Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+6
JohninMK
max steel
Werewolf
Mike E
GarryB
George1
10 posters

Egyptian Navy: News

GarryB
    GarryB

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 Empty Re: Egyptian Navy: News

Post  GarryB Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:19 am

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 Peckin12

ahmedfire, magnumcromagnon, zardof, starman and lyle6 like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:39 pm

ahmedfire wrote:Nice video , this supposed to give more work experience to the Egyptian Engineers and workers to build such corvettes .

One of the better parts in that video that George posted of the Gowind assembly in Egypt is actually a couple of parts besides the entire video of the sections being put together is the part where they had to insert what I believe is one of 2 propeller shafts. That is such precision work with very large and heavy material with no margin for error whatsoever otherwise it creates a vibration that results in a very bad destruction! lol. The other part was at the end for a while I could never figure out what that yellow mini sub thing that they lowered from the stern until I realized it's the towed sonar. At least that's what it seems to make the most sense.

New pics of the new MEKO A200 910 for the Egyptian Navy

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 EzvNPv0WEAAbrsr?format=jpg&name=small

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 EzvNQLrXoAIpcBu?format=jpg&name=medium

ahmedfire likes this post

ahmedfire
    ahmedfire

Post  ahmedfire Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:20 pm

I realized it's the towed sonar. At least that's what it seems to make the most sense.

Yes it's Captas towed sonar ,variable depth one to detect submarines at deeper depths at Sea State 6 .The ship also has other hull monted sonar at the bottom which detects subs and mines at close depths .

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 5q7d6f10

Gomig-21 and joker88 like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:38 pm

ahmedfire wrote:
    I realized it's the towed sonar. At least that's what it seems to make the most sense.

Yes it's Captas towed sonar ,variable depth one to detect submarines at deeper depths at Sea State 6 .The ship also has other hull monted sonar at the bottom which detects subs and mines at close depths .

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 5q7d6f10

Very cool Mr. Ahmedfire.  That looks more like a Meko than a Gowind but I bet the latter has the same technology, especially the towed sonar as it was clearly shown in a quick clip in one of the videos.

The other thing that is crazy that they must do periodically as part of an organized maintenance program is even with all that bottom paint against marine growth, it's still not 100% effective (ask me how I know lol) and the frogmen who have to clean the bottoms of these ships periodically have to be careful around those hull-mounted sonars especially when scraping those ever so annoying barnacles.

ahmedfire and TMA1 like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 am

Wow, how awesome are the Italians? The first modern era land attack system delivered to Egypt since the Russian Frogs and North Korean missiles. Aside from the longer range Aster 30, the Volcano is an offensive missile. I guess we can say the SCALPs were first, but for the navy, this is huge.

Egyptian Navy takes delivery of Aster-30 Missiles and Vulcano Munitions for FREMM frigates

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 Maxresdefault-1

The Egyptian Navy has reportedly taken delivery of ASTER-30 vertically launched surface-to-air missiles and Vulcano precision-guided, gun-launched munitions to equip them on the service’s FREMM Bergamini-class frigates.

https://www.globaldefensecorp.com/2...les-and-vulcano-munitions-for-fremm-frigates/

ahmedfire, zardof and starman like this post

ahmedfire
    ahmedfire

Post  ahmedfire Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:32 pm

Maneuvers during the opening of a new naval base .

GarryB, zardof, Gomig-21 and TMA1 like this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Egypt received the fourth German-built submarine project 209/1400Mod

July 8th, 21:51
    On July 7, 2021, in Kiel (Germany) at the German shipyard Kieler Werft of the thyssenkrupp Marine Systems association (TKMS, the former Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH / HDW shipyard, part of the thyssenkrupp concern), a ceremony was held for the transfer of the fourth built for them to the Egyptian naval forces. diesel-electric submarine S 44 project 209 / 1400Mod. The ceremony of handover to the Egyptian Navy of the diesel-electric submarine S 44 of project 209 / 1400Mod, built at the German shipyard Kieler Werft TKMS.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 90102010
    Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 90106110

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4347645.html

ahmedfire and Gomig-21 like this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:43 pm

The lead Egyptian frigate of the German construction of the MEKO 200EN project at sea

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4510714.html

Gomig-21 and lancelot like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:31 pm

ahmedfire wrote:Maneuvers during the opening of a new naval base .

Pause it at minute 2:47 and take a close look at the camo on those two MiG-29Ms banking and zipping by.  Let me know what you think and why you suppose they're in that color when the rest of the fleet appears to be in that light & dark blueish/grey?  Very interesting since that seemed to be the original color camo and they appeared to have changed it to the blue upon delivery.  But this exercise was last year in Egypt and not back in 2016-2017 when they were delivering them.

Curious to hear what you think.   Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1f60f

George1 wrote:The lead Egyptian frigate of the German construction of the MEKO 200EN project at sea

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4510714.html

There is news on the local front that the military is seriously considering and negotiating with DCNS and the French government for a possible future plan to acquire these three platforms.

Barracuda Submarine (considerably larger than the Type 209s & of course the Romeos currently in the EN.)  Basically a blue water submarine.  

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1649376398549-png

A PA-2 French aircraft carrier with conventional CATOBAR for takeoffs and 3 wires for arresting cables.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1649376417572-png

20 Naval Rafale M.  They'll likely shift 2 of the 8 E-2C Hawkeyes to the carrier for AWACs (if they go through with it, of course) and not sure yet what they're thinking for utility helicopters on that deck.  I'd like to see them get the NH-90 also for SAR duties or the latest version of the Sea King but not sure they still make those.  

Pretty ambitious to say the least.  Now let's hear it, lol.

Rafale M with anti-corrosive paint, I think it has beefier landing gear than the land-based one for the pounding of carrier landings and of course, an arresting hook.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1649377736348-png

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1649376433128-png

EDIT:  I originally mistakenly labeled the potential submarine as the Scorpene but that was wrong.  It's the Barracuda and I have edited the post and corrected it.

Last edited by Gomig-21 on Sun May 07, 2023 12:14 pm; edited 4 times in total

GarryB, ahmedfire and zardof like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:40 pm

The Most Recent picture of the Egyptian Navy's newest frigate member, the first of 6 MEKO A200EN #904 named ENS Al-Aziz. Appears to be wrapping up its sea trials which started last month or so and could be delivered soon.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FVn7wWZWIAIlaue?format=jpg&name=medium

ahmedfire and TMA1 like this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:01 pm

Egypt received the lead German-built frigate of the MEKO 200EN project

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 98505410
    Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 98507910

ahmedfire, zardof and Gomig-21 like this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 pm

Egypt received three US Cyclone-class patrol boats

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4675545.html

Gomig-21 likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun May 07, 2023 6:42 am

George1 wrote:Egypt received the lead German-built frigate of the MEKO 200EN project

Great pics and updates, George.

Sorry I had already posted those.  These are newer ones - Meko wrapping up the hull construction. The bulbous bows always make me wonder how the frig they came up with that crazy feature.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FteeFEsX0AAtaH3?format=jpg&name=large

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FteeECFWYAEWqOd?format=jpg&name=large

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 Ftt0ikpXgAUKbxK?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited by Gomig-21 on Sun May 07, 2023 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

George1 likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun May 07, 2023 9:20 am

A PA-2 French aircraft carrier with conventional CATOBAR for takeoffs and 3 wires for arresting cables.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1649376417572-png

20 Naval Rafale M.  They'll likely shift 2 of the 8 E-2C Hawkeyes to the carrier for AWACs (if they go through with it, of course) and not sure yet what they're thinking for utility helicopters on that deck.  I'd like to see them get the NH-90 also for SAR duties or the latest version of the Sea King but not sure they still make those.  

Pretty ambitious to say the least.  Now let's hear it, lol.

Rafale M with anti-corrosive paint, I think it has beefier landing gear than the land-based one for the pounding of carrier landings and of course, an arresting hook.
    [/quote]

BTW, as crazy as this aircraft carrier sounds for the EGY Navy, despite having over 2000km of coast to protect, I think this would be a HUUGE burden on the EGY navy.  14+6 Rafale Ms included and they haven't even finalized the order for the Russian Kamov Ka-52 Katrans for the 2 Mistrals yet!?  

That carrier would cost over a $billion at least to operate per year and why?  Against Ethiopia to protect Egypt's water supply?  They can easily do that with their AF right now so that's not it.  More blue water expansion to counter those pesky Turks and protect their EEZ?  Maybe but why all the new frigates then?

But if this comes to fruition along with the 24+ Eurofighter Typhoons (and possibly more MiG-35 - I think the shame is the Su-35SE is a gone deal) would suck royally since the hourly cost of operating a EFT is around $65,000 without the cost of any armament which is beyond absurd considering they just ordered 30 more Rafales, which average a halfway decent $18K per hour and should just stick with them.   Granted they'll most likely retire the 15 or so Mirage 2K, but that hardly will compensate for the ETFs.  Yikes.

An aircraft carrier and billions of $ operational costing Typhoons will put us in the poor house forever!  This is scary dangerous, but everyone is saying trust in Sisi.

Last edited by Gomig-21 on Sun May 07, 2023 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun May 07, 2023 9:54 am

Post number 114 gives me post 109 deja vu... Embarassed
    Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun May 07, 2023 11:33 am

GarryB wrote:Post number 114 gives me post 109 deja vu...   Embarassed

Yeah sorry about that. I only reposted what I was kinda excited about with the possibility of acquiring the aircraft despite even having apprehension about it then, but now that worry is in full mode so I was just reminding people of that post. I'll delete most of the pics and leave just the one of the carrier so it's not too repetitive.

What's your opinion on that entire issue?

GarryB likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun May 07, 2023 12:39 pm

ahmedfire wrote:Maneuvers during the opening of a new naval base .

BTW, President Sisi and the Prince of the UAE Mohamed Bin Zayed were hanging in the Mistral that was in still mode outside the firing zone using its double fully 360 degree spinning prop pods, huge bow thrusters and gyroscope to keep it perfectly still without a deployed anchor (state of the art) and they watched what was an incredible live fire exercise like not too many before except for when they conduct rapid response to cross the Suez into Sina to stop a repetitive Jewish invasion. That's when they go nuts, but all the live munitions and almost every single piece of military asset was used here except a few such as the S-300 and other armored units and land forces etc. must of cost a pretty penny, but that's what it's all about and still put on a hell of a show. Can't sit on their asses and wait till the real thing comes. There was also the Mi-24s they didn't show that came in blasting in the longer version lol. The Ka-52 was guarding the SeaKing deploying forces on the ship and kept circling the ship at a nose-down attitude. Pretty cool stuff. The Russians must be proud the way EGY pilots flying the Ka-52. The real video is about 3 times as long with A LOT more firepower. Good stuff.

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 08, 2023 1:43 am

I'll delete most of the pics and leave just the one of the carrier so it's not too repetitive.

Sorry, I actually like those photos of the Rafale... those photos made it look good... like a real modern fighter... some of the photos of it it looks like a Yak-130 trainer or Hawk trainer.

They are expensive, but unlike your other western options like the Eurofighter and the Gripen, they probably actually get the job done and are actually carrier capable so you probably really only had the Rafale to pick from.

Certainly better than any VSTOL option.... when looking at aircraft carriers so many look at how many planes they can carry and how far they can fly, but really it should be about the quality of their AWACS and for the moment this carrier with Hawkeyes is better than the Kuznetsov with its Ka-31.

Carriers are not about invasions, they are about providing situational awareness down to the wave tops for your ships via airborne radar, and the ability to detect a radar blip and send some aircraft out at 800km/h+ to go and check it out quickly.

zardof and Gomig-21 like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Mon May 08, 2023 2:40 am

GarryB wrote:
    I'll delete most of the pics and leave just the one of the carrier so it's not too repetitive.

Sorry, I actually like those photos of the Rafale... those photos made it look good... like a real modern fighter... some of the photos of it it looks like a Yak-130 trainer or Hawk trainer.

They are expensive, but unlike your other western options like the Eurofighter and the Gripen, they probably actually get the job done and are actually carrier capable so you probably really only had the Rafale to pick from.

Certainly better than any VSTOL option.... when looking at aircraft carriers so many look at how many planes they can carry and how far they can fly, but really it should be about the quality of their AWACS and for the moment this carrier with Hawkeyes is better than the Kuznetsov with its Ka-31.

Carriers are not about invasions, they are about providing situational awareness down to the wave tops for your ships via airborne radar, and the ability to detect a radar blip and send some aircraft out at 800km/h+ to go and check it out quickly.

Problem is our navy has grown exponentially with very modern frigates and patrol boats and even the two mistrals.  I feel this would not only be an operational headache, but also completely unnecessary since EAF bases are scattered around the entire country and can make easy ad fast headway towards any naval thread along with the ships etc.  Plus the main goal is really to protect the EEZ and gas platforms in the Mediterranean and Sisi has already made efforts with all the modern acquisitions to protect them really from not too many threats.  I feel it would be a HUUUUGE financial and operational burden even if they needed to get close to Ethiopia to protect future waters.  Which BTW, many predicted that was the primary reason for acquiring the Su-35S.  Let's hope it doesn't come to fruition.  I think it would be a stupid purchase despite how prestigious it might be.

TMA1 likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:32 pm

Looks like the Egyptian Navy 2nd MEKO A200- class frigate ENS Al Qahhar #905 is finalizing its sea trials and will be headed to Alexandria within the next few days. Appears to have black paint along the area where either the primary diesel engine exhaust exits the hull on the side to hide the soot marks I was referring to earlier. IIRC it has 3 engines, 2 for the main propulsion system and a 3rd diesel at that location for fuel conservation during long voyages which secretes a sooty exhaust that stains that hull area. So they've painted it black. Visible in the first pic.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FyBO5umWYAAuKeg?format=jpg&name=large

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FyBO6afX0AIXSZs?format=jpg&name=large

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FyBO7YRXwAIpGPc?format=jpg&name=large

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FyBO8csXwAMO8ps?format=jpg&name=large

GarryB likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:19 am

MEKO A-200 #905 preparing to be recieved by the Egyptian Navy which will possess and extensive range of both, defensive and offensive capabilities unlike most of the defensive naval frigate we've been relegated to having.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 Img-20230526-wa00964550033689207809241

ahmedfire and George1 like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:23 am

[size=15]U.S. Naval Forces Central Command/U.S. 5th Fleet

@US5thFleet

·
    Jun 2

[/size]
    Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1f1fa-1f1f8Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 2693Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1f1ea-1f1ec
    Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 1f4f8: Littoral combat ship USS Indianapolis (LCS 17) and Egyptian navy guided-missile frigate ENS Alexandria (F911) sail together during a combined patrol in the Red Sea, May 23. Sailors practiced navigational maneuvers to enhance interoperability.

Egyptian Navy: News - Page 5 FxjFQiEWIAUw3_q?format=jpg&name=medium

ahmedfire likes this post

ahmedfire
    ahmedfire

Post  ahmedfire Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:08 am

Alexandria Shipyard has built new Meko-A200 Corvette (German licensed )

GarryB and George1 like this post

ahmedfire
    ahmedfire

Post  ahmedfire Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:40 am

Al-Qadeer Meko-A200 frigate arrives in Egypt's Alexandria from Germany

The move comes as part of the Navy’s recent efforts to modernize and develop its fleet and infrastructure, including docks, bases, and other services.

Two weeks ago, the Al-Qadeer was handed over to the Egyptian Navy in Bremerhaven, Germany.

The Meko A200 class frigates, designed by Blohm+Voss (now part of TKMS), are renowned for their modular and adaptable design.

These frigates are 121 metres long and 16.4 metres wide; they have a draft of 4.4 metres and a displacement of 3,700 tons. They can reach a maximum speed of 28 knots.

They are armed with a Leonardo 127/64 LW 127 mm main gun, 16 MM-40 Exocet block three anti-ship missiles, 32 VLS for MBDA VL MICA NG surface-to-air missiles, and 2×2 MU90 Eurotorp torpedoes designed for anti-submarine warfare targets.

Egypt received the first two MEKO-A200 frigates: Al-Aziz in October 2022 and Al-Qahhar in May 2023.

In early December, President El-Sisi inaugurated the construction of the fourth and final MEKO A-200 during the third edition of the Egypt Defence Expo (EDEX 2023) in Cairo.

The fourth frigate, the Al-Gabar, is being built under license in Egypt’s Alexandria shipyards and is scheduled for delivery in October 2025.

Egypt has previously also acquired four submarines from TKMS.

https://english.ahram.org.eg/News/514879.aspx

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:50 am