Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+43
nemerson
Tingsay
Ned86
Singular_Transform
LMFS
PapaDragon
owais.usmani
TMA1
Arrow
Backman
Nomad5891
Tsavo Lion
Kiko
limb
Scorpius
magnumcromagnon
Daniel_Admassu
kvs
The-thing-next-door
flamming_python
hoom
Begome
Viktor
Isos
x_54_u43
Big_Gazza
GarryB
Sujoy
AlfaT8
OminousSpudd
Rodion_Romanovic
yavar
AMK
nero
Vann7
George1
Cyberspec
Gazputin
PhSt
calripson
miketheterrible
Hole
dino00
47 posters

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #3

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #3 - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #3

Post  miketheterrible 04/12/20, 11:13 pm

Daniel_Admassu wrote:I am fairly certain that Putin is not maintaining a secret stash of billions but was awaiting for the second launch of the Angara from plesetsk when this news of a soyuz launch came. Those defense ministry guys certainly don't talk much about what they do, do they?

Not much these days. After after new law regarding keeping military transactions a secret was approved, it's gonna get harder.
    Daniel_Admassu

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #3 - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #3

Post  Daniel_Admassu 05/12/20, 07:12 pm

The good thing is Plesetsk has an incredible record in launch successes. However the never ending delay with Angara is becoming increasingly hard to justify. They test launched the A5 years ago. I understand that this time it will be integrated with a different upper stage (I think Briz-M) but that is not reason enough to launch with a dummy again. At least they could load it with a domestic payload like some geostationary weather satellite.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon 05/12/20, 07:54 pm

Hole likes this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza 05/12/20, 10:44 pm

Daniel_Admassu wrote:The good thing is Plesetsk has an incredible record in launch successes. However the never ending delay with Angara is becoming increasingly hard to justify. They test launched the A5 years ago. I understand that this time it will be integrated with a different upper stage (I think Briz-M) but that is not reason enough to launch with a dummy again. At least they could load it with a domestic payload like some geostationary weather satellite.

The vehicles launched in 2014 were prototypes for design certification and were essentially hand-built one-offs made at Khrunishev in Moscow.  The serial units were to be built in a new production unit in Omsk and at that time they had barely broken ground. The 6 year delay since prototype launch and 1st serial unit is fully explained by the time required to start up a new rocket production unit in Siberia, develop serial production procedures, and train an all-new workforce.

Typically however, Russia's perennial detractors insist on attributing the delay to Russians being incompetent & corrupt, the Russian gov lacking money, and the Angara to be now obselete due to "Musks innovation" (which mud-hut dwellers can't possibly duplicate or compete against...). Don't buy into their propaganda bullshit.

kvs, LMFS, Hole, Scorpius and Kiko like this post

Daniel_Admassu

Post  Daniel_Admassu 05/12/20, 11:56 pm

Well of course the Omsk plant has been in preparation for some time now and that is where the future of the Angara is. I am not informed enough to say whether its construction and staff training is delayed or not. Some delay I suppose is reasonable for the setup of such a new plant and process.
    However if I remember correctly the Moscow plant produced the first few URM modules required for two or three A5 launches. Considering the urgency of replacing the Proton they should have fast tracked the Angara program. Same with Vostochny.
    Regarding SpaceX I tend to believe that it got more than a headstart with all the NASA tech handover along with unfair payload contracts. But you have to give it to the guy for pacing things up while making everything seem hip and marketable. Just look at the crew dragon with its four person crew and sleek controls and automated docking. Of course western media would tell you that all of this was done for the first time. Nevertheless it all means that Russia also needs to up its game and move on from its Soviet legacy. Also a bold new program beyond satellite launches like planetary exploration wouldn't hurt. I think Russia can afford that. Even China is making the moon voyage look like a run to the grocers.

miketheterrible and Kiko like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 06/12/20, 04:49 am

Russia is in no hurry to transition to the Angara because it already has launchers that do the job. This is not some car market
    where new models (mostly cosmetic changes) come out almost every year. It does not have to follow the expectations of
    some peanut gallery.

Also, these are not "delays" and are not evidence of any corruption. Corruption involves cost overruns by engineered delays.
    Really, the onus is on the critics to prove there is something wrong.

Big_Gazza likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 06/12/20, 06:57 pm

Just look at the crew dragon with its four person crew and sleek controls and automated docking.

Automated docking was standard on Mir... the Soyuz cargo ships have automatic docking options... one time they tried a manual dock and they had a collision because that particular ship was overloaded and it came in too fast and ended up hitting the station...

So really a four person crew is the height of their achievement... which is impressive... even more so when you add that they went from buying seats to get into space from a hate rival to being able to send four of their people at a time to the space station and it appears a miraculous save... he is really pulling their balls out of the fire... but it is not ground breaking... what they are doing now is not something that has never been done before, and the enormous subsidies and support he has been getting would make any half arse amateur look good for a while.

His real problem is that as a flashy car salesman the next one has to be better than the last... so he is going to end up writing cheques his ass cannot cash... I hope no one dies because of it...

“I’d say six years from now, highly confident [that humans will travel to Mars]. If we get lucky, maybe four years, and then we’re going to try and send an uncrewed vehicle there in two years,” Musk said.

https://www.rt.com/news/508463-musk-spacex-mars-humans-spaceship/

But of course he does not share my fears over human life...

“I want to emphasise that this is a very hard and dangerous, difficult thing, not for the faint of heart… [There’s a] good chance you’ll die. It's going to be tough-going, but it’ll be pretty glorious if it works out,” he said.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 06/12/20, 07:40 pm

Space-X and its 20 year effort to get to where the US was before the Moon program is somehow not a delay.

It gets tiresome listening to the inane drivel about Russia. No, I am not aiming this comment at people in this thread.
    People pick up on the negative propaganda which does work at shaping their perceptions.

Big_Gazza and Scorpius like this post

Daniel_Admassu

Post  Daniel_Admassu 06/12/20, 08:46 pm

"Automated docking was standard on Mir... the Soyuz cargo ships have automatic docking options... "

Of course and that is obviously what I was talking about. The Kurs docking mechanism has been standard for all Energia craft since forever. However during the first manned dragon mission all western outlets were yapping about it like a newly available alien tech.
    The funny thing is after the Ukraine crisis Russia had to replace this mechanism with its own indigenous one and they did it without breaking a sweat. It tells you that they can redesign the whole flight program and spacecraft if they wanted to. I understand the logic of not fixing anything unless it is broken but a lot of the time innovation comes with change.
    I know Russia is right now endeavoring on the long term with vostochny and the angara program and that is a good thing. It will take time. But we have to understand that the space industry differs vastly for each country. Elon musk is riding the corrupt capitalist setup and huge NASA budget he found himself in. China considers catching up on space milestones a priority prestige project and spares no funds. So does India. I sometimes think that Russia is lost between these two. Unless it shapes up an identity for itself now, it risks falling behind in the next decades. That is a shame because currently it has a lead in all the critical technologies, automated docking being but one.

Kiko likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 08/12/20, 02:42 am

Data on the program of creating a promising Russian orbital station appeared
    Today, 06: 33

RSC Energia announces some data about the future Russian space station. The issue of creating such a station is being considered due to the fact that in 2024 the term of operation of the ISS agreed by the countries expires. The International Space Station has been in operation for 22 years.

Information Service RIA Newsreferring to documents from RSC Energia, writes about the state of affairs with the concept of a promising Russian orbital station (ROS). In particular, it is indicated that the internal volume of the new station will be larger than that of the Russian segment of the ISS, and more than that of the Mir station.

At the moment it is known that the first stage of construction is scheduled for 2025-2026. After the completion of this stage, the internal volume of the new station will be 136 cubic meters. At the second stage, which, according to the published data, will be completed in 2028, the volume will already be 464 cubic meters. At the same time, it is planned to operate a commercial module at the station. In general, the ROS, whose living volume will be 376 cubic meters, will be able to receive up to 4 cosmonauts. The specific name of the station has not yet been announced.

Recall that in 2001, the Mir station was de-orbited and flooded in the ocean. At that time, it served in orbit for 15 years, which can be considered a fairly short period for an orbital station. It was officially announced about "obsolete equipment". At the same time, it was added that Russia cannot maintain the Mir station due to lack of funding.

https://en.topwar.ru/177853-pojavilis-dannye-o-programme-sozdanija-perspektivnoj-rossijskoj-orbitalnoj-stancii.html

dino00, Big_Gazza, PapaDragon and Hole like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 08/12/20, 06:58 pm

I know Russia is right now endeavoring on the long term with vostochny and the angara program and that is a good thing. It will take time. But we have to understand that the space industry differs vastly for each country. Elon musk is riding the corrupt capitalist setup and huge NASA budget he found himself in. China considers catching up on space milestones a priority prestige project and spares no funds. So does India. I sometimes think that Russia is lost between these two. Unless it shapes up an identity for itself now, it risks falling behind in the next decades. That is a shame because currently it has a lead in all the critical technologies, automated docking being but one.

Space is a huge money pit that you can piss trillions of dollars away very easily and can end up with very little.

I could care less who got to the Moon or Mars first, I am more interested in examining conditions on Venus a neglected planet... and also maintaining Russias satellite network in earth orbit. Rushing to send men to Mars is stupid right now because propulsion systems make it difficult and much more dangerous than better propulsion systems could make it.

When climbing Mount Everest they didn't just chuck on a pack and start climbing... there were thousands of support people forming bases all the way up the mountain with supplies for going up and coming down for the few that actually reached the summit. It would make sense to assemble something in orbit made of multiple rockets assembled like an Angara model, but some sort of sustainer propulsion that accelerated and decelerated all the way would make conditions more tolerable because it would effectively create a sort of micro gravity...

Recall that in 2001, the Mir station was de-orbited and flooded in the ocean. At that time, it served in orbit for 15 years, which can be considered a fairly short period for an orbital station. It was officially announced about "obsolete equipment". At the same time, it was added that Russia cannot maintain the Mir station due to lack of funding.

I do remember, and I also remember it was only intended to operate for 8-10 years so it actually operated long beyond its planned life span... unlike the amazing US space station.... Skylab... Mir was pretty much the modular design basis of the current ISS... which is in many ways MIR 2. Russia certainly didn't have the money to keep it in orbit and the only reason it stayed in orbit as long as it did was because the US was very very keen to get experience in a real space station.... they had only had real experience of going up for up to a week at a time on their shuttles and then coming back down.

There was an interesting story from a US astronaut that went up with the first groups of US personel to Mir and he said he was told by the Russians taht after 3 months you lose a lot of muscle mass because without gravity you can push your self around the space station with your little finger... in fact humans designed for space would have four hands instead of two hands and two feet because feet are largely useless... grabbing and pushing off from things is easier with your hands... in fact for crew going to fly to mars that will stay in an orbiter vehicle should be people with no legs... it is just wasted mass and actually gets in the way more often than is useful by making you twice as long as you need to be.

Anyway this american said they were told that 3 months in space and they will be weak and will need assistance when they land back on the ground and he said quietly to himself then that he would follow the superior US training and exercise regime and eat the superior food and when he landed he was going to unstrap himself and stand up and show these Russians what a real astronaut can do. Well... he said he did more than the exercises suggested, and was very careful what food he ate and then when three months he landed back to earth and when he went to remove his strap he found he could not lift his own arm.

He said he felt ashamed... if the cold war had not ended and they had decided to go to Mars, US astronauts probably would have been too weak to do anything and probably would have died after almost two years in space to get there... in fact they likely would have broken bones on the landing just under the g force because muscles weaken but bones also are stripped of their calcium by the body because without gravity it thinks it does not need strong bones any more and uses it for other things...

This was all in a documentary I saw in the late 1990s but I suspect such an anti American and pro Russian doco would be buried these days in the current climate.... it had all sorts of interesting things, like the fact that the Soviet/Russian toilet on Mir was much better and easier to use than the one on the shuttle so when the shuttle was docked to Mir they used the space stations toilet. Also Soviet/Russian space suits were much better... much easier to put on. Essentially the backpack opened up like a door, which you put your feet and arms and head in from the rear, the backpack door was then closed and sealed and the seals were all checked on the joints... the parts are all rigid for operations in a vaccuum... it took about 40 minutes to put it on and do all the necessary checks... the American space suit took about 7 hours to put on and each section/joint was a separate piece that is assembled and the seals checked when on....

Such things will be lost in time because the new American toilets and space suits will be based on Soviet technology... just like their rocket engines.

Big_Gazza, miketheterrible and Scorpius like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 09/12/20, 08:06 am

American lack of awareness of muscle atrophy in space is because even their Moon missions lasted around one week.
    Three months is not some magic cutoff. The atrophy starts from hour zero but it is rather slow.

GarryB and Big_Gazza like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 10/12/20, 11:55 pm

George1 likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik 11/12/20, 01:21 pm

https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=0&nid=542996&lang=RU

"Moscow. December 10. INTERFAX-AVN - The head of Roscosmos, Dmitry Rogozin, called the statement of US Vice President Michael Pence about American leadership in space strange.

"Pence's very strange reaction to our successful launches of combat missile systems today," Rogozin said on Twitter on Wednesday night.
    So he reacted to Pence's statement that the U.S. is leading in the "race" in space, despite challenges from Russia and China.
    "According to Pence, space weapons have the right to create and test only the United States. What is it: arrogance or a blinding sense of national exclusivity? Or Pence's nervous reaction to our successful launches of combat missile systems today?" said Rogozin on Facebook.
    "The Americans have a nervous cosmic breakdown today," the head of Roscosmos said.
    Russia held a training session on strategic offensive forces management on Wednesday. During the training, the intercontinental ballistic missile from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome, a submarine ballistic missile from the Barents Sea, long-range air cruise missiles and Tu-160 and Tu-95MS strategic aircraft were carried out.
    Pence said at a meeting of the National Space Council that U.S. President Donald Trump has signed a directive that prioritizes U.S. space interests.
    "I am pleased to announce that the President has signed a new directive that provides guidance to the executive branch on any activity in space, emphasizing that space is a priority for the national security of our country," the US vice president said.

kvs likes this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon 11/12/20, 01:49 pm

thegopnik wrote:https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=0&nid=542996&lang=RU

"Moscow. December 10. INTERFAX-AVN - The head of Roscosmos, Dmitry Rogozin, called the statement of US Vice President Michael Pence about American leadership in space strange..

Oh just shut the fuck up already, you fat flat-earther moron

You proven your retard credentials long ago, no need to show off

If you can't be useful then at least keep your gob shut stop doing more damage

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 11/12/20, 04:28 pm

Americans are trash-talking trash.

Daniel_Admassu

Post  Daniel_Admassu 11/12/20, 09:17 pm

'Successful Explosive Crashes' aside, I never really understood the Starship concept. Is such relatively small single stage chemical rocket supposed to go on a trip to Mars, come back and land? Or is it a small scale demonstrator for now?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 11/12/20, 11:27 pm

He was responding to an idiot... something I agree he does do too often, but in this case I think everyone can agree Pence is a fool.

'Successful Explosive Crashes' aside, I never really understood the Starship concept. Is such relatively small single stage chemical rocket supposed to go on a trip to Mars, come back and land? Or is it a small scale demonstrator for now?

That was shifted to another thread, by all means continue to discuss, but with the videos in the relevant place:

https://www.russiadefence.net/t3448p200-us-launch-vehicles-and-spacecraft-discussion-news#304755

Smile
    Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko 12/12/20, 11:37 am

MOSCOW, December 11 - RIA Novosti. Roscosmos has signed a contract worth 4.2 billion rubles for the development of a preliminary design of the nuclear space tug Nuclon for flights to the Moon, Jupiter and Venus, follows from the materials of the state corporation posted on the public procurement website .
    https://ria.ru/20201211/kosmos-1588827682.html

dino00 and Scorpius like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius 12/12/20, 12:20 pm

Lecture on the history of Russian nuclear space energy development. Speech from 06:05, you need to know Russian.

Brief facts:
    1. Beryllium radiation protection.
    2. Helium-xenon mixture of the cooling circuit.
    3. Unique molybdenum-niobium monocrystalline fuel elements.
    4. Maximum heating temperatures of 2000 degrees.

Holy.F**king.Sh*t

Big_Gazza, kvs and thegopnik like this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko 12/12/20, 01:05 pm

Roskosmos told about the development of the latest spacecraft
    Today
    1 min.
    Roskosmos told about the development of the latest spacecraft
    If you read our media, you get the impression that Musk is about to build his Strship, and our "Eagle" will remain on paper. Do you know why? Because Musk's prototype exploded, but nothing exploded at Roscosmos.

Well, yes, you say, of course, if there is nothing to explode, then it does not explode. With Musk, everything is clear, he is a genius, because if his development has taken off, then he is great, he is working. That is, it has something to explode, so it explodes. Sometimes it seems that Musk is doing this on purpose in order to remind himself once again, and to attract new investors under the guise.

Okay, I don’t want to discuss Musk’s brainchild here, I think they will soon forget about him, as they have already forgotten about Hyperloop. I'm talking about "Eagle".

In fact, work is underway on it. It's just that the media don't write about it, who cares if nothing exploded? Who will read this? Now, if it exploded ...

Meanwhile

Specialists of the Russian Space Systems Holding (RKS, part of the ROSCOSMOS State Corporation) have successfully tested the first experimental rescued data storage device SZI-2 for the promising reusable manned spacecraft Orel. The device performs a function similar to the black box in aviation.
    Unlike the previous version of the SZI-M, which is installed on the Soyuz-MS spacecraft, in the SZI-2 the storage capacity has been increased from 4 to 96 GB. At the same time, due to the use of modern materials, the weight of the drive has decreased from 9.5 to 7.2 kg. The device is capable of withstanding impact on the ground at speeds up to 150 m / s and does not melt for 30 minutes at temperatures up to 700 ° C.
    And, by the way, the module is made using exclusively domestic component base.

But this is not all, of course, otherwise you will say that, they say, only a "black box" was done. No, NPO IT has also developed the KSZI-2 control and operational equipment. At the moment, preliminary tests have been completed on it, five sets of equipment have been manufactured and delivered to RSC Energia.

Of course, this is not the whole list, just from these examples you can see that work on a new spacecraft is underway, otherwise some people think that it is still only on paper and in the form of a layout. In fact, there is a systematic, routine and rather boring development. This is Musk's show with fireworks, but we at Roscosmos are just working, according to the schedule, methodically creating new systems of the future spacecraft.
    https://zen.yandex.ru/media/sdelanounas.ru/v-roskosmose-rasskazali-o-hode-razrabotki-noveishego-kosmicheskogo-korablia-5fd3c79f9480ec78dcd5edf4
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 12/12/20, 04:57 pm

The Soviet nuclear rocket test was spectacular. It could sustain operation at 3100C exit temperature for Hydrogen for 4000 seconds.
    By contrast the US test could sustain an exhaust temperature of no more than 2550C for 50 seconds. The US reactor was much heavier
    and consumed way more Hydrogen. The USSR continued development on the nuclear rocket engine during the 1980s. The US
    cancelled its program I believe around 1970.

In spite of the economic problems, Russian researchers continued to develop the design during the 2000s and the recent work
    has given a viable engine that can be used in actual space missions. The Russian nuclear rocket is not any sort of "demonstrator"
    or vapourware.

GarryB and Scorpius like this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik 12/12/20, 05:50 pm

Guess there was a edit article mistake, because earlier they said Jupiter's moon but now just Jupiter which does not seem right because of the crushing atmospheric pressure that planet has along with heat and some big red spot in Jupiter they say is like a giant tornado with wind speeds of 270-425 mph.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 12/12/20, 06:35 pm

thegopnik wrote:Guess there was a edit article mistake, because earlier they said Jupiter's moon but now just Jupiter which does not seem right because of the crushing atmospheric pressure that planet has along with heat and some big red spot in Jupiter they say is like a giant tornado with wind speeds of 270-425 mph.

The reference to Jupiter does not automatically mean any sort of entry into its atmosphere. It is normal to tag missions to its moons
    by the name of the planet around which they orbit. And journalists like to save article space by reducing flowery explanatory language.
    Cassini was called a mission to Saturn even though it was not some Saturn specific project.

I think they should focus on getting to Mars in a very short period of time to put yanqui blowhards in their place.

GarryB and thegopnik like this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko 12/12/20, 11:41 pm

The new Russian space station will be able to operate indefinitely:
    https://ria.ru/20201212/kosmos-1588873186.html

GarryB likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 27/04/24, 02:03 pm