Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread:

GarryB
    GarryB

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 Empty Re: [Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread:

Post  GarryB on Sun May 03, 2020 12:37 pm

You can see from the hatches of the Rif system the spacing... from top to bottom the rotary launcher is above the line of the top row of hatches and also above the second row of hatches creating the space between the top two rows, and then the bottom row of launch hatches has the rotary launchers below the line of the hatches.

That means if you rip that all out the entire front internal space could carry rather more than 96 missiles because with all those rotary launchers there is a lot of empty unused and unusable space. A VLS like UKSK-M filled with SAMs could carry an enormous number of actual missiles in that volume of space... but they are clearly not ready yet.

Well can pine on about how many extra missiles we can squeeze in, but the honest truth is that it is about quality as well as quantity.... and 80 Zircons, or 40 Zircons and 20 anti sub missiles and 20 land attack Kalibres will be plenty for most missions... would be nice to see them take off those 130mm guns and put on a single 152mm twin barrel gun mount.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    Hole
    Hole

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 Empty Re: [Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread:

Post  Hole on Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 pm

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 001612
    [Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 002412

S-300F from "down under".
    hoom

Post  hoom on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:59 pm

PtG has been doing live-fire exercises

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 06-8809669-dsc-7526-2400

Granit launch

Granit is freaking massive
    [Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 11-8822861-petr-velikij-pusk-granita-4-10-07-2020-

Ak-130 practice

According to Bastion Karpenko also shot down 8 target drones: 4 with the AK-130 & AK-630s, another 4 with the Kashtans.

GarryB, Cyberspec and dino00 like this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 Empty temp navy thread

Post  Sujoy on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Detailed shots of the launch of the SS-N-19 Shipwreck cruise missile.

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 Shipwr10
    [Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 Shipwr11
    [Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 Shipwr12

GarryB, Cyberspec and Big_Gazza like this post

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Adm. Nakhimov CGN update: https://ria.ru/20200711/1574170539.html

I wonder if Peter will be modernized the same way to carry all those armaments.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:06 am

Tsavo Lion wrote:I wonder if Peter will be modernized the same way to carry all those armaments.

That's the plan AFAIK
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:10 am

I wonder if Peter will be modernized the same way to carry all those armaments.

Will likely depend on how this one works out... they might decide it is a success and a cheap way to get a useful large ship into operation, or they might end up thinking it is a waste and new ships are what they need...

I would think this will be a useful ship upgrade and replacing most of the old stuff with new stuff should make it more flexible and capable without costing too much.

Even if it is terrible and they decide it has been ruined with the upgrade, brand new cruisers wont be laid down till after 2025 at the very earliest and wont hit the water till at the very earliest 2032, so the two Kirov class ships and the four odd Slava class ships will have to be good enough for at least 10-15 years as the centres of surface action groups... and they should be fine... Russia might want to visit places but I don't see them trying to land armour up the Thames river any time soon...
    chinggis
    chinggis

Post  chinggis on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:14 pm

hoom wrote:PtG has been doing live-fire exercises

[Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 06-8809669-dsc-7526-2400

Granit launch

Granit is freaking massive
    [Official] 'Peter The Great' News Thread: - Page 8 11-8822861-petr-velikij-pusk-granita-4-10-07-2020-

Ak-130 practice

According to Bastion Karpenko also shot down 8 target drones: 4 with the AK-130 & AK-630s, another 4 with the Kashtans.

Interesting pictures of launch, it seems Granit is oriented almost immediately after is left launch tube. This is different than S300 launch. Is is cold launch or hot launch?
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:40 pm

Granit isn't launched vertically. The container is angled and it pops-up at an angle and goes straight toward the target.

That's a hot launch. This massive missile couldn't be ejected by gaz.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:19 am

Isos wrote:That's a hot launch. This massive missile couldn't be ejected by gaz.

It could be, but the black-powder gas generators would be excessively large for a bank of 20 missiles. Consider the RS-36 Voevoda (SS-18 Satan) or its space-launcher conversion Dnepr... It's a thing of beauty!! Very Happy

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am

Is it a cold launch ? That looks like a booster is used and main engine start after exiting the silo. You can see flames before the engine start so it's a hot launch.

Cold launch is supposed to to eject the missile with gas and there should be no flames.

The drawback of cold launch is if it fails you end up with an armed missile on you ship that can blow up at any time. Hot launch will send it away from the ship. I wouldn't like to have a granit falling backward on my ship.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

Isos wrote:Is it a cold launch ? That looks like a booster is used and main engine start after exiting the silo. You can see flames before the engine start so it's a hot launch.

Cold launch is supposed to to eject the missile with gas and there should be no flames.

The drawback of cold launch is if it fails you end up with an armed missile on you ship that can blow up at any time. Hot launch will send it away from the ship. I wouldn't like to have a granit falling backward on my ship.

Yes, the RS-36M/Dnepr is a cold launch.  AFAIK the choice of cold launch was intended to minimise any damage to the silo so that it could be reloaded after firing. IMHO I doubt that it would be practical to reload a silo after a full blooded nuclear exchange, but that was the general idea of the time.

Note that "cold" launch is a relative term.  The launch gas is generated from a slow burning pyrotechnic charge (essentially a large quantity of black powder).  Yes, there are flames, but the burn temperature is much lower than you'd get from a rocket engine ignition and the acoustic shock is much lower.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:08 pm

It is a combined rocket ramjet powered missile... as you can see the nose mounted fairing is ejected immediately, but the solid rocket motor would burn for a bit longer than that... essentially when the solid rocket motor has burned out the empty space left behind becomes the air flow tube for the ramjet, so air from the nose mounted intake will flow through the weapon with the tube getting narrower to compress the air and then fuel is added and ignited... no propeller shafts or turbine blades... essentially an air breathing rocket motor.

Onyx does the same but is of a much more modern design and is closer to 3 tons that the 7.5 tons this missile weighs.

Zircon has a much more sophisticated fuel burning mechanism that allows the fuel to be burned at supersonic speed so the air intake does not need to narrow at high speed to reduce the amount of air going in to the engine to slow it to subsonic speeds for combustion... which means vastly more thrust at high speeds.
    mnztr

Post  mnztr on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:15 pm

I guess with AN in drydock and all the Oscars being upgraded to UKSK missiles they have a pretty large stock of Granit missiles to blast away in life fire exercises. This will demostrate that these big boys work and so the new ones area also for real. I would love to see them launch a swarm of 4 missiles to test. That would be super cool.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm

mnztr wrote:I guess with AN in drydock and all the Oscars being upgraded to UKSK missiles they have a pretty large stock of Granit missiles to blast away in life fire exercises. This will demostrate that these big boys work and so the new ones area also for real. I would love to see them launch a swarm of 4 missiles to test. That would be super cool.

Not all the Oscars just four and maybe up to six. Right now they have eight Oscars in total.
    mnztr

Post  mnztr on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:26 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    mnztr wrote:I guess with AN in drydock and all the Oscars being upgraded to UKSK missiles they have a pretty large stock of Granit missiles to blast away in life fire exercises. This will demostrate that these big boys work and so the new ones area also for real. I would love to see them launch a swarm of 4 missiles to test. That would be super cool.

Not all the Oscars just four and maybe up to six. Right now they have eight Oscars in total.

That is still a pretty huge surplus of Granit missiles 24 for each oscar and 20 from the Admiral N.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:08 am

They have been out of production for quite some time, which I suspect is a partial driver for upgrading them to take the newer smaller lighter faster longer ranged missiles...

The Vulcans the Slava class ships carry continued production longer than the Granit AFAIK, which are rather similar, so they likely have a few of both, but I suspect they will be using them up in exercises and for testing air defence systems on land and at sea...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:16 pm