Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+87
Book.
triphosgene
franco
eridan
Flanky
JohnSnow
calripson
:JunioR:
indochina
Captain Nemo
Zhukov-Patton
AbsoluteZero
Mindstorm
NITRO
TheGeorgian
nobunaga
auslander
Swede55
BKP
Siempre_Leal
KoTeMoRe
Shadåw
Khepesh
ebobat
zg18
Neutrality
archangelski
Alex555
Big_Gazza
Strizh
PapaDragon
Vympel
macedonian
rtech
Flyboy77
Mefesto
Acheron
alexZam
Bolt
sheytanelkebir
Redboy
medo
Orocairion
Austin
Cpt Caz
mack8
Kyo
MilSpec
kvs
Viktor
cracker
max steel
2SPOOKY4U
xeno
ult
Mike E
volna
smerch24
tanino
TheArmenian
Brovich
chicken
mutantsushi
Morpheus Eberhardt
jhelb
sepheronx
Regular
Dima
etaepsilonk
Cyberspec
VladimirSahin
KomissarBojanchev
AJ-47
Stealthflanker
victor1985
collegeboy16
Vann7
higurashihougi
George1
runaway
akd
flamming_python
Werewolf
GarryB
TR1
Zivo
magnumcromagnon
91 posters

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #2

medo
    medo

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #2 - Page 12 Empty Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #2

Post  medo Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Wow, they are great. Hardly wait to see them fully uncovered. I wonder if T-15 IFV could swim?
    Redboy
    Redboy

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #2 - Page 12 Empty Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #2

Post  Redboy Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 pm

https://imgur.com/hBUlVe5

Picture is kinda big, so i use imgur link. So what are your guesses? Some part of active protection system? Because it looks too small for smoke grenades, afterall you can see smoke nads on that picture too and it doesnt look same or if anyone has better idea, then tell us Very Happy
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Redboy wrote:https://imgur.com/hBUlVe5

Picture is kinda big, so i use imgur link. So what are your guesses? Some part of active protection system? Because it looks too small for smoke grenades, afterall you can see smoke nads on that picture too and it doesnt look same or if anyone has better idea, then tell us Very Happy

The big tubes are the APS, the circled piece is likely a directional smoke grenade discharger. Systems like that can accurately put a grenade between the tank and the incoming missiles. Poor old FGM-148. Laughing
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:23 pm

I think that small thing is the smoke grenades.

The APS munitions are the larger tubes ahead of it.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Zivo wrote:

The big tubes are the APS, the circled piece is likely a directional smoke grenade discharger. Systems like that can accurately put a grenade between the tank and the incoming missiles. Poor old FGM-148. Laughing

Your probably right, it makes sense for the bigger tubes to be APS because if 'Afghanistan' APS is supposed to work as advertised than it's going need a significant amount of explosive charge to defeat the best NATO APFSDS rounds that they can offer. The question is if 'Afghanistan' is supposed to be capable of defeating top attack munitions is the tarp covering up the vertically pointing APS dispensers?
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Your probably right, it makes sense for the bigger tubes to be APS because if 'Afghanistan' APS is supposed to work as advertised than it's going need a significant amount of explosive charge to defeat the best NATO APFSDS rounds that they can offer. The question is if 'Afghanistan' is supposed to be capable of defeating top attack munitions is the tarp covering up the vertically pointing APS dispensers?

No. The key parameter in "counter APFSDS" APS are miss distance and range not warhead weight.

500 grams of HE exploded 5 cm above the APFSDS could deflect it by 241 cm or over two meter, assuming interception range (Where the APS munition encounter the missile) of 100 m. Flying on top of the APFSDS... The explosion will deflect it straight to the ground thus won't hit the tank at all.

The explosion may also induce severe yaw to the APFSDS.. This is the mechanism employed by Israeli Iron Fist. Thus reducing penetration depth.

Anyway.. i did that calculation based on Journal of Impact engineering paper

_G_Iosilevskii;_N_Farber_--_Effect_of_a_spherical_explosion_upon_the_flight_path_and_spatial_orientation_of_a_projectile-1.pdf]Effects of spherical explosion upon flight path and spatial orientation of a projectile

In order to reach such miss distance, the APS must have high accuracy. This can be achieved by combination of IR and Radar sensor.
    Dima
    Dima

Post  Dima Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Guys....the footprint!
    Video grab from the parade rehersal.

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #2 - Page 12 Parade10

Compare the track length of the last T-90 in the above pic to that of Armata MBT in the middle in the below pic.

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #2 - Page 12 Parade11

T-90 and Armata MBT have almost same footprints with T-14 slightly longer. Obvious reference being the concrete.
    cracker

Post  cracker Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:29 pm

7 smaller close together wheels vs 6 bigger espaced wheels.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:22 pm

medo wrote:I wonder if T-15 IFV could swim?
    The shape of the hull would suggest so, but weight and propulsion also need to be optimized... We'll see.
    akd

Post  akd Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12 pm

I think you have the two mixed up, i.e. solid box is radar, big tubes are kill munitions and the small cluster of tubes is smoke.

Mike E wrote:
    medo wrote:I wonder if T-15 IFV could swim?
    The shape of the hull would suggest so, but weight and propulsion also need to be optimized... We'll see.

No, tank-based IFV will not be amphibious. It will be interesting to see what, if any, provisions are made for deep-wading.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:10 am

medo wrote:Wow, they are great. Hardly wait to see them fully uncovered. I wonder if T-15 IFV could swim?

It will swim the same day it will fly Wink .
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:13 am

TR1 wrote:
    medo wrote:Wow, they are great. Hardly wait to see them fully uncovered. I wonder if T-15 IFV could swim?

It should have the ability to snorkle, right?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:32 am

sepheronx wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

It should have the ability to snorkle, right?

Yes, but only if Rogozin is propelling it by blowing hot air out of the vehicles rear.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:10 am

Rogozin or not, the T-15 is a BEAST Exclamation ....it looks better armoured than I imagined
    cracker

Post  cracker Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 am

not sure about T-15... ok it's great... but, usefulness? imho production should be small, must not waste too much money in that thing, K-25 is much more usefull.

2 urban fighting brigades maybe, for a total of 300 T-15, not more. Offered for export though, it might be very useful for many nations, but that won't be before 2020
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:45 am

cracker wrote:not sure about T-15... ok it's great... but, usefulness? imho production should be small, must not waste too much money in that thing, K-25 is much more usefull.

2 urban fighting brigades maybe, for a  total of 300 T-15, not more. Offered for export though, it might be very useful for many nations, but that won't be before 2020

An APC with the armor of a tank, that can go wherever the T-14 goes and use the same parts, fuel, etc. is less useful than K-25?

You cannot really compare the two, its not just invaluable in urban environments, it can roll right with the tanks on the battlefield and support them with it's own armament.

Remember that these are vehicle families that are meant to be able to meet all task required.

Urban fighting, capturing areas, combat engineering, recon etc.

If a situation requires a vehicle with the armor of a tank, then it makes sense to have your APC's equipped with similar armor specs.

A fighting force is only as strong as its weakest link, and when your weakest link has the same armor as the strongest one, well....
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 am

Don't worry, if You see it in flesh it means it has it's place in the system.
    Glad to see Russia not sticking to size restrictions no more. APCs, IFVs and tank look huge compared to their predecessors. Kurganets-25 look awesome if You ask me. Side armor is pure sex!
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:16 am

I'm not convinced they are that huge.

BTR-90 was already a giant compared to BTR-80.

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:52 am

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #2 - Page 12 3995479

More APS tubes.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 am

Seems like T-15 will be more similar to the Terminator rather than the 120mm gun model, isn't ? Question Idea
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:26 am

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #2 - Page 12 Jtdxlm5i
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 am

higurashihougi wrote:Seems like T-15 will be more similar to the Terminator rather than the 120mm gun model, isn't ? Question Idea
    The T-15 is an IFV. It would need an under turret space free of the vehicles ammo to make way for some passengers, those ammo would then be stored instead in the turret bustle. The turret bustle however is really small compared to the under turret space- you cant have a combat appreciable amount of 120mm mortar rounds just storing them in the bustle. So Epoha with 30mm gun and Kornets it is.
    sheytanelkebir

Post  sheytanelkebir Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Orocairion wrote:
    Austin wrote:So Armata chassis has two crew ? I read it was 3 crew and I dont see the hatch for 3rd crew

On top of the tarp that covers the turret, there seems to be a hatch, judging by the bit that can be removed on it.

that's what I noticed too. I wonder if the gunner sits in the turret???

although at the same time the vision block right in the centre of the hull under the gun seems to indicate that the gunner (or commander) sits there...
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:07 pm

sheytanelkebir wrote:
    Orocairion wrote:
    Austin wrote:So Armata chassis has two crew ? I read it was 3 crew and I dont see the hatch for 3rd crew

On top of the tarp that covers the turret, there seems to be a hatch, judging by the bit that can be removed on it.

that's what I noticed too. I wonder if the gunner sits in the turret???

although at the same time the vision block right in the centre of the hull under the gun seems to indicate that the gunner (or commander) sits there...

I guess that the turret can be manned, mainly for maintenance, reloading the carousel and and maybe also as blow off panel but i hope the carousel and turret are sperated and the blow off panels direct the cook offs somewhere else to avoid destruction of turret interior, but all crew should sit in the armored capsule.
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:25 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Seems like T-15 will be more similar to the Terminator rather than the 120mm gun model, isn't ? Question Idea
    The T-15 is an IFV. It would need an under turret space free of the vehicles ammo to make way for some passengers, those ammo would then be stored instead in the turret bustle. The turret bustle however is really small compared to the under turret space- you cant have a combat appreciable amount of 120mm mortar rounds just storing them in the bustle. So Epoha with 30mm gun and Kornets it is.
    Still 30 mm is extremely underwhelming for such a heavy IFV. Is there chance that this unarmored epoha EGT crap is only temporary. The T-15 asking for an armored unmanned 57mm turret right now.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am