Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+39
RTN
nomadski
Maximmmm
Tsavo Lion
Regular
Eugenio Argentina
Scorpius
auslander
Hannibal Barca
Rasisuki Nebia
jhelb
lyle6
limb
Backman
medo
Russian_Patriot_
SeigSoloyvov
littlerabbit
franco
Airbornewolf
George1
VARGR198
Kiko
miketheterrible
JohninMK
Mir
mnztr
Finty
Hole
GarryB
ALAMO
Isos
calripson
par far
PapaDragon
flamming_python
d_taddei2
Gomig-21
AlfaT8
43 posters

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan

par far

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan - Page 5 Empty Re: Taliban takeover of Afghanistan

Post  par far Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:20 pm

Pepe Escobar with excellent analysis of what is happening in Afghanistan right now.

According to him:

The Chinese and the Russian knew, weeks before about what was about to happen and they prepared accordingly.

The Russians are having the closest diplomatic talks with the Taliban. Russians diplomatics are going to visit the Taliban in Kabul, with little or no security. One Russian diplomat in Afghanistan went to visit the Taliban at the Presidential Palace alone in his car.

The Russian and Chinese embassies are being guarded by the Taliban.

The Chinese already have plans to link up Kabul with Peshawar via a highway.

Chinese businessesmen have been in Afghanistan for 2 years looking to make connections, they were likely under Taliban protection.

The Russians and Chinese are stage managing the Taliban.

"How Russia-China are stage-managing the Taliban"

https://thesaker.is/how-russia-china-are-stage-managing-the-taliban/

zepia and VARGR198 like this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan - Page 5 Empty Re: Taliban takeover of Afghanistan

Post  Cowboy's daughter Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:30 am

Translator saved by the Angel of Kabul: Former intelligence officer comes to the rescue of Afghan interpreter and wins flight to freedom for family in fear for their lives
    Pam French was on the telephone to Nawaz, 30, and heard chaos behind him

He was told he did not have the correct paperwork to enter and board a flight

She asked to speak to a soldier and ordered Nawaz and his family to fly

Person from London who went to Afghanistan for a wedding, and now caught there.

AUGUST 15 Now it really is changing. People start stealing everything. Cash machines are emptied and checkpoints are put up all over the city. I am worried about our flight so I go to the British Embassy. Everyone is gone. Then the Taliban come into the city. They are all over. Everyone is running away. It is chaos. I run in my sandals. I must run 20 miles to get away from them. I cannot describe how scary they are. I have never in my life seen them before. To come face to face with them is just terrifying. There is shouting and screaming and gunfire all over the city. I make it back to my uncle's and the Taliban come – 20 at our door. They want my car. One puts a gun to my head. He says, 'Give me it or I will shoot you,' so I give him the keys. I call the Embassy who tell me not to leave. They say wait for them to call back – but they do not.

AUGUST 16 Still no call from the Embassy. We can hear gunshots and swearing and shouting by the Taliban all over the city. They are worse than animals.

AUGUST 17 The Taliban come. They ask my uncle why he is keeping people here from the UK. They say they will kick him out for taking us in, but we manage to shut the door. We still have not heard from the British Embassy.

AUGUST 18 The Taliban get into our house. They push my uncle about – all of the kids and mothers start crying and they leave. Some of the Taliban say they will kill me and my uncle. We have still not heard anything from the British Embassy. It seems such a long time ago we came here. So much has changed. When will we see our home in London again?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9906421/Former-intelligence-officer-comes-rescue-Afghan-interpreter-wins-flight-freedom.html

Finty likes this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:34 am

Situation at Kabul airport is still unstable and chaotic.
    It will only get worse as time passes.

Meanwhile, instead of figuring out an way to dislodge from this.
    Thousands more troops are flown in.... dunno
    Someone has the ambition (potentially) to out-do Captain Custer.

Biden saying in an interview "we wont leave untill we are done".
    *Taliban laughs in AK-47*

PapaDragon and Finty like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:44 am

syrseal
    @syrseal44
    · 17 Aug
    Turkey canceled its plan to protect Kabul airport

Bloomberg

ASB News / MILITARYPart alternation mark
    @ASBMilitary
    · 16 Aug
    Turkey has abandoned plans to take control of Kabul airport after NATO withdraws its troops

So much for being buddies. US must have been OK with the guy just being in prison.

syrseal
    @syrseal44
    ·
    16 Aug
    The Taliban executes the emir of ISIS in Afghanistan, Abu Omar Al-Khorasani, after seizing Bagram prison.

Cowboy's daughter and Finty like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:00 am

I heard rumours that UK paratroopers are driving around Kabul and picking up evacuees as if they just conquered the place

US commanders are not too pleased at all since this whole thing hinges on Taliban good will and Brits being idiots is burning through it at rapid pace

Taliban are playing it cool for now but if they decide that they don't feel like putting up with it anymore (or some random hobo just starts blastin') those UK paras are goners and nobody will be able to do anything about it short of starting a new war all over again

flamming_python, Cowboy's daughter and Finty like this post

par far

Post  par far Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:08 am

Any guesses to how many "Afghan Refugees" will come to the EU?

I am putting the number at 1 million and likely to go up.

There is already more than 3 million in Iran, more than 2 million in Pakistan. There is no way these countries can host so many.

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:20 am

US Embassy in Kabul warns it can’t ‘ensure safe passage’ to airport

By Mark Moore and Tamar Lapin

August 18, 2021 3:44pm Updated

The US Embassy in Kabul on Wednesday warned that it “cannot ensure safe passage” to the airport for people attempting to flee Afghanistan amid the Taliban’s swift takeover of the country.

“The security situation in Kabul continues to change quickly, including at the airport,” the alert said.

“Please be advised that a significant number of individuals have registered and space on these flights is available on a first come, first serve basis,” it continued. “You may be required to wait at the airport for a significant amount of time until space is available.”

https://nypost.com/2021/08/18/us-embassy-in-kabul-warns-it-cant-ensure-safe-passage-to-airport/

Graphic
    Taliban kill woman for not wearing burqa on same day they vow to honor women’s rights

https://nypost.com/2021/08/17/taliban-kill-woman-not-wearing-burqa-after-vowing-to-honor-womens-rights/

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:42 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    I heard rumours that UK paratroopers are driving around Kabul and picking up evacuees as if they just conquered the place

US commanders are not too pleased at all since this whole thing hinges on Taliban good will and Brits being idiots is burning through it at rapid pace

Taliban are playing it cool for now but if they decide that they don't feel like putting up with it anymore (or some random hobo just starts blastin') those UK paras are goners and nobody will be able to do anything about it short of starting a new war all over again

the rumours seem to be true, And yes. The brits decided to try to go looking for trouble on their own.
    One misunderstanding and this just might kick off an escalation.
    Im sure the americans are pissed off, As it means they bear the consequences as well of their actions.

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan - Page 5 Captur10

Also, The brits are starting to worry this evacuation might be over in days.
    That the Americans might not be able to hold on.

I already said this situation is unsustainable myself. Seeing the footage they are already performing at the maximum non-lethal escalation level.
    At some point people grow numb to the flashbangs and warning shots.
    you can not stop thousands of civilians from storming your airport as time and pressure mounts.
    There will be an point soon that they no longer care.

What then?. direct fire at people?. that is not an option anyone likes.
    So,...run to the aircraft?. And soldiers have to fight their way on their own aircraft?.
    Another C-17 needs to storm down the runway on take-off with people on it to get away?.
    These are all very bad scenario's.

But hey, all common sense seems to have gone out of the window by U.S leadership and SaigonJoe.
    So who the hell knows how this is going to play out?. Wink

PapaDragon likes this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:51 am

Airbornewolf wrote:...SaigonJoe

Now that's an appropriate nickname if I ever heard one

Ironically while Joe managed to dodge draft for Vietnam he ended up being a president over a way bigger mess than Saigon pullout ever was and one that's completely his own doing

Faith has a crazy sense of humor

VARGR198 likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:34 am

Cowboy's daughter wrote:
    Graphic
    Taliban kill woman for not wearing burqa on same day they vow to honor women’s rights

https://nypost.com/2021/08/17/taliban-kill-woman-not-wearing-burqa-after-vowing-to-honor-womens-rights/

I think that photo's a week old or so

Lot of propaganda at the moment, but no evidence I've seen that the Taliban have killed any civilians on the street (other than executions of some of their opponents)

No evidence of course, doesn't mean they haven't.

Cowboy's daughter and Backman like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:30 am

The U.S. State Department has confirmed that seven CH-46E Sea Knight helicopters, also colloquially known as "Phrogs," belonging to its Air Wing have been rendered inoperable and abandoned in Afghanistan as part of the ongoing evacuation effort. Rolling Eyes

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:18 am

Airbornewolf, PapaDragon, VARGR198, Isos and lyle6 like this post

limb

Post  limb Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 am

par far wrote:Any guesses to how many "Afghan Refugees" will come to the EU?

I am putting the number at 1 million and likely to go up.

There is already more than 3 million in Iran, more than 2 million in Pakistan. There is no way these countries can host so many.

Its wierd how the vast majority of afghans(99%) want sharia law and support the taliban yet there are so many refugees. Also the vast majority of rapes in europe from refugees are by afghans. Says a lot about their reasons to leave afganistan(its not the taliban).
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:22 am

par far wrote:Pepe Escobar with excellent analysis of what is happening in Afghanistan right now.

According to him:

That is what I have told you.
    We must remember that peace talks for Afghanistan were held in Moscow 2 years ago already.
    A lot of tribe chiefs sent the delegation there, and they have reached an agreement.
    All of them agreed that occupying forces need to withdraw, voluntarily or forced to. Simply send a message that the occupiers are kindly asked to GTFO.
    They probably established some kind of interim gov style and type agreement.
    This year, the official Taliban delegation visited both Moscow and Bejing.
    Herr Mass, announced that EU is supposed to deal with the Taliban anyway, as there is no other option as they won.
    It will be funny to watch!

GarryB and PapaDragon like this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:58 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    Airbornewolf wrote:...SaigonJoe

Now that's an appropriate nickname if I ever heard one

Ironically while Joe managed to dodge draft for Vietnam he ended up being a president over a way bigger mess than Saigon pullout ever was and one that's completely his own doing

Faith has a crazy sense of humor

I know right?. Every day now is a surprise how things can get even worse. And what the next stupid thing that comes out of the white house.

Biden on the images of people clinging to the C-17.
    "ah that was like, 4...5 days ago".

What!?!.  Razz  This guy runs foreign Policy Like i do Foreign Policy in Stellaris or Warhammer:Total War 2.
    With complete disregard for consequences of my actions just to forment some more resentment.

Meanwhile, at Kabul Airport.
    Also the Taliban seems to have issues keeping the afghans away from the millitary gates.
    They already stated only people with papers for evac should come to the gates.
    It seems to have little effect so far.

Also, im starting to lose braincells because of skimming trough twitter for new footage.
    What an cesspool of naive idiots.
    Some people really should have no acces to the internet.

Either way, this shitshow of saigon 2021 unfolding here will go down in infamy in the history books.
    History in the making here, so im invested to follow these events as they happen.

flamming_python and PapaDragon like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:53 am

Apparently they and the Georgians failed to make it to the airport though when the Ukrainian plane was there.

Airbornewolf wrote:Either way, this shitshow of saigon 2021 unfolding here will go down in infamy in the history books.
    History in the making here, so im invested to follow these events as they happen.

It's grimly fascinating

Airbornewolf likes this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:23 am

I am not 100% sure if this is taken this morning,
    I think so anyway, comparing it to the other video's takien this morning and the lightfall of the enviroment.

American patrol films the sea of people on the civilian side of the runway at Kabul.
    The U.S supposedly stretched concertina wire as an perimiter, but that is not going to do much.
    The ammount of warningshots in the background paints a pretty good picture how "in control" they are.

PapaDragon likes this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 am

flamming_python wrote:
    They said they were ridin with biden, not ridin to benin, dammit.

flamming_python, VARGR198 and miketheterrible like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:17 pm

I would say the Taleban have been rather more civilised than the Americans so far... if the roles were reversed would the US leave an airfield open for Taleban sympathisers to leave the country over a period of days or weeks?

Those who is in charge colour maps of Afghanistan are much easier to draw now... but you need a lot of red ink.

The irony too is that with the Taleban in charge and the opposition holed up in basically one valley, at least progress can be more positive... when the Chinese start building roads the Taleban will at least make them actually safe... by not making them unsafe...

Lots of infrastructure projects can go ahead... this might actually be good for Afghanistan...

BTW if I was Uganda I would ask for the money from the US in advance... wouldn't trust their promises very far myself to be honest...

Hole likes this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:32 pm

U.K chief of Defence on taliban

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Why do you quote loosers Very Happy ?

nomadski likes this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:26 pm

Exactly . And why loosers ? Because they went in for a cheap show . It is true , they had to respond in this way . As well as in a more directed way to capture Bin Laden . The operation to disband Alqaeeda , was a type of police operation . It had to be . Similar to capturing other terror cells , like Bider Minhoff . But the public wanted revenge . And the Generals were happy to oblige . And arms manufacturers were ecstatic .

Not a single engagement against Alqaeeda in Afghanistan ( own admission ) . All a show . Not a single Dollar spent in reconstruction . Holes in discarded Boots . Anyone wonder they lost ? They had to loose long term to win short term . Satisfy public blood lust .

And the key word is Democratic . Yes Democratic first . And the puppet government could not be Democratic . Because the yanks needed a war , even by wrongly targeting the Taliban . Who had nothing to do with 9/11 .

And the Taliban is not Democratic . Never mind if it is a minority or majority or even extreme or moderate . They are not Democratic . So the key in solving the problems in ME , is to identify Democrats and support them . And reject anti-Democrats , be they the majority or minority . So those rejected should be ISIS , Taliban , Separatists and forces of right wing reaction . Of whatever colours and size . And those supported are the Democrats , of whatever colours and size . But you will mostly find the majority to be Democrats .

Nation building , is what the international community ( joint investment , lower risk ) should do . A joint development plan . To aid in social integration and progress . Smart investment in strategic locations , and special economic zones . E.g : Build motorcycle manufacturing plant , sell shares for purchase by Afghans and workers . Employ mixed workforce and encourage mixed marriages . Build houses for them locally . Provide security . Allow medical care . Encourage social and political formations . Set an example . Others will follow . A birthplace of national Democrats .
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:03 pm

GarryB wrote:I would say the Taleban have been rather more civilised than the Americans so far... if the roles were reversed would the US leave an airfield open for Taleban sympathisers to leave the country over a period of days or weeks?

Those who is in charge colour maps of Afghanistan are much easier to draw now... but you need a lot of red ink.

The irony too is that with the Taleban in charge and the opposition holed up in basically one valley, at least progress can be more positive... when the Chinese start building roads the Taleban will at least make them actually safe... by not making them unsafe...

Lots of infrastructure projects can go ahead... this might actually be good for Afghanistan...

BTW if I was Uganda I would ask for the money from the US in advance... wouldn't trust their promises very far myself to be honest...

Taliban.....civilized LOL, Your so Anti-US you are now defending head-choppers, do me a favor. Get on a plane go to Afghanistan and see how "civilized" the Taliban are. I really mean this, because that remark was so full of shit.

Fact is, if you think American is bad the Taliban are far worse. We never lashed young girls for wearing sandals, its disgusting you actually said that

The only reason they are letting those people go is that they are mixed in with US personal and the Taliban aren't dumb enough to start a fight with us, they want us to go, and letting some civilians go is a small price to pay for this.

There is no good will behind it at all.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:11 pm

Isos wrote:Why do you quote loosers Very Happy ?
    To show that apart from being losers they are two faced as well.
    Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:54 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:I would say the Taleban have been rather more civilised than the Americans so far... if the roles were reversed would the US leave an airfield open for Taleban sympathisers to leave the country over a period of days or weeks?

Taliban.....civilized LOL, Your so Anti-US you are now defending head-choppers, do me a favor. Get on a plane go to Afghanistan and see how "civilized" the Taliban are. I really mean this, because that remark was so full of shit.

Fact is, if you think American is bad the Taliban are far worse. We never lashed young girls for wearing sandals, its disgusting you actually said that

The only reason they are letting those people go is that they are mixed in with US personal and the Taliban aren't dumb enough to start a fight with us, they want us to go, and letting some civilians go is a small price to pay for this.

There is no good will behind it at all.

Garry's observation is correct.

If the role's where reversed, We would not let them go. They would be blown into Low-earth orbit by B-1/52 strikes carrying 2000-pounder JDAM's while taking video's that would be shown on western media.
    Outside of the Track-record of atrocities commited by the Taliban....
    They could have easily taken the Kabul airfield as well. Over-running any NATO infantry gaurding the base there.
    It would be an total humiliation for the U.S and NATO if that happened. But the west would be unable to do anything about it.

NATO is logsitically and millitarily hollowed out of decades of war and foreign interventions.
    Any threat's the U.S or NATO makes are a paper tiger. There are no ways to project force anymore in Afghanistan.
    Air support?. even if they where on Dubai they would need tankers and too much time to reach Kabul to do anything.
    Besides that, Taliban knows how NATO likes to use air support and try to close the distance with NATO infantry to prevent air support from engaging.

Untill not so long ago, We as NATO and Taliban would shoot eachother on-sight.

The fact that Taliban stopped at the airfield and keep restraint on their forces and say "you got untill 11th of September to Leave" is goodwill/mercy from their side.
    It is our own politicians and millitary leaders that failed utterly, they sleepwalked into an potential Dunkirk 2021 with around 6000 troops and embassy staff trapped on Kabul Airfield.

Personally speaking, i am glad it did not came to that. I am gratefull that NATO forces on Kabul get almost 4 weeks to get out without being harassed.
    We have the chance to get around 6000 of our own people back, unhurt. Instead of having them used for propaganda, tortured, and executed.

The situation on the ground in Kabul is what it is, nothing will change that now.

The only ones that should bear the full responsibility of this abysmal failure are the western politicians and millitary leaders.

GarryB, flamming_python, magnumcromagnon, Hannibal Barca, PapaDragon, Hole and Mir like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm