Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

F-22 Raptor: News and Discussion

GarryB
    GarryB

F-22 Raptor: News and Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: F-22 Raptor: News and Discussion

Post  GarryB 07/12/20, 09:19 am

BTW systems growth... side looking AESA radars... brilliant... where do they come up with these genius ideas... amazing...

If I wasn't clear, I am suggesting that the new ideas the US is coming up for improving their aircraft and their arsenals that have nose mounted side looking radar, and putting the F-15 back into production essentially show them backtracking and copying what Russia did... the Su-57 was designed from the start with nose side mounted antenna along with wing mounted longer wave radar antenna, and of course the Su-35 and MiG-35 are both being kept in production because Russia has no intention of putting all their eggs in the super expensive stealth basket and leaving themselves without modern capable 4th gen fighters to defend themselves with.

nemrod and magnumcromagnon like this post

George1
    George1

F-22 Raptor: News and Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: F-22 Raptor: News and Discussion

Post  George1 07/12/20, 05:17 pm

thegopnik wrote:Dont think there is a F-22 thread but I find it very funny that it resembles the Su-57 in some ways.

There is Smile

nemrod likes this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman 10/12/20, 07:21 pm

I've just been reading YF-23/YF-22 stuff.

I just realized that the US airforce picked the F-22 specifically because they didn't want it to be an expensive and complicated one-off project that would have to be cancelled.

But it turned into that anyway. So picking the plane with lesser abilities , was all.for not.

It's a conventionally designed plane. It shouldn't have been so expensive. Maybe they should have done away with the super duper RAM and a few other things. To make the thing more viable.

GarryB likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 10/12/20, 11:42 pm

Backman wrote:I've just been reading YF-23/YF-22 stuff.

I just realized that the US airforce picked the F-22 specifically because they didn't want it to be an expensive and complicated one-off project that would have to be cancelled.

But it turned into that anyway. So picking the plane with lesser abilities , was all.for not.

It's a conventionally designed plane. It shouldn't have been so expensive. Maybe they should have done away with the super duper RAM and a few other things. To make the thing more viable.

The problem is not RAM and various stealth details. It is the rotten MIC procurement process where you have 7,000 dollar toilet seats
    The Pentagon can't account for over 3 trillion dollars spent between 1980 and 2010 (or something over 20 years, I forget). The
    fact that all models of a batch end up costing way over the estimated price indicates corruption. Supposedly all of the development
    costs have to be recovered. If that was true, then the initial samples would be expensive and the price would go down. You
    never see cars being sold for several times their current prices decades after they were developed (say going from a model T to
    a 1950s car type). They would be even cheaper if there was no phony competition to change the design on an annual basis
    down to the parts. Not every part of a car needs to be changed and thus giving us the overpriced used car parts market.

The F-22's are falling apart from old age. Their expensive maintenance is another racket. It is not the cost of materials, it is
    the "service". Just like with the over $50,000 per year cost of keeping inmates in jail. The ratio of prison guards to inmates
    is nowhere near low enough to explain it. It is because inmates are being "catered" to. So their food, clothing and other
    services are all gouging exercises. There is no way that their accommodations are better than any hotel. Supposedly they
    even do their own laundry but I think that in many cases this is another catering service.

Finty likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 11/12/20, 11:22 am

Private prisons are a racket... they might claim it costs 50K a year to keep a prisoner in prison but it sounds like they charge the prisoners for everything too... so they are double dipping.

A 5th gen stealth aircraft needs to be precision designed and built... a few mms out or angles a few degrees out and all the stealth design stops working, so it would be expensive to build and maintain, but the fact that they had money thrown at them meant they had no reason to make it cheaper or more affordable.

The F-22 was the more conventional more conservative choice so the took it.

Ironically I have read the two competitors for the joint strike fighter... lockheed martin, vs Boeing was all a joke and that Boeing really just wanted to test some technology to upgrade their B-2s and for other projects and didn't really expect to win the competition.

Because of this LM didn't really have any actual competition so they made their plane cancel proof by building it in places where senators with budget string access had voters living so they would never cancel it.

Making it enormously more expensive without improving capability.

To be clear a big powerful AESA radar would be expensive but it would also bring performance and capability improvements, but making that AESA in some depressed area that never made planes or components before makes it expensive and it might not work because the idiots making it don't really know what they are doing...

George1
    George1

Post  George1 16/03/21, 09:45 pm

A U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor stealth fighter jet crashed at the Eglin Air Force base in Florida at around 3.30pm Monday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9368143/F-22-Raptor-stealth-fighter-ends-nose-runway-Florida-Air-Force-base.html

LMFS and Finty like this post

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon 16/03/21, 10:24 pm

Oh have the mighty have fallen.
     F-22 Raptor: News and Discussion - Page 9 1615882186_f-22
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS 16/03/21, 11:45 pm

George1 wrote:A U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor stealth fighter jet crashed at the Eglin Air Force base in Florida at around 3.30pm Monday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9368143/F-22-Raptor-stealth-fighter-ends-nose-runway-Florida-Air-Force-base.html

No problem, they can replace if with some more F-15EX pwnd pwnd pwnd

Hole and Backman like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos 17/03/21, 12:19 am

Totally fake !

It is designed to take some rest when needed by itself. lol1
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole 17/03/21, 12:24 am

Did the pilot fell asleep on landing approach because of the nice fresh air he gets directly from the engine?

kvs and Backman like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon 17/03/21, 12:31 am

LMFS wrote:
    George1 wrote:A U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor stealth fighter jet crashed at the Eglin Air Force base in Florida at around 3.30pm Monday

No problem, they can replace if with some more F-15EX

If they do it then that pilot just saved loads of money for USAF and increased their combat readiness

He deserves a commendation

GarryB and lyle6 like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman 17/03/21, 10:37 am

Ha wow. F-22 crash day.

10 months since the last F-22 crashed. I guess they don't have gravity wheel deployment on these things ? Or a hand pump ? Or a hydraulic accumulator ?
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 18/03/21, 04:33 am

Mark my words, the F-15ex or F-16ex or whatever they are called are going to cost more than inflation adjusted brand new parts.
    There is always and excuse and the US politicians are all corporate whores.

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS 18/03/21, 05:19 am

Sure, in US MIC all programs start with the same BS (in a context of budgetary constraints, we need an affordable response to the increased levels of threat our adversaries pose blah blah) and end the same way after insane cost creeps to grease the hands of the whole political, military and industrial classes involved.

What I am really looking forward to seeing is how the US clown troupe are going to really make the best of their theatrical abilities to pretend they are climbing further their horse, when in reality they are pathetically dismounting by landing flat on their faces, with embarrassment episodes called F-22, F-35, F-15EX, maybe the "new" 4.5G fighter, the allegedly flown "6G NGAD/PCA demonstrator", the intelligence insulting farce called digital century fighters series and all the rest of their stunts, which in essence show nothing but lackluster backtracking on all the fronts on which they have been making loud statements for the last decades. I have my popcorn and am comfortably sitting in my armchair, getting ready for the show Laughing

GarryB and magnumcromagnon like this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 18/03/21, 06:14 am

PapaDragon wrote:

If they do it then that pilot just saved loads of money for USAF and increased their combat readiness

He deserves a commendation

Definitely a Purple Heart, seeing as she/they/zhe/zhir/whatever has suffered injuries fighting the most insidious force of all - the force of gravity Razz

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 23/04/21, 05:10 pm