Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+77
eehnie
GunshipDemocracy
yavar
nomadski
Azi
Manov
0nillie0
Giulio
kvs
franco
George1
starman
Benya
GarryB
ATLASCUB
Arctic_Fox
JohninMK
Isos
KoTeMoRe
archangelski
calm
Skandalwitwe
miketheterrible
Khepesh
Cowboy's daughter
Erk
MMBR
Godric
Admin
AK-Rex
przemek
Big_Gazza
Gunfighter-AK
airstrike
zorobabel
Glowtop
medo
VladimirSahin
victor1985
magnumcromagnon
ultron
JohnSnow
OminousSpudd
AlfaT8
short_fuze
Bolt
TheArmenian
zepia
higurashihougi
KiloGolf
Vann7
crod
wilhelm
Heartbeer
Zivo
HUNTER VZLA
Neutrality
mack8
max steel
sheytanelkebir
sepheronx
Solncepek
Cyberspec
Dima
Morpheus Eberhardt
Kadmos45
zg18
Werewolf
ExBeobachter1987
Bidoul
Fred333
Hannibal Barca
d_taddei2
Shadåw
PapaDragon
flamming_python
Walther von Oldenburg
81 posters

Yemeni Conflict: News #2

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News #2

Post  sepheronx Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:59 pm

Militarov wrote:Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXbP__kUkAEIh80

Yemeni forces launched a ballistic missile Qahir1 at the Saudi Jizan port. Apparently some 15+ hours ago.
    Did this one hit its target?

Post  Guest Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:27 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXbP__kUkAEIh80

Yemeni forces launched a ballistic missile Qahir1 at the Saudi Jizan port. Apparently some 15+ hours ago.
    Did this one hit its target?

These guys didnt report anything regarding that, only fact that it was fired.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Militarov wrote:What is claimed to be footage of Scud being intercepted by Saudi "air defence" last night.

It looks more like a miss. The other "cloud" patches are also probably from the warheads of all the other SAMs that had missed prior to this one.

Nope saudis intercepted it : http://mwcnews.net/news/middle-east/56362-saudis-intercept.html

mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Militarov wrote:Apparently Bahrein operated F16 crashed on Yemeni border due to technical failure:

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXdQz5hWMAAnaEf

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXdQz5pWEAAiLIl

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXdQz5qWcAA4kAO

"A Bahraini fighter jet taking part in the Saudi-led coalition battling rebel forces in Yemen crashed on Wednesday in Saudi Arabia due to a "technical error," the alliance said. The F-16 jet crashed in the kingdom's southwestern region of Jizan near the border with Yemen, the coalition said in a statement on the official SPA news agency. The pilot was located safely, it said."

SAMs have the nasty habit to cause "technical errors". Since the houthis still have SRBMs they are bound to have some SAMs operational surely. It looks like a shoot down to me (especially seeing the sucker crashing in flames like that).

So what we have now as likely shot down, one or even two F-15, at least 2 F-16, several AH-64, anything else?
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Yes indeed, technical problems and malfunction tend to happen over the battlefield area...

More Saudi/Coalition armor falling pray to the flip-flop bunch

GRAPHIC

Post  Guest Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:10 pm

mack8 wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Apparently Bahrein operated F16 crashed on Yemeni border due to technical failure:

"A Bahraini fighter jet taking part in the Saudi-led coalition battling rebel forces in Yemen crashed on Wednesday in Saudi Arabia due to a "technical error," the alliance said. The F-16 jet crashed in the kingdom's southwestern region of Jizan near the border with Yemen, the coalition said in a statement on the official SPA news agency. The pilot was located safely, it said."

SAMs have the nasty habit to cause "technical errors". Since the houthis still have SRBMs they are bound to have some SAMs operational surely. It looks like a shoot down to me (especially seeing the sucker crashing in flames like that).

So what we have now as likely shot down, one or even two F-15, at least 2 F-16,  several AH-64, anything else?

Well it could have been engine catching fire, wouldnt be first time. Even if they have some SAMs i am not sure about crews, those require decent crew to be operated.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:35 pm

max steel wrote:
    Militarov wrote:What is claimed to be footage of Scud being intercepted by Saudi "air defence" last night.

It looks more like a miss. The other "cloud" patches are also probably from the warheads of all the other SAMs that had missed prior to this one.

Nope saudis intercepted it : http://mwcnews.net/news/middle-east/56362-saudis-intercept.html

How do you know?
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:38 pm

mack8 wrote:

So what we have now as likely shot down, one or even two F-15, at least 2 F-16,  several AH-64, anything else?

X2

Post  Guest Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:11 pm

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXiCs5aUAAA7V-h

Yemeni forces launched a ballistic missile Qahir1 at Abha International Airport deep inside Saudi Arabia.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:43 pm

max steel wrote:

How do you know?

Because unlike you i believe in what Saudi mil said.Read the link "Saudi Air Defense Forces intercepted at about 11 P.M. (2000 GMT) a Scud missile launched from Sanaa, in Yemeni territory, toward the city of Najran ... the air force immediately destroyed the rocket launch platform," the Saudi statement said.

Yemen's state news agency said the target was a Saudi national guard base. Rest whatever sails your boat. Razz
    Dima
    Dima

Post  Dima Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Hassan Ridha ‏@sayed_ridha  22 hours ago
    Reportedly remains of ballistic missile fired by #Yemen-i forces targeting #Saudi led coalition
    Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXfL0zUUAAAy19q
    Kadmos45
    Kadmos45

Post  Kadmos45 Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:31 pm

max steel wrote:

Because unlike you i believe in what Saudi mil said.Read the link "Saudi Air Defense Forces intercepted at about 11 P.M. (2000 GMT) a Scud missile launched from Sanaa, in Yemeni territory, toward the city of Najran ... the air force immediately destroyed the rocket launch platform," the Saudi statement said.

Trusting Saudis in anything is not really wise move.
    They said that Scud was launched from Sanaa ( really who else reported that ???) And they suposedly shoot it down.

But what we see is unexploded Qahir  (modified  S-75 Dvina/Volkhov ) rocket booster clearly visible . And it was certainly not launched from Sanaa because of range.

This is map of 10 Qahir (not Scud) launches.

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXiEsu2UEAA04qv

It includes latest hit against Abha airport, not to be confused with Jizan airport.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:34 pm

max steel wrote:
    max steel wrote:

How do you know?

Yemen's state news agency said the target was a Saudi national guard base. Rest whatever sails your boat. Razz

You didn't answer the question I asked.

If you aren't an English speaker or for some other reason can't understand the question, maybe you can ask someone (like a friend) to explain the question to you.

The link you posted had nothing to do with the subject.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Dima wrote:Hassan Ridha ‏@sayed_ridha  22 hours ago
    Reportedly remains of ballistic missile fired by #Yemen-i forces targeting #Saudi led coalition
    Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXfL0zUUAAAy19q

That's the booster.
    Kadmos45
    Kadmos45

Post  Kadmos45 Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Recap of latest developments about situation in Yemen:

Sauds declared end of non-existant "ceasefire" Rolling Eyes

This saudi northern offensive bogged down east of Hadad ( no wonder mountains are starting there ).
    Yemenis are now trying to cut supply route from Al-Tuwai (Saudi proper) to Hadad.

Another mini saudi convoy bites the dust.
    More paid mercs killed in Taiz. * City is besieged by GCC mercs and yemeni version of qaida.

More rockets launched on saudi soil, saudi bombing civilians in Sanaa and elsewhere as always.

Not exactly Yemen but killing prominent Shia cleric in SA will have probably some consequences also on Yemen war.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:44 pm

This news is spreading. Found this via ZH.

TEHRAN (FNA)- The Yemeni army and popular forces destroyed Saudi Arabia's strategic oil reservoirs in the Southern province of Asir with a Qaher-I ballistic missile. Military sources said that the missile hit large crude stockpiles in Abha region of Asir province with high precision and "caused heavy damage". Smoke spiraling above the reservoirs can be seen from kilometers away, local witnesses said.

It was the 11th Qaher-I ballistic missile fired at the Saudi targets in the past 20 days, meaning that Yemen targeted its enemy with one ballistic missile every other day, they added.

On Thursday, the Yemeni forces also targeted Saudi Arabia's strategic Abha airport in Asir province with a Qaher-I ballistic missile.

Wednesday reports also said that the Yemeni army and popular forces launched a fresh round of attacks on the Saudi forces' positions in the province of Jizan in the Southern part of the kingdom with their upgraded ballistic missiles. Yemen's Qaher-I ballistic missile precisely hit Saudi Arabia's military bases in Jizan province, inflicting heavy losses on them. Tens of Saudi troops were killed and dozens more were injured in the missile attack.

Qaher-I is an updated version of a Russian-made surface-to-surface missile.

On Tuesday, the Yemeni army and popular forces targeted Saudi Arabia's Aramco Oil Company in Jizan with Qaher-I ballistic missiles for a second time in less than two weeks. "The (Qaher-I) missile precisely hit Aramco oil company on Monday night," the Arabic-language media outlets quoted an unnamed Yemeni army official as saying.

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13941012000529
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:35 pm

JohninMK wrote:This news is spreading. Found this via ZH.

TEHRAN (FNA)- The Yemeni army and popular forces destroyed Saudi Arabia's strategic oil reservoirs in the Southern province of Asir with a Qaher-I ballistic missile. Military sources said that the missile hit large crude stockpiles in Abha region of Asir province with high precision and "caused heavy damage". Smoke spiraling above the reservoirs can be seen from kilometers away, local witnesses said.

It was the 11th Qaher-I ballistic missile fired at the Saudi targets in the past 20 days, meaning that Yemen targeted its enemy with one ballistic missile every other day, they added.

On Thursday, the Yemeni forces also targeted Saudi Arabia's strategic Abha airport in Asir province with a Qaher-I ballistic missile.

Wednesday reports also said that the Yemeni army and popular forces launched a fresh round of attacks on the Saudi forces' positions in the province of Jizan in the Southern part of the kingdom with their upgraded ballistic missiles. Yemen's Qaher-I ballistic missile precisely hit Saudi Arabia's military bases in Jizan province, inflicting heavy losses on them. Tens of Saudi troops were killed and dozens more were injured in the missile attack.

On Tuesday, the Yemeni army and popular forces targeted Saudi Arabia's Aramco Oil Company in Jizan with Qaher-I ballistic missiles for a second time in less than two weeks. "The (Qaher-I) missile precisely hit Aramco oil company on Monday night," the Arabic-language media outlets quoted an unnamed Yemeni army official as saying.

Will be very interesting to see what happens to the oil price this Monday.
    short_fuze

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Syrians execute Shiite cleric critical of government

Post  short_fuze Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr was one of those executed in the mass beheading in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-02/saudi-arabia-carries-out-largest-mass-execution-25-years-after-beheadings-soar-2015

Iranians have attacked the Saudi Consulate in Tehran. The Iranian security forces managed to clear the protestors from the Consulate, but only after a substantial fire had been started.

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/iranian-citizens-set-saudi-consulate-on-fire-in-retaliation-for-sheikh-nimr/

The New Year starts with a bang.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Neutrality wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:This news is spreading. Found this via ZH.

Will be very interesting to see what happens to the oil price this Monday.
    Doubt it will go up. There is a glut of the stuff and a warm winter in some key consumer countries further reducing demand.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:44 am

Militarov wrote:Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 CXiCs5aUAAA7V-h

Yemeni forces launched a ballistic missile Qahir1 at Abha International Airport deep inside Saudi Arabia.

these Qahir 1 seem to be fairly good at what they do and yemen army/houthis seem to have made good use of them, does anyone have any information on the system?
    Kadmos45
    Kadmos45

Post  Kadmos45 Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:33 am

d_taddei2 wrote:

these Qahir 1 seem to be fairly good at what they do and yemen army/houthis seem to have made good use of them, does anyone have any information on the system?

The rocket is modified S-75 / SA-2 surface to air.

Original system was of cumbersome design, radio controlled with radar,antennas, command truck and what not, not autonomous but stationary site.

Something like this:

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 S-75-SAM-Site-PAVN-1966-1S

There is no way Yemeni Qahir-1 functions like that. All old S-75 launching sites are probably destroyed by saudi airstrikes anyway, not to mention it sole purpose was shooting down aircrafts.

The interesting thing is guidance system, how they make it to pretty precise surface-surface mode.

So the questions stands if this rocket have some Mcgyvery GPS guidance or sth. ?
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:53 am

But we don't even know whether they're able to hit saudi targets or not OR what if houthis are lying with their propaganda BMs attack with Qahir neither do we know saudi were able to intercept it because whenever they intercepted scud media flashed it readily.
    Kadmos45
    Kadmos45

Post  Kadmos45 Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:57 pm

There is no way to know anything for sure without on site footage and/or satellite coverage .

I don't know what sarabs are "flashing" in their TV but last Scud launch was on 15 October , and wasn't even done by Houthis.

One thing is certain, they are distorting "facts" to justify resuming airbombing of Sanaa for the western MSM consumption.
    This is why they were lying about any recent launch from there. All those launches could only happened from mountain northern region close to saudi border and not from Sanaa.

But Saudis at least indirectly confirmed those launches.: "attacks on the kingdom's territories by firing ballistic missiles towards Saudi cities, targeting Saudi border posts, and hampering aid operations".

Of course they don't say anything about effect of those launches.

Actually they even lie about destroying launchers ( where is footage of that ? )

read here :

http://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/saudi-led-coalition-announces-end-yemen-ceasefire

"The statement comes after the coalition announced that Saudi air defence forces had intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen towards the kingdom's city of Abha late on Friday.

The "launcher was located and destroyed in Yemen," it said."

We don't know for sure what is happening clearly in Yemen but Riyadhis are completely untrustworthy , it's just nothing more than Goebbels-like propaganda. All this crap how Yemenis are loving them, and they are there to help, always accusing Houthis of worst crimes, genocide,while denying that they themselves are bombing civilians, hospitals, schools Pretty much clone of urkian-banderistas type of shyt.

So no can't trust them on anything.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Kadmos45 wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:

The rocket is modified S-75 / SA-2 surface to air.

Original system was of cumbersome design, radio controlled with radar,antennas, command truck and what not, not autonomous but stationary site.

Something like this:

Yemeni Conflict: News #2 - Page 5 S-75-SAM-Site-PAVN-1966-1S

There is no way Yemeni Qahir-1 functions like that. All old S-75 launching sites are probably destroyed by saudi airstrikes anyway, not to mention it sole purpose was shooting down aircrafts.

The interesting thing is guidance system, how they make it to pretty precise surface-surface mode.

So the questions stands if this rocket have some Mcgyvery GPS guidance or sth. ?

I have said this many times on this forum:

The S-75 (SA-2) has a surface-surface mode.

On the top-left side of the operator's console, there is a switch called ZEMLYA (Ground).

When the Zemlya mode is switched on, the operator can manually enter the coordinates (distance, azimuth, height) of the intended target. The launched missile strikes the target with precision.

Basically, in the anti-air mode, a typical SAM system launches a missile towards the target who's coordinates (distance, azimuth, height) are provided by the radar. In the Zemlya mode, it is the same thing, except that the coordinates are entered manually by the operator.

Dima
    Dima

Post  Dima Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Haidar Sumeri ‏@IraqiSecurity 17 hours ago
    Saudi army unit smashed by Houthi fighters in Al-Dood mountains in Jizan, southern #Saudi.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm