ready for corvettes.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 13271
    Points : 13313
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 pm

    '

    Not military vessels but Zvezda just started working on 4 (FOUR) vessels simultaneously. This is how you build ships, not one at a time with decade long pause between 4 ships

    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/97746/

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 CzAwMS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2kxOTMvMTcwOS9kMC9iZWE5OTBmOTBiYTguanBn

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 CzAxOS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k2MDUvMTcwOS81MS85ZmZmYThiNmYzYTkuanBnP19faWQ9OTc3NDY=

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 CzAxOC5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k1MTAvMTcwOS9mNy9lZjg3NTU2YWYzMGMuanBnP19faWQ9OTc3NDY=
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7383
    Points : 7341
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  miketheterrible Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 pm

    This is Russia's most modern shipyard and biggest too after its ready to build 114,000 ton ships. This shipyard will be classified as strategic while the other shipyards will have to get their shit together.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8


    Posts : 2465
    Points : 2456
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  AlfaT8 Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:54 am

    IMO, they need another one of these Shipyards in the North.

    Sponsored content


    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News - Page 9 Empty Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 am