Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+91
The-thing-next-door
mnztr
thegopnik
Dima
Rodion_Romanovic
owais.usmani
marat
Hole
slasher
Labrador
Isos
verkhoturye51
kumbor
Tingsay
GunshipDemocracy
PTURBG
Luq man
ZoA
Sailor
Tsavo Lion
Benya
T-47
miroslav
Rowdyhorse4
JohninMK
Big_Gazza
Singular_Transform
hoom
chicken
Arrow
franco
Kimppis
miketheterrible
Rmf
RTN
Flanky
KiloGolf
Svyatoslavich
TheRealist
Singular_trafo
SeigSoloyvov
x_54_u43
PapaDragon
George1
AlfaT8
jhelb
ExBeobachter1987
artjomh
max steel
rambo54
Honesroc
ult
Kyo
Vann7
kvs
higurashihougi
Vympel
Cyberspec
Werewolf
Mike E
dionis
KomissarBojanchev
zg18
xeno
navyfield
flamming_python
collegeboy16
magnumcromagnon
calripson
dino00
Morpheus Eberhardt
ali.a.r
CaptainPakistan
ricky123
Sujoy
KLEWANG
gaurav
GJ Flanker
TheArmenian
Mindstorm
TR1
ahmedfire
runaway
Austin
GarryB
Stealthflanker
sepheronx
Viktor
Russian Patriot
Vladislav
Admin
95 posters

Project 885: Yasen class

higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 Empty Re: Project 885: Yasen class

Post  higurashihougi Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:39 pm

Mike E wrote:BUT! Like always.... They quote the ONI's "not as quiet as the Virginia" claim. The West doesn't know how quiet the Yasen is,

Yasen is more noisy when it run with maximum speed. But the maximum speed of Yasen is much faster than Virginia.

If Yasen and Virginia are moving at the same speed, Yasen is much more quieter.

It is said that Yasen has a thick and complex rubber layer which mimics the skin of dolphin. When sound is absorbed, it does not resonance and causes whirls. Honestly, physics and dynamics is not my fields, but it is said that, the rubber layer is the reason why Yasen is quieter and faster although it is bigger and has weaker engine. (anyone can explain it to me ? Sad Sad )

In addition, when standing still, Yasen is also much quieter. The reason is that, in low speed and standing still mode, Yasen only uses small turbine and accumulator battery. Furthermore, Yasen is bigger, and uses weaker engine, therefore less heat is emitted and the heat is less concentrated.

So, saying "not as quiet as Viriginia" is very misleading.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Nobody knows the Yasen's noise.

End.
    Of.
    Story.

So stop with the comparisons please.

The US Navy has been making those noise predictions before the 885 was even launched, before it even did its trials. In other words, they pulled them out of thin air, or their backsides, whatever you prefer.

As to how quiet the Seawolf and Virginia are, they have been around for a while so presumably there is some data, but it is suspect how accurate and thorough it is, and once again, nobody online who knows would tell you.

Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 pm

higurashihougi wrote:
    Mike E wrote:BUT! Like always.... They quote the ONI's "not as quiet as the Virginia" claim. The West doesn't know how quiet the Yasen is,

Yasen is more noisy when it run with maximum speed. But the maximum speed of Yasen is much faster than Virginia.

If Yasen and Virginia are moving at the same speed, Yasen is much more quieter.

It is said that Yasen has a thick and complex rubber layer which mimics the skin of dolphin. When sound is absorbed, it does not resonance and causes whirls. Honestly, physics and dynamics is not my fields, but it is said that, the rubber layer is the reason why Yasen is quieter and faster although it is bigger and has weaker engine. (anyone can explain it to me ? Sad  Sad )

In addition, when standing still, Yasen is also much quieter. The reason is that, in low speed and standing still mode, Yasen only uses small turbine and accumulator battery. Furthermore, Yasen is bigger, and uses weaker engine, therefore less heat is emitted and the heat is less concentrated.

So, saying "not as quiet as Viriginia" is very misleading.
    The Virginia can go 35 knots from what I've heard, that would put it right around the Yasen... 

Like TR1 said, nobody knows how quiet these subs are... We can only guess (as we are doing now).

All modern submarines have "that", they are called anechoic tiles... The Yasen's tiles are improved over the ones on the Akula AFAIK, but I cannot confirm that. So that wouldn't be the reason the Yasen is "faster" (not by much" and "quieter (can't be confirmed). - The reason the displacement on the Yasen is so high, is not only because of its size, but also its hull. - It has a "hybrid" hull that is somewhere in between a double-hull and mono-hull. As a result, its displacement is higher, but the outer hull can be shaped more efficiently because it doesn't have to deal with pressure. - This could be wrong, to be honest I'm trying to remember this crap... If that is true, than that is why it is faster. 

The Virginia may have a mode like that, the Ohio does... - Literally I've found nothing that suggests it does, so take it with a grain of salt.

It is, but then again, we do not know...
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:11 am

I think all modern submarines have active noise suppression. Thanks to computers and the ability to model the whole submarine
    down to every part and its elastic properties they can simulate the noise emission and propagation. The submarine can act as
    a noise amplifier and this can be suppressed. This sort of ability did not exist back in the 1960 and I am quite sure that Americans
    got it first thanks to their better computer tech and CAD/CAM.

Using Soviet capabilities from the 1970s to evaluate modern Russian submarines is simply retarded (not aimed at people on this forum,
    of course). Russia has access to the necessary level of computing power and high level CAD/CAM software. As mentioned above
    Russia appears to have advanced the anechoic tile technology quite fare and is gaining performance due to fluid dynamical effects
    that were previously unknown or not exploited. This is more than likely thanks to the capacity to model these features a priori.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:51 am

Mike E wrote:

All modern submarines have "that", they are called anechoic tiles... The Yasen's tiles are improved over the ones on the Akula AFAIK, but I cannot confirm that. So that wouldn't be the reason the Yasen is "faster" (not by much" and "quieter (can't be confirmed). - The reason the displacement on the Yasen is so high, is not only because of its size, but also its hull. - It has a "hybrid" hull that is somewhere in between a double-hull and mono-hull. As a result, its displacement is higher, but the outer hull can be shaped more efficiently because it doesn't have to deal with pressure. - This could be wrong, to be honest I'm trying to remember this crap... If that is true, than that is why it is faster. 

The Virginia may have a mode like that, the Ohio does... - Literally I've found nothing that suggests it does, so take it with a grain of salt.

In more details, that's right, Yasen has two layers of cover, the outer's role is for hydrodynamic shape and the inner is for withstanding the pressure. The spaces between the covers is not equal, in some places the two layer of cover is stick together. The aim of the design is that to decrease the interior space, make the cover become more round, more cylindrical, better for withstanding the pressure.

Compared to German submarines, Russia used a inferior type of stainless, non-magnetized steel, but they applied a number of techs to get rid of excessive tension. For example the steel was cut inside water to reduce heat, then they partly assembled the parts and carried out the process of annealing to reduced excessive tension, and then they fully assembled all the parts toghether.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Strange that the USSR would not have the metallurgy level to do it the "German way". The USSR was the only country on the
    planet that had the ability to produce rocket engines with the oxygen routed through the pump turbine section straight into
    the nozzle to optimize efficiency. This required unique stainless steel alloys that could withstand the high temperature oxygen.
    Conventional rocket engines would simply burn up. The US did not even consider such technology as possible until they
    saw it with their own eyes in the early 1990s.

So there is nothing inferior here. The submarine metal is a design choice based on considerations that Joe Q Public has no
    clue about.
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:26 pm

In my view, if one asked me who's more silent between Yasen or Virginia.. I'll say both of them may have same level of silencing. How so ? Since 1980's or perhaps mid 1970's Soviet start emphsize more in their boat's silencing start from 671RTM and the research, hmm according to Norman Polmar's cold war submarine book is not affected by fall of Soviet, slow down maybe but by no means stopped.

There also law of diminishing return. Tom Stefanick's "Strategic Anti Submarine Warfare and Naval Strategy" Have a good review on Submarine silencing method and how to quantify them, it stated that US already achieved level of submarine silencing in Ohio class that so low that their own sonar technology can only detect it at around 1000 yards.  Any lower than that there would be no benefit in both financial and military respect. Thus it's unlikely that current latest US submarine would be more quiet than Ohio.

BTW this is a nice graph from Tom Stefanick's book about US Vs Soviet silencing.

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 Source_level_by_stealthflanker-d85kkn5

Anyway in 35 Knot.. forget about silencing as propellers and perhaps the submarine's own hull will cavitate, happily add lots of decibels to the submarine's acoustic signature. That applies to both Virginia and Yasen.
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Project 885 rescue capsule training

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:39 pm

photo of 885 without escape capsule

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 29Gz9mn
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 am

Interview with Malachite Chief

http://ria.ru/interview/20141215/1037925421.html
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Stealthflanker wrote:In my view, if one asked me who's more silent between Yasen or Virginia.. I'll say both of them may have same level of silencing. How so ? Since 1980's or perhaps mid 1970's Soviet start emphsize more in their boat's silencing start from 671RTM and the research, hmm according to Norman Polmar's cold war submarine book is not affected by fall of Soviet, slow down maybe but by no means stopped.

There also law of diminishing return. Tom Stefanick's "Strategic Anti Submarine Warfare and Naval Strategy" Have a good review on Submarine silencing method and how to quantify them, it stated that US already achieved level of submarine silencing in Ohio class that so low that their own sonar technology can only detect it at around 1000 yards.  Any lower than that there would be no benefit in both financial and military respect. Thus it's unlikely that current latest US submarine would be more quiet than Ohio.

Anyway in 35 Knot.. forget about silencing as propellers and perhaps the submarine's own hull will cavitate, happily add lots of decibels to the submarine's acoustic signature. That applies to both Virginia and Yasen.
    always wondered if it is possible to make a sort of destructive interference device to cancel out the noise. and sonar is just one channel, there's thermal, tv, radar, magnetic, sea level rise, and gravity - and the soviets and subsequently russians are investing in these means of detection, arguably more so than their western counterparts.
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:53 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:
    always wondered if it is possible to make a sort of destructive interference device to cancel out the noise. and sonar is just one channel, there's thermal, tv, radar, magnetic, sea level rise, and gravity - and the soviets and subsequently russians are investing in these means of detection, arguably more so than their western counterparts.

That could be possible if the noise's frequency and phase is exactly known. This work and probably already applied for engine room silencing for modern submarines along with usual machinery bed-plate for absorbing noise.

For non-acoustic means of detection such as Detection of submarine's surface wave and kelvin wave as well as thermal and other disturbances (say gravity) Unfortunately there aren't much info around. Nonetheless as far as i know, those disturbances are either too small to be resolvable by sensors or easily countered by the submarine going deeper.

Would love to see more in the subject though. Anyway i really reccommends that Tom Stefanick's book for reading.. Very enlightening.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:13 am

Stealthflanker wrote:In my view, if one asked me who's more silent between Yasen or Virginia.. I'll say both of them may have same level of silencing. How so ? Since 1980's or perhaps mid 1970's Soviet start emphsize more in their boat's silencing start from 671RTM and the research, hmm according to Norman Polmar's cold war submarine book is not affected by fall of Soviet, slow down maybe but by no means stopped.

BTW this is a nice graph from Tom Stefanick's book about US Vs Soviet silencing.

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 Source_level_by_stealthflanker-d85kkn5

Something you need to be aware. is that soviet navy ,just like Russian navy have do not use their best silent mode in peace times.. you don't show your enemies your best card before there is a war. So all that tables and charts..
    if ever are accurate.. which i doubt.. it will only show Russian submarine noise in peacetime.. not in war time..
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:32 am

It was one of the Cold War propaganda tropes. Like the one about Soviet ICBMs not being accurate. Anybody with a brain and
    a clue could see this as nothing more than trash talk. If you can inject satellites into specific orbits you can damned well hit some
    freaking target. As if Soviet gyroscopes did not follow the laws of physics that the American ones did. And atmospheric fluid dynamics
    had no impact in Yankee uber tech. What a joke!
    Kyo
    Kyo

Post  Kyo Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Russia's fifth Yasen-class nuclear sub to be laid down on March 19 — source

MOSCOW, February 6. /TASS/. The fifth Yasen-class multipurpose nuclear-powered submarine will be laid down at the Sevmash shipyard in Northwest Russia on March 19. It will be named Arkhangelsk, a Russian defense industry source told TASS on Friday.
    "The Yasen-class submarine that will be dubbed Arkhangelsk will be laid down at Sevmash on March 19," the source said.
    The head of the Sevmash shipyard in December told TASS that three Project 885M Yasen-class attack submarines and two Borei-class submarines will be laid down in 2015.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:15 am

Order for lighting conditions and target designation "3C-30" complexes for 5 885M project "Ash-M" nuclear multipurpose submarines.

Northern Machine Building Enterprise posted on the official website of the public procurement information on the award in 2014. contract with Concern "Granit-Electron" for the supply of five complexes "3C-30.0-M." Supplied products are radio-electronic integrated lighting system surveillance and target designation.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1211461.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:50 am

Russia begins construction of fifth Yasen class nuclear sub

Yasen-class subs will become the main multipurpose nuclear-powered submarines in the Russian military

ARKHANGELSK, March 19. /TASS/. The fifth nuclear-powered multipurpose attack submarine of the Yasen class will be laid down today at the Sevmash shipbuilding company based in Severodvinsk, the company’s press service told TASS on Thursday.

The submarine, dubbed the Arkhangelsk, was designed by the St. Petersburg-based Malakhit company with the employment of novel technical decisions, the press service said.

The first Yasen-class submarine, the Severodvinsk, was built at Sevmash and handed to the Russian Armed Forces in June 2014.

"Multipurpose nuclear-powered submarines - Kazan, Novosibirsk and Krasonyarsk - are under construction at the Severodvinsk shipyard in the framework of the upgraded Yasen-M project. The changes are connected with the element base of the electronic weapons system, modernized equipment and materials, which will be supplied exclusively by Russian produces," the press service noted.

According to Russia’s naval doctrine, Yasen-class subs will become the main multipurpose nuclear-powered submarines in the Russian military. Sevmash will build eight Yasen-class subs with cruise missiles by 2020.
    ult

Post  ult Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 ZbFGUm3
    Honesroc

Post  Honesroc Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:05 pm

Severodvinsk going in for repairs next month.

http://www.flotprom.ru/2015/188522/
    ult

Post  ult Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Honesroc wrote:Severodvinsk going in for repairs next month.

According to the people from the airbase forums - it's just a regular maintenance service.

Arkhangelsk's plate.

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 LZQdz
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Οnly after 1 year in service?
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 pm

[quote="ult"]
    Honesroc wrote:According to the people from the airbase forums - it's just a regular maintenance service.

Yes, after it passed successfully all max. deep sea tests

2015Submarine "Severodvinsk" was successfully tested
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:07 am

George1 wrote:

Οnly after 1 year in service?

Just some small work apparently.

It is an experimental boat in any case, hardly a serial unit.
    rambo54

Post  rambo54 Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Meanwhile we have a lot of satellite images of K-329 seeing her at Severodvinsk and Murmansk.
    If you are using the ruler in google earth you can easily verify that the length of the ship is significant longer than the official 119m.
    In fact the boat is 136-140m long. It seems that especially the section bow/sail and sail/missile hatches are longer than on drawings.
    Any ideas why we don't have an official statement/correction of these data?

Here are some examples

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 Subgraneylengp6hv7afyle

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 Graney140mjuy19nctmo

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 Graney140m272irxncg34

Project 885: Yasen class - Page 14 Graney140mavdhqx4kmng
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Thus ending all spekculation Very Happy

Russian Navy until 2020 received seven submarines of the "Ash"

No reductions are planned