Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+43
Godric
Singular_trafo
KoTeMoRe
Viktor
Grazneyar
DerWolf
VladimirSahin
sepheronx
George1
loko
Vann7
NationalRus
zg18
Austin
kvs
A Different Voice
Karl Haushofer
PapaDragon
higurashihougi
Kimppis
Rmf
Bidoul
franco
GarryB
OminousSpudd
Project Canada
TheArmenian
Walther von Oldenburg
Werewolf
Big_Gazza
medo
ExBeobachter1987
Backinblack
Hannibal Barca
AlfaT8
x_54_u43
JohninMK
Regular
magnumcromagnon
max steel
par far
Neutrality
flamming_python
47 posters

Russian Economy General News: #6

kvs
    kvs

Russian Economy General News: #6 - Page 5 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #6

Post  kvs Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:43 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    You are not the only one who would like to go to Sochi, whole place is booked beyond belief ever since Olympics. All those ''white elephant'' capacities will have to be expanded if this keeps up...

Also, yeah PC Master Race FTW, we are legion!!! Cool russia

Die, die, console fag!!!!

attack sniper

angel
    x_54_u43
    x_54_u43

Russian Economy General News: #6 - Page 5 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #6

Post  x_54_u43 Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:51 am

Vann7 wrote:

Indeed.. but lets say Russians citizens wants to buy an Iphone or are Xbox one right now or buy a video game to play its online  in their servers) ,downloaded digitally from american digital content distributor and only distributed by them. Will it be cheaper for Ukrainians or Japan citizens to buy those technologies with their credit cards /with the conversion transfer from their currency? than for Russian people ?

Haha, Russian's don't buy games. They pirate the living fuck out of anything, games, books, movies.

I was laughing my ass off when Netflix brought their service there. In Russia, all you need is internet connection and all media comes free with it.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:01 am

sepheronx wrote:Russian Ural Blend will more than likely be its own thing in the market this year due to Russias push foe the benchmark in St.pete stock exchange.  So Ural Crude will no longer be in the grips of both USD and Brent prices as this benchmark will be traded in Rubles.

Russia might as well insist upon payment in roubles. Nobody has that amount of roubles floating around the cookie jar so some sort of FX intermediary swap will have to be arranged.

In the middle of a gas war is a bad time to start insisting that you will only honour your own company's credit card. Lots of other stations will be anxious to suck up the business on whatever terms the customer finds most convenient.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:31 am

max steel wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Russian Ural Blend will more than likely be its own thing in the market this year due to Russias push foe the benchmark in St.pete stock exchange.  So Ural Crude will no longer be in the grips of both USD and Brent prices as this benchmark will be traded in Rubles.

Russia might as well insist upon payment in roubles. Nobody has that amount of roubles floating around the cookie jar so some sort of FX intermediary swap will have to be arranged.

In the middle of a gas war is a bad time to start insisting that you will only honour your own company's credit card. Lots of other stations will be anxious to suck up the business on whatever terms the customer finds most convenient.

Please stop copy+pasting what others have said. I seen this same comment on zerohedge.

No, they can purchase Rubles from the CBR itself, a conversion direct between currencies and not from one currency, to USD, then to Rubles.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:48 am

sepheronx wrote:
    max steel wrote:

Please stop copy+pasting what others have said.  I seen this same comment on zerohedge.

No, they can purchase Rubles from the CBR itself, a conversion direct between currencies and not from one currency, to USD, then to Rubles.

Because it's a genuine question raised by him. There is no harm in getting doubts answered.
    A Different Voice
    A Different Voice

Post  A Different Voice Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Per a an employment survey only 17% of Russian companies will index salaries for inflation in 2016. If that survey accurately reflects what will actually happen with salary indexing on a macro scale, then that is not a positive sign for the economy. I'm not sure I believe such salaries will largely remain unchanged in 2016.

survey: few employers to inflation adjust salaries

However, I had read that Putin ordered a 4% increase in the minimum wage for 2016.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:11 pm

A Different Voice wrote:
    Per a an employment survey only 17% of Russian companies will index salaries for inflation in 2016. If that survey accurately reflects what will actually happen with salary indexing on a macro scale, then that is not a positive sign for the economy. I'm not sure I believe such salaries will largely remain unchanged in 2016.

survey: few employers to inflation adjust salaries

However, I had read that Putin ordered a 4% increase in the minimum wage for 2016.
    The agreement was 7%, I dont know where this 4% comes from.  Minimum wage will be partially indexed but higher wages may not. That said, its a survey of 1000 buisnesses, so it really isnt the tall tale sign of anything.  Even the article goes on to say the indexing of wages may not exceed 7%.

With all this said, I wish indexing of wages happened in other countries.  Inflation is sky rocketing (coliflower as expensive as $8 cad), my wage didnt even go up 1%.  No ones did.  My dad still works for the government and his wage didnt index either.  Russians seem to have far better benefits than most.  Indexing of wages, increases in minimum wages, one of the lowest taxation in the world.  So even if there is a dip, people act as if the sky is falling.  But yet, we disnt even have half the things they do for social benefits and we act all rosey like all is good.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:08 pm

The sky is falling, and for some reason Kudrin's words are still relevant?? Shocked

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:50 pm

So the Rus gov will be slashing budget spending by 10% which is roughly 500B rubles and not sure what will be slashed.  It is predicted by Kudrin that dedense spending will be cut in 2 - 3 years time.  Theoretically, if that is the case, then the proposed SAP2025 may be remainders of what SAP2020 was supposed to be.

So in other words, stretching out SAP2020.
    A Different Voice
    A Different Voice

Post  A Different Voice Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:31 pm

sepheronx wrote:So the Rus gov will be slashing budget spending by 10% which is roughly 500B rubles and not sure what will be slashed.  It is predicted by Kudrin that dedense spending will be cut in 2 - 3 years time.  Theoretically, if that is the case, then the proposed SAP2025 may be remainders of what SAP2020 was supposed to be.

Looks like there will be plans made for 2016 spending cuts to be implemented IF oil prices and economic indicators do not move in a positive direction in the next couple of months. I would assume that such plans will not include 2016 defense spending cuts.

Regarding Kudrin's statement, a couple of points:

1. Despite news reports, Kudrin has publicly said he has no plans to work in the Russian government again.  If true,he will have little input on defense spending now and in the future.  
    2. From reading to this TASS report, Kudrin also  qualified his statement by saying IF Russia's current situation remains as it is now then defense spending will have to be reduced in 2 or 3 years. Most believe that Russia's economy will be experiencing significant growth 3 years from now.

Kudrin's statement on defense cuts

Not sure why he came out with this statement but it might annoy proponents of  Russian defense spending for the subject to come up in the media.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:56 pm

A Different Voice wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:So the Rus gov will be slashing budget spending by 10% which is roughly 500B rubles and not sure what will be slashed.  It is predicted by Kudrin that dedense spending will be cut in 2 - 3 years time.  Theoretically, if that is the case, then the proposed SAP2025 may be remainders of what SAP2020 was supposed to be.

Looks like there will be plans made for 2016 spending cuts to be implemented IF oil prices and economic indicators do not move in a positive direction in the next couple of months. I would assume that such plans will not include 2016 defense spending cuts.

Regarding Kudrin's statement, a couple of points:

1. Despite news reports, Kudrin has publicly said he has no plans to work in the Russian government again.  If true,he will have little input on defense spending now and in the future.  
    2. From reading to this TASS report, Kudrin also  qualified his statement by saying IF Russia's current situation remains as it is now then defense spending will have to be reduced in 2 or 3 years. Most believe that Russia's economy will be experiencing significant growth 3 years from now.

Kudrin's statement on defense cuts

Not sure why he came out with this statement but it might annoy proponents of  Russian defense spending for the subject to come up in the media.

Well, Kudrin's choice of words have seemed to have changed over the year.  He seems to be more calm and less aggressive than before.  As well, he isn't trying to use popular terms anymore.  I think he either realized that it does him no good and maybe by the grace of god, he changed his opinion.  His statement on defense wasn't actually wrong, as he did state that the idea behind purchasing the weapons is not due to outside factors but the idea that this is what the country needs in order to protect itself from all types of forces.  So he said it is important but doesnt mean that cuts cant happen.

But you are indeed correct sir, that he has no say in anything related to the defense or the budget or anything, it is purely his opinion.  I just think there are indeed projects that can be cut, shelved or reduced purchases and or moved to something else.  For instance, PAK FA is a great jet, but it is apparently expensive.  So why not find a middle ground? Maybe the components used in PAK FA can be used in the Su-35 and Su-30SM in the future and more purchases of those jets with modern equipment onboard will also do the job just fine and be significantly cheaper.  And thus be easier to purchase and budget.  Same with destroyers.  Instead of those, purchase more frigates to get more numbers in, and modern frigates from Russia have as much or greater firepower than most destroyers anyway.  Maybe change the outlook of all the different types of aircrafts being acquired and or maybe armored vehicles, etc etc etc.  It doesn't mean cut number of procured systems, but it means changing the types of equipment to be purchased to reduce overall costs.  Lots of factors.

Edit: and yeah, you are also correct that the 10% budget cuts will happen only if the indicators to the economy are the same in the next couple of months.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 am

An unexpected decline in oil and other raw material prices prevent us from a possible economic crisis in 2015.
    With the turbulence remaining and decrease of sales in many key sectors a major crisis might still be in the next corner despite all predictions.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:04 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:An unexpected decline in oil and other raw material prices prevent us from a possible economic crisis in 2015.
    With the turbulence remaining and decrease of sales in many key sectors a major crisis might still be in the next corner despite all predictions.

Very true. If it holds out for a while, things will look grim. I was reading on zerohedge about various industries, including Auto in US are getting hit pretty hard regardless of how much money is printed.

I think this "tightening the belt" is causing more harm than anything to everyone. I saw what the consumers are doing in some graphs, and it looks like people are really not spending
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:30 am

Last time around, the ways Western countries found to battle the crisis out were:
    -by increasing public debt
    -by decreasing interest rates even to negative figures
    -by using their political leverage to control their populations
    -by exporting the American crisis first in Europe and later to the emerging economies
    -by using the dollar as a safe heaven
    Guess what. From all this tools, only the dollar as safe heaven is not yet exhausted and even this measure is seriously limited by the decrease in oil trade volume,
    by the de-dollarization process and by the fact that the dollar is already quite appreciated as the recent yuan depreciation exposes.
    If we were to be hit again soon, IS GONNA BE MEGA!!
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:34 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:Last time around, the ways Western countries found to battle the crisis out were:
    -by increasing public debt
    -by decreasing interest rates even to negative figures
    -by using their political leverage to control their populations
    -by exporting the American crisis first in Europe and later to the emerging economies
    -by using the dollar as a safe heaven
    Guess what. From all this tools, only the dollar as safe heaven is not yet exhausted and even this measure is seriously limited by the decrease in oil trade volume,
    by the de-dollarization process and by the fact that the dollar is already quite appreciated as the recent yuan depreciation exposes.
    If we were to be hit again soon, IS GONNA BE MEGA!!

That is what is going to hurt and most speculate the same. Here in Canada, Alberta, we are in a lot of trouble as it is (you probably read all the news and saw the stock market heavily fluctuate). But things on the ground is getting pretty bad when I have people of all types that worked higher up in the food chain in the oil industry asking me for a job where I am. And where I work, it isn't fun nor is it even a good paying job. But there really isn't anything anymore and most figure by late this year, early next year, people are gonna pack up and leave. Already suicide rate is drastically increasing in Alberta. And Alberta was a huge financial provider to Quebec.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:47 am

If the next crisis comes down heavily there are some countries than might go busted and nobody thinks about them.
    France, Italy, UK, Japan and Canada are the dark horses. Of course Greece or Portugal but this is to be expected right?
    But if one of those get busted some will become mega rich if they had invested in their CDS's
    A new crisis will quite probably hit in the next 3-4 years, especially since we never recovered from the previous.
    It's already 8 years from the previous one and history says that a reasonably big crisis hits every 9 years on average the last 200 years.
    x_54_u43
    x_54_u43

Post  x_54_u43 Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:28 am

sepheronx wrote:

For instance, PAK FA is a great jet, but it is apparently expensive.  So why not find a middle ground? Maybe the components used in PAK FA can be used in the Su-35 and Su-30SM in the future and more purchases of those jets with modern equipment onboard will also do the job just fine and be significantly cheaper.  And thus be easier to purchase and budget.  Same with destroyers.  Instead of those, purchase more frigates to get more numbers in, and modern frigates from Russia have as much or greater firepower than most destroyers anyway.  Maybe change the outlook of all the different types of aircrafts being acquired and or maybe armored vehicles, etc etc etc.  It doesn't mean cut number of procured systems, but it means changing the types of equipment to be purchased to reduce overall costs.  Lots of factors.

Edit: and yeah, you are also correct that the 10% budget cuts will happen only if the indicators to the economy are the same in the next couple of months.

It might be better to phase out much of the old equipment, and buy new. Cutting down on size and decreasing conscript percentage would also be a good move. Let the young men get jobs, go into labor force etc, boosting the civilian economy, etc. Go full volunteer maybe(big maybe, I don't know the current balance).

Back in the 90s, Russia put nearly all of its money into R&D, now its paying fruit. Better to eat that fruit instead of preserved canned food.

Besides, buying Armata/Kurganets/Bumerang would do far more for the economy, imagine how many people are employed in designing, testing, creating,etc. Same for PAK-FA as well.

However, somethings still have to be cut, but not all the way. Instead of building lots of frigates to substitute for Lider, spend the money on testing for Lider, things like testing integration of its systems, radars, missiles, etc. So when there is money, Lider can start without a hitch.

There are some things that just have to be maintained.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:57 am

x_54_u43 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

For instance, PAK FA is a great jet, but it is apparently expensive.  So why not find a middle ground? Maybe the components used in PAK FA can be used in the Su-35 and Su-30SM in the future and more purchases of those jets with modern equipment onboard will also do the job just fine and be significantly cheaper.  And thus be easier to purchase and budget.  Same with destroyers.  Instead of those, purchase more frigates to get more numbers in, and modern frigates from Russia have as much or greater firepower than most destroyers anyway.  Maybe change the outlook of all the different types of aircrafts being acquired and or maybe armored vehicles, etc etc etc.  It doesn't mean cut number of procured systems, but it means changing the types of equipment to be purchased to reduce overall costs.  Lots of factors.

It might be better to phase out much of the old equipment, and buy new. Cutting down on size and decreasing conscript percentage would also be a good move. Let the young men get jobs, go into labor force etc, boosting the civilian economy, etc. Go full volunteer maybe(big maybe, I don't know the current balance).

Back in the 90s, Russia put nearly all of its money into R&D, now its paying fruit. Better to eat that fruit instead of preserved canned food.

Besides, buying Armata/Kurganets/Bumerang would do far more for the economy, imagine how many people are employed in designing, testing, creating,etc. Same for PAK-FA as well.

However, somethings still have to be cut, but not all the way. Instead of building lots of frigates to substitute for Lider, spend the money on testing for Lider, things like testing integration of its systems, radars, missiles, etc. So when there is money, Lider can start without a hitch.

There are some things that just have to be maintained.

Oh of course. I am just saying there could be an alternative, something cheaper. We will see what Mikoyan will showcase as they said they are working on a 5th gen jet under their own initiative. If it ends up cheap and using MiG-35 parts, then I see it as ideal system to obtain. I think the Frigates and Corvettes are needed as there are so many ships that needs to be decommissioned. As well, I agree, have Lider and such but dont be over ambitious. Armata, Kurganets and Boomerang I view are vital for procurement as well, due to newer tech, and the fact that long run, will be cheaper.
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:19 am

Kudrin: low public debt will help Russia to overcome the crisis

http://ria.ru/economy/20160113/1359176906.html

Reserve fund and low government debt to help the Russian Federation to pass the current crisis, said the ex-Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin.

MOSCOW, January 13 - RIA Novosti. Former Russian Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin said that to cope with the current financial crisis the country can not only through the Reserve Fund, but also due to the low public debt.

Earlier, First Deputy Chairman of the Bank of Russia Ksenia Yudaeva reported that the maximum possible debt that does not threaten macroeconomic stability is not more than 25-30% of GDP.

"The current crisis will help us not only to pass the Reserve Fund, and low public debt - 15.5% of GDP," - Kudrin wrote on Twitter.
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:20 am

So the current Public Debt of 15.5 % and Central Bank think Public Debt can be increased to up to 30 % without affecting macro-economic stability

Kudrin: low public debt will help Russia to overcome the crisis

http://ria.ru/economy/20160113/1359176906.html

Reserve fund and low government debt to help the Russian Federation to pass the current crisis, said the ex-Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin.

MOSCOW, January 13 - RIA Novosti. Former Russian Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin said that to cope with the current financial crisis the country can not only through the Reserve Fund, but also due to the low public debt.

Earlier, First Deputy Chairman of the Bank of Russia Ksenia Yudaeva reported that the maximum possible debt that does not threaten macroeconomic stability is not more than 25-30% of GDP.

"The current crisis will help us not only to pass the Reserve Fund, and low public debt - 15.5% of GDP," - Kudrin wrote on Twitter.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:50 am

Suddenly Kudrin making sense after loosing his job. Must be hard for him Smile

Russian Economy General News: #6 - Page 5 10032410

Last edited by max steel on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 am

Golikova: Russia's budget deficit in 2015 amounted to 2 trillion rubles

http://ria.ru/economy/20160114/1359533249.html

MOSCOW, January 14 - RIA Novosti. The deficit of the federal budget of the Russian Federation at the end of 2015 amounted to 2 trillion rubles, said the head of the Accounting Chamber Tatyana Golikova.

"According to the data, the federal budget deficit in 2015 amounted to 2 trillion rubles, expenses - 15.6 trillion rubles, revenues - 13.6 trillion rubles," - said Golikova said at the Gaidar Forum in RANHiGS.

She recalled that, according to preliminary data, the budget deficit of the Russian Federation at the end of 2015 amounted to 2.6% of GDP.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Well, reorganization and restructuring did stop the growth for a bit. But hopefully things will be much better after all works are done.

https://www.rt.com/business/328915-russia-social-spending-2016/

All government social programs will get less funding this year, according to Russia's Deputy Economic Development Minister Oleg Fomichev. However, no programs will be shut down, he added.

"Such programs are a very important part of state activity. Cuts in spending are certainly possible, but complete termination of programs is out of the question,” he told RIA Novosti.
    A Different Voice
    A Different Voice

Post  A Different Voice Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:04 am

A bit more info about VEB and the National Wealth Fund.

VEB situation summary

NWF's assets deposited in VEB
    Backinblack

Post  Backinblack Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:22 am

Some more forecasts from Kudrin

Russia’s budget will have to be inevitably reduced in two or three years’ time, if the economic situation remains as it is today, Russia’s former finance minister, Alexey Kudrin, told the Gaidar Economic Forum in Moscow on Wednesday.

http://mil.today/2016/Economy1/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:58 am