Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+86
thegopnik
marcellogo
Begome
LMFS
PhSt
Tsavo Lion
tomazy
Walther von Oldenburg
0nillie0
william.boutros
dino00
Sprut-B
The-thing-next-door
Hole
Big_Gazza
Ives
Anonymous Fighter
George1
Project Canada
littlerabbit
KiloGolf
d_taddei2
T-47
franco
Kimppis
eehnie
Isos
nomadski
Benya
cheesfactory
SeigSoloyvov
miketheterrible
VladimirSahin
par far
a-andreich
Ned86
archangelski
max steel
Khepesh
Mak Sime
sepheronx
OminousSpudd
JohninMK
higurashihougi
Cplnew83
Cyberspec
PapaDragon
flamming_python
Book.
GunshipDemocracy
Flanky
sheytanelkebir
collegeboy16
KoTeMoRe
partizan
Werewolf
ult
ali.a.r
Kyo
victor1985
vuxel
Stealthflanker
nemrod
TheArmenian
medo
Zivo
KomissarBojanchev
TR1
Trexonian
GarryB
magnumcromagnon
Morpheus Eberhardt
AlfaT8
kvs
Djoka
Asf
Vympel
Mindstorm
Vann7
Viktor
Regular
acatomic
Cpt Caz
zg18
Mike E
Austin
90 posters

Russian Ground Forces: News #2

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  GarryB Sun May 03, 2015 10:47 am

So logically I would expect Gorets-O to be Armata based... do you agree?
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun May 03, 2015 11:12 am

GarryB wrote:So logically I would expect Gorets-O to be Armata based... do you agree?

If the term "Armata-based" is a reference to a machine of the same generation as T-14 and T-15, then I agree, but T-14 and T-15 have very little in common, and if you add to that the fact that Gorets-O is claimed to be amphibious, then saying that Gorets-O is Armata-based is, I think, merely a matter of semantics.

However, a T-14 based system with flotation aides might be a possibility; the amphibious bit being an error is another possibility.

Also the amphibious vehicle may involve a mix-up with amphibious engineering vehicles based on, let's say, Kurganets chassis.

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun May 03, 2015 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 Empty Military Vechiles 2

Post  flamming_python Sun May 03, 2015 12:14 pm

The UAZ Patriot.
    The running joke back in the day was that 'you'd have to be a patriot to buy one'  lol!
    But there have been many iterations since its original introduction and it seems to be a robust, reliable vehicle these days.

Here is the Pickup variant used by the FSB Border Guards

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 UAZ-pickup

There are apparently special surviellance versions in service with the Border Guards too; you can read about them here, along with a similar version they pitched to the Navy.
    http://bastion-karpenko.ru/patriot-okapi-n/
    Here is one of them; the Patriot-Okapi

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 UAZ-Patriot_OKAPI_N_2

Here is a special Patriot Sport variant for the police (MVD). I'm not sure if this variant is in service

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 Interpolitex_2010_%28336-30%29

Here is a very similar variant in use by the police for sure, as a patrol vehicle for urban and rural localities; replacing the Soviet-era UAZ-3135.

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 F_NDgubXZkLnJ1L3VwbG9hZC9zaXRlNTAvZG9jdW1lbnRfaW1hZ2VzLzJ4RHJOa2ZpdTMtODAweDYwMC5qcGc_X19pZD00OTk1OQ==

An armoured variant (Tarantul-19312); either this and/or the other armoured variant (Esaul 2945) is used by the police AFAIK

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 Tarantul-19312-03

A rescue vehicle variant displayed at an exhibition 2 years ago.
    A broadly similar UAZ Patriot variant is used by Russian EMERCOM; perhaps replacing an earlier model based upon the AvtoVAZ Niva chassis.

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 Integrated_Safety_and_Security_Exhibition_2013_%28501-27%29

Here is a UAZ Patriot variant used by Russian military road inspection; looks like an older variant

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 8721765486_24af387f56_c

There is also a variant that has been started to be acquired by the army this year; relacing the UAZ-3135. Apparently it is based off the latest civilian models, but with automatic transmission and likely some other modifications.
    Looking at the following photo, it looks like there is actually a whole set of them; ranging from a 2-seat cargo version, to what looks like a 5-seater technical with a RPK-74 in the back, to the standard 5-seater, and finally the 9-seat modification of the standard 5-seater (using folding chairs).
    Presumably they will be used as general-purpose transportation vehicles, mainly for officers and such, and as light utility vehicles.

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 %D1%83%D0%B0%D0%B7

And finally; the LDM-2R variant, here hauling a whole rail wagon

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun May 03, 2015 3:01 pm

GarryB wrote:So logically I would expect Gorets-O to be Armata based... do you agree?

Sounds like you're having doubts, GarryB Twisted Evil

Actually I'm noticing that a whole load of new vehicles are entering service or will soon be - that aren't based on Typhoons/Bumerangs/Kurganets/Armatas.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sun May 03, 2015 5:19 pm

it did say the thing is a vehicle family- only way i think a family relation between such vehicles would be sharing the engineering role across different weight classes.

the bits about amphibious capability and leading the vanguard ahead of T-14 and T-15 are probably poor phrasing. havent heard or seen anything with tank level frontal protection that could swim.

new vehicles entering service on not a/k/b/t chassis arent indicative that they are not sticking to vehicle families in the new divisions and brigades.
    they probably are ready with the mission - specific equipment/ modules and dont want to waste time waiting for the new chassis and instead begin testing now. later theyll just place them on new chassis. for the heavy vehicles i think there wont be much fuss if they do things this way. the problem will be with the lighter ones, but considering they arent as far ahead with them as with armatas (2 armatas vs 1 of each of kurganets and boomerang, no typhoon at all), they still have time to deal with tailoring those for the lighter builds.

just my 2c.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sun May 03, 2015 5:36 pm

The Armenian Army (special forces) uses the pickup and cargo versions of the UAZ Patriot.
    We modified the front bumpers for better offroading capabilities.

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 5vvoz9
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sun May 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Well it's got 7 wheels so it's likely based on the Armata or Kurganets
    sheytanelkebir

Post  sheytanelkebir Mon May 04, 2015 10:55 am

how mechanically reliable is the patriot? is it up to toyota landcruiser standard?
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am

sheytanelkebir wrote:how mechanically reliable is the patriot? is it up to toyota landcruiser standard?

No idea, but I doubt anything would be as good as a Toyota Landcruiser.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Sounds like you're having doubts, GarryB Twisted Evil

Actually I'm noticing that a whole load of new vehicles are entering service or will soon be - that aren't based on Typhoons/Bumerangs/Kurganets/Armatas.

There will be vehicles that operate outside of the brigade structure and so don't need to be based on a specific family...

Of course claims of amphibious capability might just be confusing floating with being able to operate in water... there were several tank based engineer vehicles that could operate underwater to find shallow water and places suitable for entry and exit on rivers and lakes...

Also the amphibious vehicle may involve a mix-up with amphibious engineering vehicles based on, let's say, Kurganets chassis.

Or they mean amphibious in terms of operating on land and in water so a snorkeling vehicle is amphibious, just like a floating vehicle is.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Mon May 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Or they mean amphibious in terms of operating on land and in water so a snorkeling vehicle is amphibious, just like a floating vehicle is.

That's true. Even though, traditionally the term amphibious vehicle has been used to refer to those vehicles capable of water surface propulsion, but in this case, the message could have gotten lost during the translation.

Also I am sure that both T-14 and T-15 should be capable of snorkeling, but where is the snorkel? Where is it stowed? They have just removed it for the parade/practice?
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 Empty 2S17, Nova-SV

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat May 09, 2015 12:34 am

2S17, Nova-SV

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 WH91btW

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 J1w2uGD

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 KYvv6tt

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat May 09, 2015 11:33 am

Also I am sure that both T-14 and T-15 should be capable of snorkeling, but where is the snorkel? Where is it stowed? They have just removed it for the parade/practice?

they are not shown with Nakidka either... doesn't mean they wont have that.

A snorkel will likely fit on the rear hull or rear turret depending on the model....
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat May 09, 2015 12:27 pm

GarryB wrote:

they are not shown with Nakidka either... doesn't mean they wont have that.

A snorkel will likely fit on the rear hull or rear turret depending on the model....

My intention was to say that I actually think that both T-14 and T-15 are capable of snorkeling. I wasn't trying to be cynical, of course.

Pretty much all Russian tanks, BMPs, and BTRs are required to be either amphibious or be able to snorkel.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun May 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Agreed... there were no vehicles with mine rollers or mine plows either, but that doesn't mean all the Armata and Kurganets and boomerang and Typhoon vehicles can't be fitted with such things...
    Vympel

Post  Vympel Sun May 10, 2015 4:43 pm

The snorkel? Its right there stowed underneath of the rear of the turret. I thought it quite obvious.

http://77rus.smugmug.com/Military/May-4th-rehearsal-of-2015/i-W37Xkbd/0/O/4mayrehearsal_09.jpg
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Mon May 11, 2015 1:40 am

Well, I for one hadn't noticed it so far....good catch Smile
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Mon May 11, 2015 11:09 am

Vympel wrote:The snorkel? Its right there stowed underneath of the rear of the turret. I thought it quite obvious.

http://77rus.smugmug.com/Military/May-4th-rehearsal-of-2015/i-W37Xkbd/0/O/4mayrehearsal_09.jpg

I saw it after having written my post; however, I have yet to examine T-15 images for its snorkel. Have you found it?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 11, 2015 12:21 pm

The snorkel? Its right there stowed underneath of the rear of the turret. I thought it quite obvious.

Funny how you can look at something trying to find other things like APS and DIRCMs and not notice the basic stuff.

Are my eyes deceiving me or at the very rear of the turret bustle are they individual track links seen through a mesh screen?

If so I wonder what the purpose of the mesh screen is?

Stealth?

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Tue May 12, 2015 11:53 am

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Vympel wrote:The snorkel? Its right there stowed underneath of the rear of the turret. I thought it quite obvious.

I saw it after having written my post; however, I have yet to examine T-15 images for its snorkel. Have you found it?

Is T-15's snorkel carried inside?
    Austin

Post  Austin Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Russian Defense Ministry orders several hundred combat vehicles — manufacturer

MOSCOW, May 12. /TASS/. The Russian Defense Ministry and the Tractor Plants concern have signed a contract for the supply of several dozen mechanized infantry combat vehicles BMP-3, the concern’s vice-president and co-owner, Albert Bakov, has told TASS.

"We have concluded a three-year contract with the Defense Ministry for supplying hundreds of BMP-3," he said.

In the process of the BMP-s serial production the vehicle’s design underwent 1,500 amendments.

Bakov said that Kurganmashzavod, an affiliate of the Tractor Plants, said would continue providing BMP-3 until the completion of research and development of the Kurganets-25 platform and the beginning of the serial production of a new generation of combat vehicles on its basis.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue May 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Austin wrote:Russian Defense Ministry orders several hundred combat vehicles — manufacturer

Big news Smile
    Vympel

Post  Vympel Tue May 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:

Nah - its nowhere visible. Perhaps stored in the troop compartment?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed May 13, 2015 12:26 am

Well... two options.... it is a from scratch design and they knew they would be crossing rivers so a fully retractable design is possible, and a fully removable design they chose not to carry in this instance is another option.

Of course only the Armata vehicle would need the snorkel as the lighter vehicles will be fully amphibious so carrying a snorkel will be unique to armata vehicles and their turrets... the MBT turret on the lighter vehicles wont require that snorkel so I wonder what it might carry there?

No obvious mine clearing devices like this:

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 T9060810
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed May 13, 2015 12:46 am

GarryB wrote:

Well... two options.... it is a from scratch design and they knew they would be crossing rivers so a fully retractable design is possible, and a fully removable design they chose not to carry in this instance is another option.

Of course only the Armata vehicle would need the snorkel as the lighter vehicles will be fully amphibious so carrying a snorkel will be unique to armata vehicles and their turrets... the MBT turret on the lighter vehicles wont require that snorkel so I wonder what it might carry there?

No obvious mine clearing devices like this:

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 T9060810

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 13 GB7E0

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:48 am