Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Project 949A: Oscar-II

GarryB

Re: Project 949A: Oscar-II

Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:12 am

In the rush to get nuke propelled subs into service the Soviets ignored a few important safety ideas... the HENs were notorious for reactor problems because they shared the same practically still experimental reactors...

When I say HEN, I mean Hotel, Echo, and November classes.

After that the quality has improved enormously and today I would say the technical capability and safety of Russian reactors is second to none and getting better all the time.

Simply, not building any reactors is safest way to avoid accidents USA tech rulez

Can't argue with that, except to say there are no conventionally powered subs in the US Navy, so if they are not building any more reactors then they are also not building any more subs...
    Singular_Transform

Post  Singular_Transform on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:14 pm

GarryB wrote:In the rush to get nuke propelled subs into service the Soviets ignored a few important safety ideas... the HENs were notorious for reactor problems because they shared the same practically still experimental reactors...

When I say HEN, I mean Hotel, Echo, and November classes.

After that the quality has improved enormously and today I would say the technical capability and safety of Russian reactors is second to none and getting better all the time.

Simply, not building any reactors is safest way to avoid accidents USA tech rulez

Can't argue with that, except to say there are no conventionally powered subs in the US Navy, so if they are not building any more reactors then they are also not building any more subs...

There is no new power generation reactor in the US.

They have new submarine reactors, but no new designs.

All of the boiling water reactor, same basic design.

Russia has at the moment two commercial grade design ( one abandoned) and two new basic design, one in final development phase, other in middle development phase.

The BREST would be good candidate for naval purposes as well. (this design was the reactor of the alphas)

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 am

Indeed, I think the suggestion that Russian and Soviet nuclear reactors are inferior to western designs and somehow less safe was only correct for a very short period of the cold war where the need to get subs into service was seen as more critical than getting the NPPs perfect.

The result was problems during peacetime with shoddy designs that were really not ready to be put in a boat yet, though in combat such considerations would be largely irrelevant.

The alternative would be to delay nuclear propulsion for a decade or two while they got it right and be seriously behind in submarine technology for a similar period.

Technology didn't magically fall from the sky for the Soviets... they didn't have all the best brains of Europe wanting to migrate away from war damaged Europe to economically booming America...

Cute irony considering their current reaction to migration in europe and the us... I mean they are supposed to be the morally enlightened civilised western world... you would think they would welcome people of all races because they are not racist... and poor people tend to work harder to get ahead in life... just a question of giving them the opportunities like education that they missed out on at home.... hahahahaha... maybe if the refugees pretended to be transgender they would be able to claim abuse from where ever they came from and get asylum easier...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:14 am