Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+65
PapaDragon
Stealthflanker
Vann7
Strizh
Khepesh
Bolt
k@llashniKoff
cheesfactory
alexZam
AbsoluteZero
EKS
Acheron
KoTeMoRe
smerch24
xeno
Rmf
victor1985
2SPOOKY4U
Brovich
cracker
mack8
Cpt Caz
OminousSpudd
Dima
ult
akd
chicken
Big_Gazza
GarryB
mutantsushi
fragmachine
RTN
NickM
Mike E
sweetflowers365
calripson
Asf
Vympel
AZZKIKR
runaway
magnumcromagnon
etaepsilonk
Morpheus Eberhardt
NationalRus
As Sa'iqa
Sujoy
Department Of Defense
Regular
gaurav
AJ-47
AlfaT8
Viktor
Werewolf
collegeboy16
Russian Patriot
flamming_python
Cyberspec
Austin
Mindstorm
KomissarBojanchev
medo
Zivo
George1
TR1
TheArmenian
69 posters

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Page 57 of the Ground Forces thread in. I can't post the link since i'm a newbie... cry
    Acheron
    Acheron

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 Empty Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

Post  Acheron Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:21 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Acheron wrote:This is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but does anyone know why the tarp-covered APSs on the Kurganets IFV are asymmetric?
    There seem to be 3 of them on the left side and only 2 on the right (one is missing where that strange depression in the add-on NERA/ERA/composite/spaced(?) side skirt is located). That seems strange, since there should be no azimuthal bias of incoming rpgs/atgms, apart from the typical expectation that the majority of threats should come from the frontal ~90 degrees.

If there are 5 of them covering all arcs of the vehicle (and some distance upwards too) - then that means that each launcher will cover exactly 72 degrees; assuming all launchers are uniform.

If so, then putting 3 on one side and 2 on the other is perfectly workable for such a configuration; the ones on the right side will cover a 144 degree arc and the ones on the other side will cover the rest.

It's also possible for instance, that 4 launchers are dedicated to threats along the lateral plane; with each covering 90 degrees; and one is dedicated to hitting top-attack threats. In which case the 5th could be placed pretty much anywhere on the hull

1) I guess that could work. It still offends my aesthetical sensibility. For example, if the designers of a certain tank decide to put an n+1 amount of smoke dispensers on one side of the cannon and n-1 on the other and then state: "That's ok, one of the launchers on one side are inclined in such a manner that it effectively mimics the missing launcher on the other", the obvious question would be: what is stopping you from following the KISS rule and making them symmetric?

2) If the tarp-covered protrusions are actually APS charge dispensers, would it not be better to place the one that is responsible for top-attack munitions on the turret?  That way, there would be less interference from the turret and chassis.
    xeno

Post  xeno Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Austin wrote:Can any one post picture of 30 mm gum module on Kurgnets/Boomerang and the future 45 mm module , I dont seem to find it , Thank You

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 Epoha-10
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Thank You do you have the pictures of the poster on the right
    Cpt Caz
    Cpt Caz

Post  Cpt Caz Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:12 pm

Austin wrote:Thank You do you have the pictures of the poster on the right

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 VBq7wnR
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Thank You russia
    cracker

Post  cracker Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:01 pm

what's the armament of boomerang? turret looks small. KPVT ?
    xeno

Post  xeno Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Russians have no time to produce and test more Epoha-lites for boomerangs...
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:43 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    AJ-47 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    cracker wrote:
    VBCI will get Jaguar update with 40mm chaingun+ATGM probably a Spike variation since the MMP isn't yet issue free.

Yoy right about the ATGM, but the 40mm is not a chaine gun. It has telescopic ammo.

Entirely true for the T40 turret my bad. However, while that's true for the demonstrator, we still don't know what the final ECPA/EBRC turret will incorporate. THE AMX 56 was designed with 20mm in mind, it ended up with a .50 cal. Same for the T40 ATMG's. Started MMP, now France's looking for Spike solution. I hope they can keep the cost down and have the telescopic solution. Because when all the current problems die out, France will be yet again a great shopping place and cooperation partner.

BTW the engine placement is fairly conservative.

Oh and this for comparison.

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 000127644

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 Blinde_1514907

I think the French have sold to Russia FAR more than just a couple of boats. Am pretty sure the T-14 has also more French input that we might believe.
    Armata, Kurganets, and Boomerang have French input?
    Laughable assertion, tell us why you think so.
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:46 pm

xeno wrote:Russians have no time to produce and test more Epoha-lites for boomerangs...

Why is that? Unmanned turrets are more simple to produce than Boomerang. I don't see why they would have a problem making them in time for May 9.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 pm

2SPOOKY4U wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    AJ-47 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    cracker wrote:
    VBCI will get Jaguar update with 40mm chaingun+ATGM probably a Spike variation since the MMP isn't yet issue free.

Yoy right about the ATGM, but the 40mm is not a chaine gun. It has telescopic ammo.

Entirely true for the T40 turret my bad. However, while that's true for the demonstrator, we still don't know what the final ECPA/EBRC turret will incorporate. THE AMX 56 was designed with 20mm in mind, it ended up with a .50 cal. Same for the T40 ATMG's. Started MMP, now France's looking for Spike solution. I hope they can keep the cost down and have the telescopic solution. Because when all the current problems die out, France will be yet again a great shopping place and cooperation partner.

BTW the engine placement is fairly conservative.

Oh and this for comparison.

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 000127644

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 Blinde_1514907

I think the French have sold to Russia FAR more than just a couple of boats. Am pretty sure the T-14 has also more French input that we might believe.
    Armata, Kurganets, and Boomerang have French input?
    Laughable assertion, tell us why you think so.

Since RTD has been working with Russia since 2011 on the Atom program and we have a Boomerang that has striking similarities with both the VBCI and the AMV from Patria. Given the Patria/Rosomak was never a factor.

Since we have Igor Sevastianov saying in the middle of june that the Atom was ongoing. And since the final product has one similarity too many to be simple coincidence.

The day the Boomerang will be open to laymen eyes, the ergonomics will betray the RTD origins. And there is nothing wrong with that, as long as the Russian MOD finds everything it needs on the Boomerang.
    Acheron
    Acheron

Post  Acheron Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:09 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Since RTD has been working with Russia since 2011 on the Atom program and we have a Boomerang that has striking similarities with both the VBCI and the AMV from Patria. Given the Patria/Rosomak was never a factor.

Since we have Igor Sevastianov saying in the middle of june that the Atom was ongoing. And since the final product has one similarity too many to be simple coincidence.

The day the Boomerang will be open to laymen eyes, the ergonomics will betray the RTD origins. And there is nothing wrong with that, as long as the Russian MOD finds everything it needs on the Boomerang.

Alternatively, the Russians could have simply created a vehicle that is externally similar to VBCI because, let's face it, all of the contemporary 8x8 AFVs that fulfill the same purpose (VBCI, Patria, Boxer, Pandur, Freccia, etc...) tend to look like clones of each other from a superficial outside perspective. We won't really know for certain until the full specifications and the interior components of Boomerang are fully disclosed for comparison with its foreign compatriots (or until someone on the design team will confirm it).

medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:18 pm

Russia never tested Patria, but they well tested Freccia and Centauro from Italy, they have them in trials. Of course they also have a lot of experiences with BTR-80 and BTR-90, so they just take the best solution from them all for new Boomerang. I'm not sure if VBCI could swim, but Boomerang could.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Acheron wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Alternatively, the Russians could have simply created a vehicle that is externally similar to VBCI because, let's face it, all of the contemporary 8x8 AFVs that fulfill the same purpose (VBCI, Patria, Boxer, Pandur, Freccia, etc...) tend to look like clones of each other from a superficial outside perspective. We won't really know for certain until the full specifications and the interior components of Boomerang are fully disclosed for comparison with its foreign compatriots (or until someone on the design team will confirm it).

I agree in full and subscribe to your assessment that form will follow function. However, as I said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were to learn that indeed there is RTD DNA within Boomerang. And again, this isn't a jab at the Russian MIC, quite the contrary. The project looks solid and exceptionally well finished, especially when compared with the Chinese VN-1/ZDBL range.

Plus check the production shots from NExter and compare the cutouts with the Russian Boomerang.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:56 pm

cracker wrote:what's the armament of boomerang? turret looks small. KPVT ?

I believe than Epoha turets are ultimatively meant for APC version of Bumerang, Kruganets and Armata. I think that we have yet to see IFV version of

those three Very Happy

btw - Soviet red flags looks epic !
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1 - Page 33 E5bd23f68a49

Side panorama, and backup cameras.
    AJ-47

Post  AJ-47 Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Viktor wrote:
    cracker wrote:what's the armament of boomerang? turret looks small. KPVT ?

I believe than Epoha turets are ultimatively meant for APC version of Bumerang, Kruganets and Armata. I think that we have yet to see IFV version of those three Very Happy
    btw - Soviet red flags looks epic !

I think that the APCs for the entire 3 families have the 14.5 mm gun, and the IFVs have the 30mm gun.
    I believe that later in time, and mabee it will take 5 years, the IFVs will have the 57mm gun, and the APCs will have the 45mm gun.
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:08 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Acheron wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

I agree in full and subscribe to your assessment that form will follow function. However, as I said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were to learn that indeed there is RTD DNA within Boomerang. And again, this isn't a jab at the Russian MIC, quite the contrary. The project looks solid and exceptionally well finished, especially when compared with the Chinese VN-1/ZDBL range.

Plus check the production shots from NExter and compare the cutouts with the Russian Boomerang.

Looking like a parallelogram on wheels does not mean it has "RTD DNA within Boomerang" and neither that is was developed in the same time window of Atom also signifies RTD input.

KoTeMoRe wrote:And again, this isn't a jab at the Russian MIC, quite the contrary.

Implying that Frenchies had a hand in developing anything is always an insult, no matter how you intend it.

cracker

Post  cracker Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:15 am

what's the "bolts" or rivets things, are they... bolts or rivets? Very Happy

So, the armour seems solid: at least a very good base hull (aluminium or steel?) + a total coverage of this quite thick (looks like 5-6cm) panels, probably composed of glass fiber, plastics, or ceramics, sandwitched in high hardness steel? What's to be expected, like imune to 12.7 AP everywhere, and to 30mm APDS frontally? And there is probably a good spall liner inside as well

45mm for the APC variant seems too much work, it's probably almost as big as the 57mm... I think 30mm is fine for APC.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:24 am

The most widespread assumption is that the 30mm will be replaced with a 45mm gun
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:31 am

https://i.imgur.com/odADS4d.jpg

Turn up the contrast on this one- good detail behind the wheels.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:49 am

2SPOOKY4U wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Acheron wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Looking like a parallelogram on wheels does not mean it has "RTD DNA within Boomerang" and neither that is was developed in the same time window of Atom also signifies RTD input.

KoTeMoRe wrote:And again, this isn't a jab at the Russian MIC, quite the contrary.

Implying that Frenchies had a hand in developing anything is always an insult, no matter how you intend it.

Sigh...whatever. I hope you're right.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:51 am

KoTeMoRe, how dare you suggest Russia borrows from anyone ever Wink .

On a similar silly note:

http://77rus.smugmug.com/Military/April-22th-Alabino/i-Ft3LwXt/0/O/2015AlabinoFirst-02.jpg
    http://77rus.smugmug.com/Military/April-22th-Alabino/i-WsPW5X3/0/O/2015AlabinoFirst-04.jpg

Funny how the welding on the splash plate on different Kurganets versions looks worlds apart. The IFV one looks pretty shitty honestly.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:56 am

Hehe Osobist on MP.net made also a stingy observation on the Armata Led's. It was russian alright because one was nicked.

Yeah well as I said, I hope the Boomerang is 100% local...

EKS

Post  EKS Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:12 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:Hehe Osobist on MP.net made also a stingy observation on the Armata Led's. It was russian alright because one was nicked.

Yeah well as I said, I hope the Boomerang is 100% local...

Boomerang can't be anything but local. Although, From a strategic point of view. But i agree that Some features, from a design point of view, look a bit Like some western models, but it's only the shape. The important systems are russian tech.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:47 am