Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+27
magnumcromagnon
zg18
zino
collegeboy16
medo
sepheronx
coolieno99
GarryB
Zivo
macedonian
russianumber1
Admin
TR1
flamming_python
Vann7
calripson
Werewolf
Viktor
Flyingdutchman
Regular
Hannibal Barca
gaurav
AlfaT8
As Sa'iqa
KomissarBojanchev
Firebird
George1
31 posters

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

flamming_python
    flamming_python

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

Post  flamming_python Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:31 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:This is what you start to do when you read only neoliberal western media:
    "
    My daily deep thought on things relates to the official song of Russia on the Olympics-- the silly song of the duo Tatu -- “You’re not gonna get us.” I am a sort of Tatu fan, although nowadays they sound pretty démodé. However, despite my musical preferences, I can’t stop wandering why on earth an Olympic host would choose a song with such a tasteless refrain--- You’re not gonna get us! (Нас недогонят)??
    I mean, it doesn’t show much hospitality, does it? Nor it displays humility, typical of the Olympic spirit. What it shows is a boisterous and baseless bragging about, well, I don’t know about what. Because Russia these days doesn’t have much to brag about, except, of course, corruption and being backward. And, of course, in this respect it has very little competition. That’s why, I find it quite pathetic to announce yourself with this song. If I were a Russian athlete, I would have been embarrassed."

A Bulgarian "liberal" wrote this on facebook.

Haha, for a secound I thought it was your own views, I was like whaaaaaa??

Believe me, Russian liberals aren't much different. You could just as well hear the exact same words coming from them
    TR1
    TR1

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

Post  TR1 Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Well, apparently Russia does have something to brag about, hosting an Olympics Wink
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:32 am

Putin must be shitting a brick that snowflake didn't open to finish the rings.
    russianumber1

Post  russianumber1 Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:47 am

Just a small detail was the best of all
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:49 am

Vladimir79 wrote:Putin must be shitting a brick that snowflake didn't open to finish the rings.  

Yes that was a bit embarrassing.
    But it was a great show altogether. I enjoyed it.

Edit to add:

Was big of the Chinese and the Japanese to come out with both Chinese/Japanese and Russian flags.
    The contrast to this were the Germans, pushing an agenda...I hated that personally.

Last edited by macedonian on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add stuff)
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 am

Putin must be shitting a brick that snowflake didn't open to finish the rings.

The mechanics behind it looked pretty complex. Same with the three horses.

Was big of the Chinese and the Japanese to come out with both Chinese/Japanese and Russian flags.

I have to applause the Japanese. After the political rift with Russia they showed true Olympic spirit. Unlike the US delegation and our disgusting media machine.

Overall, I liked it. It's too bad NBC's commentator couldn't keep their mouth shut.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:02 am

Its called psychological economic war.
    Telling people every 20 minutes that there will be a terrorist attack in Russia
    and how it will be.. is simply saying to all the western world.. DONT GO.
    Russia invested 50 $US billions in building not only the sport events but also building
    a entire new city from scratch . and Western Jewish controlled media is doing everything
    they can to find flaws in the Olympics and scare people. CNN discussion forums is nearly filled
    with people with complains to CNN to stop their propaganda Anti Russian propaganda. That is getting old.. they even recycle the articles bashing the olympics. And repeat the terrorist attacks that happened last years again and again . And go back in History to all the terrorist attacks in RUssia.. Truly a FEar mongering bashing campaign that have most of their Audience totally disgusted. but is not only exclusive the Rusophobia to American controlled mainstream media but also European mainstream media. I saw the ring "fail' and did not see anything embarrassing about it.. just a minor mistake.

The following report summarize most of the negativity against Sochi Before the events began.

http://rt.com/news/sochi-worst-olympics-toilet-918/

Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:57 pm

macedonian wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:Putin must be shitting a brick that snowflake didn't open to finish the rings.  

Yes that was a bit embarrassing.
    But it was a great show altogether. I enjoyed it.

Edit to add:

The contrast to this were the Germans, pushing an agenda...I hated that personally.

Germany, and some certain other Anglosaxon countries move towards irrelevancy.
    There is a point when nobody pays any more attention to what you say and they very much flirt with this line lately.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:03 pm

Vann7 wrote:
    Its called psychological economic war.
    Telling people every 20 minutes that there will be a terrorist attack in Russia
    and how it will be.. is simply saying to all the western world.. DONT GO.
    Russia invested 50 $US billions in building not only the sport events but also building
    a entire new city from scratch . and Western Jewish controlled media is doing everything
    they can to find flaws in the Olympics and scare people. CNN discussion forums is nearly filled
    with people with complains to CNN to stop their propaganda Anti Russian propaganda. That is getting old.. they even recycle the articles bashing the olympics. And repeat the terrorist attacks that happened last years again and again . And go back in History to all the terrorist attacks in RUssia.. Truly a FEar mongering bashing campaign that have most of their Audience totally disgusted. but is not only exclusive the Rusophobia to American controlled mainstream media but also European mainstream media. I saw the ring "fail' and did not see anything embarrassing about it.. just a minor mistake.

The following report summarize most of the negativity against Sochi Before the events began.

http://rt.com/news/sochi-worst-olympics-toilet-918/

There is no such a thing like negative publicity my friend.
    They are so much blinded by their panic that they even forget their own quotes.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Congrats to Russia for the most stunning Olimpic Games opening by far!
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 pm

I could not see the opening ceremony .In India(my dish tv) was no channel which was broadcasting this.
    Can any one of yu post utube link for that..?
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm

It really a shame that the Russians are only 7th place in medal count. I thought they'd be more prepared. Instead of making such an impressive, but mostly useless opening, Russia should've invested more money in better training facilities and athletes that don't suck.
    Is there an extremely tiny chance that Russia might in the next few decades have a medal count a bit closer to that of the USSR?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:00 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:It really a shame that the Russians are only 7th place in medal count. I thought they'd be more prepared. Instead of making such an impressive, but mostly useless opening, Russia should've invested more money in better training facilities and athletes that don't suck.
    Is  there an extremely tiny chance that Russia might in the next few decades have a medal count a bit closer to that of the  USSR?

Is there a chance you wont make an ass of yourself one day?

Why dont you get off your ass and train and get into the Olympics, instead of accusing others of sucking.

Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:41 am

Why you offend this boy again? If only your logic was shared by all there would be no forum.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:45 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:Why you offend this boy again? If only your logic was shared by all there would be no forum.

Even tho he was maybe little bit harsh but he is right, the post of that kid is just stupid.

Disrespecting and shaming a country and athletes of getting outperformed by other athlets in a sports competition and then mumbling bullshit and insulting a country and how to spend money into training...that nonsense would deserve a slap right into his face in a real conversation.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:Why you offend this boy again? If only your logic was shared by all there would be no forum.

Because our young friend posts a lot of nonsense. If he takes my advice and thinks and investigates a little before saying, he will find it will help him later on in life.

Like Werewolf said the post was stupid, illogical, and plan ignorant.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:10 am

Is there an extremely tiny chance that Russia might in the next few decades have a medal count a bit closer to that of the USSR?

High medal counts didn't really do that much for the USSR now did it?

It was all about bragging rights... whose value is almost nil.

On the other hand hosting this olympics has meant an enormous amount of spending on one small area of Russia that lacked infrastructure and can now serve as an excellent holiday destination for the whole country that does not involve international travel and foreign exchange and translators.

A vast majority of the locations for events were designed to be modular so when the games is over they can be taken elsewhere where they can be used for other things, while many things like skifields were already there, new infrastructure... chair lifts, hotels, cafes have been added to make it a much better place to visit... summer and winter.

You talk about medals... without looking it up how many medals did Russia win in any olympic games in the 1990s?

If you don't know why is it so important?

There are many things in Russia that need attention and to be fixed... the number of gold medals they win at olympic games is very low on that list.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 pm

If this Winter Olympics has shown anything - it's that it's about everything else BUT the medals and sport.

For the Russians and their local residents of the area, for the West and its journalists, for the Islamists and their terrorists, etc...

So actually, Russia not finishing on top of the table isn't likely to be such a concern for it, nor for anyone else.
    Having said that though; we're seeing the same pattern as in the Summer Olympics too. The disciplines where Russia will excel haven't come up yet for the most part AFAIK. Plenty of time to catch up.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Sochi photographed from space (ISS) Very Happy 

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games - Page 2 Gb8aUmd
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:38 pm

flamming_python wrote:If this Winter Olympics has shown anything - it's that it's about everything else BUT the medals and sport.

For the Russians and their local residents of the area, for the West and its journalists, for the Islamists and their terrorists, etc...

So actually, Russia not finishing on top of the table isn't likely to be such a concern for it, nor for anyone else.
    Having said that though; we're seeing the same pattern as in the Summer Olympics too. The disciplines where Russia will excel haven't come up yet for the most part AFAIK. Plenty of time to catch up.

Indeed. Russia could win 5 medals in total, and if everything else goes smoothly, it does not matter.
    coolieno99
    coolieno99

Post  coolieno99 Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Today, Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar captured the gold in pairs figure skating, while Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov took the silver. Making a 1-2 finish for the Russians in pairs figure skating.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Russia Takes Gold, Silver in Men’s 1,000m Short Track at Sochi

SOCHI, February 15 (R-Sport) – Russia's Viktor Ahn won the gold and Vladimir Grigorev the silver in a glorious 1,000m short track speedskating final for the host nation at the Sochi Olympics on Saturday.

Ahn led from the start and was never seriously challenged for a fourth career Olympic gold medal and his second medal of the Sochi Games at the Iceberg Skating Palace. He timed 1:25.325, with Grigorev clocking 1:25.399 for his first major global medal at the age of 31. World silver medalist Sjinkie Knegt of the Netherlands claimed the bronze in 1:25.611.

The victory elicited a deafening roar from the 12,000 capacity crowd, after which Ahn and Grigorev grabbed huge Russian flags and took them on laps of honor.

"Of course I'm happy. I'm very happy, but I'm even more happy because Russia managed to win both the gold and silver," Ahn said. "I had no idea Russia was such a strong short track country. I want to try to win the relay and hope to enjoy the other competitions at these Games."

He added: "It's my first Olympics in my home country. I'm so grateful for all the support people have given me here."

Grigorev, meanwhile, revealed the tactics that propeled the pair to glory.

"I was speaking to Viktor earlier and it was our strategy for me to block out the skaters, to hold them back, and for us to go fast so it would be impossible for the other athletes to chase us," said Grigorev, who represented Ukraine at Salt Lake City in 2002 and Torino 2006.

Ahn, 28, became one of speedskating's all-time greats as a competitor for his native South Korea, where he was known as Ahn Hyun-Soo, winning 20 world championship gold medals and three Olympic titles in Turin. After reportedly falling out with Korean coaches he switched allegiances to Russia in 2011, getting citizenship in 2012.

He reportedly becomes the first athlete to win Winter Games gold medals for different countries not sharing a common history, such as the Soviet Union and Russia or Balkan countries.

Ahn claimed the Sochi bronze behind Canada's Charles Hamelin and China's Han Tianyu in the 1,500m on Monday. Hamelin had been in contention for the 1,000m title but crashed out in the quarterfinals.

It is Ahn's second career gold in the 1,000m, after taking the title in 2006 along with the 1,500m and 5,000m relay. He also won the 500m bronze in Turin, the same medal as in Sochi this week, and takes his career Olympic medal haul to six.

It's also a third Sochi gold medal for his adopted nation; the others came in figure skating. Russia won the inaugural team event and the pairs title went to Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Russia’s Tretiakov Snatches Gold in Men’s Skeleton at Olympics

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia, February 15 (R-Sport) – Alexander Tretiakov won Russia its first ever Olympic gold in any sliding sport when he won the men’s skeleton at the Sochi Olympics on Saturday.

Tretiakov won by 0.81 seconds, a large margin in skeleton, from Latvia’s Martins Dukurs, who took silver for the second Olympics in a row. Tretiakov’s gold is Russia’s fourth of its home Olympics and the second of the day after a win for Viktor Ahn in short-track speedskating.

Matthew Antoine of the United States took the bronze, a full 2.16 seconds off Dukurs.

There was heartbreak for US slider John Daly, who had been just four-hundredths of a second off Antoine before the final run. Daly’s sled slipped out of its starting groove as he pushed it and he was lucky to hold on, but lost a large amount of time and dropped to 15th.

Lizzy Yarnold of Britain won the women’s competition Friday, ahead of Noelle Pikus-Pace of the US and Russia's Elena Nikitina.
    russianumber1

Post  russianumber1 Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm

russia in 3rd place in the medals table)))))
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:10 pm

1st place in number of medals too.

So much for sucky atheletes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 pm