Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Project 949A: Oscar-II

Tsavo Lion

Re: Project 949A: Oscar-II

Post  Tsavo Lion on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:37 am

They were in the water all those 30 years. Doesn't matter they didn't go on patrol. Technology is from 30 years ago too as the structure. Granits are big, slow compared to newer russian missiles and with 30 years old technology.
    Their CGNs also been in the water for a long time w/o going anywhere, but being modernized & rearmed. Granits r still fast enough in LACM role. As was discussed earlier, they r being given 72 new 3M55 Oniks & 3M54 Klub missiles, replacing 24 Granits during their modernization. By the same token, old Delta SSBNs r not scrapped just because Boreys r being built. Later they may be used in other roles, as Oscars.
    http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/9928/russias-massive-arctic-research-submarine-will-be-the-worlds-longest
    The US converted 4 & keeps older Ohio SSBNs to SSGNs armed with 154 LACMs & SEALs, even though LA class SSNs were being built with VL tubes & now Block V Virginia-class SSNs. https://www.wearethemighty.com/us-builds-massive-russian-sub
    Tu-95s/22s & B-52s/1Bs r also decades old, but being modernized.
    China flies H-6Ks based on the Tu-16 with new engines & ALCMs.
    In detail, one of the reasons for the modernization of the Akula, Sierra, and Oscar-class submarines are delays in the project 885 Yasen-class SSGN program. This class of Russian attack submarines was supposed to replace older Soviet-era multi-purpose nuclear submarine models by 2020.
    Yet the exorbitant costs of the submarines — estimated to be twice as much as the new Borei-class SSBNs – has so far led only to the commissioning of one out of eight SSGNs, with a further three to four vessels likely to be completed by 2020. https://thediplomat.com/2015/10/russia-to-upgrade-12-nuclear-powered-subs/
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:55 am

Tsavo Lion wrote:
    China flies H-6Ks based on the Tu-16 with new engines & ALCMs.
    In detail, one of the reasons for the modernization of the Akula, Sierra, and Oscar-class submarines are delays in the project 885 Yasen-class SSGN program. This class of Russian attack submarines was supposed to replace older Soviet-era multi-purpose nuclear submarine models by 2020.
    Yet the exorbitant costs of the submarines — estimated to be twice as much as the new Borei-class SSBNs – has so far led only to the commissioning of one out of eight SSGNs, with a further three to four vessels likely to be completed by 2020. https://thediplomat.com/2015/10/russia-to-upgrade-12-nuclear-powered-subs/

Diplomat form 2015? ekhm they missed the point I am afraid. Russia cannot build more Yasens in parallel that builds now. Regardless what Diplomat says/does . Costis important but not major issue here MHO.
    BTW Kazan is like 50blns Rub so 750mlns $
    against 2blns $ Virginia is really exorbitant?
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:11 am

The costs r still a lot higher for multi-purpose Yasens than for modernized Oscars, & they can rejoin the fleet sooner; if they r going to get & use LHAs/LHDs & later CV/Ns, more pure SSNs will be needed, so modernizing &/ building new SSNs instead will also save more $ & time.
    Isos

Post  Isos on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Tomsk submarine from pacific fleet launches a single P-700 Granit at a target during exercice. Huge explosion near the target.

I think the missile comes from the left and goes through the target and explodes on the right side in the water. Penetration capability of the missile is huge because it needs to go through carriers. I think it goes to the bottom to hit sensible part of the ship that's why it explodes in the water.

It could also be an explosion of a torpedo that they have put in the video to hide the way Granit blows up. Anyway if that explode in a ship, the explosion is the size of a ship so even a carrier will have hard time dealling with this.

KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Isos wrote:Tomsk submarine from pacific fleet launches a single P-700 Granit at a target during exercice. Huge explosion near the target.

I think the missile comes from the left and goes through the target and explodes on the right side in the water. Penetration capability of the missile is huge because it needs to go through carriers. I think it goes to the bottom to hit sensible part of the ship that's why it explodes in the water.

It could also be an explosion of a torpedo that they have put in the video to hide the way Granit blows up. Anyway if that explode in a ship, the explosion is the size of a ship so even a carrier will have hard time dealling with this.

Absolute quality. Oscar is simply the best, dedicated SSGN in the world.
    Any ideas about the target used in the video?
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:01 pm

I doubt it even had a warhead, it just went right through target and hit the water on the other end. Add a warhead and whole thing would be erased.

Fine subs. I think that modified Borei would be good successor for these down the road.
    Isos

Post  Isos on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    I doubt it even had a warhead, it just went right through target and hit the water on the other end. Add a warhead and whole thing would be erased.

Fine subs. I think that modified Borei would be good successor for these down the road.

There is clearly an explosion. But it looks more like a torpedo that explodes than a missile.
    Singular_Transform

Post  Singular_Transform on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:09 pm

Isos wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

There is clearly an explosion. But it looks more like a torpedo that explodes than a missile.

It is the missile.

It should hit the ship with 1000 meter/sec, and at that speed the explosion will create a cone,pushing into the water the debris / component of missile, creating an explosion like waterfall.

It has 7 tons of launch mass, at least 4 tons impacted the ship.

It is visible as the ship pushed into the water due to the kinetic energy, and bouncing back.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm