Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+24
Regular
George1
Vann7
Morpheus Eberhardt
par far
As Sa'iqa
arpakola
magnumcromagnon
sepheronx
flamming_python
TR1
AbsoluteZero
vishal_lionheart
solo.13mmfmj
Russian Patriot
Farhad Gulemov
GarryB
oleg nik
msaabneh
Marco1964
Turk1
soldieroffortune
Jelena
Admin
28 posters

Insurgency in the North Caucasus:

Farhad Gulemov
    Farhad Gulemov

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty Re: Insurgency in the North Caucasus:

Post  Farhad Gulemov Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:we would line them up behind the vehicles and shoot them.

Do you speak of personal experience when you say this?

Also - while I have no doubt that many of them were executed, there are also many types of prisoners which the Russian forces would want to keep alive for interrogation purposes, propaganda, etc.

Lastly, when I see how many of these Chechens got an amnesty and how few of them were actually prosecuted in court for the tortures, slavekeeping, terrorism and banditry it makes me doubt the resolve of the Russian side to really get rid of them.

What do you think?

FG
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty N.Caucasus warlord linked to attack on Ingush president detained!

Post  Russian Patriot Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:03 am

N.Caucasus warlord linked to attack on Ingush president detained

RIA Novosti

20:50 09/06/2010 MOSCOW, June 9 (RIA Novosti) - A notorious militant leader in Russia's North Caucasus involved in last year's attack on Ingush President Yunus-Bek Yevkurov was detained on Wednesday during a police operation, Russia's security chief said.

Alexander Bortnikov, the head of Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB), told President Dmitry Medvedev that Ali Taziyev, known as Magas, who was detained in the Ingush town of Malgobek, "is linked to the attack on President Yevkurov."

Yevkurov was badly injured on June 22, 2009, when his motorcade was hit by a car packed with explosives driven by a suicide bomber.

In a telephone conversation with RIA Novosti, Yevkurov called Taziyev a "mad dog" and demanded that he be sentenced to life in prison.

Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov said Taziyev was more dangerous than Chechen militant leader Doku Umarov, who claimed responsibility for ordering the March 29 suicide blasts on the Moscow metro.

"In his cruelty and in terms of threat he posed to the peaceful population, Magas exceeds notorious terrorist leader Doku Umarov," Kadyrov said.

"I think that the detention of Magas is a major achievement for the FSB and want to congratulate all participants of the special operation on this result," he added.

A member of the Public Chamber, Russia's state monitoring body, joined in the praise, saying it was a big success that Magas had been arrested alive as he would have to stand trial for his crimes.

"In terms of the fight against terrorism, it puts Russia in a position of a normal democratic state," said Maxim Shevchenko, who is also an outspoken TV presenter.

He said he would not like to see media ascertaining Taziyev's guilt before trial because "every man, whatever he is detained for," should "have a right to a normal defense."

"This will be a guarantor of the battle against terrorism in the North Caucasus," he added.

The Federation Council's First Deputy Speaker Alexander Torshin said the detention of Magas would be a blow to the organization of insurgents across the whole region.

"Magas was surrounded by legends of his elusiveness and invulnerability, so it will take some time for the insurgents to rebuild and continue their activities," he said.

Bortnikov said the FSB was investigating Taziyev's crimes, which he detailed to the president.

"This bandit, together with [Shamil] Basayev, organized an attack on Nazran in 2004, and after that he was involved in the blowing-up of two passenger buses in the Stavropol region," he said.

"He was involved in the kidnapping of the relatives of former Ingush President [Murat] Zyazikov," Bortnikov added. "In 2009, [he] was behind the explosions in the building of the Interior Ministry in Nazran, which resulted in the deaths of dozens of officers."

The August 2009 truck bombing of the police headquarters in Nazran was Ingushetia's worst attack in several years, with at least 24 people killed.

"We will report on the progress of the investigation," the FSB chief told Medvedev, who said the participants that took part in the operation should receive government decorations.

Bortnikov declared the Yevkurov case closed in October 2009, telling a meeting of Russia's National Anti-Terrorism Committee that the militants behind the attack - the leaders of the "Ingush dzhamaat" group, Dzortov and Aliyev - had been killed in a police operation.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2010/06/mil-100609-rianovosti15.htm
    Admin
    Admin

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty France charges three Chechens in terror probe

Post  Admin Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:02 am

France charges three Chechens in terror probe
    16 July 2010

Three Chechens have been charged in France in connection with a conspiracy to commit terror attacks in Russia, officials say.

The suspects are believed to be linked to a rebel group that said it was responsible for attacks on the Moscow metro on 29 March, when 40 people died.

Arrests last week in the Sarthe area of western France came after a tip-off from Russian authorities.

No details have been released about the suspects' identities or ages.

A fourth man was released in the French investigation.

Those charged are accused of having links with a man arrested in Russia on terrorism charges.

In May Russian officials said three alleged organisers of the metro suicide bombings had been killed after resisting arrest.

Two young women from Dagestan, in Russia's North Caucasus, were identified as the suicide bombers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10662581
    solo.13mmfmj
    solo.13mmfmj

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty Re: Insurgency in the North Caucasus:

Post  solo.13mmfmj Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Romania was not part of the Ottoman Empire.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:00 am

solo.13mmfmj wrote:Romania was not part of the Ottoman Empire.

The Romanian War of Independence is called that for a reason. They weren't fighting nobody.
    vishal_lionheart

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty Black widows

Post  vishal_lionheart Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Why don't Russian tries to convert those poor CHECHEN fellow to CHRISTIANITY and guide them to peace and prosperity.
    AbsoluteZero
    AbsoluteZero

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty Terrorist Attacks/Bombings in Russian Noth Causasus

Post  AbsoluteZero Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:52 am

Ok so the attacks on Civilians, Police and critical infrastructures (raildroads etc..) have been on the rise in recent years (I think thats after the 2008 Russia-Georgia conflict) and so the question is what measures was the government doing to at least bring down the numbers of this incidents? Now if the main reason for the rise of these attacks is the continued flow of funding from abroad, is there no way of intercepting these money transfers to starve the terrorists of funds? Surely there must be some way. Also, had the defense ministry considered deploying several surveillance UAVs to patrol the "hotspots" 24/7 to ensure that any events of terrorist attacks will be immediately monitored and that the Terrorists will be easily tracked and eliminated? Without reliable surveillance, they could just hit-and-run police and civilians and quickly go into hiding. But anyway, I really wish that the government is doing something to address these terrible incidents, not just empty promises.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:23 am

Rather than cutting off funding I hope they find the source of the funding and cut off the source so to speak.

The pattern so far seems to be that attacks occur and then within about 2 weeks there are operations that end in x number of militants killed or captured.
    To be honest I think they are doing a reasonable job and preventing all and any attacks is an unrealistic expectation.
    Infiltration of these threat organisations to learn their structure and extent and then using that information to take them apart would be the most likely solution, but would be incredibly dangerous for the infiltrators... and of course sometimes the group is just too small to safely infiltrate... or remain unknown till it is too late.
    AbsoluteZero
    AbsoluteZero

Post  AbsoluteZero Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 am

Thanks for the input Garry, well its probably going to be more difficult to eliminate those who raise funds for these terrorists as they possibly have backing from foreign governments with malicious intentions towards Russia but lets just hope for the best and may the situation improve as more terrorists are eliminated by the authorities.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 am

Identifying them and exposing them is a start. If legal means to bring them to justice don't work then US type tactics of Rendition et al could be used. They have a lot of options that leave no evidence of course.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Dagestan is no more a black hole than Moscow is, in terms of money dissapearing.

Actually, probably far less.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Dagestan and Stavropol territory are neck and neck in terms of attracting investment and economic growth in the North Caucasus district as of last year. Chechnya is a good deal further behind but catching up; it's developing rapidly.

The black holes there are Ingushetia (!!!!!!!), Karachay-Cherkessia and to an extent Kabardino-Balkaria too.

At least these republics are very small though, that's what saves them from being true black holes.
    None of them match the massive Far Eastern territories in terms of the money that's sunk in compared to what's received for the budget in return; the amount the government sinks into each citizen in Kamchatka, Chukotka, Magadan, Kuril Islands, etc... is signficiantly more than the money spent on an average citizen in the North Caucasus.

Of course 'Stop feeding the Caucasus!' has much more a ring to it than 'Stop feeding Chukotka!' for Russia's nationalist movement, so there we go.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 pm

TR1 wrote:Dagestan is no more a black hole than Moscow is, in terms of money dissapearing.

That's true but that's because Moscow is just filthy, filthy rich, and all the oligarchs money is there.
    In terms of everyday corruption Dagestan and the other Caucasus republics have no competition.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:25 pm

TR1 wrote:Dagestan is no more a black hole than Moscow is, in terms of money dissapearing.

Moscow, technically in financial terms, can support itself without government intervention, and that is because of the amount of wealthy in the city, as well as business entities. What the government is doing now, is just throwing more money at it to make it the next New York, which IMO, is dumb.

Chechnya and Daegestan are forced economic development programs, in order to make the "masses" happy so that they do not revolt and try to turn it into a Chechnya War 3.0, and even with all its high development, the unemployment rate is significantly high, regardless of the amount of jobs being created. Although, for these regions, and the amount of farmers and farms, there is a huge push for development of agriculture in these areas, and that in the end, will make them wealthy.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:54 pm

flamming_python wrote:

That's true but that's because Moscow is just filthy, filthy rich, and all the oligarchs money is there.
    In terms of everyday corruption Dagestan and the other Caucasus republics have no competition.
    IDK about that. I have seen little difference in practical corruption pretty much across Russia. It is bad in Dagestan though, no denying it. Though the new president is promising.

And let me be clear, I love Moscow. My home city. Get fucked Petersburg.
    But the statement - the whole country pashet dlya moskvi, has much truth to it.

High unemployment I would say is tied with gross government corruption as number 1 problem in Dagestan.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:01 am

TR1 wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:

IDK about that. I have seen little difference in practical corruption pretty much across Russia. It is bad in Dagestan though, no denying it. Though the new president is promising.

High unemployment I would say is tied with gross government corruption as number 1 problem in Dagestan.
    They are no longer called president for good reason. Head of the republic is new name.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:15 am

sepheronx wrote:

Moscow, technically in financial terms, can support itself without government intervention, and that is because of the amount of wealthy in the city, as well as business entities.  What the government is doing now, is just throwing more money at it to make it the next New York, which IMO, is dumb.

Chechnya and Daegestan are forced economic development programs, in order to make the "masses" happy so that they do not revolt and try to turn it into a Chechnya War 3.0, and even with all its high development, the unemployment rate is significantly high, regardless of the amount of jobs being created.  Although, for these regions, and the amount of farmers and farms, there is a huge push for development of agriculture in these areas, and that in the end, will make them wealthy.
    If Dagestan wanted to revolt and seperate from Russia they would have tried it by now. 1999 when the Chechens invaded Dagestan ostensibly for inciting that very thing, and when the central government had no money to give to Dagestan nor any other region in Russia - was as good a time as any.
    Instead the Chechens got repulsed, routed & ejected in record time with a bootprint on their ass courtesy of Federal forces in the region and local pro-Russian militias which were quickly raised and armed by federal authorites and manned by local Dagestanis.

I also doubt that these days the Chechens are in any mood for war or would be in any sort of hurry to restart hostilities again either; money or no money.

Contrary to nationalist propaganda - Russia is not funding the North Caucasus because there's a danger of another war breaking out if it doesn't. Kadyrov wouldn't start one with Russia in a million years; the man's not a moron.
    Russia is funding it because it's Russian territory and thus it needs to be invested into and developed so that these regions will turn into contributors of taxes, educated human capital, etc... rather than remain as drains of resources with high corruption, banditry and youth turning to radical ideologies.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 am

TR1 wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:

I remember talking with one Dagestani conscript when I was serving.
    He told me that back home he can only trust the Russian soldiers, that come from other parts of Russia; not the local MVD or anything like that - any one of them could be selling information to the terrorists.
    Goes to show the difference I think. There's bad. And then there's very bad. The North Caucasus is basically still in the 90s. The rest of Russia still has plenty of corruption all over the place (and there may be a few regions such as Tuva or whatever that won't be much better than the Caucasus), but mostly its more civilised nowadays - you don't have business people, journalists, politicians, officials or police being constantly assassinated by masked bandits, or shootouts in the street like you do in the North Caucasus. And most of this stuff isn't due to Islamic terror, but due to that very same corruption and lawlessness; it's about money.

Still though I've talked to other people and they told me that a lot of the information or rather news reports about such bad things is exaggerated.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:39 am

The problem is its a vicious circular cycle, when it comes to Dagestan-Russia relations. This is coming from one of my cousins: bandits, unemployed locals, whatever shoot local law enforcement, OMON from other parts of Russia sent in, or other federal services. They set up roablocks, frisk people, aim guns at people (takes one idiot to make a whole unit look bad), and you can imagine what local reaction is like. A BTR gets blown up, more federal troops come in.
    On and on....

My parents are in Maxachkala right now btw, so that is some sign things are slowly inching towards normality. They had no desire to visit ten years ago, even though lots of our family lives there (other half is in Moscow). Dagestan is nature wise beautiful, warm sea as well. Ever since Democracy liberated everyone though the whole region has been in a shitty transition.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty Dagestan development

Post  sepheronx Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 am

TR1 wrote:The problem is its a vicious circular cycle, when it comes to Dagestan-Russia relations. This is coming from one of my cousins: bandits, unemployed locals, whatever shoot local law enforcement, OMON from other parts of Russia sent in, or other federal services. They set up roablocks, frisk people, aim guns at people (takes one idiot to make a whole unit look bad), and you can imagine what local reaction is like. A BTR gets blown up, more federal troops come in.
    On and on....

My parents are in Maxachkala right now btw, so that is some sign things are slowly inching towards normality. They had no desire to visit ten years ago, even though lots of our family lives there (other half is in Moscow). Dagestan is nature wise beautiful, warm sea as well. Ever since Democracy liberated everyone though the whole region has been in a shitty transition.
    Well, it will take time. 20 years is still not that long time, and sometimes it takes a lot longer.

Last I heard, Daegestan is getting tons of funding for development of agriculture technopark, as well as tourism industry for locals from other regions in Russia to vacation (since yes, I heard it is really beautiful). So give it time, and many more jobs will appear and possibly more funding for development of the civil sector.

Hope it goes smoothly the development.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Insurgency in the North Caucasus: - Page 4 Empty Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov 'dead'

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 am

Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov 'dead'

The leader of the Chechen rebels, Doku Umarov, has died, according to Kavkaz Center, the main website of Russia's Islamist militants.

The website said the Caucasus Emirate leader "became a martyr", but no further details were given.

There has been no official confirmation from the Russian authorities.

The militant group has claimed responsibility for a string of deadly attacks in Russia in the last few years.

Most wanted
    A spokesman for Russia's national anti-terrorism body was quoted by Russian state news agency RIA as saying he could not confirm Mr Umarov was dead, Reuters reports.

The Kavkaz Center website wrote on its Twitter account that Ali Abu-Mukhammad had been chosen as the new emir by the Caucasus Emirate.

The website is seen as sympathetic to Islamist militants fighting against Russian rule in the North Caucasus.

In the past, it has used the line about "becoming a martyr" both for people who were killed and for Islamist militants who died of natural causes, so it is not clear if Doku Umarov died peacefully or if he was killed, says Artyom Liss, head of BBC Russian.

Over the last few years, the Russian authorities have announced his killing several few times.

He has often recorded video statements just days after his alleged killing by the Russian forces, our correspondent says.

The self-styled emir of the Caucasus Emirate is one of Russia's most wanted rebels.

He has claimed to have ordered the January 2011 Moscow airport bombing that killed 36 people, and the March 2010 suicide bombings in the Moscow Metro, in which 39 people died.

He is also said to have ordered the November 2009 bombing of a train from Moscow to St Petersburg that left 26 dead.

Mr Umarov also urged his fighters to target the Winter Olympic Games, which recently took place in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.

Russia has been battling Islamist insurgents, who are seeking to carve an emirate out of Russia's mostly Muslim southern Caucasus provinces, for years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26634403

arpakola
    arpakola

Post  arpakola Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:09 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov 'dead'

The leader of the Chechen rebels, Doku Umarov, has died, according to Kavkaz Center, the main website of Russia's Islamist militants.

The website said the Caucasus Emirate leader "became a martyr", but no further details were given.

There has been no official confirmation from the Russian authorities.

The militant group has claimed responsibility for a string of deadly attacks in Russia in the last few years.

Most wanted
    A spokesman for Russia's national anti-terrorism body was quoted by Russian state news agency RIA as saying he could not confirm Mr Umarov was dead, Reuters reports.

The Kavkaz Center website wrote on its Twitter account that Ali Abu-Mukhammad had been chosen as the new emir by the Caucasus Emirate.

The website is seen as sympathetic to Islamist militants fighting against Russian rule in the North Caucasus.

In the past, it has used the line about "becoming a martyr" both for people who were killed and for Islamist militants who died of natural causes, so it is not clear if Doku Umarov died peacefully or if he was killed, says Artyom Liss, head of BBC Russian.

Over the last few years, the Russian authorities have announced his killing several few times.

He has often recorded video statements just days after his alleged killing by the Russian forces, our correspondent says.

The self-styled emir of the Caucasus Emirate is one of Russia's most wanted rebels.

He has claimed to have ordered the January 2011 Moscow airport bombing that killed 36 people, and the March 2010 suicide bombings in the Moscow Metro, in which 39 people died.

He is also said to have ordered the November 2009 bombing of a train from Moscow to St Petersburg that left 26 dead.

Mr Umarov also urged his fighters to target the Winter Olympic Games, which recently took place in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.

Russia has been battling Islamist insurgents, who are seeking to carve an emirate out of Russia's mostly Muslim southern Caucasus provinces, for years.

cheers 
     cheers
    arpakola
    arpakola

Post  arpakola Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Ali Abu Muhammad al Dagestani (the bastard replacement..)
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:20 am

Hahaha... the AKS-74U in the background... Osama wannabe... pretty clear the AKS-74U is now terrorist Chic.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:52 am

GarryB wrote:Hahaha... the AKS-74U in the background... Osama wannabe... pretty clear the AKS-74U is now terrorist Chic.

They're like cock-roaches aren't they? No matter how many squashed, more will take their place...luck has it that with every new leader they become less and less competent on the battlefield.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 pm