Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+25
Sujoy
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
d_taddei2
Hole
PeeD
Isos
crod
nomadski
miketheterrible
dino00
yavar
lulldapull
JohninMK
Solncepek
Rodinazombie
max steel
George1
sepheronx
pacificfreeintel
flamming_python
nemrod
Hannibal Barca
GarryB
Werewolf
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
29 posters

Iran's Ballistic Missile Program

yavar

Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 Empty Re: Iran's Ballistic Missile Program

Post  yavar Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06 am

Iran the eight remembrance of Martyr IRGC aerospace chief Gen. Haj Haasan Tehrani Moghadam, Qaem solid fuel propellant ( missile, SLV )

yavar

Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 Empty Re: Iran's Ballistic Missile Program

Post  yavar Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Iran Salman composite third stage IRBM/ICBM Space thrust vectoring propellant vehicle for defeat missile defense solid fuel

Iran Raad-500 composite solid propellant, surface-to-surface ballistic missile Test

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:38 pm

Also all US bases and HQ in Europe and NATO HQ in Brussels. 'Only' a conventional warhead atm but could be a dirty nuke in a few months. Plus its on a Tel not just in a silo.

Y.N.M.S
    @ynms79797979
    this is a fact
    Iran says that the satellite launch today allows it to increase its missile range to 5,000 km. which means its ballistic missiles can now reach B52H bombers parked in US base Diego Garcia.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Iranian Iskander-M? Two on a truck and variable flight.

Weeks after surface-to-surface missiles bombarded two locations in Iraq that left scores of US soldiers with minor injuries the Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) and Iranian media started promoting a new short-range model called “Ra’ad 500.”

Of course, specific details about the missile weren’t disclosed but Iranian media claimed it had two special characteristics: a “moving nozzle” and a “composite” engine. What this meant was the Ra’ad 500’s rocket nozzle had thrust vector control allowing it to maneuver while in flight. Thrust vector control may seem innocuous but the Ra’ad 500’s structure includes an inertial navigation system and canards or winglets near the tip of the warhead. When combining all three (canards, inertial navigation, thrust vector) the result is a new high precision short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) that’s a generational leap compared to the older Fateh-series.

Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 Iranian-raad-500-missile-test-feb-2020

https://21stcenturyasianarmsrace.com/2020/05/06/this-iranian-missile-is-a-whole-lot-of-bad-news/
    nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:53 pm

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/161561/IRGC-to-use-long-range-anti-ship-ballistic-missiles-in-drill

I wonder what range they are talking about?  Will 1000 km range, put the F18 and F35 out of action?   I hope they say, what it is. This will make a difference.

BTW :  Many of you know that I have been screaming my face blue, with saying Iran needs a Nuke detterent. But I guess one reason Iranians have not done it, is because of increased sanctions. So I thought, why don't they leave a small fission device, in middle of Indian Ocean. Floating peaceful like. Then anonymously tell Trump to go pick it up. And send email to Boris and Microbe too. But leave no evidence you made it. This way the detterent can be made and shown without a fuss. Not as good as putting picture on TV,  to scare the kids and Grandma. But it may work. And Iran has plausible deniability. Russia and China can contest the source, and claim it is false flag, and carry on with trade. QED. I heard they sent a lump of Uranium metal to the Usrael, a few years back!

About these fires. It looks like they are deliberate. And target fuel depot and source of ignition. Iran can catch the arsonists by increasing manned security around such potential targets. A new job for 20 million army?
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:10 pm

JohninMK wrote:Iranian Iskander-M? Two on a truck and variable flight.

Weeks after surface-to-surface missiles bombarded two locations in Iraq that left scores of US soldiers with minor injuries the Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) and Iranian media started promoting a new short-range model called “Ra’ad 500.”

Of course, specific details about the missile weren’t disclosed but Iranian media claimed it had two special characteristics: a “moving nozzle” and a “composite” engine. What this meant was the Ra’ad 500’s rocket nozzle had thrust vector control allowing it to maneuver while in flight. Thrust vector control may seem innocuous but the Ra’ad 500’s structure includes an inertial navigation system and canards or winglets near the tip of the warhead. When combining all three (canards, inertial navigation, thrust vector) the result is a new high precision short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) that’s a generational leap compared to the older Fateh-series.

https://21stcenturyasianarmsrace.com/2020/05/06/this-iranian-missile-is-a-whole-lot-of-bad-news/

They have no need for short range missiles... their main threats are US, Saudi Arabia + UAE and Israel which are all at a hundreds if not thousands km away.

What they need is at least 1500km missiles.

The best being a cheap cruise missile that has a engine that can run on civilian kerosene in big numbers. One extanded range for Iran and one with 300-400km range for their proxies.

Short range missiles would be good for their proxies that are closer to the enemy.
    nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Agree. I read that range of F35 without refueling about 1400 km. But I also read that this anti-ship ballistic missile, covers entire Indian Ocean! I think a salvo of two or four against carrier, will scramble it's computer. Score a hit. Like Chinese DF21, on steroids.

Also good news about missile placements. Advancements about underground launch of missiles. From buried in sand position! A kind of sand Schkaval...... They could do same for SAM system.

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/161619/More-details-of-IRGC-s-unique-underground-ballistic-missile
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:29 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1323925319481499649

New ballistic missile. It seems to be a "revolver" type launcher.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:35 pm

Disguised as a refrigerator an Iranian SRBM Zolfaghar

Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 111
    Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 214
    Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 311
    Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 627
    Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 532
    Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 411

https://dambiev.livejournal.com/2128480.html
    crod
    crod

Post  crod Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 am

Nice, very nice.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:06 pm

What it coukd looks like. That's like an automatic rifle firing ballistic missiles.

Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 En_wci10

zepia likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:08 am

All they need to add is about 300 TOR vehicles and a similar number of S-300s and BUKs and their local version of BUK in as many numbers as they can make to protect the launch area.

The US would certainly try to nuke it though....
    crod
    crod

Post  crod Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:58 am

GarryB wrote:All they need to add is about 300 TOR vehicles and a similar number of S-300s and BUKs and their local version of BUK in as many numbers as they can make to protect the launch area.

Holy hell, you’d hope they could fire hundreds before being destroyed. Incredible setup but of no use if the exit holes are destroyed after the day one or so.

Very hard for Iran to protect against constant missile and bombing attack and yes, nukes possible with the same wmd dribble narrative justifying the use of such.
    Can just see the the tv news showing these wonderful graphics like the above, coupled with every expert in the field talking about how the nukes were the only option as ‘Hell Cave’ had the potential to blowup the planet, the moon and everything else besides.
    nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:23 am

Yes agree about firing positions being vulnerable. But as was explained, launching can take place from under camouflaged positions, not detectable by sattelite or sensors. I think this design can be improved by dispersing the missiles, say by stationing individual missiles, in individual launch tubes that are buried or camouflaged. Dispersed over vast areas, with lots of dummy sites.

Then they can all be fired simultaneously for good effect. Can not be taken out. Enemy AD will be overwhelmed. They can be put in automatic fire mode. Linked to long range radar. No human in the chain. Fire first and ask questions later. But of course a Nuclear warhead, can be fired first, to miss the target a little. As warning shot. No need to waste all the missiles, with stupid conventional warheads.

Iranians must show that, they are ready to turn the enemy's children, into nuclear Ash. And before you say, "....... Oh, they will do the same to your children......", I say to you, that we do not mind as much, but you do.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 pm

GarryB wrote:All they need to add is about 300 TOR vehicles and a similar number of S-300s and BUKs and their local version of BUK in as many numbers as they can make to protect the launch area.

They will use allbif that the first day... the underground base is only good to protect against a surprise attack.

But it's deep inside ground and protected by mountains. Even nuks would be of no use.

Only way to bomb it is to destroy the launch holes. But there must be a lot of them and hidden.
    crod
    crod

Post  crod Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:51 pm

nomadski wrote:
    Yes agree about firing positions being vulnerable. But as was explained, launching can take place from under camouflaged positions, not detectable by sattelite or sensors. I think this design can be improved by dispersing the missiles, say by stationing individual missiles, in individual launch tubes that are buried or camouflaged. Dispersed over vast areas, with lots of dummy sites.

Then they can all be fired simultaneously  for good effect. Can not be taken out. Enemy AD will be overwhelmed. They can be put in automatic fire mode. Linked to long range radar. No human in the chain. Fire first and ask questions later. But of course a Nuclear warhead, can be fired first, to miss the target a little. As warning shot. No need to waste all the missiles, with stupid conventional warheads.

Iranians must show that, they are ready to turn the enemy's children, into nuclear Ash. And before you say,  "....... Oh, they will do the same to your children......", I say to you, that we do not mind as much, but you do.

I didn’t realise that was possible, I thought the satellites would see and locate the areas. Granted I have zero understanding of this, I had assumed this was the case though which is why they use mobile delivery systems and trucks with hidden missiles.

Also you’d have to think those satellites have picked up the construction work and traffic? It is supposed to be one of the most satellite photographed countries in world.
    crod
    crod

Post  crod Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:53 pm

It’s an incredible set-up. Never seen anything like it.
    nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:26 pm

Yes it is possible to keep launch sites hidden. By taking a lot ( A LOT) of precautions. Nullifying use of   X-Ray TELESCOPES from space , X- Ray absorbing materials for launch tubes, geometry of launch tubes to stop resonance, multi- spectral  sensors, soil compositions and spoil dispersal, Radars that detect ground movement to 1 mm from space, stopping ground movements during construction.

The point is that,  if we reduce probability of Nuclear silo destruction in preemptive Nuclear strike by a modest 50%, then still no attack is possible without a crushing nuclear retaliation. I think it perfectly possible to make this detterent.

Iranians are now going ahead with further and higher enrichment. I think the sooner they display the detterent, the sooner we can all start to relax. The time is well passed, when playing with enrichment percentages is going to have a serious effect.

Iran has to do, what other nuclear weapon states did. Like North Korea. Put it on display. Then once culprits of these crime is identified. It is very easy to take them out, where they all gather. With no risk of serious escalation. I am waiting for the mountains to shake, or the mushroom cloud on TV or an ICBM Nuke launcher on parade, on Army day !

Disguised mobile launchers used to be more effective. But now with increase in real time space based observations, coupled with drone technology , then all objects on the ground can be easy targets for drone swarms and cruise missiles.

And the wealthier side to the war, will win the war of  drone versus AD systems. In this case the Americans will outproduce the Iranians. Does not matter how many drones Iranians take out with AD.

That is why I suggested that SAM  systems as well as BM, should be  camouflaged and placed in silo. Not subject to detection. As well as construction of Radar, with frangible antennae, extruding from the ground.

In this way Radar antennae become indestructible. BM are safe. If there are enough drones, then they will hit all targets. Trailers, trucks, containers, boxes, individual soldiers, disguised or otherwise. I remember during Iran / Iraq war, Saddam troops used to shoot at Date palm trees, with RPG. To destroy agriculture. They had so many.....

Edit : If the attack on Fakhrizadeh, was truly carried out remotely by sattelite communication to a ROV firing MG, then this sattelite up link technology, if correctly identified, will point to the culprit...
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:00 am

Well we have seen Russian technology that generates smoke screens several kms wide and long, and of course having multiple launch sites would also be useful too, but once it starts to be used it makes sense to just launch all the rockets you have as quickly as you can so there is nothing left to hit...

Concentration has value because it is centralised and easier to protect everything, but dispersal together with camouflage is also useful when the war breaks out where a few nuclear detonations wont collapse one facility... I would say IRBMs and IRCMs (ie intermediate range... ballistic and cruise missiles) could be mounted on trains that could be used to support such mountain facilities, but also disperse the launchers so one nuclear strike wont take out the launch location and cave in facilities around it.

Honestly I would think having a cave network for developing and building nuclear missiles is a good idea but that alone will make it a target... launching missiles from the place the missiles are made might be useful for filming that particular Bond movie, but in terms of production not so good... you could have train lines all around it and in one or two major tunnels you could have trains going in with goods and be replaced by trains coming out with the same carriage loadout in the same colours but the train that went in has stopped and is offloading resources for the secret base and production facility... shift the order of the carriages and then the next train with the next lot of resources or food and water for the underground city you are operating there can have the same order carriages (colour and size) as the train sitting waiting to leave when the new loaded train enters...

Would need serious planning of course, and of course these trains can't include passenger trains that the CIA could sent people through to check... or to time how long it should take to get through.

Actually you could build a siding inside that you claim is to allow trains to pass each other ... ie two trains head into the tunnel from opposite directions at the same time... one turns off to a parallel rail line and stops while the other train continues down the main line and out the tunnel while the train coming the other way goes back onto the main line and continues out the other end... all passenger trains remain on the main line and never go down the parallel track that goes into its own tunnel where things can get off loaded not visible from the main line the passenger trains use.

Trains and secret underground bases... reminds me of Half Life....
    nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:51 pm

As much of the detterence force, should be under the mountains. Including manned stations production and assembly and distribution. Electric wheeled  transport. I used to think that Tank transporters above ground, could be based on Train and Rail. But one hit on Rail, disables the system.  Then Iran brought in Road transporters for Tanks. Many Roads to take out. Very difficult. The transporters can possibly use dirt tracks also, in flat desert terrain .

Ofcourse all this material has to be taken underground. Normal Road network allows this. Entry points can be disguised as warehouses, residences and schools and Rural farm houses and civilian construction sites. Any heat signature or emission from underground facility, will be attributed to normal activity in such buildings.

Stationing single missiles, dispersed, follow the same pattern. After building constructed, and some " people" moved in , then missile placements can be built, inside building. And Missile parts assembled inside tube , by sections. Guards dressed as civilians, can " live" inside. Sattelite provides zero info. Once underground facility built, then excavations underground can continue to expand the network, taking care not to disturb local topography. The spoil can be taken out and dumped at Sea.
    PeeD

Post  PeeD Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:36 pm

This kind of complexes are not made to withstand airpower deployed bunker busters, but designed for blast pressure levels that occur due to nearby (~100m CEP) nuclear explosions.

They become as useless as a empty ICBM silo once all their missiles are launched.

Until a SEAD/DEAD campaign neutralizes IADS and reach those bases, they have already completed their mission.

Their benefit is the crude and simple exposed parts and blast deflection, making them much less sensitive than a ICBM silo.

So hiding them is not the plan. Keeping operational capability after x number of ICBM/SLBM delivered thermonuclear weapons is the design criteria.

Iran has no illusions that Israel and the U.S would resort to nuclear weapons, once these complexes start to launch their missile arsenal.
    nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:35 pm

To rely on AD to repel an attack, until missiles launched. Yes if AD is effective. But what if it is not?  Then these complexes protect against Nuke blast?  A preemptive strike? OK fine.  So we assume they know approximately where complexes are. What if we are wrong?  And they know exactly ? Then direct hits will disable?

Even if single silo design used, no protection against direct hit!  Therefore useless to take the chance and rely on AD to allow firing. Must fire all missiles simultaneously, before or as soon as enemy missiles are fired. Therefore  single missile silo design, allowing for simultaneous firing of all missiles are better.

You said Iran expects a Nuke strike?  Yet Iran has no Nukes. Therefore Iran will not only be defeated. But completely destroyed. If Iran had Nukes, by now they would have displayed it. They came under attack many times. Therefore pointless now having missiles, or any other weapon. Can not use them  because of nuclear counterstrike.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2020/12/01/2401394/cabinet-disagrees-with-bill-on-iran-s-withdrawal-from-additional-protocol

Iranians are under a great delusion. Even if Americans or Usraelis do not attack. Then Turks could, over Caucases. And they are backed by NATO. Or Saudis could, over Yemen. And they are backed by Americans. Or Pakistan could, they may be backed by China against India. Or India could to stop China and Pakistan link to Iran. All these states have Nukes or have Nuke bases. Yet Iran has no Nukes  and can not fight any of them. And they will all descend like Wolves. And Iranians are playing with Enrichment percentages. Or they mix up defence with religion or poetry.

Defence brings peace and stability and economic prosperity. But economic prosperity alone does not bring security or peace . In fact, even if successful, by bringing wealth, encourages the greedy and envious to wage war. Even in the case of China, with enormous wealth potential for the Yanks, still there are threats of war. Without Nukes, China would be dust. Iran has far less importance economically for any of these countries. But far greater value, as defeated and captured territory, to serve their own interests.

The Iranian leaders should know this. And they do know this. Yet no effective defence. Just play with percentages. Instead Iranian scientists should be studying how powerful a Nuke warhead is needed to melt the White House, and all occupants.

https://youtu.be/qI3K6p4LVc0

https://youtu.be/6uq6J5TB5ow
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:54 pm

Iran's Ballistic Missile Program - Page 4 Eryr_m10
    Guided warhead in action.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:55 pm

The best video I have found of the combined drone ballistic missile exercise just completed in central Iran. Video at link

spriters
    @neccamc1
    ·
    14h
    To see the accuracy of Iranian missile strikes, look closely at these two minutes, missiles that accurately hit predetermined targets a few meters apart ... This is a clear message to regional and trans-regional enemies.

https://twitter.com/neccamc1/status/1350214031710298112

Plus following the naval exercise

spriters
    @neccamc1
    Commander of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps said one of #Iran’s main defense strategies is to destroy hostile aircraft carriers and warships with long-range ballistic missiles

⁃ We continue to carry out strategic operations, tracking enemy targets at a distance of 1800 km;
    ⁃ We have the ability to destroy enemy targets in the depths of the Indian Ocean in the shortest possible time.

The Iranian anti-ship ballistic missiles fired were of the Qadr and Emad type. Only Iran and China in the world have this ballistic anti-ship capability. Major General Bagheri, Chief of the Joint Staff of the Armed Forces, was also present on the second day of the exercise.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:55 am

A ballistic missile is a bit like an artillery shell... it follows a fairly fixed trajectory which makes it much easier to shoot down for defences... for instance a 1,800km range ballistic missile could be defeated by BUK and S-300, but also by newer systems like S-350, S-400, which renders them not as effective as a weapon like Zircon.

The difference is that Zircon is like a bomber... you can't just track it for a few seconds and work out its flight path and speed and then calculate its entire flight path like you can with a ballistic weapon like a bullet or artillery shell.

Obviously we are not talking about a dumb artillery shell... it will have terminal guidance to accurately hit a moving target, but the manouvering it performs to hit a moving target is nothing like the manouvering an aircraft might perform to evade missiles.

More importantly the Zircon is moving three times faster than an SR-71, which makes it a tricky target because its flight path is not predictable.

Not suggesting ballistic weapons are useless, and certainly if you launch quite a few at once and use jammers and decoys to make interception more difficult then they should be a very serious threat to any navy stupid enough to take on China or Iran.

It would be very interesting to see what sort of damage they would do... coming down vertically they would easily punch through the entire structure of any ship simply because of the speeds they would come in at... normally that would be a bad thing for an anti ship missile because they could pass through one side and out the other and explode after exiting the target, but coming down nearly vertically and exploding underneath the target would be devastating in the same way torpedoes are made more effective by exploding below a ship.

Previously a torpedo would hit the side of a ship and explode... this is devastating because water does not compress so effectively the spherical explosion of the torpedo collapses the side of the ship and blows into it... the half facing the ship collapses the skin and structure, but the side of the blast going back out to sea hits the sea which does not compress, which redirects that blast back into the ship making an explosion against the hull below the waterline very effective...

The main problem is that even a really big warhead will only make a hole so big and with compartmentalisation such a flooded area can be sealed off and if you are a huge ship like a 100K ton carrier then having a 20m hole in your side and 500 tons of water in a compartment that used to be empty is not going to sink you.

The solution was to set the torpedo to run below the ship and as it passes under to explode without contacting the ship at all.

What... you say... that is just stupid... it wont do any damage at all... the ship will just be like it is in a spa pool with lots of bubbles shooting up its ass.

No.

A large warhead exploding underwater forms an enormous gas bubble that rises up and lifts the ship out of the water... but ships are long and narrow and normally when you lift a ship you support it and lift it evenly... a huge gas bubble lifting the ship in the middle of the ocean will break the spine of the ship and snap it in half making sinking her vastly more likely.

A hypersonic ballistic warhead coming down vertically through all the decks of a carrier and exploding underneath her should break her and make her sink most of the time... would be fun if the US took a few old carriers and let them test their ballistic missiles on them to see what would actually happen... of course the US wont consider that... but China might have a few real carriers that are superfluous to needs in 5-10 years time and they could create a new coral reef and test their ballistic anti ship missiles at the same time perhaps...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 pm