Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+4
magnumcromagnon
Mike E
GarryB
pampa14
8 posters

Japanese Air Force WW2 planes

pampa14

Japanese Air Force WW2 planes Empty The Japanese battlehorse

Post  pampa14 Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:30 am

Although with certain disabilities, the Mitsubishi G4M was one of the pillars of the Japanese Air Force, especially during the early years of WW2, collecting numerous victories in many bombing missions. The following link provides a full report with a lot of pictures and information about this amazing bomber. I hope you enjoy it and I count on your visit.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/mitsubishi-g4m-betty.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

Japanese Air Force WW2 planes Empty Re: Japanese Air Force WW2 planes

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 am

Most westerners underestimate the Japanese military power in the late 1930s... if the US had not cracked their communications codes things could have taken a lot longer and perhaps even gone differently.

Many of their naval attack planes were excellent and rather better than planes the allies used at the time.
    pampa14

Japanese Air Force WW2 planes Empty Japanese Air Force WW2 planes

Post  pampa14 Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:03 pm

The Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka was a rocket powered human-guided anti-shipping kamikaze attack plane, using as a platform, the bomber Mitsubishi G4M Betty. The following link shows a report and some photos this weapon, employed by Japan towards the end of World War II. I hope you enjoy.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/uma-bomba-kamikase.html

Cheers.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:39 pm

pampa14 wrote:The Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka was a rocket powered human-guided anti-shipping kamikaze attack plane, using as a platform, the bomber Mitsubishi G4M Betty. The following link shows a report and some photos this weapon, employed by Japan towards the end of World War II. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers.
    It has always been one of my favorite "aircraft" designs of WW2. Literally a manned cruise missile. 

Not the most "humanitarian" solution, but...
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:53 pm

Mike E wrote:
    pampa14 wrote:The Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka was a rocket powered human-guided anti-shipping kamikaze attack plane, using as a platform, the bomber Mitsubishi G4M Betty. The following link shows a report and some photos this weapon, employed by Japan towards the end of World War II. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers.
    It has always been one of my favorite "aircraft" designs of WW2. Literally a manned cruise missile. 

Not the most "humanitarian" solution, but...

That was a bit much for the allies of WW2. Instead they opted for pigeons, dolphins, and dogs for explosive results... Twisted Evil
    pampa14

Japanese Air Force WW2 planes Empty Kawasaki Ki-100

Post  pampa14 Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:45 pm

I share with you the link below containing a collection of photos, including a rare photo of an airplane captured and with USAAF markings, of the Japanese fighter Kawasaki Ki-100, recognized by many as one of the best, if not the best Japanese fighter designed and built during WW2. Does Ki-100 deserves the fame? What do you think? Visit the link below, see the photos and give your opinion. I hope you enjoy.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/kawasaki-ki-100-goshikisen.html

Cheers.
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:38 pm

From what i've read it was an excellent fighter, but far too little and far too late by that time (entered combat summer 1945). Coming in 1943 might have made a difference in the air - same as Ki-84, A6M8, A7M,  Shiden-kai, Raiden etc.

Btw, the picture with the american star is actually a Ki-84 not a Ki-100.
    pampa14

Japanese Air Force WW2 planes Empty A Japanese Me-109

Post  pampa14 Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:18 pm

The link below provides a rare photo of a Me-109 used by Japan, with the mark of the Rising Sun emblazoned on the fuselage. Does anyone know if Japan used German fighters in combat? The link also features a selection of photos unimaginable for the High Command of the Luftwaffe at the beginning of WW2, see their powerful Me-109 and Fw-190 fighters captured and tested with allied markings. To view all photos, visit the link below:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/uma-visao-incomum-para-luftwaffe.html

Cheers.
    Godric
    Godric

Post  Godric Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:45 pm

pampa14 wrote:
    The link below provides a rare photo of a Me-109 used by Japan, with the mark of the Rising Sun emblazoned on the fuselage. Does anyone know if Japan used German fighters in combat? The link also features a selection of photos unimaginable for the High Command of the Luftwaffe at the beginning of WW2, see their powerful Me-109 and Fw-190 fighters captured and tested with allied markings. To view all photos, visit the link below:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/uma-visao-incomum-para-luftwaffe.html

Cheers.

the germans did give the Japanese plans for many of their aircraft and japan copied or modified their design the Japanese developed some inline aircraft based on plans of the Me109 and they put into action their modified version of the JU-88 the Germans also gave them plans for their ME262 jet fighter and Me163 comet the japs developed their own modified version of the 262 I don't know if it saw combat
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:07 am

The Japanese copy of Me-262 was called Nakajima J9Y Kikka and it never saw combat. Only one aircraft flew and only once, shortly before the end of the war. The fighter was meant (like Me-262) to be a destroyer of bombers but it's specifications were worse than Me-262, chiefly 200 km/h lower max speed The Japanese fighter did not have swept wings.
    Japanese Air Force WW2 planes Nakajima_kikka
    pampa14

Japanese Air Force WW2 planes Empty The japanese sword jet

Post  pampa14 Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:11 pm

I share with you this full report about the Japanese fighter jet Mitsubishi J8M, an effort to combat the growing advance of Allied bombers over Japan. Through the link below you will find a lot of information, photos, some rare and never seen by me before, details and in addition, diagrams and views. All this you can find by visiting the link below:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/j8m-espada-jato-japonesa.html

Best Regards!
    andalusia

Post  andalusia Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:33 am

GarryB wrote:Most westerners underestimate the Japanese military power in the late 1930s... if the US had not cracked their communications codes things could have taken a lot longer and perhaps even gone differently.

Many of their naval attack planes were excellent and rather better than planes the allies used at the time.

The Japanese naval planes were not better than the allies; where do you get that information from? They had little armor. This article explains the weakness of the Mitsubishi Zero:

https://www.historynet.com/myth-of-the-zero-fighter.htm

this is an even better one:

https://www.historynet.com/myth-of-the-zero.htm
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:26 am

Japanese fighters were world class when they entered service but IJA/IJN did not have a clear development strategy for their aviation so the pilots continued flying more and more obsolete aircraft throughout the war. You see that the Zero entered service in 1940 but it did not have a proper successor until 1944.

IJN also had very innovative submarines in late 1930s (No 71 Submarine was even faster underwater than the German Type XXI) but the projects weren't developed further as conservative admirality did not believe submarines are that important. IF they were, IJN could have an equivalent of Type XXI in service in mid war, it would be sinking US ships left and right and USN could do nothing but watch.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:09 pm