Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+55
Kiko
Russian_Patriot_
thegopnik
Isos
The-thing-next-door
PapaDragon
AlfaT8
Hole
ZoA
miketheterrible
jhelb
Benya
Arctic_Fox
GunshipDemocracy
Acheron
iraqidabab
Kyo
KoTeMoRe
collegeboy16
VladimirSahin
Morpheus Eberhardt
victor1985
flamming_python
Vann7
kvs
sepheronx
Werewolf
Mike E
par far
im42
Admin
magnumcromagnon
Asf
Cpt Caz
Viktor
Mindstorm
SWAT Pointman
Zivo
Regular
TR1
KomissarBojanchev
medo
George1
Mr.Kalishnikov47
TheArmenian
Russian Patriot
Cyberspec
coolieno99
franco
Flanky
Pervius
NationalRus
ak74m
GarryB
Austin
59 posters

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 Empty Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

Post  GarryB Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:15 am

Why do you think the Russians would not be able to develop uniforms and equipment to operate in a Russian winter?

They have one every year, and it is an environment they have a lot of experience operating in....
    TR1
    TR1

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 Empty Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

Post  TR1 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:57 am

Russian winter depends on WHERE in Russia you are as well.

Some parts are not nearly as severe.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 am

Of course in certain places it doesn't matter what you wear you need to find shelter or you will die, but that is part of training too... and having the wits to realise you are in trouble and need to dig a snow cave will be part of the training too.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:13 am

Zivo wrote:
    It would make even Russian winter like a walk in a park.

You must be trolling... I don't believe that for a second.
    Not at all. Ask anyone from Siberian village. People do their chores from early morning to evening and it's natural to them. With good clothing operating in -30 C is better than in autumn with freezing rains that eventually go through all your layers, and mud is far worse than snow when it comes to marsh brosok. There is more chance of getting sick and be put out of action in autumn than in winter too.
    I didn't have luxury of good winter uniform and had to rely on my mother knitting skills. There is no cold weather- it's bad clothing.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:40 am

GarryB wrote:Why do you think the Russians would not be able to develop uniforms and equipment to operate in a Russian winter?

They have one every year, and it is an environment they have a lot of experience operating in....
    It's not only about developing, but about introducing it to the army. And the fact is that is situation now is pretty grim. Russian companies like splav used to have good winter clothing if I remember correctly.
    There are always scandals about soldiers freezing in their barracks and field, getting freezbites, being put in the hospital because of pneumonia or even dieing. It happens every year after SU collapsed. Almost nothing is being done only recently Shoigu fired big 'shishka' because of neglect.
    It makes army look incompetent of taking care of their manpower. You can say whatever about Russian media, but even state owned news will be first to show it on news, no wonder army is definetly not the most popular choice.
    In 2010 they blamed new uniforms, but it's 2013 and even this year srochniki died in Moscow region.

Last edited by Regular on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:09 am

TR1 wrote:Russian winter depends on WHERE in Russia you are as well.

Some parts are not nearly as severe.
    European Russia is a mixed bag of mild to strong winters.
    Term Russian winter became more like a myth. Hitler and Napoleon never experienced anything close to what people in Yakutia face every year.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 am

Hitler and Napoleon never experienced anything close to what people in Yakutia face every year.

Leaders rarely suffer what their pawns go through... Smile

The new super soldier kit should allow for operating in extreme conditions...
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:33 pm

GarryB wrote:Something also to keep in mind... what makes modern vests able to stop heavy rounds like rifle rounds is the hard armour plates... sometimes metal, sometimes ceramic... never cover everything.

Generally they will cover upper chest and rear chest.

A gut shot will not be stopped and nor will a shot from the side.

Let's not forget angled shot. And they are pretty common in urban fighting.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Russian small arms industry is catching up fast

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 2uhoaw4

http://vitalykuzmin.net/?q=node/530
    Cpt Caz
    Cpt Caz

Post  Cpt Caz Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:40 am

Viktor wrote:Russian small arms industry is catching up fast
    T-5000 is in my opinion the best precision rifle in the world, period. Alpha has already used it to win the Police and Military Sniper World Cup. Twice. In a row. russia 

Sweet paint job btw. Anybody know what scope that is?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 am

Looks like the Shahine Thermal Weapon Sight the VDV trialled a while back... from memory it could detect targets out to about 1,500m so it would be a useful addition to a sniper rifle as it can also see through smoke and camouflage...
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:32 am

Could it be this modified scope?
    http://www.cyclone-jsc.ru/index.php/ru/pritsely/13-produktsiya/pritsely/teplovizionnye-pritsely/6-teplovizionnyj-pritsel-shakhin.html
    It can detect targets up to 2200 metres.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 Empty Russian small arms industry is catching up fast

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 pm

It can detect targets up to 2200 metres.
    I remember reading one of its faults was it didn't calculate bullet drop, so the new models have this too.

ie aim at target and push button to lase target to get range.

small light/dot appears in the sight to show point of impact to that range with that calibre, so you adjust your aim so the dot is centred on the target and fire with good chance of hit.
    Asf

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 Empty Sniper PPSh

Post  Asf Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:46 am

Very Happy 
    Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 4406779

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:15 am

Can't see anything Sad .
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 pm

TR1 wrote:Can't see anything Sad .

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 4406779
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 am

Can't see anything either... did you use the image hosting feature of this website?
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:22 am

I can see it, PPSh with a scope.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Is it this photo:

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 Wx3hka10
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:36 pm

I couldn't see anything in Firefox.

in Torch there was a photo icon and when I right clicked on it it had a menu option to show it in a new tab.

When I chose that the tab address was http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/004406/thm/4406779.jpg

but the tab title was "403 forbidden".

If you want to post images on this forum please do not hotlink.

When you create a new reply or a new thread in the tool bars above the main text area there is an icon that looks like a photo with a small floppy disk in its lower right hand corner. It is to the right of what appears to be a photo with a white plus in its lower right hand corner.

Put your mouse arrow over it but don't press a button and the words "Host an Image" should appear.

If it says host an image then click on it and a popup box will appear.

Next to file is a button labelled choose file. Click that button and a dialog box will appear to search your hard drive for a file once you have found it, select it and click OK. Then click the host it button and it will work for a few seconds. It will then appear with three lines of code in their own text box. triple click on the centre line to highlight the entire line of code and right click and choose copy.

Then click in your message and choose paste. Then on the dialog box choose upload.

to get rid of the dialog box just click on the host an image icon again and it will disappear.

As an example I will post an image of a belt fed RPK-74 that was tested and rejected in favour of PKP.

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 79954010

If you can't tell by the thumbnail if the image is the one you want in the dialog box to search for the image to host, just right click and choose preview and you can examine all the photos in that folder with a large image.
    im42

Post  im42 Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Not sniper but rather early night fighting sight Wink
    par far

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units - Page 8 Empty New Sniper Rifles

Post  par far Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:47 pm

I wanted to get information on new Russian Sniper Rifles and how they compare to other countries(especially US). With the modernization plan, I think we will see new and improved sniper rifles from Russia. I think the Sniper Rifle is one of the most important weapons a solider can have on the battlefield because it can take out an and while western countries, have improved their Sniper rifles, Russia really has not done anything major their sniper rifles(until now).

Can you please provide information on the VKS sniper rifle and the Orsis t-5000 and other modern Russian Sniper rifles. Please provide pics and videos and information.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:59 am

AFAIK they have adopted a new calibre in the .338 Lapua Magnum round and they seem to have a choice of rifles they can adopt which use that round.

There is a variant of the SV-98 that uses the new calibre and is called SV-338.

There is a new version of the SVD too which appears to have a peep rear iron sight and built in bipod, and of course there is the VS-121 which is an improved bullpup version of the SVD (which is one of my favourite new weapons, though I don't know enough about it yet).

The VS-121 is in the standard calibre 7.62 x 54mmR, so it should be effective to a max of around 1,000m. It has a longer barrel and the barrel seems heavier too. The firing mechanism has reportedly been tweaked to improve accuracy and "feel" when using the trigger.

Of all the long range shooting competitions I have read about the Orsis rifles and the variants of the SV-98 seem to be very competitive with western rifles.

A lot of the criticism leveled at Soviet Sniper equipment tends to be based on the fact that it was generally optimised for the 600m to 800m range, unlike western snipers who seem to like to shoot from further away.

the new calibre (338 LM) should allow effective, accurate shooting at 1,500m and beyond, while 12.7mm rifles offer shooting at targets at extended ranges too.

I would love to see them develop a rifle like the South African anti material rifle that came in two calibres... 14.5 x 114mm and 20 x 99mm calibre. The 14.5mm round is high velocity and very potent out to ranges of 2.5km, while the slower heavier 20mm round offers better HE or HEI performance for soft targets.

A Russian version could be adapted to allow the use of the 14.5mm HMG round and the 23 x 115mm cannon rounds as both are currently in service rounds with the Russian Army. The 23mm round being a low recoil, low velocity round designed for light cannon to deliver a heavy HE payload to target at a high rate of fire with light compact ammo with low recoil...

The VKS is basically a step up from the VSS and its 9 x 39mm ammo to a level where targets with body armour can be engaged at extended ranges with a suppressed rifle. The 12.7 x 55mm rounds should be pretty hard hitting and come in subsonic and supersonic types. Even with supersonic ammo the VKS should be relatively quiet and a rather powerful package. It is designed for the FSB and AFAIK is not intended as an army weapon, though I am sure its makers would want to sell them to all branches of the Russian military.
    par far

Post  par far Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:01 pm

GarryB wrote:AFAIK they have adopted a new calibre in the .338 Lapua Magnum round and they seem to have a choice of rifles they can adopt which use that round.

There is a variant of the SV-98 that uses the new calibre and is called SV-338.

There is a new version of the SVD too which appears to have a peep rear iron sight and built in bipod, and of course there is the VS-121 which is an improved  bullpup version of the SVD (which is one of my favourite new weapons, though I don't know enough about it yet).

The VS-121 is in the standard calibre 7.62 x 54mmR, so it should be effective to a max of around 1,000m. It has a longer barrel and the barrel seems heavier too. The firing mechanism has reportedly been tweaked to improve accuracy and "feel" when using the trigger.

Of all the long range shooting competitions I have read about the Orsis rifles and the variants of the SV-98 seem to be very competitive with western rifles.

A lot of the criticism leveled at Soviet Sniper equipment tends to be based on the fact that it was generally optimised for the 600m to 800m range, unlike western snipers who seem to like to shoot from further away.

the new calibre (338 LM) should allow effective, accurate shooting at 1,500m and beyond, while 12.7mm rifles offer shooting at targets at extended ranges too.

I would love to see them develop a rifle like the South African anti material rifle that came in two calibres... 14.5 x 114mm and 20 x 99mm calibre. The 14.5mm round is high velocity and very potent out to ranges of 2.5km, while the slower heavier 20mm round offers better HE or HEI performance for soft targets.

A Russian version could be adapted to allow the use of the 14.5mm HMG round and the 23 x 115mm cannon rounds as both are currently in service rounds with the Russian Army. The 23mm round being a low recoil, low velocity round designed for light cannon to deliver a heavy HE payload to target at a high rate of fire with light compact ammo with low recoil...

The VKS is basically a step up from the VSS and its 9 x 39mm ammo to a level where targets with body armour can be engaged at extended ranges with a suppressed rifle. The 12.7 x 55mm rounds should be pretty hard hitting and come in subsonic and supersonic types. Even with supersonic ammo the VKS should be relatively quiet and a rather powerful package. It is designed for the FSB and AFAIK is not intended as an army weapon, though I am sure its makers would want to sell them to all branches of the Russian military.

Thanks for all the good information GarryB.

I have seen pictures of the Orsis T 5000, it has a silencer(in picture 1), does the Orsis T 5000 come with a silencer?

Picture 1

https://i.imgur.com/s4M5So4.jpg

The SVD-338- is that an .388 Laupa magnum rifle?

Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 pm

par far wrote:The SVD-338- is that an .388 Laupa magnum rifle?
    Yes, as the name suggests...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:33 am