Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+64
TMA1
Russian_Patriot_
Finty
UZB-76
Maximmmm
lancelot
Arrow
Tingsay
Kiko
The_Observer
owais.usmani
Backman
Tsavo Lion
dino00
Rodion_Romanovic
ult
Hole
LMFS
eehnie
AMCXXL
PapaDragon
Isos
T-47
marcellogo
Nasr Hosein
gaurav
Arctic_Fox
Mindstorm
Rmf
TheGeorgian
d_taddei2
miketheterrible
kvs
Singular_Transform
Boshoed
JohninMK
zg18
par far
Morpheus Eberhardt
GunshipDemocracy
franco
max steel
medo
victor1985
higurashihougi
Stealthflanker
Mike E
magnumcromagnon
Viktor
flamming_python
sepheronx
collegeboy16
KomissarBojanchev
Sujoy
George1
TR1
Flanky
Ogannisyan8887
Austin
GarryB
rkt86
Russian Patriot
Sukhoi37_Terminator
Admin
68 posters

Military Aviation Industry: News

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Military Aviation Industry: News - Page 15 Empty Re: Military Aviation Industry: News

Post  PapaDragon Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:42 pm

Arrow wrote:The MiG 41 is reportedly in its early design phase. It would be a huge shock if they presented a prototype this year. Same for LMFS and Slon.

Nobody is expecting a real thing

Scale model or mockup
    Arrow

Military Aviation Industry: News - Page 15 Empty Re: Military Aviation Industry: News

Post  Arrow Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:17 pm

The model is no surprise.
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:01 pm

Arrow wrote:The model is no surprise.

Yes it would be. We have zero idea what the Pak Da or the Mig 41 will look like. A scale model would be money.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 am

Nobody is expecting a fully serial ready for mass production aircraft... they are saying is that they will reveal something official.. so it might be a model or it might be a chart or drawing, but the design or drawing will be official rather than just an artists impression of what it could be.

In other words this is the plan for what it will look like and probably a chart showing expected performance and perhaps even potential weapons it might carry...
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:10 am

I thought the first two PAK DA prototypes were supposed to have started construction last year? So, it is not impossible one of them will fly this year.

Perhaps Tu-160M2 also a possibility? It was supposed to fly this year.

MiG-41 it is too soon I think. I also doubt they will show any models of the MiG-41 before the first prototype is ready.

We have already seen wind tunnel models of the Slon so that has a high enough possibility of being shown as a model.

I wish the Il-276 prototype was flying. But I have heard nothing about the PD-14M engines it is supposed to use being ready.
    It should not be too hard since the PD-14 is being produced in batches right now. But I would not be surprised if this still took another two years.
    Arrow

Post  Arrow Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:33 am

GarryB wrote:Nobody is expecting a fully serial ready for mass production aircraft....

It is not about a fully ready-made airframe, but a prototype. From a prototype to a fully ready-for-production aircraft, it takes many years, as in the case of the Su-57, over a decade. However, the modeler can always do it to themselves. It would be sensational to show a prototype, not a cardboard mock-up.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Perhaps Tu-160M2 also a possibility? It was supposed to fly this year.

MiG-41 it is too soon I think. I also doubt they will show any models of the MiG-41 before the first prototype is ready.

Note:

A fundamentally new aircraft will be presented at the MAKS-2021 air show

They said a fundamentally new aircraft will be presented... no mention of prototype or even a flight... it might be a photo or a chart or a model, but it has to be something we haven't seen before for it to be fundamentally new.

So I would say no to a Tu-160M2, or other upgraded version of an existing type.

We have already seen wind tunnel models of the Slon so that has a high enough possibility of being shown as a model.

We have seen wind tunnel models of that so it is really not a fundamentally new design.

I wish the Il-276 prototype was flying. But I have heard nothing about the PD-14M engines it is supposed to use being ready.

We have already seen models of it because it was suggested to India for joint production as a new transport to replace C-130 and An-12 type aircraft... MTA or something they called it.

The MiG-41 is possible, and I would say PAK DA is likely because they probably have a rather good idea of the layout for both by now... the latter more than the former.

It is not about a fully ready-made airframe, but a prototype. From a prototype to a fully ready-for-production aircraft, it takes many years, as in the case of the Su-57, over a decade. However, the modeler can always do it to themselves. It would be sensational to show a prototype, not a cardboard mock-up.

They wont show a prototype, it is more likely a scale model or perhaps just an image on chart with expected performance... attracting interest from foreign investors.

And because of that I suspect it might be the new LMFS looking for foreign money to boost the pot to develop it... we have seen the Tempest from Europe... the new LMFS is the Russian equivalent... imagine India and perhaps Turkey and Algeria and UAE getting involved with Russia for such a project... I am sure it would be vastly better than the F-35 promised to be and it would be something else that the F-35 was supposed to be and that is affordable.

Backman likes this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:37 pm

The newest Il-114 transport aircraft may become a military aircraft

The duration of the IL-114 flight exceeds eight hours, said the first deputy chairman of the Board of the Military-Industrial Commission of the Russian Federation Andrey Yelchaninov.

MOSCOW, April 13. /TASS/. The latest domestic turboprop transport aircraft IL-114-300 attracted the interest of the Russian military. This was announced on Tuesday in an interview."First Deputy Chairman of the Board of the Military-Industrial Commission (MIC) of the Russian Federation Andrey Yelchaninov.

"There is already interest from the military. It is due to the unique flight characteristics of this aircraft, " Yelchaninov said.

In his opinion, the flight duration of the IL-114, which exceeds eight hours, has become the main feature of the aircraft that interested the Ministry of Defense. "This is necessary for conducting various types of intelligence, relaying signals, and surveillance. A long stay in the air with minimal fuel consumption is a unique characteristic, " said the deputy chairman of the Board of the Military-Industrial Complex.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/11139517

dino00, PapaDragon and Hole like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 am

Il-114 would be excellent platform for light AWACS or EW plane

Just imagine the endurance with some extra fuel tanks Cool
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    Il-114 would be excellent platform for light AWACS or EW plane

Just imagine the endurance with some extra fuel tanks Cool

I think it was mentioned before to use it for naval patrol and ASW too, if I am not wrong...

PapaDragon likes this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:15 am

I think this aircraft is too lightweight to be much use in such a role. Closest aircraft to this would be the Saab 340 AEW&C.
    Even the Erieye uses a heavier aircraft platform than this.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:54 am

Or an inflight refuelling probe...

I think this aircraft is too lightweight to be much use in such a role. Closest aircraft to this would be the Saab 340 AEW&C.
    Even the Erieye uses a heavier aircraft platform than this.

The difference would be that this aircraft wont be the only aircraft they use in the role... there will be heavier aircraft doing something similar too.

For AEW or AWACS I would like to see an aircraft with more installed power that could be used on an aircraft carrier and I think the Il-114 is probably too small and light for that...

MTOW 23 tons, compared with Yak-44 at about 40 tons, which is probably a bit heavy.

For coastal patrol and anti smuggling roles it could easily replace the An-72 with rocket pods under the wings and gun pods near the wheel bays, and bombs dropped out the rear... Il-114P maybe.

A SAR model would be useful too...
    Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:54 pm

PD-8 design and development is slowly coming along: https://www.uecrus.com/rus/presscenter/odk_news/?ELEMENT_ID=3399
    The core of the engine has been produced in a few trial units.

dino00, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza and lancelot like this post

UZB-76

Post  UZB-76 Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 pm

Maximmmm wrote:PD-8 design and development is slowly coming along: https://www.uecrus.com/rus/presscenter/odk_news/?ELEMENT_ID=3399
    The core of the engine has been produced in a few trial units.
    A good replacement engine for Be-200 and superjets

lancelot likes this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 am

We can probably eliminate the LMFS fighter from the MAKS unveal sweepstakes. They still aren't sure if it's going to be 1 engine or 2.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am

It will be Yak-40 with superconducting electric engine, it was said some days ago

kvs likes this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:01 pm

LMFS wrote:It will be Yak-40 with superconducting electric engine, it was said some days ago

I'm gonna hold out hope that it is more than a        
    re engined Yak 40. Maybe there will be that and something else
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 pm

LMFS wrote:It will be Yak-40 with superconducting electric engine, it was said some days ago

It would be lamest most anticlimactic bullshit ever by far

All that fanfare over some reengined crap? At least try putting it on something non-Soviet

LMFS and Backman like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:09 pm

A fundamentally new aircraft will be presented at the MAKS-2021 air show

Rostec will present a "fundamentally new aircraft" at the MAKS-2021 air show in July.

"We want to present as clearly as possible all the achievements of Russia in both military and civil aircraft construction, including promising models of aircraft, helicopters, engines and other components, advanced onboard systems. New products are also planned, in particular, we will show a fundamentally new aircraft for the first time, " Rostec noted.

Products in plural. The re-engined Yak 40 might be one of those products. It cant be the fundamentally new aircraft. If so, it would be ridiculous comedy gold. lol1

There was already a Yak 40 unveal. It was in 1967 Very Happy

LMFS likes this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 pm

Old news. But. Yak-40 with composite wing and two Garrett TFE731 turbofan engines.

This has almost half the fuel consumption, 700 kph instead of 500 kph top speed (35% faster), the wing costs half the price to build.

If Russian engine was required the Al-222 engine used in the Yak-130 has similar thrust level.

Military Aviation Industry: News - Page 15 PC044436

http://aviapressphoto.com/en/4396/
    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/87049/
    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/121561/

dino00 likes this post

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:25 pm

You guys have no idea what your talking about, the development of electric engines is orders of magnitude more important than the LMFS/LMFI program. The proliferation of mature electric engine technology could massively increase the range of every subsonic aircraft available, upwards of 4x and that doesn't even factor in the increased energy storage density of graphene batteries being developed down the line, which would also subsequently further increase the range significantly.

GarryB likes this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:58 pm

I would enjoy more a new fighter indeed, but magnumcromagnon is right in that the first plane worldwide with superconducting engine is not a small thing...

Big_Gazza likes this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:54 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:You guys have no idea what your talking about, the development of electric engines is orders of magnitude more important than the LMFS/LMFI program. The proliferation of mature electric engine technology could massively increase the range of every subsonic aircraft available, upwards of 4x and that doesn't even factor in the increased energy storage density of graphene batteries being developed down the line, which would also subsequently further increase the range significantly.

Not all of us are into green tech. The Yak 40 kicks ass and seeing an electrified one would be great.

But comparing that to the Pak Da ? Probably the only new Russian bomber we will see in our lifetimes ? Common.

GarryB, PapaDragon, Maximmmm and UZB-76 like this post

Finty
    Finty

Post  Finty Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:32 pm

Not sure if this article has been shared already here but I have seen the subject mentioned on another thread which I’ve forgotten.

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/29666/Sukhoi_Starts_Work_on_New_Single_Engine_Stealth_Fighter#.YLfbSfd4WEd

Russian company Sukhoi is developing a light next-generation single-engine stealth fighter jet.

"The Sukhoi company is developing a single-engine light tactical plane with the take-off weight of up to 18 tonnes. The plane’s maximum speed will be above 2 Mach. It will also have super-manoeuvrability and improved take-off and landing performance, thanks to a thrust vector control engine. The plane’s thrust-to-weight ratio will be above 1," an aircraft industry source was quoted as saying by government-owned TASS news agency.

The U.S. inducted its first dedicated stealth air superiority fighter, the F-22, almost two decades ago. It has not only commissioned its first single-engine stealth fighter, the F-35, but has also exported the aircraft to numerous allies.

Meanwhile, the Su-57 twin-engine jet is Russia's only stealth fighter to date. It joined service only in December 2020. Russia is yet to find a customer for the Su-27 jet. Potential buyers of the aircraft are Turkey and Algeria.

An aircraft with thrust-to-weight ratio that is greater than 1 has a thrust greater than its weight, which means it can continue accelerating while climbing vertically. A high thrust-to-weight ratio confers significant advantages in aerial combat and also helps in evading surface-launched anti-aircraft missiles.

Russia's Sputnik reported the company had started work on the lightweight stealth jet "on its own initiative". "During the creation of the aircraft, it is planned to widely use the groundwork developed in the framework of the creation of the Su-57, including the state-of-the-art Product 30 engine, radio-absorbing coatings, on-board radio-electronic equipment, a weapon system," Sputnik quoted a source as saying.

In December 2020, Rostec, the holding company of most of Russia’s Aerospace enterprises, claimed work had started on a new single-engine lightweight "combat aviation system" in both manned and unmanned versions. It is reportedly being developed primarily for the purpose for exports, although Russia's military could also purchase it.

"Indeed, the creation of a combat aviation system of the future in the light and middle class is being worked out. According to the plan, it can be a universal platform, in manned and unmanned versions. The concept and tactical and technical requirements for such a complex are being worked out," Sergei Chemezov, CEO of Rostec Corporation, said.

In March this year, Rostec said it will unveil a new aircraft in July during a MAKS-2021 air show.

Russia is also developing another new aircraft, dubbed MiG-XX. The new tactical aviation platform could complement Russia’s Su-57 stealth jet. Russian industry sources had told Defenseword.net during the MAKS-2019 event that development of a light fighter was on the table. This aircraft will borrow certain characteristics of the Su-57 such as an internal weapons bay, lightweight materials and stealth characteristics. Its engine would be more powerful than seen on the MiG-35.

Big_Gazza, PapaDragon and lancelot like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:39 pm

UAC has joined several manufacturers of transport aircraft to PJSC "IL"

The United Aircraft Corporation (PJSC UAC, part of the Rostec State Corporation) continues to centralize the management of the corporation's enterprises. Thus, the following enterprises of the division will be merged with the parent company of the UAC transport aviation division - PJSC Il - and will continue their activities as branches: JSC Aviastar-SP, PJSC VASO, JSC EMZ im. V.M. Myasishchev ". In turn, earlier the powers of the sole executive body (IO) in relation to PJSC "IL" were transferred to the UAC.

The centralization of management of UAC enterprises is carried out in order to eliminate duplicate administrative functions, reduce costs, create general corporate centers of competence and service, expand cooperation of production sites for more efficient implementation of aircraft-building programs. At the same time, reputable design schools will continue to develop.

“The consolidation of the enterprises of the transport aviation division will bring significant managerial and economic results,” said Sergei Yarkovoy, First Deputy General Director of PJSC UAC, Managing Director of PJSC Il. - Reorganization into a single company will make it possible to more efficiently build the aircraft program management process. At the same time, the main directions of design and production activities of the merged enterprises, their traditional competencies, as well as social guarantees for employees will be preserved. "

As part of the corporate transformation, the UAC has already transferred the functions of the EIO to the head company of the military aviation division of PJSC Sukhoi Company and the center of the strategic aviation division of Tupolev PJSC.

https://uacrussia.ru/ru/press-center/news/oak-obedinyaet-predpriyatiya-diviziona-transportnoy-aviatsii

George1, lancelot and Finty like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:07 am