Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+69
OminousSpudd
zorobabel
BKP
PapaDragon
calm
TheArmenian
KomissarBojanchev
Benya
d_taddei2
franco
kvs
JohninMK
eehnie
miketheterrible
ATLASCUB
Big_Gazza
MMBR
ultimatewarrior
0nillie0
crod
par far
starman
Airman
AbdulhamidtheSecond
ali.a.r
arpakola
Walther von Oldenburg
airstrike
Mindstorm
RTN
Zastel
George1
Grazneyar
VARGR198
KiloGolf
jhelb
Austin
Vann7
Visc
Azi
whir
higurashihougi
Teshub
Erk
max steel
AlfaT8
medo
Hannibal Barca
rambo54
Karl Haushofer
Kimppis
MilitaryAttractions
Firebird
onwiththewar
A Different Voice
VladimirSahin
Project Canada
storm333
The Ottoman
ult
Odin of Ossetia
Neutrality
Airbornewolf
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
auslander
Isos
cochiloco
KoTeMoRe
73 posters

Syrian War: News #12

franco
    franco

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 27 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #12

Post  franco Tue May 02, 2017 1:24 pm

JohninMK wrote:I wonder if they would be doing this in an area with a Kurdish population? Good way to win friends.

Ivan Sidorenko‏ @IvanSidorenko1 11h11 hours ago

#Syria Video Showing #Kurds #Kurdish #Kurd #TwitterKurds  Militias in #Raqqa Countryside going into civilian houses looking to loot/steal.

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 27 859181266977116160

That far south would be Arab population, not winning the hearts there.
    starman
    starman

Post  starman Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 pm

PapaDragon wrote:I doubt that Russia cares that much about Golan heights. And let's be real here for a second, it is just empty wasteland on the opposite side of where points of Russian interest lie.

Returning to status ante bellum is what they would be going for. They have been successful so far because they avoided local nonsense like this so I doubt they will be changing approach that works.

Russia may not care about the Golan itself but if/when Assad prevails, Syria will care, and Russia will have to do something to help Syria regain it if it expects top maintain its influence and presence in Syria. There has been talk of Iran and Hez trying to get territory near Golan for the purpose of eventually confronting Israel. So while the principal focus remains the civil war, one can reasonably anticipate a future confrontation over Golan.
    starman
    starman

Post  starman Tue May 02, 2017 2:16 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Russia in it's current form did not exist back when Golan got occupied.

It's really cure how you think that 50 year old local issue has any effect on Russian military strategy in current day war.

Russia may not be the USSR but in recent years it has tried to reassert itself as a major power. Of course Golan is irrelevant to the current civil war but (again assuming Assad and his allies win the internal struggle) the future could be very different.
    MMBR
    MMBR

Post  MMBR Tue May 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Israel is supporting isis in south syria to keep iran proxy forces away from golan so it cannot be used to launch missiles at israel, its why israel keeps messing up assads offensives to take it back

Best to leave south lebanon to saa and 5th corps rather than let hezbollah or shite militias take the lead there. That might cause israel to step up attacks and dirsupt south syria front.

Dont forget after the war is over assad will have his hands full with trying to reign in all the militias - besides saa which is not fully reliable to be loyal apart from republican guard and a few choice formations he will have to deal with criminals running the sdf, foreign shite militas he doesn't control, local shite militias he doesn't control etc. 

Trying to keep control over his own territory will be tough...much potential for there to be a mini lebanese civil war type scenario within "useful syria" after the war once the common enemy unifying them all is defeated. This could go on for much longer and get alot uglier.

First priority will be him securing his own existance and control over "useful syria" once its carved out of this mess. Hopefully iran and russia agree assad still useful and should be in power - would avoid alot of blood shed between potential longer time allies. Israel would love to see them turn on each other

Assad and useful syria got bigger problems than who owns golan. That can go on the back burner for a long time to come...unless iran and co. Feel like now is the right time to pick a war with israel... not in their interest - unless they imagine they can draw israel into a quagmire in syria... again i dont see it happening.

So no, not for a long time will anyone worry about golan. More important stuff to attend to: carve out useful syria, solidify assad control of it over potential foreign powers picks to run the country, cut back to size hero generals from war who might have ambitions to rule, figure out how to rebuild economy and pay off war debts etc etc

Anyone seen any follow up on that supposed 50 000 man formation of usa coming in from jordan or was that just internet rumor? Any idea if a blocking force is being prepared to cut off syria and iraq? I read a few weeks ago iraq premier said that after mosul with syria permission iraq forces will push on to syria to kick some wuhabi ass

Would be fun to see all the armies and militias from iraq, syria and lebanon team up to go toe to toe with israel or duke it out with the kurds. But i think that kind of stuff is the stuff of fiction and not this forum
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Tue May 02, 2017 2:52 pm

The Golan is very relevant in this war. In fact all the Israeli strategy for Syria is related with the Golan. As it is possible to see in the links of the previous page Israel want:

- International recognition for its domination of the Golan.
    - To create a new buffer zone in the South of Syria to make safer its position in the Golan. The Golan itself has been until now a buffer zone to make safer the previous territory of Israel.

And the US of Trump seems to go by the same line.

This is key for the right understanding of this war, and more concretely, for a right understanding of the South frontline of this war. Some examples:

- Is not right to consider isolate pockets the rebel dominated zones in the border with the Golan, despite to be not in contact with other rebel zones. They have important land supply lines.
    - Is not righ to consider out of the frontline (safe), the zones dominated by the gouvernment of Syria that reach the borders of the Golan.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue May 02, 2017 3:49 pm

starman wrote:..,.....

Russia may not care about the Golan itself but if/when Assad prevails, Syria will care, and Russia will have to do something to help Syria regain it if it expects top maintain its influence and presence in Syria. There has been talk of Iran and Hez trying to get territory near Golan for the purpose of eventually confronting Israel. So while the principal focus remains the civil war, one can reasonably anticipate a future confrontation over Golan.

I am sure that Syria cares and also that, if left unsupervised, Syria will try to do something about Golan (especially if idiots from Iran get to have any input)

In am however also sure that Russia has a big bag of popcorn ready for that moment because they couldn't care less about some idiots going on suicide mission on the opposite end of the country where they are parked in a sh*thole that nobody with more than two braincells gives a crap about.

Once this war is over it will be quite a dull period for Russian Military in Syria and this light viewing entertainment will be more than welcome distraction.
    starman
    starman

Post  starman Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm

MonkeymodelBananaRepublic wrote:
    Israel is supporting isis in south syria

The media doesn't focus on this much...wonder why... Rolling Eyes

Assad and useful syria got bigger problems than who owns golan. That can go on the back burner for a long time to come..

So no, not for a long time will anyone worry about golan. More important stuff to attend to: carve out useful syria, solidify assad control of it over potential foreign powers picks to run the country, cut back to size hero generals from war who might have ambitions to rule, figure out how to rebuild economy and pay off war debts etc etc

All very true. Regarding reconstruction, I heard the EU planned to help out.
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 pm

US-BACKED FORCES CAPTURED TABQA TOWN. PART OF TABQA DAM IS STILL CONTROLLED BY ISIS

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 27 115

The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces have reportedly recaptured the whole area of the Syrian city of Tabqa from ISIS terrorists.

According to pro-SDF sources, ISIS terrorists have withdrawn from the town to the ISIS-held part of the nearby Tabqa dam.

It’s unclear how many ISIS members remain besieged in the dam area.

In April 2017, pro-SDF and US sources argued that there were about 700-800 ISIS fighters inside the town. However, no photo or videos evidence were released that could confirm that this number of ISIS members were neutralized inside the town.

There is a notable chance that a majority of ISIS fighters has left the town of Tabqa via some kind of “open corridor”.

Source: Arrow https://southfront.org/us-backed-forces-captured-tabqa-town-part-of-tabqa-dam-is-still-controlled-by-isis/

YPG is now at the doorstep of the ISIS' capital. However, I've heard some rumors about that they have relocated their capital to Deir Ez-Zor. I hope that they are not true, 'cause if they are, SAA units fighting there will be screwed up big time.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue May 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Benya wrote:

YPG is now at the doorstep of the ISIS' capital. However, I've heard some rumours about that they have relocated their capital to Deir Ez-Zor. I hope that they are not true, 'cause if they are, SAA units fighting there will be screwed up big time.
    Yup, why would the leadership stay to defend a town that they knew was being encircled meaning almost certain death for them and their families? That is what 'followers' are for Very Happy

Deir was the obvious next step. I don't think it will be more of a problem than the SAA has been facing for years. The interesting question is where they will go next, and how will they get there.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Tue May 02, 2017 8:03 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    Benya wrote:

YPG is now at the doorstep of the ISIS' capital. However, I've heard some rumours about that they have relocated their capital to Deir Ez-Zor. I hope that they are not true, 'cause if they are, SAA units fighting there will be screwed up big time.
    Yup, why would the leadership stay to defend a town that they knew was being encircled meaning almost certain death for them and their families? That is what 'followers' are for Very Happy

Deir was the obvious next step. I don't think it will be more of a problem than the SAA has been facing for years. The interesting question is where they will go next, and how will they get there.

Looking at what happened in Taqba, the prospect to take Raqqa is very difficult. The Kurd troops are not moving fluently enough to take a city like this, and with the Turkish pressure I would be surprissed if they advance from the actual positions.
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 pm

eehnie wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    Benya wrote:

Looking at what happened in Taqba, the prospect to take Raqqa is very difficult. The Kurd troops are not moving fluently enough to take a city like this, and with the Turkish pressure I would be surprissed if they advance from the actual positions.

SDF has support of US SOF. They can see at night and pick off men from more than 1000 meters. SDF can take Raqqa city within a month.
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Tue May 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Maghwar al-Thawra (former New Syrian Army) captured huge areas of Syrian Desert from ISIS
    Syrian War: News #12 - Page 27 C-1lDJRXcAAFWw-
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Tue May 02, 2017 8:22 pm

calm wrote:Maghwar al-Thawra (former New Syrian Army) captured huge areas of Syrian Desert from ISIS
    Syrian War: News #12 - Page 27 C-1lDJRXcAAFWw-

It looks like they are going to seal the border and put US soldiers there to prevent SAA taking the border.
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Tue May 02, 2017 8:35 pm

they tried the same stuff last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Abu_Kamal_offensive
    https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2016/07/31/the-battle-of-al-bukamal-narratives-reality-and-open-source-investigation/

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 pm

calm wrote:they tried the same stuff last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Abu_Kamal_offensive
    https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2016/07/31/the-battle-of-al-bukamal-narratives-reality-and-open-source-investigation/

Kill the FSA, move up to the border and take selfies with US troops.

Do they really think that once DeZ is cleared SAA will not be coming for them down south?

And I like how they use phrase 'captured' without quotations. I am sure ISIS was totally putting up the fight.

Jordanian Inbred in charge still has delusions of grandeur. Funny guys down south...
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Tue May 02, 2017 9:09 pm

ultimatewarrior wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    Benya wrote:

SDF has support of US SOF. They can see at night and pick off men from more than 1000 meters. SDF can take Raqqa city within a month.

You are saying that SDF will need less time to capture Raqqa than to capture Taqba. Sure?
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Tue May 02, 2017 11:09 pm

eehnie wrote:
    ultimatewarrior wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    Benya wrote:

You are saying that SDF will need less time to capture Raqqa than to capture Taqba. Sure?

It depends on how much SOF support they get from the US. The US vanmoosed Iraq in a matter of weeks suffering just about 0 casualty. Do not expect IS to pose a challenge to US SOF.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 am

ultimatewarrior wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    ultimatewarrior wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    Benya wrote:

It depends on how much SOF support they get from the US. The US vanmoosed Iraq in a matter of weeks suffering just about 0 casualty. Do not expect IS to pose a challenge to US SOF.

With the current support you see the result in Taqba. To increase its support the US must increase its presence, on air and on land.

Obviously the US is leaving Iraq and moving to Syria, but the amount of troops involved is low. Not enough for what you said.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed May 03, 2017 12:50 am

24 Resistance Axis‏ @Syria_Hezb_Iran 1h1 hour ago

E #Ghouta opposition map:
    Blue: J. al-Islam
    Yellow: F. Rahman
    Black: HTS
    Rose: A. al-Sham
    Orange: F. al-Ummah
    Brown: 1st Liwa
    Purple: Majd pic.twitter.com/QribM1M3h3

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 27 C-2VmYUWAAEiazp
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed May 03, 2017 1:08 am

Syrian grain ship running empty to Russia

[i]Yörük Işık‏Verified account @YorukIsik 18m18 minutes ago

#Syria Government's SYRIAMAR Syrian General Authority for Maritime Transport bulk carrier Finikia transits Bosphorus towards BlackSea

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 27 C-2lLtWXcAEkudc
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed May 03, 2017 1:14 am

RIP

Ivan Sidorenko Retweeted
    Syria frontlines‏ @SyriaWarReports 3h3 hours ago

+Russian military adviser Lt. colonel Alexey Buchelnikov shot dead in #Syria by terrorist sniper
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed May 03, 2017 3:02 am

JohninMK wrote:Syrian grain ship running empty to Russia

#Syria Government's SYRIAMAR Syrian General Authority for Maritime Transport bulk carrier Finikia transits Bosphorus towards BlackSea

Given the record grain harvest in Russia this year I'd say it's going in right direction.

Ironically, it is was poor grain harvest in Russia and that year's grain export ban that led to events that snowballed into Arab spring.

Lesson to be learned here is to never allow your food production capacity to lag behind your population size.

What pisses me off to no end is the fact that everyone has gotten so accustomed to news of Russian personnel getting killed every once in a while.

They have disproportionally high number of boots on the ground and are losing people lately for no good reason whatsoever. They should be pulling men back to Latakia and doubling down on airstrikes.

This is Iranian back yard and they are the ones who should be doing heavy lifting here. Instead they sit with their thumbs up their asses and expect to just swoop in once everything is over and assert influence.

Those assholes even want to setup naval base between Tartus and Latakia. They think it will keep them safe from Israel. Hopefully Russia will give IAF all clear signal to level those dicks at first available opportunity.

Honestly I can't wait for USA to storm into Iran and turn that rat's nest into another Somalia/Iraq/Yemen.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Wed May 03, 2017 4:06 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Syrian grain ship running empty to Russia

Given the record grain harvest in Russia this year I'd say it's going in right direction.

Ironically, it is was poor grain harvest in Russia and that year's grain export ban that led to events that snowballed into Arab spring.

Lesson to be learned here is to never allow your food production capacity to lag behind your population size.

What pisses me off to no end is the fact that everyone has gotten so accustomed to news of Russian personnel getting killed every once in a while.

They have disproportionally high number of boots on the ground and are losing people lately for no good reason whatsoever. They should be pulling men back to Latakia and doubling down on airstrikes.

This is Iranian back yard and they are the ones who should be doing heavy lifting here. Instead they sit with their thumbs up their asses and expect to just swoop in once everything is over and assert influence.

Those assholes even want to setup naval base between Tartus and Latakia. They think it will keep them safe from Israel. Hopefully Russia will give IAF all clear signal to level those dicks at first available opportunity.

Honestly I can't wait for USA to storm into Iran and turn that rat's nest into another Somalia/Iraq/Yemen.

Reaching troll level. Not a surprise after all.
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Wed May 03, 2017 4:37 am

If Putin is not careful, having too many Russian servicemen killed in Syria can be backlash of the Russian public against Putin. Putin's ceasefire is allowing terrorists in Syria to strengthen and multiply and the killing of Russian servicemen to increase in rate.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed May 03, 2017 7:03 am

I think some people forget that people die in war. And lets be real here, while Russia states it has roughly 4K personnel in Syria, they probably have more because of things such as: Training of troops, logistics, policing and as obvious from couple of other incidences - involved directly in fighting. When it gets to that, some will die unfortunately. Everyone knows this, on all ends, yet the support from back home in Russia in their operations in Syria is still predominantly for it. The Russian citizens are also aware of the consequences but they know they have to do it in order to help keep Syria alive as well as dealing with the Jihadi's that come from Russia.

The guy is a hero. He died doing what was needed and he took that risk, but paid the ultimate price. While I agree that Iran should be doing more, and that Russia shouldn't be on the front lines with the SAA, they decided to do so. The good thing is, the Russians are deemed as hero's in Syria, bringing a lot of benefit to Russia in the future, and even Iran views Russia in a very good light in their media and politics. Not to mention also brownie points from Egypt and Libya. I think they should be upping the airstrikes and staying back a bit. Maybe increase number of training facilities in the Latakia region to build more of these special forces units, and train in mechanized warfare. But the MoD knows for making sure operations are a success, they have to send their own in. I wouldn't want to be that person. But there are a lot of brave Russian's who are willing to do it. And I salute them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:51 am