Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+61
lancelot
andalusia
Ned86
Podlodka77
Navy fanboy
Krepost
Atmosphere
par far
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Scorpius
COMMANDER
zardof
magnumcromagnon
LMFS
Backman
hoom
writertlynn`
Peŕrier
Azi
Kimppis
franco
miroslav
SeigSoloyvov
DasVivo
tomazy
T-47
flamming_python
nastle77
PapaDragon
TheArmenian
AlfaT8
Benya
Tsavo Lion
Isos
GunshipDemocracy
Rodion_Romanovic
marat
KiloGolf
chinggis
max steel
slasher
artjomh
jhelb
Anas Ali
Naval Fan
Flyingdutchman
Diego-9
KomissarBojanchev
ali.a.r
Stealthflanker
johns624
medo
TR1
GarryB
George1
woogar
Austin
Admin
Viktor
nightcrawler
IronsightSniper
65 posters

Questions Thread: Russian Navy

GarryB
    GarryB

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 9 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

Post  GarryB Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:33 am

The Tango class SSK was a good boat, but the Kilo was smaller and lighter with comparable weapons but faster.... the Tango was a good upgrade from the Foxtrot it replaced... all three... Foxtrot, Tango, and Kilo are long range conventional subs, they were all very good for their time.

Being long range subs they were (foxtrot and kilo) or would have been (Tango) popular on the export market, but the Tango never really went on the export market.

They retired the last one in 2016 which is a good innings for such a vessel.

Their operational costs are much lower than for nuke powered boats and they were more used for ambush operations in shallower waters against western SSNs, which were bigger and more cumbersome in shallow waters.

History is about to repeat with the Improved Kilos (project 636 that already replaced the early model project 877 kilos) being replaced by Ladas (Project 677).
    Giulio
    Giulio

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 9 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

Post  Giulio Sat May 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

tanino likes this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat May 07, 2022 2:11 pm

Giulio wrote:Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

Correct! Just another Ukrainian victory using a video war game Rolling Eyes

GarryB and Big_Gazza like this post

auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Sun May 08, 2022 12:14 am

Giulio wrote:Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

Our son returned today. All is normal in Flot.

GarryB, franco, markgreven, Big_Gazza, tanino, GunshipDemocracy, owais.usmani and like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun May 08, 2022 12:29 am

auslander wrote:

Good to hear from you again old friend!

GarryB, Big_Gazza, auslander and GunshipDemocracy like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun May 08, 2022 1:44 am

auslander wrote:

Great news, and its nice to hear from you again! A few of us were getting a little concerned given you had gone black for awhile.

GarryB, franco, tanino and auslander like this post

auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Sun May 08, 2022 9:22 am

[quote="Big_Gazza"]
    auslander wrote:
    Great news, and its nice to hear from you again!  A few of us were getting a little concerned given you had gone black for awhile.

My friend, and all of you, for us it's been a fairly rough year. One month full lockdown quarantine in September of last year, no one allowed out or in until the full treatment protocol was completed and signed off with copies to us. Food sucked but one could 'order out' and Rusburger did a land office business at Hospital #12 and still does. Of course guards had to take the food parcels but they done good, Rusburger has been known to deliver at 03:00 if you wanted. After a few days locked in VCO and I got together with some others, four men or four women to a room, one of those locked down is an accountant, he set up a chart and payment schedule for anyone who wanted/needed food. Not everyone is as fortunate as my bride and I are so some of us quietly made sure anyone who wanted to order out could.

Inmate food? At the time we had six rather large dogs, massive collies 2.5 meters tip of nose to tip of tail. Took the last day's little plastic containers of food home with us and neither Old Ruslan (at the time 18 years), his son Aleksandr, blue Sophia and her black/white half sister and Aleksandr's wife Ella would touch it. Food caterer has changed dramatically once that little video went where it had to go. Kat things wouldn't go near it.

GarryB and Big_Gazza like this post

medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun May 08, 2022 12:09 pm

Arestovich confirm, that nothing happened to frigate Admiral Makarov...

franco, Big_Gazza, tanino and auslander like this post

andalusia

Post  andalusia Tue May 17, 2022 9:57 am

Have you guys heard of this US spy submarine Jimmy Carter?

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-navy-has-one-nuclear-spy-submarine-so-secret-we-know-24603

I hope Russia is investing in a lot of these submarines; I hope that Russia doesn't fall behind the US in this:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/11110/the-future-of-naval-warfare-will-have-a-lot-more-spy-submarines
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue May 17, 2022 12:51 pm

Most SSNs are spy submarines... and Russia has its fair share of "special subs" too.
    andalusia

Post  andalusia Sun May 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Should this concern Russia? https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/navys-85-foot-orca-unmanned-submarine-will-be-a-minelayer-first
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 30, 2022 4:20 am

Yes, but Russia has more minesweepers than most other navies... they take the threat very seriously...

In the past I would have said Russia wouldn't care much because even if Russia was totally land locked they would still function, whereas it is the US that is heavily reliant of sea lanes operating normally for commerce to continue and feed their economy.

Now that the west has rejected them and is openly promoting the murder of Russians, Russia has to look to the rest of the world for trade and allies, so moving forward investment and spending on naval equipment is going to become much more important to their economy and their future.

The thing is that in the 1980s the Soviets developed sea mine fuses that they could attach to conventional aircraft bombs, which could be carried by normal aircraft flown out to sea and dropped as mines... shallow waters and choke points you could fly a bomber like a Tu-22M3 through that could drop three or four 3,000kg FAB-3000s that would make a big splash and then sink to the bottom and then wait for ships or subs to sail past and boom... in very shallow waters they could use FAB-100, FAB-250, FAB-500, FAB-1500... they have a wide choice of conventional dumb bombs they could fit with a tail fuse with a MAD sensor or a noise sensor...

I would say Poseidon is more impressive to be honest... and who knows... they might have a version that drops small nuclear mines as it travels to spread the destruction around.
    Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 9 Empty Harmony seabed sonar system?

Post  Arkanghelsk Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:10 am

Idk where to ask this , so I put it here :

What is the status of the Harmony seabed sonar system?

This system is very important to track US and NATO submarines

GUGI missions involve laying these sensors, but has there been any confirmation that these sensors are working at the moment?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:40 am

Not sure anyone here would know and if they did I think I prefer they didn't say anyway....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 am