February 8, 00:46WSJ: China surpasses US in number of ICBM launchers
China is rapidly approaching nuclear parity, Congressman Mike Rogers says.
NEW YORK, 8 February. /TASS/. The PRC has more launchers for land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) than the United States. This was reported by The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday, citing data from the Strategic Command (STRATCOM) of the US Armed Forces.
"The number of launchers for silo-based intercontinental ballistic missiles and mobile ICBM launchers in China exceeds the number of launchers for ICBMs in the United States," the publication quotes an excerpt from a letter from the head of STRATCOM to the armed services committees of both houses of the US Congress. Currently, this military department is headed by Air Force General Anthony Cotton.
At the same time, the US military assured members of Congress that the US surpasses China in the number of land-based ICBMs, in addition, these missiles are equipped with a large number of nuclear warheads. Also, the data provided by the military department did not take into account submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), as well as long-range bombers. In these areas, the publication claims, the United States has a clear advantage over China.
According to the newspaper, some lawmakers are calling for an increase in the country's nuclear potential to confront China and Russia.
"China is rapidly approaching [nuclear] parity. We can't let that happen. It's time to change the balance of power and expand our capabilities," Congressman Mike Rogers (R-Alabama), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, was quoted by the paper as saying. US Congress.
At the same time, The Wall Street Journal points out, arms control supporters believe that it is more profitable for the United States to maintain the Treaty on Measures for the Further Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms (START) with Russia and start arms control talks with China.About START
Last week, Russian Ambassador to the United States Anatoly Antonov said that Moscow has been impeccably observing START throughout the years, unlike Washington. The diplomat stressed that the responsibility for the escalation of the situation around the treaty lies entirely with the United States. He commented on a report prepared earlier by the US State Department, which claims that Russia allegedly did not comply with the terms of the START and can return to its full compliance by allowing inspections on its territory, and also agreeing to a meeting of the advisory commission.
The US and Russia signed the treaty in 2010. According to its terms, each of the parties reduces its strategic offensive weapons in such a way that seven years after the entry into force of the document and thereafter, their total numbers will not exceed 700 deployed intercontinental ballistic missiles, ballistic missiles of submarines and heavy bombers, 1,550 warheads on them, 800 deployed and non-deployed launchers of ICBMs, SLBMs and HBs. The agreement, designed for 10 years, expired on February 5, 2021, however, the document provides for the possibility of extension by mutual agreement of the parties. In February 2021, Moscow and Washington extended the agreement for the maximum possible five years.