Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+6
George1
Big_Gazza
flamming_python
OminousSpudd
Werewolf
d_taddei2
10 posters

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated???

Poll

which aircraft would you like to see re-instated in the Russian air force???

[ 1 ]
    Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_left9%Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_left0%Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_left36%Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_right [36%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_left36%Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_right [36%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_left18%Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Bar_right [18%] 

Total Votes: 11
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Empty Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated???

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:34 am

(just for fun) which aircraft would you like to see re-instated in the Russian air force???

they all have there positives and negatives from cheap to maintain, capability, usefulness, roles, and what weapons they can be equipped with.
    This is just a fun scenario and obviously wouldn't happen, just interested in peoples views and the results.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Empty Re: Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated???

Post  Werewolf Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:42 am

Only with a major upgrade for it, but to face reality they are all beyond point that they would see any use within russian Airforce. I just voted it because you asked for our personal opinion not that i see it as realistic at all to see any of those being even considered for active duty.
    OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Empty Re: Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated???

Post  OminousSpudd Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:57 am

MiG-23... Because, MiG-23s.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:10 am

MiG-25 is the only one that would be useful, as its replacement (MiG-31) is out of production. There may be delays in the MiG-41 program and we may need our MiG-31BMs for covering the skies in the Middle East. Thus some extra interceptors as a stop-gap for the next 5-10 years could be useful, even older ones. However they would need an upgrade, a cheap one.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:30 am

OminousSpudd wrote:MiG-23... Because, MiG-23s.

Agreed.  Of all of these options, I think the MiG-23 would be the best.  With an appropriate radar & avionics upgrade it could probably be a serviceable multi-role aircraft, while the MiG-21 & Su-17/22 are limited in this respect due to nose intake. MiG-25 is generally inferior to MiG-31, so that's pointless (edit: flamming_python does raise good points re stop gap interceptors, but if we are talking hypothetically, I rather see MiG-31 added to the list Very Happy ). MiG-27 was a cheaper simplified version of the duckbilled MiG-23 strike variant, and is less flexible than the full deal.

My two cents worth...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:37 am

re-instate 2nd and 3rd generation aircrafts in Russian air force? Thats insane
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:33 am

Fit multi weapons packs under each weapon pylon and use them to intercept enemy drones... the M-23 drone, which is the unmanned version of the MiG-23 can fly higher and faster and pull higher g turns than the manned model because it is not expected to last the same number of flight hours would be a rather valuable aircraft...

The M-25 would be even more interesting as it was engine limited in speed... it had 11 ton thrust engines.. fitting new engines with a variable bypass ramjet capability would likely allow rather higher speeds to be achieved relatively rapidly and easily... fit it with R-37Ms and send it into enemy airspace at mach 4 would be rather interesting... a one way anti AWACS attack drone with 4 ready to launch R-37M missiles from high speed high altitude flight... and it could be used against transport aircraft bringing US forces to Europe or JSTARS or a range of other platforms.

BTW with an AL-41 engine fitted and modern AESA radar and perhaps even a fixed wing of improved design the MiG-23/27 could be upgraded to become vastly superior aircraft to their former selves...
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:11 am

Werewolf wrote:Only with a major upgrade for it, but to face reality they are all beyond point that they would see any use within russian Airforce. I just voted it because you asked for our personal opinion not that i see it as realistic at all to see any of those being even considered for active duty.

what did you vote for?

like said in the original post This is just a fun scenario and obviously wouldn't happen, just interested in peoples views and the results
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:13 am

George1 wrote:re-instate 2nd and 3rd generation aircrafts in Russian air force? Thats insane

like said in the original post This is just a fun scenario and obviously wouldn't happen, just interested in peoples views and the results

did i say this would actually happen?
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:44 am

All of them mentioned aircraft could be converted into guided missiles. There are hundreds if not thousands of them in fairy good shape and they could be successfully used in a conflict like in Syria.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:45 am

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? 01010

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? 1nzp1l10
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:07 am

Sorry for bending the rules a bit.

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? LI4Uck1
    berhoum
    berhoum

Which aircraft would you like to be re-instated??? Empty which aircraft would you like to be re-instated???

Post  berhoum Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 am

@Walther von Oldenburg

I find the very interesting idea to use(get) former(old) plane as missiles  The beautiful explosive end  thumbsup
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:10 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Only with a major upgrade for it, but to face reality they are all beyond point that they would see any use within russian Airforce. I just voted it because you asked for our personal opinion not that i see it as realistic at all to see any of those being even considered for active duty.

what did you vote for?

I voted for the MiG-27 the reason for this is this.

Aswell a nice 30mm cannon fire video which i can't find right now.

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:21 pm

I vote for MiG23/27.

There were even ideas of deep modernisation that would include new AL-31F engines, hull mending and reinforcing, full avionics update etc... And they proposed it just years after they were retired from Russian Air force due to experiences in Second Chechen war, as SU25 and SU24 performed "weird" in that local, low intensity conflict. Something like MiG-27 in between them would be ideal, however seems that most of retired borts were already in too bad shape to be modernised. There was full 60min documentary regarding MiG27 and this modernisation package i mentioned above, however it disappeared from youtube, i belive its due to fact Bitnik was banned... (some ppl might know who i am talking about).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 am