Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+57
Dr.Snufflebug
lyle6
AlfaT8
Rodion_Romanovic
wilhelm
Swgman_BK
sepheronx
Azi
caveat emptor
walle83
Gazputin
magnumcromagnon
Podlodka77
flamming_python
Hole
Arkanghelsk
Bob Bollusc
medo
Autodestruct
pukovnik7
thegopnik
slavjunk
dino00
Scorpius
Big_Gazza
owais.usmani
mnztr
Kiko
Daniel_Admassu
Sujoy
Rasisuki Nebia
d_taddei2
RTN
Eugenio Argentina
limb
lancelot
zepia
Russian_Patriot_
ALAMO
littlerabbit
Mindstorm
SeigSoloyvov
GreyHog
kvs
Lennox
JohninMK
hoom
Mir
marcellogo
GarryB
Gomig-21
George1
Atmosphere
Backman
Isos
Broski
PapaDragon
61 posters

Sukhoi LTS "Checkmate" #2

LMFS
    LMFS

Sukhoi LTS "Checkmate" #2 - Page 19 Empty Re: Sukhoi LTS "Checkmate" #2

Post  LMFS Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:55 pm

Hole wrote:Most of the stuff going into the Su-75 is already tested on the Su-57 and/or Okhotnik. The first flight maybe delayed a few month but I doubt that they will need as many test flights/flight hours as with the Su-57. It will go pretty fast from first flight to first supersonic flight to first dropping of bombs/launching missiles.

That is the issue I was referring to above, we do not exactly know how is the share between digital and real world testing that this new DI standard demands, basically because it is a completely new paradigm. So, if they do not move the production dates to the right, it may well mean that they have figured out how to perform even a bigger part of the project on digital models than previously expected, and that would paradoxically mean good news... They may simply have delays, not excluding that at all. We just don't know.

GarryB likes this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:13 am

ARMY 2022 interview with UAC's Yuri Slyusar

— That year, UAC introduced the Su-75 Checkmate single-engine light fighter. What is currently being done on the program of this aircraft? Have you already created a cooperative team that will participate in the creation of the fighter?

— The Checkmate project is at the stage of pre-production of the first prototypes. The basis of the project is formed, proven over the years, joint work, cooperation. The aircraft is created on a modular basis with an optional implementation of system elements. Due to this, the Checkmate project uses the best ready-made developments of the fifth generation.

During the time that has passed since the project was presented at MAKS-2021, work has been organized to receive feedback from potential customers. In addition to additional requirements from customers, work was carried out to optimize the cost and analyze individual technical solutions, which significantly increased competitiveness, commercial attractiveness, and also reduced technical risks when creating a domestic single-engine aircraft.

Based on these works, changes were made to the project, which also adjusted the timing of the first departure. But at the same time, the principle of modularity and modern digital technologies made it possible to make these changes in the shortest possible time, and we plan to start testing in 2024.

— Earlier it was stated that in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, work is underway to create several prototypes of Checkmate. How many machines are being created?

— In the Checkmate project, we use modern supercomputing technologies, which significantly reduces the construction time of a prototype and ensures the start of flight tests as early as 2024. Preparation for the production of two prototypes has now begun. In total, it is planned to build four prototypes.

— When do you plan to create an unmanned version of Checkmate?

— The unmanned version of Checkmate is being developed from the early design stages. Even now, the basic (single-seat) aircraft includes technical solutions that reduce the development time of the unmanned version.

The unmanned modification will significantly increase the efficiency of existing aircraft, eliminating the risk of loss of flight personnel. An unmanned version can be created simultaneously with a single-seat aircraft. The groundwork for the unmanned aircraft in terms of flight tests will be formed as part of advanced work on the manned version.

— What are the results of negotiations with the Ministry of Defense regarding the new Checkmate light fighter, as well as its unmanned version? Did the agency become a customer of the aircraft?

— The Su-75 is being created primarily as an export aircraft. We predict a fairly large niche in the global market. We are planning joint work and fruitful cooperation to support the work of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation.

At the same time, the implemented characteristics, including in terms of range and combat load, make it possible to use the Su-75 for the tasks of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation and ensure the minimum cost of operation. And with the use of an unmanned version, an additional expansion of the capabilities of existing aviation complexes of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation is being implemented.

https://tass.ru/interviews/15472119

GarryB, xeno, d_taddei2, thegopnik, Hole and Broski like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:24 am

Translating Slyusar's comments from ultra-politically-correct to common language:

> 1 year delay in the project due to redesign (is this related to considering VKS' input?)
    > From a corporate perspective, the plane needs to sustain itself without VKS orders, at least in principle. But it is crystal clear they created it to fulfill the needs of the MoD due to
    - Substantial Range and Payload (replacement of Su-30)
    - Unmanned capacity (extension of the fleet at lower cost)

Hole, Mir and Broski like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:10 pm

The Su-30's can serve for a long time to come. The Su-75 is an ideal platform for me to replace the Mig-29's and by doing so they can increase the VVS inventory substantially.

Broski likes this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:16 pm

Mir wrote:The Su-30's can serve for a long time to come. The Su-75 is an ideal platform for me to replace the Mig-29's and by doing so they can increase the VVS inventory substantially.

There is no more mig-29 to replace. Su-30 replaced them. They will have to train lot of pilots and increase numbers with the su-75.
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:37 pm

Isos wrote:
    Mir wrote:The Su-30's can serve for a long time to come. The Su-75 is an ideal platform for me to replace the Mig-29's and by doing so they can increase the VVS inventory substantially.

There is no more mig-29 to replace. Su-30 replaced them. They will have to train lot of pilots and increase numbers with the su-75.

Quite right but for a number of Mig-29UB's? With my post above I am implying that they should not replace the Su-30's but rather the Mig-29's and by doing so they will increase the inventory. If they directly replace the Su-30's the inventory will either stay stagnant or decline. Hope that explains my thinking better?

Broski likes this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm

Mir wrote:Quite right but for a number of Mig-29UB's? With my post above I am implying that they should not replace the Su-30's but rather the Mig-29's and by doing so they will increase the inventory. If they directly replace the Su-30's the inventory will either stay stagnant or decline. Hope that explains my thinking better?

Sukhoi's idea with the LTS is to be able not only to replaces older airframes but to increase the VKS numbers at an affordable cost. Russian landmass has an extremely low cover of tactical aircraft that needs to be increased dramatically.

psg, JohninMK, Mir and Broski like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:21 pm

Exactly what I'm trying to say - you've just put it much better than I did! Smile

LMFS likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:11 pm

The Su-30's can serve for a long time to come. The Su-75 is an ideal platform for me to replace the Mig-29's and by doing so they can increase the VVS inventory substantially.

We haven't seen any alternative options from the other design bureaus so it is rather hard to say which is ideal.

Sukhoi's idea with the LTS is to be able not only to replaces older airframes but to increase the VKS numbers at an affordable cost. Russian landmass has an extremely low cover of tactical aircraft that needs to be increased dramatically.

To be fair the concept of the light fighter in any heavy fighter light fighter arrangement is for the light fighter to be cheaper to buy and cheaper to use so it can be purchased in much greater numbers to fill gaps.

The MiG-35 is already in limited production and MiGs equivalent has only been shown in model form but should not be completely ignored.

Yak probably has some VSTOL fighter in the works too.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:14 pm

GarryB wrote:We haven't seen any alternative options from the other design bureaus so it is rather hard to say which is ideal.

I am not the expert, but from experience we see two main types of contracts with MoD:

1) Military needs a certain kit and they open a competition. This is needed in order to guarantee that they are not taken advantage of, given the supplier knows there is a demand that needs to be covered and therefore would have a too strong position, in case there was no competition at the offer level.
    2) Military does not have an admitted need for a given type of weapons, but the manufacturer sees the possibility to contribute one idea, that may have more or less potential in the export market too. In that case MoD is (or pretends to be) under no urgency or need and the full burden of moving the negotiation falls on the supplier. Therefore no competition is needed, if the offer is good enough MoD may but, if not then just close the door and that's it.

The LTS seems indeed to be se second type, so no official competition is needed. Either VKS likes it or not.

To be fair the concept of the light fighter in any heavy fighter light fighter arrangement is for the light fighter to be cheaper to buy and cheaper to use so it can be purchased in much greater numbers to fill gaps.

The MiG-35 is already in limited production and MiGs equivalent has only been shown in model form but should not be completely ignored.

Yak probably has some VSTOL fighter in the works too.

MiG was insisting on their MiG-29 based approach and extremely delayed with the -35, so they opened the door to Sukhoi, that simply ran over them with a much better thought and competitive approach. Now it will be difficult for them to match that and VKS should not be held hostage to keep MiG running when they did not perform. Probably they will go to the interceptor branch and leave fighters to Sukhoi, that would be also a honorable solution for the company

Hole, Mir and Broski like this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:40 pm

LMFS wrote:

MiG was insisting on their MiG-29 based approach and extremely delayed with the -35, so they opened the door to Sukhoi, that simply ran over them with a much better thought and competitive approach. Now it will be difficult for them to match that and VKS should not be held hostage to keep MiG running when they did not perform. Probably they will go to the interceptor branch and leave fighters to Sukhoi, that would be also a honorable solution for the company

I agree. MiG should put all their strength into interceptor. I don't think that MiG-35 will be bought in any serious numbers by RuAF. If they don't order any this year, and by the way it looks they won't, chances for new orders in following years are getting less and less.

Mir and Broski like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:20 am

caveat emptor wrote:I agree. MiG should put all their strength into interceptor. I don't think that MiG-35 will be bought in any serious numbers by RuAF. If they don't order any this year, and by the way it looks they won't,  chances for new orders in following years are getting less and less.

Do you know if MiG completed the Zhuk-AE yet? Would an AESA radar make the difference for the VKS ordering enough of the MiG-35 or not?

GarryB and d_taddei2 like this post

Broski
    Broski

Post  Broski Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:13 am

Gomig-21 wrote:
    caveat emptor wrote:I agree. MiG should put all their strength into interceptor. I don't think that MiG-35 will be bought in any serious numbers by RuAF. If they don't order any this year, and by the way it looks they won't,  chances for new orders in following years are getting less and less.

Do you know if MiG completed the Zhuk-AE yet?  Would an AESA radar make the difference for the VKS ordering enough of the MiG-35 or not?  
    Not likely, they didn't care for an AESA radar with the Su-35. MiG-35 is late to the party and once the Su-75's are ready, I don't see the Russian MoD or any export client choosing the MiG's over the Checkmate.

Gomig-21 and Mir like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:35 am

Broski wrote:Not likely, they didn't care for an AESA radar with the Su-35. MiG-35 is late to the party and once the Su-75's are ready, I don't see the Russian MoD or any export client choosing the MiG's over the Checkmate.

That's too bad. I know Egypt loves their customized MiG-29M/M2s (I mean they are super happy with them) and they even put in a request for the MiG-35 but they insisted on it having the Zhuk-AE and the built-in target designator (instead of the T-220 pod) and they were going to put in a rather large order to up their current 50 or so MiG-29M/M2s with an order of 100 or so. But we haven't heard anything beyond the request.

Do we know what radar is going in the Checkmate?

GarryB, d_taddei2 and TMA1 like this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:33 am

Gomig-21 wrote:
    Broski wrote:Not likely, they didn't care for an AESA radar with the Su-35. MiG-35 is late to the party and once the Su-75's are ready, I don't see the Russian MoD or any export client choosing the MiG's over the Checkmate.

That's too bad.  I know Egypt loves their customized MiG-29M/M2s (I mean they are super happy with them) and they even put in a request for the MiG-35 but they insisted on it having the Zhuk-AE and the built-in target designator (instead of the T-220 pod) and they were going to put in a rather large order to up their current 50 or so MiG-29M/M2s with an order of 100 or so.  But we haven't heard anything beyond the request.

Do we know what radar is going in the Checkmate?

N036. Probably reduced in size thus less T/R modules.

Gomig-21 and TMA1 like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:54 am

sepheronx wrote:N036. Probably reduced in size thus less T/R modules.

That was the next thing I was going to say; if the NO36 can fit in the Su-57, that radome on that aircraft isn't necessarily that big anyway, so it's likely it would fit in the Checkmate and maybe even in the MiG-35.  If it does, they should stick that bad larry in all the jets, including the newly-built Su-35s.
    caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:31 am

Gomig-21 wrote:

Do you know if MiG completed the Zhuk-AE yet?  Would an AESA radar make the difference for the VKS ordering enough of the MiG-35 or not?  
    No idea. There's very little talk about that plane. I thought that there was a chance RuAF order more, if Indians and Egyptians do, as that would lower the price per unit, especially important in the case of radar. But nothing happened on that front.

Gomig-21 likes this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:07 am

Gomig-21 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:N036. Probably reduced in size thus less T/R modules.

That was the next thing I was going to say; if the NO36 can fit in the Su-57, that radome on that aircraft isn't necessarily that big anyway, so it's likely it would fit in the Checkmate and maybe even in the MiG-35.  If it does, they should stick that bad larry in all the jets, including the newly-built Su-35s.

It wont be necessarily N036 but it will be using all the same parts, just smaller.

Gomig-21 likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 am

The LTS seems indeed to be se second type, so no official competition is needed. Either VKS likes it or not.

That is not true... the best example of the second type would have to be the Su-25 to replace the Su-17 and MiG-27 in short range strike support roles in frontal aviation, but even then there was competing designs from other design bureaus.

The myth that the Soviets don't have competition for contracts is just that... a myth... Kalashnikov fought off three or four other rifle designers in the 1970s to win the contract for the AK-74 and in the 1990s the Abakan beat the AK-74M and more recently the AK-12 became the new standard rifle for Russian Army units.

Both MiG and Yak made their own CAS aircraft in competition to the Su-25 and tests were made to work out the winner... it was not just handed to anyone.

The current need is a cheap lighter numbers fighter that can essentially replace the MiG-21 and Su-17 families of light strike and light fighter aircraft for the role of Frontal Aviation swing fighter bomber... an aircraft that can be bought in useful numbers and deployed fairly widely that does not suck all the funding from the Air Force budget... so cheap to buy and cheap to operate.

Previously that was the MiG-29 and currently that is MiG-35 but obviously with issues that need to be sorted out... they have been told all this time that funding was focusing on what has become the Su-57 and that when that is entering service in serial production then funding will be shifted to a light fighter to compliment it, so all this time MiG will have been working on their own 5th gen designs not just to work with the Su-57 on land but also at sea and they will likely have two models a single engined aircraft and twin engined aircraft to choose from.

MiG was insisting on their MiG-29 based approach and extremely delayed with the -35, so they opened the door to Sukhoi, that simply ran over them with a much better thought and competitive approach.

Bullshit... there is no way MiG had the power or influence to demand the light fighter design be frozen while the heavy fighter was perfected and sorted out... that was a decision for the ministry of defence.

Now it will be difficult for them to match that and VKS should not be held hostage to keep MiG running when they did not perform.

The tests have not been run and nothing is flying yet... for all we know MiG might have been working with China on some of their products... some of which do have similarities to recent MiG designs... how far advanced are they really and how much are they revealing?

If they don't want to be held hostage by one design company branch the risk is greatest that that will be Sukhoi... they have the power and control to do so.

Probably they will go to the interceptor branch and leave fighters to Sukhoi, that would be also a honorable solution for the company

Honour has nothing to do with it... and besides if they withdraw in this who is to say Sukhoi wont start looking at interceptor designs next...

The deal was supposed to be delaying funding for the light fighter while the heavy fighter was worked out and Sukhoi screwed them over on that using the funding for Su-57 to make a smaller little brother design to screw MiG with...

Not likely, they didn't care for an AESA radar with the Su-35.

They cared enough to make the radar a hybrid...

A pure AESA will be a lot more expensive... for only a few advantages over the set they use now.

MiG-35 is late to the party and once the Su-75's are ready, I don't see the Russian MoD or any export client choosing the MiG's over the Checkmate.

Which means they have at least 5 years to sort their shit out and prove their worth and show their next step and tell us why it is better than the Su-75.

That's too bad. I know Egypt loves their customized MiG-29M/M2s (I mean they are super happy with them) and they even put in a request for the MiG-35 but they insisted on it having the Zhuk-AE and the built-in target designator (instead of the T-220 pod) and they were going to put in a rather large order to up their current 50 or so MiG-29M/M2s with an order of 100 or so. But we haven't heard anything beyond the request.

MiG gets a lot of shit, mostly by people who don't understand them and recognise why they made them the way they made them, but they make very good aircraft... the Russian military love the MiG-31, and the MiG-21 was popular around the world.

That was the next thing I was going to say; if the NO36 can fit in the Su-57, that radome on that aircraft isn't necessarily that big anyway, so it's likely it would fit in the Checkmate and maybe even in the MiG-35. If it does, they should stick that bad larry in all the jets, including the newly-built Su-35s.

One of the interesting things I am looking forward to is seeing the Checkmate in the air is comparing its size to Flankers and Su-57s... I don't think it is going to be very small at all.

During combat training with the US one comment the US pilots made was how small the MiG-21 looked and how hard it was to keep track of visually...

d_taddei2 and Gomig-21 like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:57 am

GarryB wrote:That is not true... the best example of the second type would have to be the Su-25 to replace the Su-17 and MiG-27

WTF!!! Shocked
    caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:03 pm

GarryB wrote:
    Previously that was the MiG-29 and currently that is MiG-35 but obviously with issues that need to be sorted out... they have been told all this time that funding was focusing on what has become the  Su-57 and that when that is entering service in serial production then funding will be shifted to a light fighter to compliment it, so all this time MiG will have been working on their own 5th gen designs not just to work with the Su-57 on land but also at sea and they will likely have two models a single engined aircraft and twin engined aircraft to choose from.

Do you have any source to corroborate that story or is it entirely your imagination?
    It is a shame to see MiG in such shape as it is now, but it is, mostly, by their own doing.
    Their last presentation with toy models of their "projects" was nothing but shameful.

Broski likes this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:13 pm

Russia is ready to jointly produce the Su-75 with other countries

FSMTC Head Shugaev said that Russia is ready to produce the Su-75 together with other countries.

Russia is ready to produce Checkmate (Su-75) single-engine fighters in cooperation. This was announced on August 16 by Dmitry Shugaev, Director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation of Russia.

"I can confirm that consultations are currently underway with some foreign customers on cooperation within the Checkmate project, "he told RIA Novosti.

Shugaev specified that the parameters of such cooperation include not only the supply of final products, but also technological cooperation.

He noted that the declared characteristics of the fighter are already at the level of existing offers from foreign competitors and even surpass them, but Checkmate will go a certain way before exporting. Shugaev believes that the Su-75 will be in demand in its segment.

Rostec CEO Sergey Chemezov at a meeting with Russian President Vladimir PutinPutin said on May 18 that serial production of the Su-75 Checkmate will begin in 2027.

On March 24, it became known that such a fighter model was tested in a wind tunnel. The text of the patent for a light tactical aircraft specified that its design provides it with angles of attack and aerodynamic characteristics that significantly improve cruising, maneuverability and take-off and landing parameters in comparison with other single-engine aircraft.

https://iz.ru/1380448/2022-08-16/v-rossii-gotovy-sovmestno-s-drugimi-stranami-proizvodit-su-75

George1, Hole, Mir and Broski like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:22 pm

Any Air Force still flying Mig-21/23/29 and even Su-22's should be potential customers - that in itself is a huge market.
    For countries on the US "Evil Axis" list it is a must buy. Maybe Iran was looking for some the other day? Smile

d_taddei2, LMFS, Hole and Broski like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:03 am

Mir wrote:Any Air Force still flying Mig-21/23/29 and even Su-22's should be potential customers - that in itself is a huge market.
    For countries on the US "Evil Axis" list it is a must buy. Maybe Iran was looking for some the other day? Smile

Iran must be indeed salivating at the prospect of getting a 5G plane with the practical capacities of a Su-30 for that kind of money... it is a bargain
    Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:45 am

GarryB wrote:One of the interesting things I am looking forward to is seeing the Checkmate in the air is comparing its size to Flankers and Su-57s... I don't think it is going to be very small at all.

Thinking the same exact thing. This thing is actually pretty big.

Sukhoi LTS "Checkmate" #2 - Page 19 Lts-2021-image05

GarryB wrote:During combat training with the US one comment the US pilots made was how small the MiG-21 looked and how hard it was to keep track of visually...

You know my infamous love affair with the MiG-21. Saddened me like heck when I saw this pic of this event. Only info with it was that it was an East German MiG-21 that crashed into an apartment building back in 1975! Crazy to see this classic embedded into the side of a building like that.

Sukhoi LTS "Checkmate" #2 - Page 19 1660178360585-png

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:40 pm