Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+13
T-47
George1
coolieno99
franco
shrike06
Kyo
Cpt Caz
Cyberspec
Austin
AZZKIKR
TR1
GarryB
Mr.Kalishnikov47
17 posters

GRU Army Spetsnaz:

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty GRU Army Spetsnaz:

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:43 am

Hello everybody. A while back I read an article that discussed reforms being made to the special forces of the GRU. It stated that the Spetsnaz GRU would be transferred to the army and integrated into the normal ground forces. Does anybody have any information on how this is going or if it's been canceled? I honestly hope the people up top realize how big of a mistake they're making and cancel this thing before it's to late. As I am a new member I cannot post links so if anybody knows what article I am talking about and wants to post a link that would be greatly appreciated.  Very Happy
    GarryB
    GarryB

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty Re: GRU Army Spetsnaz:

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:21 am

http://russiandefpolicy.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/goodbye-gru-spetsnaz-hello-army-spetsnaz/

Is all I could find... can you post bits of a link to any other report (one that I can fill in the dots to make it work).
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:44 am

GarryB wrote:
    can you post bits of a link to any other report (one that I can fill in the dots to make it work).

That's just it, that seems to be the only information on the subject. This came up two years ago and I haven't seen anything else since. That's why I posted this thread was to find out if anybody else had found any further information on the subject.
    GarryB
    GarryB

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty GRU Army Spetsnaz:

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 pm

From what I have read I think the Spetsnaz have now been subordinated to the various military districts, but that the GRU is still responsible for training and equipping them.

The Military District commander now has control over all the forces in his district with the exception of Aerospace defence forces, and strategic rocket forces.

I guess the district commander having direct control of the recon units within his district makes sense...

to quote:

Spetsnaz has, Shlyakhturov admits, gone to the MDs, fleets, and VDV, but he says they’re still part of operational intelligence, and the GRU provides their doctrine, training, and equipment.

The GRU’s Smiling Face
    Posted on November 2, 2011
    TR1
    TR1

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty GRU Army Spetsnaz

Post  TR1 Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Some very interesting things:

1.) http://twower.livejournal.com/862741.html

Twower reports on the couple of Lynxes used by the 10th Spetsnaz Brigade.
    Key points from the report:
    -So far vehicles have been barely used/Legitimate offroad testing has not occurred in the brigade; this is both worrying, and makes firm conclusions hard
    -Acceleration is slow
    -Fenders seem poor for serious off-roading. Rubber is soft and wears away quickly on the tires.
    -The winch is better than the one on the Tigr.
    -Suspension is soft and comfortable
    -Soon the unit is planning to replace its Tigrs with Lynxes, so a more thorough set of conclusions can be made.
    -Seats are unmovable, so not good for long drives
    -AC works well
    -Rear hatch can only be opened by manually taking spare wheel off.
    -The Spetsnaz guys are not sure why the Tigr is being replaced with the Lynx. The Lynx does have the advantage of mine protection, an AC; but the Tigr has much better off-road qualities, as well as a much more spacious interior.
    -Twower mentions he does not see the vehicles interior as problematic for a command vehicle/utility, but for a Spetsnaz group ladden with equipment, the small usable interior space will be a problem.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty Russian Special Forces to Receive New Specially Modified Helicopters

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:39 am

http://izvestia.ru/news/543124

Russian special forces troops already in the coming year will be a helicopter with the latest navigation and attack systems that will significantly increase the power of the special forces. A source in the military-industrial complex (MIC) said "News" that at Ulan-Ude Aviation Plant (Republic of Buryatia) prepared design documentation and began delivery of equipment from manufacturers.

- His work Works completed on time and on time will present the car to the test - promised representative DIC.

"News" already wrote that the Defense Ministry has announced a tender for the development of the helicopter for Special Forces . At the end of last year, a plant in the capital of the Buryat specification approved by the customer. The new on-board put on the Mi-8AMTSh tested with so-called dolphin nose characteristic of the tab in the bow, where in conventional models mounted radar.

Navigation-shock system yet nameless and should get the name after the state tests. Manufacturers of its components have not been disclosed. Interlocutor "News" shared its basic performance characteristics.

The system includes an overview search station with heating and TV channels and radar for terrain following. Another station with TV and thermal channel and laser rangefinder serves aiming. Picture from the heat, television and radar images displayed on separate monitors for both pilots.

There is also a navigation system based on GLONASS and searchlight TSL-1600, working in the infrared range with illumination for night vision devices and a conventional optical special power.

Illuminator is designed to illuminate the battlefield or the air space in bad weather. According to the terms of reference, all equipment must be compatible cockpit with night vision goggles, which rely on a complete crew. That is, the pilot can see the readings, and a picture of a monitor via the general points that reproduce the image only in black and green.

- In the process of matching the specification was only one change - the requirements for the arming of the helicopter. Originally it was planned to install anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), but the producers rests on the fact that they have to put a separate sighting system, wiring and power cables, and no matter spetsnaz helicopter combat armored vehicles, as army aviation. It was therefore decided to retain only rockets and machine guns at the door and on the ramp - told the "News" at the Ulan-Ude aviation plant.

In total, there are four new complex multi monitor, two for the pilot. Everyone sees the same image display with a survey station and terrain following radar, the second - a panoramic view of the helicopter from the top, as in modern automotive systems around view.

In doing that, the system of so-called Glass-Sockpit in which ordinary pointer instruments are kept to a minimum, and all flight parameters, searching for targets and guidance are displayed as in computer games. This makes it possible to fly in any weather and time of day without visual observation.

According to "Izvestia", only to be ordered no more than 20 wonderful machines. They are designed for getting to and evacuation of special forces behind enemy lines and the need fire support. The tests are scheduled at the range of 929-State Flight Test Center (GLIC) in the suburban Chkalovsk.

However, the Defense Ministry wary about the timing of purchases of serial models.

- It is remarkable that the producers in Ulan-Ude are optimistic about the near future. But the navigation and attack systems while only in drawings. Although the Mi-8 reliable and seasoned time, there are certain issues to its electronics. But I will not deny that the spetsnaz helicopter is very necessary in the Caucasus, - said, "Izvestia", the representative of the military department.

According to an independent military expert, one of the authors of the book "The New Russian Army" - Anton Lavrov, the Russian Air Force used the world experience.

- In the West, there has long been the helicopters for special forces - for example, an American family of MH-60 BlackHawk, French Ec-725 Saracal. The whole world experience shows that nighttime operations give technical superiority of the Party over the less prepared opponent and solve complex tactical tasks with minimal losses - said he was "news."

According to the expert, the new Special Forces helicopters will be widely used in the Caucasus, where the mountains, woodlands and frequent bad weather, especially in winter. The presence of the survey and targeted multichannel stations will detect and eliminate militant bases in disguise.

(Translated using Google Translate)

This is a great step forward for the special forces fighting in the North Caucasus. I personally approve of anything that makes it easier for the Russians to exterminate those scum.

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 am

Systemic fighting of corruption would probably do a hell of a lot more, but I won't get into that Wink .

One big fly sticks out in these news: Ivstestiyaaaaaaaaa
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 am

TR1 wrote:One big fly sticks out in these news: Ivstestiyaaaaaaaaa

Shoot, it is them isn't it? I guess I'll wait for confirmation from a more reputable source before getting excited.

I hope it turns out to be true though. The new helicopters would greatly increase the night fighting capabilities of the special forces over there.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 am

The report might be referring to this:

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Th_826821361_x_1_122_338lo GRU Army Spetsnaz: Th_826828734_x_2_122_136lo

or this...

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Th_825227352_Antares1_122_369lo GRU Army Spetsnaz: Th_825230132_Antares2_122_210lo GRU Army Spetsnaz: Th_588252345_Antares3_122_179loGRU Army Spetsnaz: Th_825237150_Antares_x_122_325lo

In 2012 there was a report about the commandoes from the Senezh centre receiving heavily modified Mi-8's
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty Russian Special Forces to Receive New Specially Modified Helicopters

Post  Cyberspec Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 am

Yeah I think they fall under GRU command and I'd be surprised if they didn't do tours in the N. Caucasus
    AZZKIKR
    AZZKIKR

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty Vostok and Zapa, an interesting read

Post  AZZKIKR Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:38 pm

http://de.mvd.ru/smi/81/171/173/245/?print

Thought you guys might like this. Though does anybody know about how they performed in the Georgian conflict?

As well as the other GRU commandoes?
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:42 pm

They were 2 Chechen battalions who were under GRU command. AFAIK, the Vostok (East) battalion played a prominent role on the S. Ossetian front during the 2008 war.

Later on, they were disbanded because their commanders were rivals and fell out with Kadyrov. The Vostok commanders were both assassinated in one of those inter Chechen fights.
    AZZKIKR
    AZZKIKR

Post  AZZKIKR Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Yep, the only survivor being kakiyev. But I've read about a reporter who was attached with one of the commando divisions, with essentially saying that they were brutally effective. Though, does anybody know about how the other Spetsnaz GRU divisions did in the Georgian war? Since most sources mentioned only the Vostok and zapad involvement.
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

Spetsnaz 2: Special operations forces set for combat
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:56 am

Austin wrote:Spetsnaz 2: Special operations forces set for combat

Sounds like the return of Spetznas GRU russia 

Here's a TV report about them

Viktor wrote:What is interesting is that ballistic and winged missiles where delivered together Very Happy

Powerful pictures

Thanks Viktor
    Cpt Caz
    Cpt Caz

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty GRU Spetsanz

Post  Cpt Caz Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 am

Speaking of "Shaheen":

Russian Special Forces to Test New Thermal Scopes

MOSCOW, October 17 (RIA Novosti) – The Defense Ministry will start official tests of a new thermal vision scope as part of Russia’s futuristic combat kit later this month, the system’s developer said Thursday.

There are currently 160 prototype scopes at an army special forces (spetsnaz) facility near Moscow, said Oleg Yakovlev, advisor to the general director of the Tsiklon scientific research institute.

The scope, which can spot a target at a distance of 800-1,200 meters, is an essential component of the much touted cutting-edge Ratnik (Warrior) set and will cost around 1 million rubles ($30,000) per unit, he said.

Tests could last from several months to a year and a half, he added.
    “We hope the final state tests will be a success and Ratnik’s thermal imaging system will be adopted in 2014
    ,” Yakovlev said.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:09 am

"Thought you guys might like this. Though does anybody know about how they performed in the Georgian conflict?
    As well as the other GRU commandoes?"

In the post Georgian conflict review by the Russians, the GRU and Spetsnaz were sharply criticized as intelligence and reconnaissance were a major shortfall. Major changes were made afterwards until you get the "little green men" of Crimea. On the other hand, the unit of the 45th Airborne Recon operating out of Abkhazia performed with distinction conducting LR reconnaissance and raids including capturing some US troops.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 am

3rd Guards Spetsnaz Brigade on parade

GRU Army Spetsnaz: 3_brigada_specnaza

Light blue beret is also the beret of GRU Army Spetsnaz
    franco
    franco

GRU Army Spetsnaz: Empty 25th Spetsnaz Regiment

Post  franco Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:04 pm

This unit appeared in Stavropol prior to the Olympics, supposedly to provide SF support. From reading what little I have been able to find on them, beginning to wonder if they are not attached to the 322nd SOC. Perhaps the base for Operations in the Caucasus's. Anyone else have anything on this?
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm

franco wrote:This unit appeared in Stavropol prior to the Olympics, supposedly to provide SF support. From reading what little I have been able to find on them, beginning to wonder if they are not attached to the 322nd SOC. Perhaps the base for Operations in the Caucasus's. Anyone else have anything on this?

346th Spetsnaz Brigade was formed for Olympics, the unit in photo is 3rd spetsnaz brigade

https://burkonews.info/a-continue-about-aliens-also-called-separatists-the-346th-spetsnaz-brigade-gru/
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:27 pm

George1 wrote:
    franco wrote:This unit appeared in Stavropol prior to the Olympics, supposedly to provide SF support. From reading what little I have been able to find on them, beginning to wonder if they are not attached to the 322nd SOC. Perhaps the base for Operations in the Caucasus's. Anyone else have anything on this?

346th Spetsnaz Brigade was formed for Olympics, the unit in photo is 3rd spetsnaz brigade

https://burkonews.info/a-continue-about-aliens-also-called-separatists-the-346th-spetsnaz-brigade-gru/

And so was the 25th Regiment as mentioned in your article. The 346th seems to be your typical Spetsnaz brigade in role and structure. The 25th not so much. Very little info and of that was one ex-member describing them as the "best of the best".
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Gerasimov: Army Special Forces solved the problem in Crimea in 2014
    Kyo
    Kyo

Post  Kyo Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:28 pm

Spetsnaz training exercise:

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:33 pm

Russia's Special Forces Holding Airdrop Exercise With Terminators

GRU Army Spetsnaz: 1023617631

The military training are being held both during the day and at night, in various areas, including in remote forests and highlands.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Troops of special mission brigade units of the Russian Defense Ministry's Southern Military District in the Krasnodar Territory are practicing airdrop from Mi-8AMTSh Terminator armored assault helicopters, the district's press service said in a statement on Friday.

"In total, each soldier within a year of service is due to carry out over 15 [parachute] jumps in a range of heights from 600 meters [some 1,968 feet] to 800 meters at various sites as part of military training, including in difficult terrain," the statement reads.

According to the statement, the military training will be held both during the day and at night, in various areas, including in remote forests and highlands. Soldiers are due to take exercise on loading equipment and special cargo on board, as well as on mounting weapons and ammunition for landing of fully equipped personnel.

Prior to the exercise, the special forces were trained on the ground and at an airborne center to practice parachute rigging, as well as special exercises for safe landing.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160115/1033174190/terminator-spetsnaz-russia.html#ixzz3xK7n1sMc
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:23 am

Russian Special Forces Holding Airdrop Drills Using Terminators

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160405/1037491689/russian-spetsnaz-terminator-drills.html#ixzz44wFEAtqS

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am