Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+10
d_taddei2
Hole
Isos
ucmvulcan
franco
Scorpius
Werewolf
sepheronx
flamming_python
ALAMO
14 posters

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo.

ALAMO

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Empty Re: Russian food examples and ideas including Salo.

Post  ALAMO Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:13 pm

Ho ho ho, salo is back!

https://t.me/chub_detection/4558

I will remind you, this was the first observable difference. Back in 2015, all obliterated positions of Ukrs were full of jars with salo, pickles etc - this is what they were eating.
    It was not present since the beginning of the conflict, Ukro army was very well supplied with both gear and material.
    And for a while now ... suprise surprise what you have there?
    Yup, the national dish of Ukropistan.

Seriously - this is a good indication of the falling system.

And I have a great trolling Laughing

https://t.me/levigodman/5010

A "dead Gerasimov" with "the 3 heart attacked Shoigu" meeting "a Putin's double"
    Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

GarryB, JohninMK, Hole, Rasisuki Nebia, Broski and Belisarius like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Empty Re: Russian food examples and ideas including Salo.

Post  flamming_python Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:56 pm

ALAMO wrote:Ho ho ho, salo is back!

I will remind you, this was the first observable difference. Back in 2015, all obliterated positions of Ukrs were full of jars with salo, pickles etc - this is what they were eating.
    It was not present since the beginning of the conflict, Ukro army was very well supplied with both gear and material.

A "dead Gerasimov" with "the 3 heart attacked Shoigu" meeting "a Putin's double"

Wouldn't judge so quickly

Salo is first of all, the national dish, secondly - a delicacy, and thirdly - a high-calorie compact meal that will keep you going

When I served we had a guy in my squad from Kursk oblast, with the obligatory Ukro accent as in Kursk they talk more or less with the Ukro pronunciation as well; despite the fact they're largely Russians. He was always boasting about the salo from back home. And every time he received a package from there it was celebrations for us in the psychological relaxation room with a feast of salo, raw smoked kolbasa, bird's milk and other chocolaty treats.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:40 am

flamming_python wrote:

Salo is first of all, the national dish, secondly - a delicacy, and thirdly - a high-calorie compact meal that will keep you going

When I served we had a guy in my squad from Kursk oblast, with the obligatory Ukro accent as in Kursk they talk more or less with the Ukro pronunciation as well; despite the fact they're largely Russians. He was always boasting about the salo from back home. And every time he received a package from there it was celebrations for us in the psychological relaxation room with a feast of salo, raw smoked kolbasa, bird's milk and other chocolaty treats.

Funny enough, I am Ukrainian ethnic (mix of Polish and Russian, family came from both Lviv area and Donbass) and I never had tried Salo, not even once. I heard its either super good or it is gross.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:53 am

sepheronx wrote:
    Funny enough, I am Ukrainian ethnic (mix of Polish and Russian, family came from both Lviv area and Donbass) and I never had tried Salo, not even once.  I heard its either super good or it is gross.

Depends entirely on your taste. Many just grow up with it or have some "bite" sized salo stripes as a snacks while drinking alcohol. I know some who didn't grew up with salo so they never acquired a taste for it, not all of course. Ukro salo is 99% fat and has no meat tissue compared to other types of salo

Salo Ukrainii!!!
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Dreamstime_xl_37941493-1024x683

Ne Salo Ukrainii!!!
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. 579541_1571363916

I also prefer salo with meat and no the cubicle of pure fat.

sepheronx and Regular like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:26 pm

GarryB wrote:
    Just looks like pig fat to me... an eastern european equivalent to pork scratchings?
    There are two main types. The first is salty fat, almost without meat impurities (it is called шпик):
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. 1200-630-kopirovat-804-1170x630

the second variety contains layers of meat, more common in Russia and Belarus:
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. 1527919551_9

GarryB, flamming_python, Werewolf, d_taddei2, GunshipDemocracy, Ispan, Rodion_Romanovic and like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:58 pm

GarryB wrote:
    Just looks like pig fat to me... an eastern european equivalent to pork scratchings?

Pork scratchings are what's left over after pork fat has been melted/rendered away.
    It's a crispy little snack but in Russia scratchings are instead saved to be used in recipes; there's a whole bunch that make use of them.
    The Russian equivalent to a quick snack like that might be more like semechki, or sunflower seeds.
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. 314523-800x800

Although over the past decade their positions have been slipping in favour of crisps and so on

As for salo - well yeah, pork fat is what it basically is.
    Except also smoked/seasoned/aged/marinated/drenched in vodka/whatever. There are 1000 varieties of salo, with all sorts of producers ranging from home-made to large farm/food processing plants with their own versions. And in all sorts of different flavours, spices and means of preparation.
    But the best ones are always from farmers markets; unless you elect to buy some pork fat from the butcher and are ready to prepare it yourself

GarryB, GunshipDemocracy and Kiko like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:47 pm

Scorpius wrote:
    GarryB wrote:
    There are two main types. The first is salty fat, almost without meat impurities (it is called шпик):

Looks like raw bacon... do Russians eat bacon?

GarryB likes this post

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:50 pm

franco wrote:

The lower one is smoked and aged and many Russians do eat it.
    It is more a snack than anything else. It's not like a main dish.

GarryB, GunshipDemocracy and ucmvulcan like this post

ucmvulcan
    ucmvulcan

Post  ucmvulcan Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:22 pm

franco wrote:
    Scorpius wrote:
    GarryB wrote:

Yeah, it does look like thick cut slab bacon. What is it served with?
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:35 pm

ucmvulcan wrote:
    Yeah, it does look like thick cut slab bacon.  What is it served with?

Except it's NOT bacon. A huge difference is due to the fact that lard is a product pickled with salt and spices. It can be salt, a mixture of red and black peppers, garlic, dill. The cooking process can take from several days to several weeks, after which you get the final semi-finished product of long-term storage, which can be eaten both independently and with vegetables, bread, used as a snack to alcohol, it can be used as an additive to side dishes - porridge or potatoes, or even put in soup if you have you have no meat. Put a kilogram of lard and a loaf of black bread in your backpack - and you have a 3-day ration pack weighing 1.8 kilograms and a total calorie content of 9,000 calories. add here 400 grams of any cereal - and you are provided with full nutrition for three days.

Just examples of dishes in which lard is an indispensable ingredient:
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. 71e4ae7c-5d89-11ec-bb91-00155d00fb0d_1
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. 6f807d53a3b12ec274613e86c7c81bc1
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Shashlyk-iz-kartofelya-s-salom-ready0-media
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Scale_1200
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Maxresdefault-2-12
    Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. %D0%B1%D1%83%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%8B-%D1%81-%D1%81%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BC

sepheronx, GarryB, flamming_python, Werewolf, Big_Gazza, kvs, GunshipDemocracy and like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:42 pm

2 days ban for all the ones who share food would be nice.

Regular, JohninMK and owais.usmani like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:49 pm

Isos wrote:2 days ban for all the ones who share food would be nice.
    At least move the stuff to a more fitting thread.  geek

GarryB, Big_Gazza, GunshipDemocracy and JohninMK like this post

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:14 am

sepheronx wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:

Funny enough, I am Ukrainian ethnic (mix of Polish and Russian, family came from both Lviv area and Donbass) and I never had tried Salo, not even once.  I heard its either super good or it is gross.

I have eaten it in Kiev, in the union jack club in Donetsk city, and in Chernobyl village with some old bubushka. I have even tried the chocolate coated salo which is very soft. Also shredded smoked pigs ears, dried shredded squid, and small dried discus fish are common bar snacks. The salo I ate was mostly served as a starter before a main meal. I have a few pics, but for now I will post two. As some have already said this isn't the place for it. I have tried a lot of weird food on my travels around the globe, have many pics and vids of such.

Below is the salo I ate in Kiev and the chocolate coated salo both out of the same restaurant with the salo was black pudding or blood pudding as some call it. I also ate veal brains and caviar, roasted bulls heart, and smoked bacon coffee at the same restaurant lol. Happy to discuss and post more pics vids etc of other weird stuff I have eaten but elsewhere on the forum if anyone is interested.

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Img_2027

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Img_2026

sepheronx, GarryB, flamming_python, Werewolf and ALAMO like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:49 am

Scorpius wrote:
    ucmvulcan wrote:
    Yeah, it does look like thick cut slab bacon.  What is it served with?

Except it's NOT bacon. A huge difference is due to the fact that lard is a product pickled with salt and spices. It can be salt, a mixture of red and black peppers, garlic, dill. The cooking process can take from several days to several weeks, after which you get the final semi-finished product of long-term storage, which can be eaten both independently and with vegetables, bread, used as a snack to alcohol, it can be used as an additive to side dishes - porridge or potatoes, or even put in soup if you have you have no meat. Put a kilogram of lard and a loaf of black bread in your backpack - and you have a 3-day ration pack weighing 1.8 kilograms and a total calorie content of 9,000 calories. add here 400 grams of any cereal - and you are provided with full nutrition for three days.

Just examples of dishes in which lard is an indispensable ingredient:

Oh man, those pics give me some ideas I love you
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:35 am

franco wrote:

They do, but not in a way the westerners (Anglosaxons) would call it "bacon".
    And it is not raw. It is processed. Preserved with salt&bacteria in the same way one makes prosciutto or hamon. It can be stored like forever, that is why folks are calling that "a superfood". It is a quite tasty thing, especially if combined with dark bread, some pickles, onion and mustard. And frozen vodka of course Laughing

Arkanghelsk wrote:
    With this power applied, Ukraine would be smashed

Oh sure they would.
    Along with some 100k KIA Russian soldiers, because this is exactly a scale&type of advance the Ukrs were getting ready for 8 years.
    And this is the kind of operation the Russkie performed for the first 3 weeks or so.
    When we could enjoy the long red arrows on the map, and expanding the red zone, while the Twitter was busy presenting rows of destroyed equipment, smashed VDV platoons, nice bloody corpses in fancy Ratnik gear, and some dozens of POWs as the Ukro special forces were targeting the rear & supply.
    This war is being won by a factor of that cost.
    Sorry that you don't like it.

Last edited by ALAMO on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Belisarius likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:44 am

Salo is honestly a great food. Compact, tasty and universal. Don't understand those who disparage or knock it, and we have some people like that in Russia

But the Ukrainian obsession with salo is at the level of Scotland's one with Haggis; whose national poet Robert Burns wrote a poem addressed to it. To the uh, to the food.
    Yeah, it's that bad

kvs likes this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:10 am

flamming_python wrote:Salo is honestly a great food. Compact, tasty and universal. Don't understand those who disparage or knock it, and we have some people like that in Russia

But the Ukrainian obsession with salo is at the level of Scotland's one with Haggis; whose national poet Robert Burns wrote a poem addressed to it. To the uh, to the food.
    Yeah, it's that bad

Apologies for my off topic reply but that reminds me of a poem, or one might call an ode, to cheese. Was written by a brilliant british man by the name of GK Chesterton. In this long panegyric, he travels thru time and space of England and Scotland remembering the various local cheeses, and how noble and honest and delicious they were. You honestly couldn't find a more beautiful topic to write poetry on.

Also I remember him once writing that the four rivers in the garden of eden consisted of water, milk, beer, and wine. The four great beverages of mankind. He also went on a strange tirade against effervescent drinks.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:48 am

A bit extreme... will create a new thread on food and move posts there... if you mention food again before it is moved to a new thread please double post if you also want to talk about something relevant to the thread so I can move the food related post and can leave the Ukraine war relevant post here.
    ALAMO

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Empty Russian food examples and ideas including Salo.

Post  ALAMO Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:01 am

GarryB wrote:

A bit extreme... will create a new thread on food and move posts there... if you mention food again before it is moved to a new thread please double post if you also want to talk about something relevant to the thread so I can move the food related post and can leave the Ukraine war relevant post here.

What a hunger makes of a humans ...Twisted Evil
    Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:44 pm

Salo reminds me a little bit of our very own delicacy - biltong (the fatty variety) but it is a lot more meaty than salo. It is usually made from beef or venison and also ostrich. Ostrich has no fat and tends to be dry, but if you like fatty biltong beef is your first choice.

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Food-b10

I do have some culinary skills so I like to experiment with new flavours whenever I feel like it. As far as Russian food goes I have two favourites at the moment - fried patatoes and mushrooms (equally good when baked). Problem here is it is quite difficult to source wild mushrooms unless you know what you're doing, so most of the time I just use commercial mushrooms but its still freaking good!

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Food-m10

Borsch is another one, but I believe it is now claimed by the Ukrs lol!

Russian food examples and ideas including Salo. Food-b11

franco likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:57 am

Fried pieces of dry salo (not the brine cured variety) together with tvorog (quark cheese) filled "vareniki" (boiled dumplings)
    and sour cream make for a very tasty meal.  

Surviving off salo with some meat is vastly better than on a grain product.   Unlike the latter, it is actually good for your
    health.

franco and flamming_python like this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:20 am

Ill seriously need to give it a try for sure. Thanks guys.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:51 pm

Bor'sch was invented somewhere in the 14th century long before Ukrops have been invented. They would like to claim everything.

Even Jesus from Nazaret is rotating in his grave while swearing in Russian and "SALO UKRAINI"
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:12 pm

And why you are supriced, as they have already declared him to be Ukrainian? scratch
    Laughing Laughing
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pm

ALAMO wrote:And why you are supriced, as they have already declared him to be Ukrainian? scratch
    Laughing Laughing

That was the reason why I stained his name as by those unholy creations ugly Hohol fashionistas he was downgraded from holiness to alternate history madness.

The greek Professor of Ancient Aliens couldn't come up with a less believable story as the Ukropians.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 am