Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+60
andalusia
Ned86
Podlodka77
Navy fanboy
Krepost
Atmosphere
flamming_python
par far
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Scorpius
COMMANDER
zardof
magnumcromagnon
LMFS
Backman
hoom
writertlynn`
Peŕrier
Azi
Kimppis
franco
miroslav
SeigSoloyvov
DasVivo
tomazy
T-47
TheArmenian
AlfaT8
Benya
Tsavo Lion
Isos
nastle77
PapaDragon
GunshipDemocracy
Rodion_Romanovic
marat
KiloGolf
chinggis
max steel
slasher
artjomh
jhelb
Anas Ali
Naval Fan
Flyingdutchman
Diego-9
KomissarBojanchev
ali.a.r
Stealthflanker
johns624
medo
TR1
GarryB
George1
woogar
Austin
Admin
Viktor
nightcrawler
IronsightSniper
64 posters

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    avatar
    Ned86


    Posts : 63
    Points : 63
    Join date : 2016-04-04

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Russian state of the art torpedoes

    Post  Ned86 Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:03 pm

    It is not easy to find all info about state of the art torpedoes being used by Russian navy, but here is what I got.
    Russian navy currently uses two types of state of the art torpedoes, thermal and electric torpedoes.

    Thermal torpedoes (which use fuel as a propellant)  

    1. UGST (Fizik) in service since 2002

    Caliber, mm: 533.4
    Length, mm: 7200
    Weight, kg: 2200
    Warhead weight, kg: 300
    Speed, knots: 50
    Range, km: 50
    Depth, m: up to 500
    Firing depth from submarines, m: up to 400

    2. Fizik2 or Futlyar was accepted to service in 2017
    Engine: gas-turbine with pump-jet
    Operational range 60 km
    Maximum depth 500 meters
    Maximum speed 60 kn
    Guidance system: Wire, active and passive acoustic/wake homing

    Electric torpedoes 

    UET-1 Ichthyosaurus in service since 2018
    Maximum range: 25km
    Max speed: 50 knots

    contract for 73 UET-1 torpedoes was signed in 2018 to be delivered by 2023.
    In February 2022 there were reports about plans to boost their production and equip all submarines with them after they equip Project 636.3 submarines first.

    GarryB, GunshipDemocracy and Navy fanboy like this post

    avatar
    andalusia


    Posts : 552
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2013-10-01

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty How much should Russia be concerned about France's new Suffren class submarines?

    Post  andalusia Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:00 am

    How much should Russia be concerned about France's new Suffren class submarines? These new submarines don't have any traditional periscope as well as jet/pump propulsion.  Does the Russian Defense Department know anything about this and do they have any countermeasures?





    https://www.popsci.com/new-french-submarine-suffren-no-periscope/




    https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/02/frances-new-submarine-will-be-even-quieter-than-the-ocean/
    lancelot
    lancelot


    Posts : 1108
    Points : 1108
    Join date : 2020-10-18

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  lancelot Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:15 am

    There will not be enough of them to be relevant. Sorry but that is how it is. Cool
    These guys will be mostly patrolling their own waters anyway.
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33219
    Points : 33733
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  GarryB Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:18 am

    Might be a new technological step forward, or might just be a silly fringe trend, they will likely have a look and try to work out its advantages and potential issues and if they think it has potential they might try something themseles.

    They have pumpjet powered subs, and their current designs are very sophisticated and capable... I am not sure they should be overly frightened that France has a new sub design.

    andalusia likes this post

    avatar
    andalusia


    Posts : 552
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2013-10-01

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty I know that Kilo class submarines

    Post  andalusia Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:41 am

    I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango-class_submarine
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9415
    Points : 9399
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  Isos Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:35 am

    andalusia wrote:I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango-class_submarine


    Because France, Germany and other were offering modern submarines for export. You can't compete with an old design and countries can't compete with  tango submarine against their enemies which are buying those modern submarine from western countries.
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33219
    Points : 33733
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  GarryB Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:30 am

    The Tango class was a rather good class of submarine, I doubt they wanted to sell them off when they were using them for themselves.

    andalusia likes this post

    avatar
    andalusia


    Posts : 552
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2013-10-01

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  andalusia Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:31 am

    Isos wrote:
    andalusia wrote:I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango-class_submarine


    Because France, Germany and other were offering modern submarines for export. You can't compete with an old design and countries can't compete with  tango submarine against their enemies which are buying those modern submarine from western countries.

    Good point. I was just thinking that the Tango class was still a fairly new sub when it was retired in the 90s and could have been exported with modern tech.



    https://www.navygeneralboard.com/the-tango-class-russias-rubber-submarine/
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17650
    Points : 18157
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  George1 Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:44 pm

    andalusia wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    andalusia wrote:I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango-class_submarine


    Because France, Germany and other were offering modern submarines for export. You can't compete with an old design and countries can't compete with  tango submarine against their enemies which are buying those modern submarine from western countries.

    Good point. I was just thinking that the Tango class was still a fairly new sub when it was retired in the 90s and could have been exported with modern tech.



    https://www.navygeneralboard.com/the-tango-class-russias-rubber-submarine/

    are you kidding? Tango class a fairly new sub ???

    Big_Gazza likes this post

    avatar
    andalusia


    Posts : 552
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2013-10-01

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  andalusia Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:00 am

    George1 wrote:
    andalusia wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    andalusia wrote:I know that Kilo class submarines were exported to other countries like Algeria, India and China.  However, why didn't the Soviet Union or Russia in the 90s export the Tango class submarines to other countries? They could have been retrofitted using AIP and modernized and exported to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Iran and a few others?


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango-class_submarine


    Because France, Germany and other were offering modern submarines for export. You can't compete with an old design and countries can't compete with  tango submarine against their enemies which are buying those modern submarine from western countries.

    Good point. I was just thinking that the Tango class was still a fairly new sub when it was retired in the 90s and could have been exported with modern tech.



    https://www.navygeneralboard.com/the-tango-class-russias-rubber-submarine/

    are you kidding?  Tango class a fairly new sub ???

    I read that they were built between 1972 to 1983 and Russia began retiring them in the mid 90s.

    https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/641b.htm



    I don't know when submarines become obsolete but some military weapons can be improved and brought up to standards like the improved Kilo.

    I think Garry B would be better to explain about the costs of operating and maintaining a submarine annually. I hope he answers this question.


    Also when does a military weapon become obsolete? I know the Mig 29 was introduced in 1982 and it is still a capable aircraft with upgrades like the Mig 29M.

    Navy fanboy
    Navy fanboy


    Posts : 44
    Points : 53
    Join date : 2022-02-09
    Age : 26
    Location : New Zealand

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  Navy fanboy Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:19 am

    Is there more that the Rus Navy can do in Ukraine? And have their VLS vessels been used to shoot Kalibre at Azov?


    And does anyone know what happened between USS Harry S Truman and Ustinov & Varyag?

    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33219
    Points : 33733
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  GarryB Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:33 am

    The Tango class SSK was a good boat, but the Kilo was smaller and lighter with comparable weapons but faster.... the Tango was a good upgrade from the Foxtrot it replaced... all three... Foxtrot, Tango, and Kilo are long range conventional subs, they were all very good for their time.

    Being long range subs they were (foxtrot and kilo) or would have been (Tango) popular on the export market, but the Tango never really went on the export market.

    They retired the last one in 2016 which is a good innings for such a vessel.

    Their operational costs are much lower than for nuke powered boats and they were more used for ambush operations in shallower waters against western SSNs, which were bigger and more cumbersome in shallow waters.

    History is about to repeat with the Improved Kilos (project 636 that already replaced the early model project 877 kilos) being replaced by Ladas (Project 677).
    Giulio
    Giulio


    Posts : 178
    Points : 203
    Join date : 2013-10-29
    Location : Italy

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  Giulio Sat May 07, 2022 1:25 pm

    Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

    tanino likes this post

    franco
    franco


    Posts : 5139
    Points : 5171
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  franco Sat May 07, 2022 2:11 pm

    Giulio wrote:Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

    Correct! Just another Ukrainian victory using a video war game Rolling Eyes

    GarryB and Big_Gazza like this post

    auslander
    auslander


    Posts : 1566
    Points : 1646
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  auslander Sun May 08, 2022 12:14 am

    Giulio wrote:Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

    Our son returned today. All is normal in Flot.

    GarryB, franco, markgreven, Big_Gazza, tanino, GunshipDemocracy, owais.usmani and like this post

    franco
    franco


    Posts : 5139
    Points : 5171
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  franco Sun May 08, 2022 12:29 am

    auslander wrote:
    Giulio wrote:Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

    Our son returned today. All is normal in Flot.


    Good to hear from you again old friend!

    GarryB, Big_Gazza, auslander and GunshipDemocracy like this post

    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza


    Posts : 3429
    Points : 3427
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  Big_Gazza Sun May 08, 2022 1:44 am

    auslander wrote:
    Giulio wrote:Hello, does anyone know something new about the "Admiral Makarov"? What happened to the frigade? It looks like today she's in harbor, in Sevastopol and not at the bottom of the sea. Am I wrong?

    Our son returned today. All is normal in Flot.


    Great news, and its nice to hear from you again! A few of us were getting a little concerned given you had gone black for awhile.

    GarryB, franco, tanino and auslander like this post

    auslander
    auslander


    Posts : 1566
    Points : 1646
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  auslander Sun May 08, 2022 9:22 am

    [quote="Big_Gazza"]
    auslander wrote:
    Our son returned today. All is normal in Flot.
    Great news, and its nice to hear from you again!  A few of us were getting a little concerned given you had gone black for awhile.


    My friend, and all of you, for us it's been a fairly rough year. One month full lockdown quarantine in September of last year, no one allowed out or in until the full treatment protocol was completed and signed off with copies to us. Food sucked but one could 'order out' and Rusburger did a land office business at Hospital #12 and still does. Of course guards had to take the food parcels but they done good, Rusburger has been known to deliver at 03:00 if you wanted. After a few days locked in VCO and I got together with some others, four men or four women to a room, one of those locked down is an accountant, he set up a chart and payment schedule for anyone who wanted/needed food. Not everyone is as fortunate as my bride and I are so some of us quietly made sure anyone who wanted to order out could.

    Inmate food? At the time we had six rather large dogs, massive collies 2.5 meters tip of nose to tip of tail. Took the last day's little plastic containers of food home with us and neither Old Ruslan (at the time 18 years), his son Aleksandr, blue Sophia and her black/white half sister and Aleksandr's wife Ella would touch it. Food caterer has changed dramatically once that little video went where it had to go. Kat things wouldn't go near it.

    GarryB and Big_Gazza like this post

    medo
    medo


    Posts : 4361
    Points : 4443
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  medo Sun May 08, 2022 12:09 pm

    Arestovich confirm, that nothing happened to frigate Admiral Makarov...

    franco, Big_Gazza, tanino and auslander like this post

    avatar
    andalusia


    Posts : 552
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2013-10-01

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  andalusia Tue May 17, 2022 9:57 am

    Have you guys heard of this US spy submarine Jimmy Carter?


    https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-navy-has-one-nuclear-spy-submarine-so-secret-we-know-24603


    I hope Russia is investing in a lot of these submarines; I hope that Russia doesn't fall behind the US in this:

    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/11110/the-future-of-naval-warfare-will-have-a-lot-more-spy-submarines
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33219
    Points : 33733
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  GarryB Tue May 17, 2022 12:51 pm

    Most SSNs are spy submarines... and Russia has its fair share of "special subs" too.

    Sponsored content


    Questions Thread: Russian Navy - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions Thread: Russian Navy

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue May 24, 2022 12:11 pm