Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+47
Singular_trafo
runaway
Scorpius
Department Of Defense
PhSt
Begome
Tsavo Lion
flamming_python
sepheronx
TMA1
Broski
wilhelm
The-thing-next-door
Kiko
kumbor
Arrow
LMFS
teh_beard
Lurk83
Podlodka77
Rodion_Romanovic
miketheterrible
Dima
Singular_Transform
caveat emptor
Mindstorm
lyle6
RTN
Navy fanboy
PapaDragon
Sujoy
JohninMK
George1
Krepost
marcellogo
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
magnumcromagnon
ALAMO
Big_Gazza
Arkanghelsk
Mir
walle83
mnztr
lancelot
limb
GarryB
Isos
51 posters

Russian Navy: Status and News #6

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #6

Post  GarryB Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:54 am

Not to mention the fact that a decent naval gun in that calibre with fully automated loading is your best bet to mount a swarm attack on an enemy force... even just with one turret with perhaps two guns you could fire probably two dozen shells on different trajectories that would allow them to all arrive on target almost together, so the target might have to engage dozens of targets at once with each shell guided and packing a 50-60kg plus payload of HE and metal fragments... a normal 203mm round is 100-120kgs so if even half of that is fuel and a ramjet motor and guidance systems, you still have 50-60kgs for the payload.

It could use airbrakes for steering or some sort of engine thrust vectoring for the ramjet to aim and manouver... you could have one round that is simply solid all the way through... they could hit it with multiple SAMs and not destroy it with fragments of a proximity fused SAM.
    Arrow

Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #6

Post  Arrow Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:31 am

60 submarines, of which 38 are nuclear submarines. * 32 surface warships and 20 landing ships.. wrote:

So 120 ships of different classes. It's still probably the 3rd navy in the world? Smile Missing missile ships Buyan M and Karakurt, which is another 22 ships Smile

Hole, owais.usmani and Belisarius like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:20 am

Podlodka77 wrote:The above is a text from Navykorabel.ru, and I myself wrote about the fact that the Russian Navy is most likely "sacrificed" while the SMO lasts, that is, that is why the "Krasnoyarsk" was not handed over or the "Arkhangelsk" was not launched, etc.. It is not Sevmash's problem. the problem is that the money is diverted on armored military equipment..

I think it is actually the other way around. Russia has brought back the naval industry to an acceptable level with the small displacement ships already in production and knows perfectly well they now need a serious ocean going fleet. As we see from the news related to the 22350M, what they do is to prepare themselves for this new phase, which demands to modernize shipyards and take the time needed to reconsider the best options to shift the next decisive gear in naval construction. The confrontation with the West is here and it is for real, the first unmistakable sign of it being the deployment of the Gorshkov in range for a land attack against the CONUS by means of Tsirkon. I don't agree the VMF will be the victim of the SMO, quite on the contrary now Russia needs to use their well earned money in ensuring their future lifeline, the commerce with the multipolar world, is safe from the attacks of the West.

GarryB, franco, Hole and Broski like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am

Russkie are in the process of a drastic increase of armed forces financing, only because of the size increase. We talk about 30% hike, while Shoigu was saying something about 50% budget increase.
    I wouldn't be worried too much about the project financing liquidity, honestly.

GarryB, LMFS, Hole, Broski and Belisarius like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:26 am

Considering that K-564 "Arkhangelsk" (or "Khabarovsk") has been under construction since March 2015, which is almost 8 years and has not yet been launched, I think my criticism is justified.
    And the reason for that is certainly not Sevmash but money.
    What positive trends are you writing about, gentleman ? Well, since November 2007 (Steregushchiy was commissioned), the Russians managed to put into service only 7 corvettes of project 20380 and one of project 20385.

And now you will write to me how everything will get better, even though the fact is that even the construction of corvettes is not going at the desired speed, not to mention the frigates..

Yes, Russia with 70 billion dollars produces REALLY a lot, but it is the navy that suffers and this time I agree with the article from Navykorabel.ru.
    Look at how long the testing of ships takes, too long, as well as the modernization of project 971 to 971M or 949A to 949AM, or the modernization of "Admiral Nahimov".
    * If Russia does not urgently do something about the construction of SSN/SSGN submarines, then in the future Russia will have slightly more submarines of this type than France and England combined.
    * I'm not even going to write about surface warships with a larger displacement. Plans are just plans and then an idiotic text appears on TASS that "Golovko" will be handed over to the Russian Navy in March?! Well, first of all, I guess there are state trials that haven't even started yet. Corvette "Rezkiy" has been undergoing testing for over a year and has not yet become operational.
    And so bombastic texts have been published in the media for years, but the results are realistically insufficient.
    The only exception is SSBNs, SSKs, as well as surface units with a displacement of less than 1000 tons.

limb likes this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:43 pm

Russia is WINNING in Ukraine and as long as the Kremlin holds fast, sticks to its guns, and works diligently to complete the destruction of the Kiev banderite regime then it will achieve a critical victory over the murkan globalist hegemony, and might even deliver it a mortal wound cheers

It will be the ground and aerospace forces that will deliver this blow against the Evil Empire, not the navy.  As much as I want to see a potent Russian blue water navy (and the USN reduced to a collection of rusting hulks tied up and awaiting scrapping in Alang  Twisted Evil ) the focus must be on building Russias core strengths.  Fancy warships won't break NATOs back in this conflict.

russia

GarryB, 4channer, Hole, owais.usmani and Podlodka77 like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm

What positive trends are you writing about, gentleman ? Well, since November 2007 (Steregushchiy was commissioned), the Russians managed to put into service only 7 corvettes of project 20380 and one of project 20385.

Well, I see that from a different perspective bro.
    Russkie are doing as much as they can to further lower the need of having a navy anyway.
    But sure they will have one, and sure it will be 3rd naval force on the planet. Maybe 2nd, as Murica will collapse and a civil war will be carried out there - who knows, imagine I am a dreamer Laughing

The task they had was how to avoid multiple mistakes made in tsarists and commie times - a huge fleet that was separated and could have been just overwhelmed one by one at theatres distanced by 10kkm.

They did. They bloody did.

A whole Russian coastline is perfectly safe, with multiple land based AShMs brigades.
    Russian airforce can create a denial zone 2000 km offshore. Not a single ship will survive there.

Objectively, they are doing extravaganza now.

GarryB, Hole and Podlodka77 like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:58 pm

According to this source http://russianships.info/eng/today/ there are 77 submarines of various types of which 15 are presently inactive for multiple reasons and 223 ships of which 9 are presently inactive. So 62 operational subs and 214 operational ships.

GarryB and Hole like this post

limb

Post  limb Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:14 pm

Why is the testing of rezkiy taking so long? I thought zaslon and the 20380s are mature technology.

owais.usmani likes this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:30 pm

To ALAMO...

Bro, nothing of what I wrote is critical, but to write that everything is ideal also makes no sense.
    Frankly, I am indifferent to frigates and they will never have the importance that 885M submarines have.. Frigates are important but submarines are even more important..
    Cheers to you bro thumbsup
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:48 pm

Submaribes are better but frigates and surface ships allow projection of power and radar coverage something subs can't do.

If your only task is destroying ships then go for submarines only. But if you want to do more than that you need surface ships.

Frigates are also the best cost effective solution. Corvettes are too small with less weapons, power and endurence. Cruisers and destroyers are too expensive to operate.

Gorshkov is gonna be the backbone of their fleet. They will easily get 30 or so such ships of all versions in the end. By end I mean next few decades. Until they switch for a replacement.
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:46 pm

Russia is only just completing work on the systems needed to make larger surface warships and investing in too many corvettes and light frigates would waste too much manpower and funding.

I would imagine, given the improving geopolitical situation and the growing need to protect far away Russian interests that Russia will have atleast 50 large surface combatants by 2055.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:11 am

The new ships take a lot of testing because they are multipurpose multifunction vessels that can be used in an enormous range of roles.

Previous gen Corvettes were anti sub or anti ship but not both and none could attack land based targets with long range cruise missiles...

Submarines are very useful and effective during war time and for sneaky recon during peace time, but you need a decent surface fleet to protect your commerce with the world... submarines would be totally useless in such a role and would start wars.

If UK or US or French military ships are stopping Russian trading ships and searching them and seizing them for carrying something they have decided is contraband or for breaking western sanctions WTF is a sub going to do about it?

Sinking those western ships would be an act of war and there is not much else a sub could do other that monitor and report what is happening.

Even a Corvette can approach and warn western ships away from Russian flagged vessels and also fire a few harmless warning shots with its guns if needed.

Submarines are needed but surface ships are more useful in peace time... which is the period of which Russia wants to grow and develop and trade with the world.

Big_Gazza, zardof, gc3762 and Broski like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:43 am

I agree that the Russian Navy needs at least 6 project 22350 frigates for each of the 4 fleets, although it is not impossible that the Black Sea and Baltic fleets will get less than 6 frigates, while the Northern and Pacific fleets will get more than 6, as well as probably all project 22350M frigates. Isos is also right when he writes about the advantages of surface warships over submarines or vice versa. However, the fact is that Russia needs more than 20 SSN/SSGN submarines.
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 am

To ALAMO...

Bro, nothing of what I wrote is critical, but to write that everything is ideal also makes no sense.
    Frankly, I am indifferent to frigates and they will never have the importance that 885M submarines have.. Frigates are important but submarines are even more important..
    Cheers to you bro thumbsup

Naah, it is not a critical/ideal ratio issue.
    Only the real needs.
    I do get the message that you are a fleet lover welcome Very Happy

Podlodka77 likes this post

marcellogo
    marcellogo

Post  marcellogo Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:40 am

Man, it exist also a thing called geography: Russia need not to have (thank God) a navy made only of DDG and CVN like the USN as it has both to patrol an extensive coastline than to operate in seas like the Baltic and the same Black Sea in which also an Admiral Gorshkov is an overkill.
    So capable corvettes like the 230801 and even more 230805 have their own role.

Same with submarines: normal SS made a lot of sense for the russian Navy and the overall submarine production rate is absolutely great now and will increase further when Type 677 and Khabarovsk will reach full maturity,
    Auxiliary ship situation (and in such case we should imitate a famous saying and affirm that Surface Combatants make Fleets but Auxiliaries make the Navy itself) is excellent also.
    So, it's right to criticise what still doesn't work but don't just became all Doomers.

GarryB likes this post

Arrow

Post  Arrow Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:46 am

For Russia, the most important is the Arctic and the future northern sea route. The Arctic is also very rich in resources. Thanks to global warming, their extraction will be easier. With a huge coastline on the arctic side and many islands in the northern seas, they can control most of the arctic with land-based AShm missile launchers and frigates and corvettes. Russia has no need to rule the Atlantic or the Pacific. The Pacific will be dominated by China, which is allied with Russia.

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:01 am

So, it's right to criticise what still doesn't work but don't just became all Doomers.

There are two factors for consideration.
    The first one is how Russia is going to carry out its trade whatsoever. Second is how they are supposed to use a navy other than presenting the banner, and why.
    For years now, Russkie are determined to redirect maximal amount of trade to its internal space. NSR is being expanded at an insane rate, and that applies to infrastructure, fleet, navy, and army. "Infrastructure" is a euphemism because we talk not only about ned ports, railways, and airports - but assisting satellites, retranslation systems, communication, and optic fiber cables pulled along the entire northern RF border.
    BAM railway is expanded at insane rate, it will gain some triple the capacity.
    An alternative railway is being constructed up in the north, a project that even the Soviet Union was forced to cease facing the environmental conditions.
    New Caspian N-S transportation corridor will be finally constructed.
    Very soon, we will face a reality, when all tradable goods from/to Europe will have an alternative to travel double the distance, or being supplied by routes that Russia controls.
    And all of that will work at minimal naval presence only. Entire NSR and railway corridors will be fully controlled and covered by Russia, while N-S Caspian route will be carried at standard, commercial regulations. The area is already covered by Iranian and Indian navy, so there will be hardly a need of Russian expanded presence there.
    The other factor leads to a conclusion, that Russian Navy has only one serious, strategic goal - it is securing the strategic submarine's operational potential. It can be executed with minimal expenses, as the weapon systems those carry can operate globally without even leaving the bay.
    As I said, I have no doubts that the WMF will be the third navy on the planet, but hardly can explain that in practical meaning.

Rodion_Romanovic, Hole, gc3762, Broski, Belisarius and Podlodka77 like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:07 am

Flot.com
    February 10, 2023 at 10:09 Subject: Other Navy, Navy

Russian Foreign Ministry: the issue of creating a naval base in Sudan is in the process of being agreed

The agreement between Moscow and Khartoum on the establishment of a logistics center for the Russian Navy in Sudan is in the process of ratification. This was stated by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov at a joint press conference with Sudanese Foreign Minister Ali al-Sadiq Ali.

"As for the agreement on the creation of a logistics center for the Navy of the Russian Federation, it has been signed and is in the process of ratification," the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry said.

Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 13 Aa-ea10
    Port Sudan
    Wikipedia

Recall that in December 2020, Russia and Sudan agreed to establish a logistics center for the Russian Navy on the Red Sea coast. It was assumed that Russia would be able to place no more than four ships there at the same time, while the presence of ships with a nuclear power plant is allowed. According to the document, the maximum number of base personnel will not exceed 300 people.

In June 2021, Muhammad Usman al-Hussein, Chief of Staff of the Sudanese Armed Forces, announced a possible revision of the agreement. Even earlier, in April, the Al-Arabiya TV channel, citing a source, reported that Sudan was freezing the operation of the agreement on the establishment of a military base on the Red Sea, signed with the previous authorities. The Russian Embassy in Khartoum denied this information.

In September 2021, information appeared in the press that Khartoum allegedly expected to receive economic assistance from Moscow, subject to the lease of the base for five years with the possibility of signing an agreement for 25 years. Later, the charge d'affaires of the republic in Russia, Onur Ahmad Onur, refuted these data.

https://flot.com/2023/%D0%92%D0%BC%D1%848/

GarryB, franco, LMFS, Hole, gc3762 and Broski like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:53 pm

Title: Presentation of the Order of Ushakov to the missile ship division of the Northern Fleet
    Description: Russia. Murmansk region. Severomorsk. Nuclear cruiser "Peter the Great" and missile cruiser "Marshal Ustinov" (left to right). Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Nikolai Evmenov, presented the Order of Ushakov to the largest formation of surface ships of the Russian Navy - the 43rd division of missile ships of the Northern Fleet. The division became the first formation of the Navy to be awarded the Order of Ushakov. Lev Fedoseev/TASS

Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 13 23-11311
    Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 13 23-11310

franco, LMFS and Hole like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:29 am

15 mins ago as I write; Sputniknews reports:

Hypersonic Missiles & Modernization: Putin Vows to Strengthen Russia's Nuclear Triad

[.]
    "We will pay increased attention, as before, to strengthening the nuclear triad," Putin told an audience of World War II veterans on Thursday, referring to the country’s three methods of attacking with nuclear weapons: land-based ballistic missile, submarine-based ballistic missile, and nuclear bomber.

According to the Russian leader, this will include placing on the first RS-28 Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) launchers on combat duty, pushing forward the development and production of more hypersonic missiles, and the commissioning of the Russian Navy’s latest nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine.

"This year, the first launchers of the Sarmat missile complex with a new heavy missile will enter into combat duty. We will continue the mass production of hypersonic air-to-surface Kinzhal missiles and begin mass deliveries of anti-ship hypersonic Zircon cruise missiles," Putin said.[.]

"The entry of [submarine] Emperor Alexander III into Russian Navy combat duty will ensure that the share of modern weapons and equipment in the naval strategic nuclear forces will reach 100%,"

Putin added. “In the coming years, the fleet's combat strength will be enhanced by three more similar ballistic missile submarines.”

Big_Gazza, LMFS and Hole like this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:47 pm

Russia will equip its Navy with the Aleksandr III and Krasnoyarsk nuclear submarines, 02.27.2023.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The Russian Navy will receive two new nuclear submarines in 2023, the strategic Aleksandr III (project 955, Borei-A) and the multipurpose Krasnoyarsk (project 885, Yasen-M), the director general of the Shipbuilding Corporation (OSK, in Russian) Alexey Rachmanov told Sputnik.

"The Sevmash shipyards [in Severodvinsk, northwest] usually deliver one or two nuclear submarines every year. That was the case in 2021 and in 2022, and let's hope that it will be the same in 2023. They will be the Aleksandr III strategic submarine and the Krasnoyarsk multipurpose submarine," the executive informed.

The submarines of the 955 Borei project and the modernized 955A Borei-A project belong to the fourth-generation nuclear submarines, carry 16 Bulava ballistic missiles and are intended to fulfill nuclear deterrence tasks.

Currently, six of these submarines serve in the Russian Navy: Yuri Dolgoruki, Aleksandr Nevsky, Vladimir Monomakh, Kniaz Vladimir, Kniaz Oleg and Generalissimus Suvorov.

The multipurpose submarines of the Yasen-M project 885M are the modernized version of the Project 885. The Yasen are armed with the Kalibr and Onyx cruise missiles, and later it is planned to arm them also with the Tsirkon (zirconium, in Russian) hypersonic missiles.

The Russian Navy currently incorporates one project 885 submarine and two Project 885M submarines.

Yandex Translate from Spanish

https://sputniknews.lat/20230227/rusia-dotara-a-su-armada-con-los-submarinos-nucleares-aleksandr-iii-y-krasnoyarsk-1136242166.html

xeno, Big_Gazza, LMFS and lancelot like this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:56 pm

Russian Navy: the use of lithium-ion batteries increases the combat capability of submarines, 02.27.2023.

An air-independent propulsion system for non-nuclear submarines developed by the Rubin Central Marine Engineering Design Bureau of the Russian Navy provides for the use of lithium-ion batteries, Alexei Rachmanov, general director of the United Shipbuilding Corporation, told Sputnik.

According to Rachmanov, the new system will increase the combat capabilities of the Russian Navy's submarines.

"The new development of the design bureau provides for the use of these batteries together with an anaerobic energy system, which should significantly increase the combat capabilities of promising non-nuclear submarines," he stated.

The expert also stressed that lithium-ion batteries have more power than current ones with the same weight and size characteristics.

Air-independent propulsion increases the discretion of a submarine, as it allows it to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen, eliminating the need to surface.

Yandex Translate from Spanish

https://sputniknews.lat/20230227/armada-rusa-el-uso-de-baterias-de-iones-de-litio-aumenta-la-capacidad-de-combate-de-los-submarinos-1136240593.html

GarryB, franco, Big_Gazza, LMFS, Hole, Broski and Podlodka77 like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:01 am

Actually those solid state batteries they were working on that are heat resistant that allows very high voltage fast charging would be very useful for subs allowing them to charge very very quickly without the risk of overheating and destroying the batteries.

franco and Broski like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:12 pm

Warships of the main classes of the Russian Navy as of 03/01/2023

Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 13 23003510

franco, LMFS and Hole like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:47 am