Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+36
nomadski
The-thing-next-door
Rodion_Romanovic
PhSt
Odin of Ossetia
higurashihougi
kvs
par far
OminousSpudd
Backinblack
Svyatoslavich
max steel
victor1985
Mike E
Jyshky
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
Admin
Cyberspec
Morpheus Eberhardt
George1
Regular
TR1
etaepsilonk
flamming_python
calripson
sepheronx
Deep Throat
Werewolf
zino
Firebird
macedonian
As Sa'iqa
Viktor
nemrod
milky_candy_sugar
40 posters

National Media of Russia

Firebird

National Media of Russia - Page 2 Empty Re: National Media of Russia

Post  Firebird Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    TR1 wrote:RT is mixed.
    They are often annoying conspiracy theorists.
    THey sometimes have decent reports where politics isn't involved.
    They have this one guy who does interviews who makes me cringe HARD.

Suffice it to say, I don't watch the show. 
    But then again I only watch Colbert and Stewart, and thats not for news.

Funny thing about RTs interviewers

My dad knows one (Al Gurnov)

And I know another (Peter Lavelle). Well virtually anyway, used to take part in a tiny political usergroup he ran on Google Groups and a small bunch of us would would always discuss Russia and politics.

I like Peter Lavelle. Its a weird thing to say, but he seems like some jovial uncle or something...
    Anyway, its nice to see a foreigner with a real passion for Russia too.

Some of the conspiracy stuff is a little off. Ofcourse I don't agree with everything about RT, but generally its pretty good. Also the presenter women tend to be hot (that is important for someone as superficial as me  tongue ), altho I think its a shame when some of them try and Americanise their acccents.

I also used to like Moscow Out. Altho the host, Martin Andrews always reminded me of a serial killer. He'd always start the episode sitting ontop of a rocking horse or something, coming out with this ridiculous and  decidely exaggerated chuckle...
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Firebird wrote:I like Peter Lavelle. Its a weird thing to say, but he seems like some jovial uncle or something...
    Anyway, its nice to see a foreigner with a real passion for Russia too.

He's a pure academic. An intellectual. Essentially a professor but with a public/'TV' personality that he can project; which is what got him the job at RT I guess.
    But as is often the case with academics; he's a little naive.

I remember in the group I participated, one of his main predictions back in the day is how when Putin steps down in favour of Medvedev, he would retire from politics and go to serve as the head of the Sochi 2014 committee, something along those lines.

Well that might have been true for someone like Schroder, to be fair..
    zino
    zino

Post  zino Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    I will take interfax news over the state run if I want objectivity on news regarding the government. Ria was good indeed and was pretty objective, but ultimately, still state owned hence still federal government asset

Something changed after Putin rielection: Ria Novosti started to mix facts with opinions in the same article. Often opinions (without signature) was disguised as facts. One for all, a month ago, "Ukraine, a state with NATO ambition". Is a well note fact that Ukraine is, for now, neutral as stated by the constitution.

I usually did as follows: if I wanted to check the bad news, how could I say, the pessimistic mood of the nation, I checked Ria Novosti. On the contrary the optimistic mood was (is) in Itar-Tass (great prevalence of good news). The only neutral and professional is indeed Interfax. Unfortunatly is not for free  cry , so we have to live with a fraction of the newsline.

Sergey Ivanov today on Ria Novosti: “Russia has its own independent politics and strongly defends its national interests: it’s difficult to explain this to the world but we can do this, and we must do this,”

Russia, a country with his own way of being. I stand with Sergey, for now. But I think and hope forever.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:10 am

Head of New Kremlin Media Agency Bids to Boost Russia's Image

This will end well. I just hope they will even more expand the news concering military.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 am

I won't get into conspiracy theories whether Putin is concentrating power (I don't know enough about it) but RIA Novosti (the english version at least) has in recent years turned into pile of crap. Silly headlines, a lot of stupid opinion pieces and analysis. If I want to read liberast fantasies and propaganda I'll go over to the Russophobe blog or any MSM website for that matter....I won't miss it much since I rarely read it lately
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:38 am

The worst so far i could experience is LENTA ru, which called Khardakovsky in an interview completley innocent and that this regime jailed him for nothing, totally ignoring murders still under investigation, bribings of politicians, selling russian state industries in oil buisness, weapon smuggles and so on.

Completley innocent the poor oligarch with millions if not billions.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:09 am

Opinion pieces on any site is usually bollocks if it praises one side or the other. To be fair, they need to be neutral.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 am

Such things as RIA Novosti and Lenta.ru are needed, in order to prevent everything being one-sided. Free Media is a good thing and Russia still has it in the printed and online sphere anyway, don't want that to be done away with.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:51 am

flamming_python wrote:Such things as RIA Novosti and Lenta.ru are needed, in order to prevent everything being one-sided. Free Media is a good thing and Russia still has it in the printed and online sphere anyway, don't want that to be done away with.

Alternatives are always good but not lying shitty news that make up things just to harm reputation and through the constant and quantity overwhelming lies it tries to create a perception in favor for one side.

Perspectives are needed not bought lies.
    Deep Throat
    Deep Throat

National Media of Russia - Page 2 Empty RIA Novosti dissolved ... question is why?

Post  Deep Throat Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 pm

I was in two minds as to whether I should post this topic under the RUSSIA thread or here .

I chose the later coz as a Weapons enthusiast I have often relied on RIA Novosti and Voice Of Russia for authentic information about the Russian Arms Industry .

It therefore came as a shock that RIA Novosti & Voice of Russia are being liquidated and will merge with several other state-run news agencies to emerge as Rossiya Segodnya .

RIA Novosti was established as the Soviet Information Bureau in 1941 and has since grown to become one of the world's largest international news agencies, with services in 14 languages.

Rossiya Segodnya is a newcomer , RIA Novosti and Voice Of Russia on the other hand is a brand name the world over .

Why destroy such a solid Brand Name ? People tend to believe in something that they are associated with for years .

Would like to hear the views of Forum Members .
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Ria became opinionated and a lot of their facts were quite wrong on a daily basis. As well, liquidation of assets are needed as there is far too much news publishers all under the same umbrella. Now its merging them into one asset. Money saved.

Arms Tass is pretty good. Same with Rusnavy is pretty good too. Use google translate and you will be able to read sdelanounas, which has a military section as well.

I stopped reading Ria quite a while ago due to their questionable information.
    calripson

National Media of Russia - Page 2 Empty RIA

Post  calripson Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 pm

RIA's editorial slant became quite pro-western in a very subtle way. I thought I was reading a news source based in London or DC. Obviously, I wasn't the only one who noticed.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Yes but that's good, it was a government-funded source but a clearly independent one.

I wouldn't say it was pro-Western at all.

Anyway, Shoigu announced the formation of a new military news agency a few days back. He's a smart man and had you people in mind and covered already.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Really? I thought that was because RIA and VoR sort of duplicated themselves, didn't they?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Because old propaganda wasn't working and they wanted to create new organs under politically reliable control.

In other words same old, same old.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 pm

TR1 wrote:Because old propaganda wasn't working and they wanted to create new organs under politically reliable control.

In other words same old, same old.

But they consolidate Ria and VoR under one company, don't they?
    In that case, aren't the main reasons for such consolidations to reduce money spending?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Trust me, Russian government could care less about money spending of state media, as much as making Putin and Co look good.
    etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:24 pm

TR1 wrote:Trust me, Russian government could care less about money spending of state media, as much as making Putin and Co look good.

Oh, I see. So the government want to make Putin and Co look even better. But is that even possible?  lol! 
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:27 pm

RIA Novosti was one of my favorite news from Russia. It wasn't pro-Western and it was giving objective news. These days it's impossible to find objective news anymore, be it west or east.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Kremlin's fears from 1. situation in ukraine may repeat in russia, 2. ria novosti had a page dedicated to political prisoners
    Deep Throat
    Deep Throat

Post  Deep Throat Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:37 pm

flamming_python wrote:Yes but that's good, it was a government-funded source but a clearly independent one.

And imagine the thousands of employees of RIA Novosti who will be fired . This is disgusting . Already the job market is bad , the world over .

flamming_python wrote:Anyway, Shoigu announced the formation of a new military news agency a few days back. He's a smart man and had you people in mind and covered already.

Flamming , which one ? Got the URL handy ?
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Deep Throat wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:Anyway, Shoigu announced the formation of a new military news agency a few days back. He's a smart man and had you people in mind and covered already.

Flamming , which one ? Got the URL handy ?

Lost the original but found a couple other sources

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/defense-ministry-news-agency-planned-for-2014/490968.html
    http://voiceofrussia.com/radio_broadcast/25950828/254784369/
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:54 am

Regular wrote:RIA Novosti was one of my favorite news from Russia. It wasn't pro-Western and it was giving objective news. These days it's impossible to find objective news anymore, be it west or east.

Regular,

This is an excerpt from a RIA Novosti "news" story "published" by "them" earlier today.

"... China's space program is an enormous source of pride for the country, the third to carry out a lunar soft landing — which does not damage the craft and the equipment it carries — after the United States and the former Soviet Union. The last one was by the Soviet Union in 1976. ..."

If you don't mind, here are a few questions.

When an uninformed person reads this paragraph, which country, do you think, he/she would think achieved the "first" soft landing on the moon?

Do you think the design of this paragraph was merely accidental, or it was purposefully crafted by some entity to achieve the effect I think it was supposed to achieve?

If you think the design of this paragraph was just accidental, then why all of RIA Novosti articles are similarly designed to achieve similar effects?
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:45 am

You didn't have to be a genius to see that RIA Novosti was run by the so called liberals (russophobes) and it's editorial policy was skewed in that direction. I was banned for posting critical comments on a couple of their crappy articles/oppinion pieces....so much for their freedom of speech.

If they want to spread anti Russian propaganda they can get employment in any opposition rag or western media outlet (they'll fit right in), not get paid for by the Russian state....good riddance! I'm only surprised it took as long as it did to get rid of them.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:31 am

flamming_python wrote:Yes but that's good, it was a government-funded source but a clearly independent one.

I wouldn't say it was pro-Western at all.

Anyway, Shoigu announced the formation of a new military news agency a few days back. He's a smart man and had you people in mind and covered already.

Agreed, just because the editorials criticised some ministry policy doesn't make it pro-Western.  It makes it less biased. Now it is going to be another controlled state mouthpiece.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:33 am