Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+6
ahmedfire
GarryB
Agressor
prime13
sepheronx
Admin
10 posters

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos

Agressor
    Agressor

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 Empty Loss of military equipment RUSSIA

Post  Agressor Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Loss of military equipment RUSSIA

1.TANKS
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 F4ba3a699817
    Who: T-72BM/BU tank from the 141st Tank Battalion separate
    Where: South Ossetia, Tskhinvali, South peacekeeping base.
    Burned 09/08/2008, at approximately 18-19 hours of the day on the southern outskirts of Tskhinvali, in the location of the base of the Russian peacekeepers. One of the two tanks 141 OTB, forced their way into the location of the peacekeepers in an unsuccessful attempt to release them during the day August 9 by the first battalion of 135 SMEs and 141 tank company OTB. The tank support fire for several hours peacekeepers, exhausted ammunition and was damaged. The crew abandoned him and joined the peacekeepers, and then in the evening August 9 went along with them. Tank commander, Lieutenant Alexander Popov was wounded in the leg.
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 62d95ff4c47f
    Who: The T-62M (tactical number 232) from the 70 th Motorized Rifle Regiment 42th Guards Motorized Rifle Division
    Where: South Ossetia, Tskhinvali, Moscow street
    Hit around noon on August 10 in Tskhinvali, on the street of Moscow. Killing two crew members - Commander of a tank platoon Guard Lieutenant Vitaly Neff and charging tank Guard soldier Serik Kumarov.
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 B3143dec661c
    Who: The T-72B (tactical number 321) from the 1st Tank Battalion Company 693rd Cavalry Regiment 19th Infantry Division
    Where: Georgia, the village of Zemo Khviti
    Destroyed around 14.30 on 11 August in the village of Zemo Khviti (Zemo Quito) Outdoor Column 693rd infantry regiment entered the village and was ambushed. The tank was hit by a grenade launcher, as a result of falling into the tank ammunition exploded, killing the entire crew of Lt. Michael Molchan driver's ordinary conscript Maxim Pasko and operator-gunner ordinary conscripts Dmitry Burdenko. Anti-tank calculation Georgians shot down the tank, was in turn destroyed by soldiers of the battalion "Vostok" with the sweep of the village.

2. ARMOURED COMBAT VEHICLES

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 F25b492d1577
    BRDM-2 reconnaissance company of the 135th Motorized Rifle Regiment from the BTG. Destroyed by hitting the tank armor-piercing projectile.
    Severe wound received her mechanic-driver Oleg Riedel (lost his sight)
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 1b8ddf818624
    During the march the regiment in South Ossetia, August 9, an accident with fatalities. Even in Russia, North Ossetia, armored regiment fell from a bridge near the village of Nar.
    As a result, killing two soldiers regiment junior sergeants Kondrashov and Tsygankov, three more soldiers were injured.
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 Abf114c6fd52
    BTR-80 242-second self-propelled artillery regiment of the 19th mechanized infantry division. Non-combat losses - an accident August 8, 2008 in South Ossetia, the nomination of the regiment.
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 F5187faba5de
    On the morning of August 8, during a march to the aid of an attacked Tskhinvali the column advanced battalion tactical group 693rd Motorized Rifle Regiment through Guftinsky bridge, the engine of BMP-2 № 005 is stuck right on it. For a quick
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 0289b220fcb4
    Russian BMP-2 from the 135th Regiment. Burned by Georgian mortars on the Dzar Road
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 29706cff9d62
    A group of three wrecked BMP-1 column from the 1st Battalion, 135th Cavalry Regiment (General Khruleva column). These BMPs were in the head of the column and which was destroyed by Georgians, not the entire column
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 E68f52261a62
    Russian BMP-2 from the 693rd Motorized Rifle Regiment. Burned in a battle in the village of Zemo Nikozi
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 42aedbb36a06
    Burned Russian machine guns 1V13 fire-control based on MTLB landfill technology in Tskhinvali
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 Bc382ddb916b
    When nominating a column by day August 11th battalion of the Georgian territory inland was damaged as a result of "friendly fire" from a Russian Su-25
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 Fa187331b28c
    As a result of fighting and heavy shelling of the Georgian peacekeeping battalion of artillery Russia lost almost all their equipment

3.MILITARY TRANSPORT TECHNOLOGY

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 32d875909b2e
    Russian GAZ-66. Burned by Georgian mortars on the Zar Road. Total burned 4-10 cars
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 7ca5f64f2576
    Russian URAL fell off a cliff. non-combat losses
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 De0907de1074
    Frustrated URAL Russian peacekeeping battalion

4. AVIATION

The wreckage of Russian combat aircraft to Georgia and South Ossetia
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 0bfc881dd893
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 6ca693b8ed24
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 8befa47a32d2
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 7ea855ffaa11

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 A4219b74a29f
    Non-combat losses, which occurred several days after the end of active hostilities. When landing on a platform near the town of Java hurt Mi-24 helicopter, standing on the ground that led to catastrophe. Mi-8MTKO crashed and caught fire. Killed Alexander Burlachko mechanic, the other three crew members were seriously burned. As a result of fire or explosion of munitions 8MTKO Mi-and Mi-24 were completely destroyed.

Last edited by Agressor on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Agressor
    Agressor

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 Empty Loss of military equipment SOUTH OSSETIA

Post  Agressor Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 pm

1. TANKS

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 E979b8df8bc2
    T-55 from the separate Army tank company in South Ossetia. Hit in Tskhinvali, was wounded a driver

2. ARMOURED COMBAT VEHICLES

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 849b5dda9b53
    BMP-2 № 119 from the South Ossetian battalion of "Alania"
    2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 8ee8674ae128
    BMP-2 № 118 from the South Ossetian battalion of "Alania"

Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 Empty Re: 2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos

Post  Russian Patriot Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 pm

My colleague GarryB asked you to do a intro and yet you break the rules and continue ?

Follow the Request or you will be banned and this thread deleted!

I give you 48 hours to do so!

-RP
    Admin
    Admin

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 Empty Re: 2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos

Post  Admin Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Agressor has been banned for back talking moderators. I like the thread so it can stay open.
    ali.a.r

Post  ali.a.r Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:19 am

It's a pity. He had a lot of potential.

From all accounts, I understand that out of the six or seven Russian aircraft lost in the war, only two were shot down by Georgia. The rest were due to friendly fire from Russian forces on the ground using mostly MANPADS. I'm guessing that these quite high losses were due to lack of a proper Command & control system, especially between the AirForce and the troops on the ground. Yes?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 am

6-7 is a little high.

AFAIK there was the Tu-22MR, a Su-24 of unknown type (could have been the strike model or possibly the recon or jammer model), and 3 Su-25s, with quite a few Su-25s landing with one engine severely damaged.

Considering that the Georgians claimed they moved their forces into South Ossetia in response to Russian aggression, I would not believe a single thing they say.

Not to say I believe everything the Russians say of course... the first victim of war is often the truth.

From what I have read the Frogfoot aircraft were operating low as normal to spot and engage ground targets with unguided weapons.

The Tu22MR and the Su-24 on the other hand would not be flying low as they recognised the main threat to aircraft were MANPADS.

The aircraft I mentioned above that were shot down were shot down because the BUK has a large 70kg warhead, while the Su-25s that were damaged and returned to base were hit by MANPADs.... likely Groms and Iglas.

I am sure agressor might have been interesting to chat to on this and perhaps other topics, but he had completely the wrong attitude.

When asked to comply with the forum rules and post an introduction he obviously lost his temper and sent an abusive PM to RP. I am an easy going guy, but that is just not acceptable.

Perhaps with a break of two weeks or a month he might think about what he has said and done and with a sincere apology to Russian Patriot might get unbanned... that is totally up to Vlad.

He has obviously spent a lot of time putting the above posts together and I was rather looking forward to discussing them with him, but his behaviour was childish and insulting and couldn't be ignored.

I mean ask yourself... was posting an introduction really that hard?

Of course he might just never come back... it is up to him ...and Vlad of course, I think a cool down period, plus a sincere apology and a promise to follow the rules might satisfy Vlad.

Just from his posts I can tell agressor is likely Russian, so it would be useful to have him, but again there is no place for people who don't follow the rules and abuse Mods.

Anyway... here is a pic:

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 1df42a10
    ali.a.r

Post  ali.a.r Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:19 am

To the best of my knowledge Russian aircraft losses were, 1 Tu-22M, two Su-24 and three/four Su-25. Thats just what I heard, I'm happy to be wrong.

As for Agressor, if he's in a repenting mood, I say give him another chance.

Are those Humvees captured from the Georgians?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Off Topic
    As for Agressor, if he's in a repenting mood, I say give him another chance.

Sorry, I don't think it is appropriate to discuss this sort of thing on the forum... this is not a democracy, and I am not prepared to give you all the details of what was said by whom.

I think we should just leave it at things were said in anger, so a cooling off period has been imposed. The door is not closed and bolted and then bricked up, but a serious and sincere apology and attitude change needs to occur before that kid is allowed to come and play in this toyshop again.

There are no rights to be here, Vlad makes the rules, and in this case aware of the facts that I am aware of I agree with the decisions made.

No more discussion about this please, I only posted this because I felt other members needed an explanation... this will not become a public discussion for all the same reasons that trial by media is bad.

Back on topic, I had heard mention of two Su-24s, but had not heard confirmation of the second from the Russians.
    ali.a.r

Post  ali.a.r Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Ok. Ok. I got it.
    ali.a.r

Post  ali.a.r Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 am

Back on topic, I had heard mention of two Su-24s, but had not heard confirmation of the second from the Russians.

To the best of my knowledge, the first Su-24 was shot down on the morning of August 9. It was apparently brought down by Grom MANPADS. The incident was recorded on camera, so it's pretty much undisputed.

The second Su-24, was shot down on the morning of August 11. It was apparently shot down by a Russian convoy en route to Gori using MANPADS (a friendly fire incident). The only solid evidence is the wreckage which ended up all over the S.Ossetian mountains.

Thats the best I can find. I got it by checking and cross-checking various accounts (some pro-Russian versions claimed just one Su-25 was lost, while the more anti-Russian ones preposterously claimed that as many as 15 aircraft were downed). I just narrowed it down to the six or seven incidents which appear in most reports.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 am

Frat was high because pilots and soldiers were deaf and blind. They have no picture of the battlespace, no IFF and no communications telling them what is going on. Situational awareness was about as good as a WWII battle.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:55 am

Thats the best I can find. I got it by checking and cross-checking various accounts (some pro-Russian versions claimed just one Su-25 was lost, while the more anti-Russian ones preposterously claimed that as many as 15 aircraft were downed). I just narrowed it down to the six or seven incidents which appear in most reports.

I have seen a lot of pictures of Su-25s returning to base with significant parts of their engine exhaust missing... I would expect those would immediately descend and rapidly vacate the area and could be mistaken for being shot down.

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 026af10

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 85392810

2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 86613810
    ali.a.r

Post  ali.a.r Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:00 pm

No, no, I'm talking about ones that were actually SHOT DOWN, as in they crashed.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 pm

The correct losses of RuAF are:
    3 x Su-25
    2 x Su-24
    1 x Tu-22M

Here are all the details compiled by Anton Lavrov:
    http://sites.google.com/site/afivedaywar/Home/ruairlosses

By the way Anton Lavrov is a co-author of the "Tanks of August" book.
    You can read the book here: http://sites.google.com/site/afivedaywar/Home/ruairlosses

He is also a co-author of "Russia's New Army" book:
    The book can be found here: http://www.cast.ru/files/book/NewArmy_sm.pdf
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:56 pm

No, no, I'm talking about ones that were actually SHOT DOWN, as in they crashed.

Yes, I realise that... Smile

What I am trying to say is that if you are a Georgian soldier with a GROM or Igla and you spot an Su-25 over head that has climbed up and is turning to dive on your column of vehicles... you aim and get a weak lock... the plane comes in and fires on your column and rolls away and you follow him with your launcher and as he turns away you get a solid lock on his rear and fire and you stand and watch your missile climb up after him and explode right on his tail and you watch him lose height and trail smoke and he disappears behind a hill... you are going to call that a kill, but I suspect quite a few of the so called kills were like the aircraft above that were only hit and not actually brought down.
    The other source of "extra" kills in combat is duplicate reporting... where two different sources report the same shoot down and it is recorded as two kills instead of one.

KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:39 am

Agressor wrote: 2008 South Ossetia War: Photos and Videos - Page 2 71403a311254

Destroyed Georgian radar 36D6. Struck by a missile from a Russian SU-34

Which retard gave Georgia such a sophisticated piece of kit? Yushenko? I bet this radar helped the Ukrainian Buk batteries by providing early detection and observation of Russian planes far inside Russian territory angry

Is there a chance Georgia was trying to obtain S-300PM too?
    Could the Georgians have fused it to their Buks so as to carry out targeting?

Seems like the Georgians claimed Russia tried to eliminate it back in 2007.

Georgian airspace has been violated on August 6, 2007, by Russian military aircraft
    three times. During the third intrusion, the Russian intruder aircraft penetrated into
    Georgian territory as deeply as 70 kms, launched an anti-radar missile KH-58 in a
    clear attempt to neutralize Georgian military radar 36D6. However, the missile
    failed to reach the target and didn’t explode upon the impact on the ground near the
    village of Tsitelubani, 60 kms west of capital city Tbilisi.

http://www.osce.org/fsc/28234?download=true

unshaven

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 05, 2024 10:16 am