Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+90
Arkanghelsk
Broski
Robert.V
DerWolf
Scorpius
ALAMO
caveat emptor
bandit6
mnrck
lancelot
Regular
lyle6
walle83
Krepost
Russian_Patriot_
JohninMK
limb
TMA1
Tsavo Lion
owais.usmani
william.boutros
Sujoy
mnztr
d_taddei2
RTN
The-thing-next-door
Rodion_Romanovic
jhelb
thegopnik
BenVaserlan
dino00
LMFS
Hole
0nillie0
AMCXXL
SeigSoloyvov
kopyo-21
Peŕrier
MC-21
PapaDragon
Cheetah
Benya
marat
archangelski
ult
galicije83
Rmf
bhramos
hoom
miketheterrible
Ned86
KiloGolf
Zivo
Luq man
x_54_u43
Isos
Cyrus the great
franco
sheytanelkebir
zackyx
AttilaA
collegeboy16
Morpheus Eberhardt
Stealthflanker
marcinko
magnumcromagnon
flamming_python
medo
Werewolf
TR1
mack8
calripson
Vann7
sepheronx
Mindstorm
Hachimoto
dionis
Vympel
KomissarBojanchev
George1
TheArmenian
KamovHelicopter
Viktor
Cyberspec
psg
Russian Patriot
nightcrawler
Austin
GarryB
Admin
94 posters

Ka-52 in Russian Air Force

Isos
    Isos

Ka-52 in Russian Air Force - Page 31 Empty Re: Ka-52 in Russian Air Force

Post  Isos Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:30 am

It could have been destroyed by a Osa radar guided system or a tor or heavy machine gun.

Who told you it was stinger.

Ukrainian air defence is not huge but still powerful.

Those little soviet system are nastier than S-300. Specially for choppers.

miketheterrible and lancelot like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:10 am

Twin barrel 23mm cannon are vastly more capable than 50 cal HMGs and are small enough to mount on the backs of quite light mobile vehicles.

OSA is a command to line of sight missile and could not be stopped with flares or chaff or DIRCMs.

Even in its current state it is better armed for air defence than any HATO nation including the US.
    mnrck
    mnrck

Post  mnrck Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm

"Attack in front - Stinger!"

Unique footage of the work of the on-board defense complex L-370 "Vitebsk" from the cockpit of the Russian attack helicopter Ka-52 "Alligator" during the cover of the landing of the Airborne Forces at the airfield near Gostomel, Kiev region, February 24.

https://t.me/milinfolive/78547

GarryB, dino00, zepia and Arkanghelsk like this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Fri May 13, 2022 6:10 am

Saw on another forum discussion of "vibration issues" of the ka-52 but I dont want to even deal with the people on that forum as their objectivity went out thr window with this current war. They linked to another NI tier article discussing it but all i have seen are two videos of body vibration. Anybody know what is going on? Were these aircraft damaged? Anyone with actual nonbiased info would be much welcomed.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri May 13, 2022 6:52 am

TMA1 wrote:Saw on another forum discussion of "vibration issues" of the ka-52 but I dont want to even deal with the people on that forum as their objectivity went out thr window with this current war. They linked to another NI tier article discussing it but all i have seen are two videos of body vibration. Anybody know what is going on? Were these aircraft damaged? Anyone with actual nonbiased info would be much welcomed.

Early models of Ka-52 had some issues with vibration of the goems imaging system. It was fixed later as I believe the final outcome was the Ka-52's ended up with same optical system used on the later models of Mi-28's which were much better. It was also part to streamline parts and reduce overall costs. It is possible that, as we seen, many older Ka-52s used in the conflict never got the replacement devices and just operate the same optics originally in.

GarryB and TMA1 like this post

bandit6

Post  bandit6 Fri May 13, 2022 11:43 am

TMA1 wrote:Saw on another forum discussion of "vibration issues" of the ka-52 but I dont want to even deal with the people on that forum as their objectivity went out thr window with this current war. They linked to another NI tier article discussing it but all i have seen are two videos of body vibration. Anybody know what is going on? Were these aircraft damaged? Anyone with actual nonbiased info would be much welcomed.

Would it be possible for you to please post the videos you are talking about? Thank you

TMA1 likes this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Sat May 14, 2022 4:37 pm

https://twitter.com/i/status/1524659575848374272

Here is a tweet with one of the videos. I checked the forum and I wasn't surprised at the bigotry but a few old timers there finally started talking sense. I finally am getting an idea of what is going on in the video. Sounds like battle damage. Potentially a mistake in maintenance but I'm going with the former from all I could gather. Btw I've only seen two videos like this before, this being one of the two.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat May 14, 2022 5:01 pm

TMA1 wrote:https://twitter.com/i/status/1524659575848374272

Here is a tweet with one of the videos. I checked the forum and I wasn't surprised at the bigotry but a few old timers there finally started talking sense. I finally am getting an idea of what is going on in the video. Sounds like battle damage. Potentially a mistake in maintenance but I'm going with the former from all I could gather. Btw I've only seen two videos like this before, this being one of the two.

Where did you read "common sense" of the trolls of that worthless post? Idiots just show and manifest their idiotism to the world by constantly mentioning and believing in "washing machines".
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun May 15, 2022 1:21 am

Vibration is an issue for all types of helicopter... one of the main reasons against having mast mounted optics is because vibration made the original optics pretty useless without some serious stabilisation equipment.

These days gyro stabilisation equipment is widespread and also software based image stabilisers are getting very good too.

The influx of more than 10 thousand Stingers should have led to the wiping out of the entire Russian helicopter fleet in fact proponents of Stinger and Starstreak etc suggested the era of the helicopter and CAS was over because it was just too dangerous.

Similar comments about armoured vehicles when talking about Javelin et al... with all the stuff HATO has sent and all the stuff they already had which to be fair was probably rather more practical, I would say aircraft and armoured vehicles are doing pretty damn good really.

flamming_python, Werewolf, Hole, lancelot, TMA1 and Broski like this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 am

Some problems with Ka-52 suppliers:
    https://t.me/Viktor_Murakhovskiy/271

An independent hydraulic unit is installed on the front landing gear of the Ka-52 helicopter, designed to damp vibrations of the wheel pair "shimmy" type when the helicopter moves along the earth's surface. This unit is called a damper. It is a purchased product and is manufactured at Gidromash PJSC (Nizhny Novgorod) with a guaranteed resource of 750 helicopter landings.
    During the operation of Ka-52 helicopters from 2015 to 2020, there were 12 cases of destruction of these dampers within the warranty resource.
    Since the damaged damper is under warranty, the operating organization draws up a reclamation act. A service team arrives, dismantles the destroyed unit, and it is sent to the damper manufacturer. PJSC "Hydromash" is conducting a study of the damper, the results of which conclude that its destruction is due to improper operation. For this reason, the reclamation act is rejected, and a new damper is offered to the operator, of course, for a fee.
    As a result, everyone is happy: the operating organization restored the aircraft fleet to good working order, and the manufacturer made money on it.
    All this "idyll" continued until a pair of destroyed dampers was sent for research at the Research Center (Lyubertsy) of the Central Research Institute of the Air Force of the Ministry of Defense of Russia (the former GosNII ERAT - the Institute for the Maintenance and Repair of Aviation Equipment of the Air Force).
    As a result of the study, it was found:
    • First, the reason for the destruction of the dampers of the front landing gear legs of the Ka-52 helicopters was the presence of defects (contamination) of the material of the brackets in the form of segregations (accumulations) of oxides and oxide films in combination with an unfavorable orientation of the texture (fiber direction) of the material in the region of the lugs;
    • secondly, the presence of such contamination of the material, including lugs emerging on the surface, and the unfavorable direction of the material fiber are unacceptable violations of the requirements of OST 1 90073-85 “Stampings and forgings from aluminum alloys. Specifications";
    • the third is a manufacturing defect, due to the imperfection of the adopted technology for stamping damper brackets and threatens the flight safety of Ka-52 helicopters;
    • Fourth, it is very likely that similar material defects led to the destruction of the brackets on another 8 dampers sent in the period from 2015 to 2018 under reclamation acts to PJSC Hydromash.
    The results of the study were communicated to interested organizations a year ago. During this time, no objections from industrial enterprises were received either by the Institute or by the command of the Aerospace Forces. This circumstance suggests that the true cause of the destruction of the dampers was known to the manufacturer, but the current system allows them to earn money on defects in their products. And if the system allows, then why not take advantage of it? We have market relations.
    The industry should be left only with the overhaul of equipment with its modernization and the supply of spare parts. Calculations have shown that in this case, the costs are reduced by almost four times, and the terms for the restoration of equipment are reduced by about five times.

GarryB, franco, zardof, lancelot and Broski like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:56 am

The Russian military tested the updated Ka-52M helicopter in Ukraine

Currently, the car is undergoing state tests, the source said.
    MOSCOW, September 2. /tass/. The upgraded Ka-52M reconnaissance and attack helicopter was successfully tested during a special operation in Ukraine. This was reported to TASS by a source in the military-industrial complex.

"Currently, the Ka-52M is undergoing state tests, and the military decided to try the upgraded vehicle in a special operation. The helicopter performed very well. As a result of the application, representatives of the military department handed over recommendations to the industry on finalizing and improving some systems, " the source said.

TASS does not have official confirmation of this information.

The Ka-52M is an upgraded version of the Ka-52 Alligator helicopter. According to the developers, the Ka-52M missile armament is unified with the armament of another state-of-the-art Mi-28NM attack helicopter, which significantly increased the target range. The Ka-52M also received a new radar system with an active phased array antenna and an extended-range guided missile. The first flight of the prototype of the upgraded helicopter took place on August 10, 2020.

The design of the Ka-52M uses the best technical solutions: it uses a gyro-stabilized optoelectronic system with an extended target detection and recognition range, a new digital drive that will improve the accuracy of aiming when firing a gun, new brake wheels with a disc brake system and aircraft tires with increased wear resistance are installed. The VK-2500 engine is installed on the upgraded vehicles.

At the Army-2022 forum, the Russian Defense Ministry signed contracts for the supply of upgraded Ka-52M attack helicopters.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/15626773

GarryB, psg, Werewolf, xeno, zardof, thegopnik, Hole and like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:23 am

The Ka-52M also received a new radar system with an active phased array antenna and an extended-range guided missile.

I am guessing the extended range guided missile is LMUR, but could as easily be HERMES... but LMUR is IIR guided while HERMES probably has MMW radar guidance as an option.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:02 am

Time for a helicopter-launched Kaliber version.  Very Happy

Sprut-B and LMFS like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:07 am

Hole wrote:Time for a helicopter-launched Kaliber version.  Very Happy

Chief designer has probably thought about it already Razz

Ka-52 in Russian Air Force - Page 31 C012punigbv11

Werewolf, Sprut-B and lancelot like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:15 pm

TASS
    Source: modernized Ka-52M can interact with drones and airplanes

Ka-52 in Russian Air Force - Page 31 Vertol10
    Ka-52M

According to the interlocutor of the agency, a ground control post is being developed for these purposes.

MOSCOW, 14 September. /TASS/. The upgraded Ka-52M helicopter will have network-centric capabilities - it will work together with unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and interact with other helicopters and aircraft. This was reported to TASS by a source in the military-industrial complex.

"The upgraded version of the Ka-52 helicopter will be able to interact with all aviation facilities that are usually involved in a military operation - drones, aircraft and helicopters. A ground control post is being developed for these purposes. Satellite communications are also planned to solve various problems," he said. agency interlocutor.

According to him, the Ka-52M will be able to work together with the UAV. "The helicopter crew will receive information about the situation on the battlefield from drones. It will also qualitatively improve the collection of intelligence at a greater distance," he said.
    TASS does not have official confirmation of this information.

The Ka-52M is a modernized version of the Ka-52 "Alligator" helicopter, taking into account the experience of its combat use. According to the developers, the Ka-52M missile armament is unified with the armament of another newest Mi-28NM attack helicopter, which made it possible to significantly increase the target engagement range. The Ka-52M also received a new radar system with an active phased array antenna and a guided missile with an increased range. The first flight of a prototype of the modernized helicopter took place on August 10, 2020.

The best technical solutions are used in the design of the Ka-52M: a gyro-stabilized optoelectronic system with an increased range of detection and recognition of targets is used, a new digital drive that will improve the accuracy of aiming when firing from a cannon, new brake wheels with a disc brake system and aircraft tires with increased wear resistance. The VK-2500 engine is installed on the modernized machines.

https://vpk.name/news/631281_istochnik_modernizirovannyi_ka-52m_smozhet_vzaimodeistvovat_s_bespilotnikami_i_samoletami.html

George1, flamming_python, Werewolf, thegopnik, LMFS, Hole and Broski like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:35 pm

Hoping for that combo of Zala helicopter-launched mini-UAVs feeding information to the Ka-52Ms/Ka-52s to launch Izd. 305s or Hermes missiles at targets from way beyond visual range

Azi, thegopnik and Podlodka77 like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:12 am

Years ago they showed a large box like object hung under a weapon pylon which carried 6-8 flying wing type Zala drones that were released in mid flight to scout ahead and find targets and also mark targets if needed till the battery ran out. The wording of the description suggested the drone carried a warhead too and when its battery was near depleted it could climb up and dive on a priority target like an air defence system to destroy it and itself.

Information gathered could be used for standoff attacks by the helicopter and also transmitted to HQ to keep tabs on western forces were.

Having a shared digital battle map is one thing but you need platforms to go out and scout to populate that map with useful information too and this was part of that recon network.

Of course tanks and armoured vehicles on the front line could also mark the position of enemy forces which could be used by airborne platforms to find targets and to know where friendlies were.

Everyone here talks about the power of marauding armed drones, but the risks of friendly fire are high so confirming targets are what you think they are is important... especially when there are allied forces there too.

I remember a story about a battle on the western front where a western sniper had infiltrated enemy lines... he wasn't right at the front but he wasn't right at the rear and of course every time he shot he was killing enemy soldiers in front of him, so when getting shot from behind the troops in front of his position would look back to see where the shots were coming from and he would look back to to give the impression they were coming from behind him.

Dirty pool of course, but this is war.

Podlodka77 likes this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:36 am

Тасс

The modernized Ka-52M helicopter is equipped with composite blades with a heating element, which will prevent them from icing. This was told to TASS by a source in the military-industrial complex.

"A slight change has been made in the blades for the Ka-52M helicopter. There is a heating element inside them, that is, an anti-icing system," the agency's source said.

George1, flamming_python, zepia, LMFS, Hole, Broski and Belisarius like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:33 am

The Ka-52 seems to be having way more combat losses than the Mi-28. I think the Russian military should refrain from purchasing more Ka-52 helicopters and focus on Mi-28 production. Available Ka-52 helicopters should still get upgraded to Ka-52M but they should not be building more at least not for the ground forces. Maybe just for the navy.

Kamov needs to improve Ka-52 IR stealth to a similar level to that on the Mi-28 because this helicopter just is not survivable enough anymore.

owais.usmani likes this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:44 am

And by the "lot more" you mean in detail? dunno

GarryB and flamming_python like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:37 am

Mi 28 isn't used as much as ka 52.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:00 am

Isos wrote:Mi 28 isn't used as much as ka 52.

The reason for this is that Mil Mi and MoD have been very slow on the upgrades of L-370 DIRCMs on Mi-28N's. Why? Hell knows, but they upgraded MAWS, L-370-2 and guidance system for Missiles. They had a chance to get them but no idea why they still have none. Mi-24VM3 even has three L-370 DIRCM dazzlers and full but semi optimal MAWS configuration.

Hard to lose something if you don't use them in hardest battles where Mi-24, Ka-52 and Su-25 are used.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:04 am

They can just pop up above friendly forces on the front and hit the enemy in front of them with atgm that outrange manpads.

They use very little number of air launched atgms.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:20 am

Isos wrote:They can just pop up above friendly forces on the front and hit the enemy in front of them with atgm that outrange manpads.

They use very little number of air launched atgms.

They are doing it, but apparently the russian artillery is quicker, safer, more cost efficient and available 24/7.

They will use them more when there is better intel. Attack Helicopters are highly potent but only and exclusively if they have great intel. The coordination between frontline troops, some quadrocopters or Orlan-10 drones for target acquisition for artillery batteries is working like a clockwork. Most of the ground troops don't have direct communication with Air Force units or command. That shit is bureaucratic pain in the ass, despite all the technology for coordinated and intercoms capability it is still bureaucratic nightmare for frontline troops to beg for air support.

GarryB likes this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:42 am

The ka-52 is in a threat environment not seen by any attack helicopter since the vietnam war. No exaggeration. Helis on the modern battlefield are very vulnerable. Ka-52 has a strong record from what open source information tells us. A good piece of kit. And yes it has yeeted precision fires. The article 305 has been extremely impressive and the vikhr update is incredible, as we already knew. The fully realized ka-52m is going to be top in the food chain of attack helicopters. Without doubt. The new radar and comms systems will be incredible. It will finally take on it's full role as a true scout-attack platform for precision fires and drones as well as collecting, sending and receiving vast amounts of battlefield data in real time. All while being the safest heli in any war zone. Whether you hard land the crippled bird or God forbid the heli starts breaking up and you got to eject.

Cant wait to see the latest iteration in serial production.

GarryB, psg, Werewolf and Hole like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am