Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+76
Heartbeer
SturmGuard
jhelb
kvs
Admin
calripson
Boshoed
NationalRus
Karl Haushofer
Project Canada
Zhongqing
Hannibal Barca
Osobist
alexZam
ExBeobachter1987
Walther von Oldenburg
Neudorfor
Monarchist
ATP_77
Kimppis
Shadåw
T-44
Dima
par far
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
whir
OminousSpudd
JacquesdeMolay
The Ottoman
The Mule
Book.
HUNTER VZLA
George1
Stealthflanker
Chersonesus
Khepesh
iraqidabab
Neutrality
franco
higurashihougi
Relapse
Flyboy77
Cyberspec
Siempre_Leal
GarryB
sheytanelkebir
medo
Vann7
Erk
VladimirSahin
smerch24
zg18
flamming_python
mack8
x_54_u43
Zivo
sepheronx
Werewolf
Cucumber Khan
magnumcromagnon
JohninMK
auslander
Godric
Akula971
KoTeMoRe
max steel
zorobabel
Regular
Hachimoto
Rodinazombie
Viktor
d_taddei2
ult
Morpheus Eberhardt
PapaDragon
Solncepek
80 posters

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

zorobabel
    zorobabel

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

Post  zorobabel Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:43 pm

Dima wrote:
    Neutrality wrote:

Retards shooting with AKs.
    Where is it from?
    Hope its not the Latakia perimeter...if it is, the Russians needs to clear the area lest the terrorists manage to slip in few rockets and target the airbase.
    It's from near Hama where the current offensive is taking place.
    auslander
    auslander

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

Post  auslander Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:56 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

Seven decades and four big fleets...and in the end it is little Caspian flotilla that has taken the first scalp...  love

Life is strange indeed. thumbsup
    I was also thinking that. Caspian Flotilla the least likely to ever see any action, and now.....

Still rather surprised this did not come from the ships in the Mediterranean

This reminds me back in Ukraine shindig when auslander kept saying that we should "ignore shiny object in one hand and focus on what other hand is doing... " or something like that.

Also:

Both Su-34 and Buyan-M will be hot items this Christmas shopping season... thumbsup russia

Yup, I did indeed say that in just about those words and it is a good philosophy to live by.

As for Gruzya, I'll give their navy this, they did come out and fight the Black Sea Flot, with Mockba being the flag. If memory serves two Gruszya ships went down, two more limped back to port after the AIC of the Flot countermanded the order to sink the damaged ships, his comment being 'We will take care of them shortly, let them get to port and get their sailors of the ships.' Damage to the Black Sea Flot was one near miss that literally scratched the paint on the hull of the missile ship 'Mirage', no injuries to Black Sea Flot sailors. The remains of the Gruzya Navy were sunk at quayside over the next 36 hours, don't remember if it was by air or land assets.
    HUNTER VZLA
    HUNTER VZLA

Post  HUNTER VZLA Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Russia Navy fire 26x 3M14 Kalibr cruise missile from 4 surface ships in Caspian Sea against 11 targets in Syria

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 CQt6hEBW8AA0akd

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 CQt6hD5WsAAOGiK

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 CQt6hD9WsAACc_A
    Solncepek
    Solncepek

Post  Solncepek Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm

US officials tell Fox News Russian fighter jets closely approached U.S. predator drones over Syria at least three times in the past week.

Russian fighter jets shadowed U.S. predator drones on at least three separate occasions high above Syria since the start of Russia’s air campaign last week, according to two U.S. officials briefed on this latest intelligence from the region.

“The first time it happened, we thought the Russians got lucky. Then it happened two more times,” said one official.

Both officials said that the incidents took place over ISIS-controlled Syria, including its de facto headquarters in Raqqa, as well as along the Turkish-Syrian border near Korbani. Another occurred in the northwest, near the highly contested city of Aleppo.

The U.S. military's MQ-1 Predator drone is not a stealth aircraft.

"It is easy to see a predator on radar," said one official.

The Russians have not attempted to shoot down any of the U.S. drones, but instead have flown "intercept tracks," a doctrinal term meaning the Russians flew close enough to make their presence felt, according to one official.

One other official said, “the Russians flew very close, but did not impede the drone flight.”

“The first time it happened, we thought the Russians got lucky. Then it happened two more times."

- U.S. official briefed on intelligence
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:40 pm

x_54_u43 wrote:Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 14442210

Happy Birthday Putin!

Did it hit or not ?
    ShahryarHedayatiSHBA

Post  ShahryarHedayatiSHBA Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 pm

How Iranian general plotted out Syrian assault in Moscow

Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander Qassem Soleimani (L) stands at the frontline during offensive operations against Islamic State militants in the town of Tal Ksaiba in Salahuddin province March 8, 2015.
    REUTERS/STRINGER

At a meeting in Moscow in July, a top Iranian general unfurled a map of Syria to explain to his Russian hosts how a series of defeats for President Bashar al-Assad could be turned into victory - with Russia's help.

Major General Qassem Soleimani's visit to Moscow was the first step in planning for a Russian military intervention that has reshaped the Syrian war and forged a new Iranian-Russian alliance in support of Assad.

As Russian warplanes bomb rebels from above, the arrival of Iranian special forces for ground operations underscores several months of planning between Assad's two most important allies, driven by panic at rapid insurgent gains.

Soleimani is the commander of the Quds Force, the elite extra-territorial special forces arm of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, and reports directly to Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Senior regional sources say he has already been overseeing ground operations against insurgents in Syria and is now at the heart of planning for the new Russian- and Iranian-backed offensive.

That expands his regional role as the battlefield commander who has also steered the fight in neighboring Iraq by Iranian-backed Shi'ite militia against Islamic State.

His Moscow meeting outlined the deteriorating situation in Syria, where rebel advances toward the coast were posing a danger to the heartland of Assad's Alawite sect, whereRussia maintains its only Mediterranean naval base in Tartous.

"Soleimani put the map of Syria on the table. The Russians were very alarmed, and felt matters were in steep decline and that there were real dangers to the regime. The Iranians assured them there is still the possibility to reclaim the initiative," a senior regional official said. "At that time, Soleimani played a role in assuring them that we haven't lost all the cards."

"SEND SOLEIMANI"

Three senior officials in the region say Soleimani's July trip was preceded by high-level Russian-Iranian contacts that produced political agreement on the need to pump in new support for Assad as his losses accelerated.

Their accounts suggest planning for the intervention began to germinate several months earlier. It means Tehran and Moscow had been discussing ways to prop up Assad by force even as Western officials were describing what they believed was new flexibility in Moscow's stance on his future.

Before the latest moves, Iran had aided Assad militarily by mobilizing Shi'ite militias to fight alongside the Syrian army, and dispatching Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps officers as advisors. A number of them have been killed.

Russia, an ally of Damascus since the Cold War, had supplied weapons to the Syrian army and shielded Damascus diplomatically from Western attempts to sanction Assad at theUnited Nations.

Their support did not prevent rebels - some of them backed by Assad's regional foes - from reducing Assad's control of Syria to around one fifth of its territory in a four-year-long war estimated to have killed 250,000 people.

The decision for a joint Iranian-Russian military effort in Syria was taken at a meeting between Russia's foreign minister and Khamenei a few months ago, said a senior official of a country in the region, involved in security matters.

"Soleimani, assigned by Khamenei to run the Iranian side of the operation, traveled to Moscow to discuss details. And he also traveled to Syria several times since then," the official said.

The Russian government says its Syria deployment came as the result of a formal request from Assad, who himself laid out the problems facing the Syrian military in stark terms in July, saying it faced a manpower problem.

Khamenei also sent a senior envoy to Moscow to meet President Vladimir Putin, another senior regional official said. "Putin told him 'Okay we will intervene. Send Qassem Soleimani'. He went to explain the map of the theater."

RESIDENT IN DAMASCUS

Russian warplanes, deployed at an airfield in Latakia, began mounting air strikes against rebels in Syria last week.

Moscow says it is targeting Islamic State, but many of Russia's air strikes have hit other insurgents, including groups backed by Assad's foreign enemies, notably in the northwest where rebels seized strategically important towns including Jisr al-Shughour earlier this year.

In the biggest deployment of Iranian forces yet, sources told Reuters last week that hundreds of troops have arrived since late September to take part in a major ground offensive planned in the west and northwest.

Around 3,000 fighters from the Iranian-backed Lebanese group Hezbollah have also mobilized for the battle, along with Syrian army troops, said one of the senior regional sources.

The military intervention in Syria is set out in an agreement between Moscow and Tehran that says Russian air strikes will support ground operations by Iranian, Syrian and Lebanese Hezbollah forces, said one of the senior regional sources.

The agreement also included the provision of more sophisticated Russian weapons to the Syrian army, and the establishment of joint operations rooms that would bring those allies together, along with the government of Iraq, which is allied both to Iran and the United States.

One of the operations rooms is in Damascus and another is in Baghdad.

"Soleimani is almost resident in Damascus, or let's say he goes there a lot and you can find him between meetings with President Assad and visits to the theater of operations like any other soldier," said one of the senior regional officials.

Syria's foreign minister said on Monday that the Russian air strikes had been planned for months.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/06/us-mideast-crisis-syria-soleimani-insigh-idUSKCN0S02BV20151006
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:43 pm

^^^ Dude, we get it, chill....
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 pm

After the use of Kalibr cruise missiles from Caspian ships, RuAF should install those missiles as well on Su-34 and Su-30SM planes to give them real stand off weapons to attack the most important targets.
    par far

Post  par far Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:27 pm

medo wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    George1 wrote:
    zg18 wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Buyan M corvettes are the only ships with cruise missiles in Caspitan fleet... and they use 3M54 Club. Land attack variant 3M14T should have quite significant range, by some reports even around 1500km. But each Buyan can carry only 8 of them and only 3 Club capable ships exist in Caspian fleet... Grad Sviyazhsk, Uglich and Veliki Ustyug carry them to my knowledge.

Nyet tovarisch , two Gepard class frigates "Dagestan" and "Tatarstan" have Kalibr also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gepard-class_frigate

only Dagestan i think, 1 from 2
    Any ideas why from the Caspian not the Med?

Because missiles fly over Iran and Iraq to their targets instead over Turkey or other NATO members.

Could the Russian navy not launch the missiles from the coast of Latakia(just wondering)?

I think the purpose of these missile launch is to show Iraq(and the world for that matter) that Russia does not need only fighter jets and military helicopters to attack the terrorists, it sends the message that Russia has other options as well.
    Solncepek
    Solncepek

Post  Solncepek Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Interview with former Syrian Air Force officer. Fleet of Russia, the United States and the fear of missing British UAV. Part 2

Greetings to my readers, publish the second part of an interview with former Syrian Air Force fighter pilot.

Jamal, tell me what you know about the events surrounding the Turkish F-16s, there was what was not, as they say pilots?

You ask about the first case, or what happened today? Russian pilots have met three times with the Turkish F-16s, a time in Turkey. Nothing unusual. Dispersed.

That is, the other two times Turkish fighter aircraft violated Syrian border?

No. Before that, they allowed themselves to do it. They bombed the Kurds. But with the start of the operation when approaching the Russian border to Syria they are caught radar Fleet, as well as fighter aircraft. That they and panic.

And what about the Navy? What role it performs?

Russian Navy serves as a cover for Russian airbase from any serious opponents. Under the pretext of the exercise, Russia closed the airspace around the entire coast of Syria. And I swear, there are afraid to stick their noses. British drone sent from Cyprus. They lost it. I do not know, but the stories with the help of a complex on drone ships broke off all communication with the command center. He fell into the sea.

That is downed drone UK?

No. He fell.

The Internet is full of articles that America is trying to interfere with Russia, whether the fear of Syria?

No. In Syria, the only fear that Russia will leave. Americans we are not afraid. Moreover, the Americans have already tried several times to carry out exploration on the part of Iraq. And while unfolded. Americans today have a lot to talk. But they do not have technology in the region, capable of resisting Russian.

Say, are not you afraid that as an officer, though the former, you can pursue the disclosure of certain information to me?

No. All that I tell, is known throughout Latakia.

Jamal, I read today in the Israeli website that pilots are fighting in Syria from North Korea?

Lie. Like everything that is written on Israeli sites. They constantly lie. They write, that's what we bombard them. When well aware that shoot at them terrorists against whom we are fighting. Israel lies.

Anything is known today about the allegedly downed plane near Damascus Syrian Air Force?

It is, I can not say. I do not hide. I dont know. If you find out, I'll let you know. I hope this is another lie militants.

Thank you, I hope for the third part.

Give me THANKS RUSSIA (the last two words he wrote in Russian, my note).

Then my text. I tried to stretch the questions until the evening of 6 October make it more relevant. I hope I did.

When the third is to publish accurate information can not give.
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:42 pm

par far wrote:
    medo wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    George1 wrote:
    zg18 wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Buyan M corvettes are the only ships with cruise missiles in Caspitan fleet... and they use 3M54 Club. Land attack variant 3M14T should have quite significant range, by some reports even around 1500km. But each Buyan can carry only 8 of them and only 3 Club capable ships exist in Caspian fleet... Grad Sviyazhsk, Uglich and Veliki Ustyug carry them to my knowledge.

Nyet tovarisch , two Gepard class frigates "Dagestan" and "Tatarstan" have Kalibr also

Because missiles fly over Iran and Iraq to their targets instead over Turkey or other NATO members.

Could the Russian navy not launch the missiles from the coast of Latakia(just wondering)?

I think the purpose of these missile launch is to show Iraq(and the world for that matter) that Russia does not need only fighter jets and military helicopters to attack the terrorists, it sends the message that Russia has other options as well.

In my opinion the launches were from the Caspian for more than one reason. First, every Black Sea Flot ship in the Med has more than one NATO shadow and launching a flight of cruise missiles in the Med would generate huge angst and worry from NATO. Two, launching from the Caspian in essence brought the missiles in from a vastly different angle than would have been expected although I doubt the terrorists in Syria expected a missile attack, especially such a large and diverse attack that hurt them rather muchly.

Russia is playing this operation by the book as far as politics are concerned and Russia is almost bending over backward to keep things on a relatively even keel and to prevent an accidental altercation between RuAF and NATO air assets.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:46 pm

Using the Caspian Fleet was mostly due to the element of surprise IMHO. Suppose someone is monitoring flights 24/7 and tips someone off about an incoming strike. No one is going to report an incoming cruise missile on time.

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:50 pm

zg18 wrote:

Ah, so Dagestan has them too, i thought they are both armed with KH35s, i didnt know that. Well... you learn something new every day. So yeah then math is fine. Coz i did not understand how did they launch 26 while having only 24 tubes available there.

I was even wondering if they have real weapon carrying resupply vessel in Caspian fleet.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Any nayo defense equipment ijln Turkey which can intercept russoan cruise missile ?
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:57 pm

par far wrote:
    medo wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    George1 wrote:
    zg18 wrote:

As mentioned earlier, the Russian ships in the Med do not carry these missiles, so no.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Terrorists have been totally focused on the west and had every scout and spotter looking in that direction. When missiles came from the east they did not even have time to blink before being sent into the upper atmosphere. Twisted Evil  Razz

--------------

I  also noticed that ukrop troll army is having huge difficulties on MSM comment sections. Looking at them squirming desperately fills me with great joy... lol1

---------------

US treasury accuses Toyota of supporting ISIS because they use their pickups. But no one asks about several thousand Humvees (and God knows what else) they obtained without a sweat.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-officials-isis-toyota-trucks/story?id=34266539

---------------

And best of all, some BBC idiot from Moscow office claims that RU Navy violated Turkish airspace with cruise missiles because they had to if fired from Russian territorial waters in Caspian. I guess in his mind, only US Navy has right to use international waters.    sniper

Last edited by PapaDragon on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 pm

max steel wrote:Any nayo defense equipment ijln Turkey which can intercept russoan cruise missile ?
    The ones used are basically small sub-sonic low flying aircraft so the answer is probably yes, and not just in Turkey, they could have been 'escorted' across both Iraq and Syria by US/NATO fighters.

Can you imagine being in the AWACS over Iraq last night watching those 26 cruise missiles cross below you? Even if they had warning, which no doubt they did, it must have been a pretty amazing sight. Or the faces in the chain of command all the way up from CENTCOM to the top when they heard about it or watched it play out. Priceless.

Then the reaction on the ground, where many, if not most, would have no idea what a cruise missile is so only expect air attacks after they see or hear a plane overhead. These 3M-14T, would be coming in at just under the speed of sound so almost the first (or last) thing they would experience would be the just under 500kg warhead going off.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:06 pm

^^^Yup, and it seems that Navy did not make a show of launching one missile at a time NATO-style. They just unloaded everything they had allocated in one go. Definitely sight to behold. russia
    Book.
    Book.

Post  Book. Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Nato no detect the silent cruise missle

Klub the arab terror! thumbsup
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 pm

lol1 lol1 lol1

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 925_original
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 pm

par far wrote:

Of course they could.. and the fact that they did it from Caspian sea ,and that there was no need to do that.. since also the Russian Airforce in Syria could have done it.. using cheap bombs that cost few thousands dollars to produce.. and not missiles that kalibrs that  should cost more than a million dollar each.. Russian-India Brahmos cruise multipurpose missile for example cost 3millions dollars each .

So this was a message.. NOT to IRAQ.. but to USA,Turkey and Israe and its coalition bombing in Syria ,that if they do anything stupid ,Russia can target any military base of them with lethal precision.. For example in case of a limited war with US ,Israel,Turkey  and its dictators coalition. That they try to bomb Assad or attack Russia military base in latakia or Russian airforce fighting over Syria..Russia can counter their agression with the bombing of US F-22 base in UAE or the 5th fleet in Bahrain and sink an aircraft carrier there or hit any military base
    of Israel.. including Netanyahu or Erdogan residence.

Will Russia ever do anything like that? According to Veteran Today report ..already one top general of Russia, called Erdogan Hitler and told to the turkey ambassador that Russia should provide Assad with Iskanders to hit Erdogan bedroom if he continues to support terrorist in Syria. So the potential to a limited war against NATO is very high.. any happy trigger pilot from NATO or its coalition can start it.

Last edited by Vann7 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Vann7 wrote:
    par far wrote:

Of course they could.. and the fact that they did it from Caspian sea ,and that there was no need to do that.. since also the Russian Airforce in Syria could have done it.. using cheap bombs that cost few thousands dollars to produce.. and not missiles that should cost near million dollar each..

So this was a message.. NOT to IRAQ.. but to US and its coalition bombing in Syria ,that if they do anything stupid ,Russia can target any military base of them with lethal precision.. For example in case of a limited war with US ,Israel,Turkey  and its dictators coalition. That they try to bomb Assad or attack Russia military base in latakia or Russian airforce fighting over Syria..Russia can counter their agression with the bombing of US F-22 base in UAE or the 5th fleet in Bahrain and sink an aircraft carrier or hit any part of Israel.. including Netanyahu or Erdogan residence.  According to Veteran Today report ..already on top general of Russia, called Erdogan Hitler and that Russia should provide Assad with Iskanders to hit his bedroom. So the potential to a limited war against NATO is very high.. anything happy trigger pilot from NATO or its coalition can start it.

The message of kaliber missiles use from caspian sea.. is that Russia can hit anyone in the anti Syrian coalition and in a very painful way to them.. This is obvious because Russia could have done the same attacking from latakia coast or simply using Russian Airforce and saving a lot of money..

How old are you, 15?
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:41 pm

auslander wrote:
    How old are you, 15?

Apparently you are a troll .. if you think Russia is not sending a Big warning to the Zionist friends of ISIS coalition that is illegally attacking Syria in a proxy war ,then you have to be an idiot or suffer a brain dysfunction.

The Syrian conflict is caused by your "freedom loving" factions ,US,Israel ,Saudis and Turkey that are using ISIS and other terrorist groups to attack Syria and overthrow the Assad Government..
    Solncepek
    Solncepek

Post  Solncepek Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 1298356940
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:57 pm

sepheronx wrote:Wow, the Buyan-M just highly proved themselves. And having similar amount of armemant as thr much Larger Daegestan (Gepard) really making this ship shine! Medo is right, who will end up being first export customer? Bet many countries that need such small hard hitting ships will get a hard on after this engagement.  GJ Russia!

You are correct.. but remember that the Kalibrs missiles can be equally effective in any
    place they launched.. they can be launched from Containers or a fishing boat or land and do
    exactly the same.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2 - Page 21 Container-missile-system-st-petersburg-jul-modular-launcher-feet-marine-club-k-international-maritime-defence-show-imds-34582001

Any civilian boat ,including international trade boats can sneak into any nation coast and
    achieve the same results of Russian navy from caspian sea.. but with the bigger advantage
    of a major surprise attack ,and the missiles traveling shorter distance ,so less time of warning..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:19 am