Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+4
Karl Haushofer
Azi
GarryB
nastle77
8 posters

    Russian diaspora in USA

    avatar
    nastle77

    Posts : 229
    Points : 307
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  nastle77 Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:09 pm

    I live in chicago and we have quite a few russian people here and Ive had positive experiences with them.I wanted to know what do russian people feel about those who immigrate to USA
    Isnt a big russian diaspora in USA useful to russia as a country ? esp when it comes to lobbying and determining foreign policy

    Also is there some kind of a pan slavic society of immigrants in USA ? encompassing russian ukranian polish etc
    a place where they can put aside their "old country" rivalries and bitterness
    russia
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29919
    Points : 30447
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  GarryB Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:19 am

    For every person there will be a different reason to leave a country... whether it is for money or better weather or to escape from a situation, or the future of their family.

    Many will have a chip on their shoulder regarding where they came from and a desire to integrate by continuing local stereotypes...
    avatar
    nastle77

    Posts : 229
    Points : 307
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  nastle77 Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:49 am

    GarryB wrote:For every person there will be a different reason to leave a country... whether it is for money or better weather or to escape from a situation, or the future of their family.

    Many will have a chip on their shoulder regarding where they came from and a desire to integrate by continuing local stereotypes...

    unfortunately here in midwest US russians are hated just as much as muslims No

    people here are SO POORLY educated about world history its pathetic
    avatar
    Azi

    Posts : 445
    Points : 437
    Join date : 2016-04-05

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  Azi Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 pm

    I know for Germany that we have a great russian/soviet diaspora. Most of them are "ethnis germans" living in Russia for hundreds of years and coming back in the 90ies due to better economic situation in Germany.

    And really most of them are loving Russia and the most have good memories from soviet time. At paper they are germans, but most of them are more Russian  Cool  Most germans view "russian germans" and Russia positive, but thanks to mainstream media Russia has a bad touch again in the last years.

    In USA most Russians (immigrating from 90ies to now) are elite...scientist, manager, artists etc. It's not easy for Russians to immigrate to USA. What a Face Problem in USA are stereotypic views, not in urban areas but at countryside. Russians are in Hollywood always evil, bad communists etc.
    avatar
    Karl Haushofer

    Posts : 769
    Points : 762
    Join date : 2015-05-03

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  Karl Haushofer Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 pm

    Stupid!

    http://russia-insider.com/en/russian-moms-flock-miami-give-birth-score-us-passports-chain-migration/ri22167
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 6025
    Points : 6003
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  miketheterrible Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:26 pm

    Karl Haushofer wrote:Stupid!

    http://russia-insider.com/en/russian-moms-flock-miami-give-birth-score-us-passports-chain-migration/ri22167

    Well, a 100 every year with 30% of them being same customers as before isn't a lot. Then again, we don't even know the validity of the report.

    And anyway, you will find stupid people from everywhere. No point worrying about it.
    avatar
    Svyatoslavich

    Posts : 399
    Points : 400
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Buenos Aires

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  Svyatoslavich Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 pm

    This is a completely irrelevant issue, as Anatoly Karlin demonstrates:
    http://www.unz.com/akarlin/the-colony-of-russian-ppl-especially-in-nyc-nobodies-talking/
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

    Posts : 1471
    Points : 1461
    Join date : 2015-12-30
    Location : Merkelland

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Russian Expats

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:19 pm

    https://www.stalkerzone.org/a-message-to-russian-expats-living-in-the-us/

    Interesting article on the western values and the return of russian expats in their home country.

    I am an Italian expat living in northern Europe, and I am actually thinking about something like that, maybe in the next 5 years.

    My Russian is definitely way too rusty (about a A2 level in the european framework) to work in a Russian company, but if there were in the future good opportunities in some foreign companies in one of the larger cities (Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Kazan, or even Sochi etc), I would definitely consider it.

    I have not properly lived in Russia yet, just stayed there a couple of times for a few weeks (and only in Moscow), but from what I saw and experienced it is much less "foreign" for me than living in the US or UK.

    Furthermore I felt more freedom about speaking my mind while in Moscow. In the west you can lose your job if you do that on some "sensible" topics (even in Germany: it is very difficult to fire an employee with a permanent contract for not working good enough, but you can be fired for saying something that is against the new rules of political correctness...)


    The main problem would be possibly the really cold winters for a south european (but they are not worse than in Montreal, and many Europeans adapt easily there).

    Maybe I just need to wait for Russia to finally free Constantinople
    Twisted Evil
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 7326
    Points : 7475
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:45 pm

    Rodion_Romanovic wrote:https://www.stalkerzone.org/a-message-to-russian-expats-living-in-the-us/

    Interesting article on the western values and the return of russian expats in their home country.

    I am an Italian expat living in northern Europe, and I am actually thinking about something like that, maybe in the next 5 years.

    My Russian is definitely way too rusty (about a A2 level in the european framework) to work in a Russian company, but if there were in the future good opportunities in some foreign companies in one of the larger cities (Moscow, Saint Petersburg,  Kazan, or even Sochi etc), I would definitely consider it.

    I have not properly lived in Russia yet, just stayed there a couple of times for a few weeks (and only in Moscow), but from what I saw and experienced it is much less "foreign" for me than living in the US or UK.

    Furthermore I felt more freedom about speaking my mind while in Moscow. In the west you can lose your job if you do that on some "sensible" topics (even in Germany: it is very difficult to fire an employee with a permanent contract for not working good enough, but you can be fired for saying something that is against the new rules of political correctness...)


    The main problem would be possibly the really cold winters for a south european (but they are not worse than in Montreal, and many Europeans adapt easily there).

    Maybe I just need to wait for Russia to finally free Constantinople
    Twisted Evil

    There's Sochi, Simferopol, Sevastopol.

    Sponsored content

    Russian diaspora in USA  Empty Re: Russian diaspora in USA

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:47 pm