Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+22
caveat emptor
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
medo
Mir
thegopnik
Krepost
Isos
Podlodka77
Arrow
Big_Gazza
Hole
franco
dino00
George1
LMFS
etaepsilonk
Austin
SOC
GarryB
Viktor
TR1
Mindstorm
26 posters

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO)

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO)

Post  Big_Gazza Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:58 am

This video I believe?

GarryB, medo, Arrow, PapaDragon and lyle6 like this post

Arrow

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO)

Post  Arrow Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:57 pm

Wow impressive shooting Shocked S 300V4 and BukM3.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:This video I believe?

Yes.

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Screen44
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Screen45
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Screen46

GarryB and PapaDragon like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:03 pm

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Screen47
    If she (F-35) is ready, he (S-300V4) will be ready!  Laughing
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Screen48
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Screen49

GarryB, Big_Gazza, PapaDragon and zepia like this post

Arrow

Post  Arrow Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:14 pm

I have never seen such intense US / NATO anti-aircraft exercises Laughing
    But they believe in the power of their aviation.

GarryB and PapaDragon like this post

Arrow

Post  Arrow Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:08 pm

GarryB, zepia, zardof and Hole like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:45 am

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Fgabd610
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Fgabdw10
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Fgabdx10
    75T6 Igarka. Sort of a early competitor of Tor

GarryB likes this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Empty Russian RIA agency (russian version) has publised few minutes ago that new Pantsyr-SM variant will apppear this year.

Post  Podlodka77 Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:27 pm

Russian RIA agency (russian version) has publised few minutes ago that new Pantsyr-SM variant will apppear this year.
    I am the new guy here and i am not allowed to share that news here with you, so somene else could post that news from RIA.RU here.

dino00 likes this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:35 pm

Podlodka77 wrote:Russian RIA agency (russian version) has publised few minutes ago that new Pantsyr-SM variant will apppear this year.
    I am the new guy here and i am not allowed to share that news here with you, so somene else could post that news from RIA.RU here.

You can post just delete the http stuff that makes it a link.

You are also allowed to share the article by copy/paste.
    Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:07 pm

Isos wrote:
    Podlodka77 wrote:Russian RIA agency (russian version) has publised few minutes ago that new Pantsyr-SM variant will apppear this year.

You can post just delete the http stuff that makes it a link.

You are also allowed to share the article by copy/paste.

Sorry ISOS, but i dont know how do that..I will just copy/paste text from RIA here...

МОСКВА, 8 янв – РИА Новости. Новая версия зенитного ракетно-пушечного комплекса "Панцирь", а также перспективные средства вооружения "Деривация-ПВО" и "Тайфун-ПВО", появятся в 2022 году, сообщили в субботу в департаменте информации и массовых коммуникаций Минобороны РФ.
    "В 2022 году в интересах войсковой противовоздушной обороны планируется завершение работ по созданию перспективных средств вооружения "Деривация-ПВО", "Панцирь-СМ-СВ", "Тайфун-ПВО", - говорится в сообщении. "Также разрабатывается ЗРК "Птицелов", применяющий два типа ракет с разными методами наведения (самонаводящаяся по тепловому излучению цели и наводимая по лазерному лучу). Комплекс, предназначенный для действий непосредственно на переднем крае", - добавили в Минобороны.

New variant of Pantsyr surface to air missile system will appear in 2022 and in the interest of russian air defence forces it is planned to finish all works on perspective types of weapons like Derivatsya-PVO (Air defence forces), Pantsyr-SM-SV (SV; ground forces), Typhoon-PVO. Works are also going on NEW type of surface to air missile designated as "Птицелов" ("bird hunter" in english.), which will use twoo types of missiles with different methods of guidance (self guided by targets heat signature and guided by laser beam) and that missile complex will be used in action directly in the front line.

GarryB, medo, dino00, JohninMK and Finty like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:00 am

Works are also going on NEW type of surface to air missile designated as "Птицелов" ("bird hunter" in english.), which will use twoo types of missiles with different methods of guidance (self guided by targets heat signature and guided by laser beam) and that missile complex will be used in action directly in the front line.

Nice... a better translation would probably be Fowler... so it uses IR and laser beam riding missiles... so effectively it would be Verba and Pine combined together... that would be clever because IR guided missiles can be launched as soon as you have a lock and you don't need to continue to track the target, while Pine allows you to engage any target even if it has no IR or radar signature...

Derivatsya-PVO (Air defence forces), Pantsyr-SM-SV (SV; ground forces), Typhoon-PVO.

So the first is the 2S38 57mm gun mounted new air defence system...

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Parade10

The second is the new Pantsir system with the long range missiles and the third is the typhoon light four wheel vehicle fitted out with with a RWS machine gun and carrying lots of MANPADS in the back...

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Vdayre10

Nice...
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Army2013

Podlodka77 likes this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:39 pm

Is it a small radar on the 57mm 2S38 on the left of the gun ?

You forgot the gibka turret with Igla missiles on Tigr that will be very effective and much more than the basic manpad because the vehicle has an integrated detection system allowing to spot target at longer range.

Sosna is also very good because it uses laser guidance which is not jammable by glares or chaffs. Not standard guidance system that you can't protect against. It fills the gap between IR and radar systems.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:11 pm

Ptitselov is the "new" name for Sosna.

I think the antenna has more to do with programmable grenades.
    Krepost
    Krepost

Post  Krepost Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:02 pm

I believe "Ptitselov" is the SOSNA on a BMD-4 chassis. It is specifically made for the VDV troops.
    Apparently it carries a mix of laser guided SOSNA missiles and Verba/Igla/Metka IR-guided missiles.

Mir likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 am

I think it might be, but I suspect it likely does not have extensive targeting capacity and is more likely for tracking outgoing rounds to determine and improve accuracy during firing, and will also be used for air burst rounds with a radio command to detonate the rounds as they approach the target.

They were talking about laser command detonation but I think Mindstorm said they decided on radio command detonation to make it more weather proof in regard to rain or snow or indeed dust or smoke.

You forgot the gibka turret with Igla missiles on Tigr that will be very effective and much more than the basic manpad because the vehicle has an integrated detection system allowing to spot target at longer range

I was just showing the vehicles mentioned in the article... ie Derivatsya-PVO (Air defence forces), Pantsyr-SM-SV (SV; ground forces), Typhoon-PVO, which are the 2S38, new Pantsir vehicle, and Typhoon 4x4 that I posted pics of.

There is also the Pine/Sosna that they are extending the missile range to 20km I believe.

Sosna is also very good because it uses laser guidance which is not jammable by glares or chaffs. Not standard guidance system that you can't protect against. It fills the gap between IR and radar systems.

It is very good... very cheap, but very accurate and effective. Might have some issues with a lot of smoke or rain or snow on the battlefield but it will effect the targets too... it will need to get closer to do its job...

Ptitselov is the "new" name for Sosna.

Ahh.

I think the antenna has more to do with programmable grenades.

Could also track outgoing rounds to check their actual trajectory for improving accuracy of bursts.

But yes, command detonation of airburst rounds and perhaps also radio command control of guided rounds too.

Apparently it carries a mix of laser guided SOSNA missiles and Verba/Igla/Metka IR-guided missiles.

Interesting. I wonder if Metka is a development of Verba or perhaps a SOSNA based missile with an IIR seeker... but then SOSNA is 42kgs in its transport launch container so impossible for shoulder launch... so I guess not.

Fitting the seeker of the new Metka to a SOSNA missile would maximise its range potential and simplify support for the unit...

To start with QWIP seeker chips would be expensive and could operate in visible and IR frequencies, but over time they would become much cheaper to produce allowing them to be deployed more widely... still laser beam riding and command guided alternatives abound in the Russian military too.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Filyfj10
    Components of Pantsir-SM-SV

GarryB, Big_Gazza, thegopnik, LMFS, lancelot and Mir like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:33 am

Nice... the tracked chassis shows this is the replacement for Tunguska in Army units... that is looking very good.

I am looking forward to see what these short range mini missiles for TOR to shoot down drones and light targets will look like... I am suspecting it will be like Bulat is to Kornet... a mini version...
    thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:27 am

https://naukatehnika.com/novyij-rossijskij-pzrk-%C2%ABmetka%C2%BB.html

New Russian MANPADS "Mark" #Сухопутная technique Vadim Lebedev 09 january 2022, 18:34 1955 0 Man-portable air defence systems (MANPADS) have long and firmly established themselves in the arsenals of the armies of various States of the world, as well as insurgent and terrorist organizations. They have proven themselves as an effective means of destroying enemy aircraft at low altitudes. MANPADS are especially good as a weapon of asymmetric warfare,with their help you can inflict significant losses on a stronger enemy. Therefore, work on the creation and improvement of such complexes continues. MANPADS "Mark" The Russian Federation expects the adoption of a new portable anti-aircraft system, known under the designation "Mark". There is not much information about him yet. From what is known, according to the commander-in-chief of the ground forces Oleg Salyukov, the "Mark" will be equipped with a new homing head, resistant to heat traps and interference, including laser. Also, the new MANPADS will be capable of hitting targets at a range of more than five to six kilometers (the Verba has a maximum range of destruction - 6 km, the American Stinger - 4.5). In the future, the new complex should replace the Verba MANPADS currently in service. Soldier with Verba MANPADS "Mark" will be able to deal with helicopters, airplanes, unmanned aerial vehicles and loitering ammunition. It is alleged that now "Mark" is undergoing state tests. Earlier we wrote about the first Soviet MANPADS "Strela" and "Igla"

GarryB, Hole and Mir like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:50 am

Krepost wrote:I believe "Ptitselov" is the SOSNA on a BMD-4 chassis. It is specifically made for the VDV troops.

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Ptisel10

d_taddei2 likes this post

medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:37 am

I would say IFF antenna.

Derivatsia-PVO have programing rings on gun barrel similar to Oerlikon guns. Laser programing is used for 30 mm rounds.

Mir likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:58 pm

Paratrooper-anti-aircraft gunner: promising Russian air defense system "Ptitselov" #Сухопутная technique Vadim Lebedev 20 january 2022, 12:53 5943 0 Among the samples of new military equipment, which should enter service with the army of the Russian Federation in 2022, there is also a short-range anti-aircraft missile system "Ptitselov". They plan to replace the outdated Strela-10 complex of Soviet production. Work on this technique has been going on for a long time, approximately since 2005, the public was shown in 2013, and the tests were to end in 2019. The first versions of the Ptitselov were based on the MTLB chassis, then its main carrier was the BMP-3, the modern version is based on the BMD-4. The main user of this complex should be the airborne troops. Official image of the Ptitselov air defense system The main task of the "Bird" will be to protect military units from air attack, primarily helicopters, aircraft and drones operating at low altitudes. It is also claimed that it will be able to hit cars and lightly armored vehicles. Given the fact that the Ptitselov does not have cannon weapons, the latest allegations, as well as the ability to fight manpower, cause a certain skepticism (although the American Stinger can theoretically destroy ground targets). This complex is air-transportable, it can be parachuted. The main armament of the "Ptitselov" are anti-aircraft missiles "Sosna" (9M340), developed for the eponymous air defense system ("Ptitselov" can be considered as an improved version of the "Pine", in particular, is able to withstand loads when landing). The complex is armed with two blocks of six missiles. The maximum range of destruction is 10 km. Reloading is carried out in 12 minutes. Thanks to the laser beam control, the missile is resistant to various interferences that potential adversaries can use. The search for targets is carried out using optoelectronic means. All processes related to the combat operation of the complex are maximally automated. One of the versions of "Bird" In all its characteristics, the Ptitselov is significantly superior to its predecessor , the Strela-10 complex and its variants. If adopted, it will become the only air defense system in the world that can be parachuted.

Источник контента: https://naukatehnika.com/desantnik-zenitchik-perspektivnyij-rossijskij-zrk-pticzelov.html
    naukatehnika.com
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 am

I would say IFF antenna.

I thought it might be that, but the new Coalition also has flat panels beside the gun too and they certainly are not for IFF use...

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Nvfblr11

This diagram seems to show "own means of recon and shooting adjustments pointing to one of the boxes on one side of the gun... maybe a radar and an IFF?

But why would artillery need IFF?

Maybe it is something completely different.

Derivatsia-PVO have programing rings on gun barrel similar to Oerlikon guns. Laser programing is used for 30 mm rounds.

Tunguska 2M38M cannon have induction coils on one gun to measure muzzle velocity in real time to improve the accuracy of bursts with real time monitoring of muzzle velocity.

The problem with induction coil fuse setting like on western guns is that the timers for the fuses have to be incredibly precise to be effective, which makes them expensive... and they have to be in the shell being fired to be effective which makes their airburst shells more expensive.

The Russian solution was command detonation using laser beam... they already use tail mounted laser beam sensors for their laser beam riding missiles... a much smaller lighter system that detects laser energy on the rear of an outgoing round could be used to set it off at precisely the right time with simple cheap electronics on the round and the expensive precise stuff in the vehicle being used over and over.

As Mindstorm pointed out laser beams can be effected by smoke and dust and lots of other things in the air, while radio command signals go through most things and would be more reliable.

The maximum range of destruction is 10 km.

So its range has not been extended?

10km is still pretty good. Being laser beam riding you can practically shoot these things at anything you can see... no need for radar or IR contrast targets, so ground targets could easily be engaged too.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:14 pm

thegopnik wrote:Paratrooper-anti-aircraft gunner: promising Russian air defense system "Ptitselov" #Сухопутная technique Vadim Lebedev 20 january 2022, 12:53 5943 0 Among the samples of new military equipment, which should enter service with the army of the Russian Federation in 2022, there is also a short-range anti-aircraft missile system "Ptitselov". They plan to replace the outdated Strela-10 complex of Soviet production. Work on this technique has been going on for a long time, approximately since 2005, the public was shown in 2013, and the tests were to end in 2019. The first versions of the Ptitselov were based on the MTLB chassis, then its main carrier was the BMP-3, the modern version is based on the BMD-4. The main user of this complex should be the airborne troops. Official image of the Ptitselov air defense system The main task of the "Bird" will be to protect military units from air attack, primarily helicopters, aircraft and drones operating at low altitudes. It is also claimed that it will be able to hit cars and lightly armored vehicles. Given the fact that the Ptitselov does not have cannon weapons, the latest allegations, as well as the ability to fight manpower, cause a certain skepticism (although the American Stinger can theoretically destroy ground targets). This complex is air-transportable, it can be parachuted.   The main armament of the "Ptitselov" are anti-aircraft missiles "Sosna" (9M340), developed for the eponymous air defense system ("Ptitselov" can be considered as an improved version of the "Pine", in particular, is able to withstand loads when landing). The complex is armed with two blocks of six missiles. The maximum range of destruction is 10 km. Reloading is carried out in 12 minutes. Thanks to the laser beam control, the missile is resistant to various interferences that potential adversaries can use.     The search for targets is carried out using optoelectronic means. All processes related to the combat operation of the complex are maximally automated. One of the versions of "Bird" In all its characteristics, the Ptitselov is significantly superior to its predecessor , the Strela-10 complex and its variants. If adopted, it will become the only air defense system in the world that can be parachuted.

Источник контента: https://naukatehnika.com/desantnik-zenitchik-perspektivnyij-rossijskij-zrk-pticzelov.html
    naukatehnika.com

The system uses a laser-guided missile so it can hit vehicles or buildings. Even the Buk system can be used to engage ground/sea targets (thanks to radar guidance).

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:32 am

Especially useful for ground forces these days because it can be used against drones with little or no radar or IR signature that MANPADS would have trouble getting a good lock on to.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 am

Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Fj3ts510
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Fj3tsg10
    Ground Troops Air Defense (PVO) - Page 2 Fj3tue10
    Fully loaded Taifun-PVO.

GarryB, zardof and Mir like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm