Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+6
Mir
miketheterrible
TMA1
Gomig-21
kvs
Cowboy's daughter
10 posters

Unrest in South Africa

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Unrest in South Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: Unrest in South Africa

Post  miketheterrible Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 pm

Buddy of mine is a safi here and I asked him, he laughed as he said the authorities ran out of rubber bullets. And he said that according to his family in the areas, that he is happy shop keepers are defending themselves and their business. I agree with him.
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:11 pm

miketheterrible wrote:Buddy of mine is a safi here and I asked him, he laughed as he said the authorities ran out of rubber bullets. And he said that according to his family in the areas, that he is happy shop keepers are defending themselves and their business. I agree with him.

The Police and the Military are completely underfunded and short staffed. What is very well funded - in typical African fashion - are the VIP protection units. In fact our Air Force is basically a VIP air taxi unit.

The citizens and shop owners are left to defend themselves from these thugs. Certain politicians are now also trying there level best to play the "racism card" as well.

Just before this there was also a strong drive from the Government to disarm it's citizens - fortunately this incident is not going to support their case.

Cowboy's daughter likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:42 pm

Mir wrote:
    Cowboy's daughter wrote:

I'm just wondering this morning, which Countries could something like this NOT happen?

We've seen looting in the USA by "Black Lives Matter", etc, and pretty much nothing done. Black citizens saying afterwards: "Now I don't even have a grocery store left in my neighborhood."

We've watched all the antifa violence, etc in the Northwest.  & pretty much nothing done.

We've witnessed Pandemic panic buying, stores stripped, even today, there is still some shortages of things in stores, the supply chains snarled up. So even tho we have a police force and military, unless the US brought out the military in a big way, I can really see something like this happening here. But bringing out the military is imho, something the US could and probably would do in a case like this.

The Woke pandemic is upon us! pirat

For real. and I see nothing good coming from it.

There is such a thing as (ideally there is) "just" government, as in justice for all, but "wokeism" is not just government.

Mir likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:53 am

South Africa deploys more than 20,000 troops as death toll tops 100
    South Africa calls up army reserves to assist police in quelling deadly unrest following the jailing of former President Jacob Zuma.
    More than 2,200 people have been arrested, the acting minister in the presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, told a news conference, adding that Johannesburg was now “relatively calm”.

But in KwaZulu-Natal province, the epicentre of the violence, the minister said the “situation remains volatile, but much improved and moving towards stability”.

About 100 acts of violence had been recorded on Wednesday, but fewer than three dozen on Thursday, she said.

The violence has so far not spread to South Africa’s seven other provinces, where police are on alert.

Al Jazeera’s Bernard Smith reporting from Johannesburg said it was “much calmer” in the country’s economic hub.

“Members of the [Johannesburg] community are going with the army door-to-door finding people who have been looting from the shops and getting them to give stuff back,” he added.

Meanwhile, in Durban in KwaZulu-Natal province, where there has been much more violence, there are fears that the situation could get worse, Smith said

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/15/death-toll-in-south-africa-unrest-rises-to-117-minister

South Africans organise to confront looters, defend property
    Many citizens have banded together to scare off looters as South Africa reels under its worst unrest in decades.
    Citizens armed with guns, many from South Africa’s white minority, blocked off streets to prevent further plundering, in Durban.

Others were forming online groups to help clean up and rebuild devastated neighbourhoods.

Security forces say they have arrested more than 1,200 people, while President Cyril Ramaphosa met political party leaders on Wednesday to discuss the unrest.

The violence appeared to have abated in some areas, but in others, there was renewed burning and looting.

The government said 208 incidents of looting and vandalism were recorded on Wednesday, as the number of soldiers deployed to support police doubled to 5,000.

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/7/15/south-africans-organise-to-confront-looters-defend-property

Mir likes this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:37 am

Pretty accurate yes. The only thing I can add is that Durban in KZN, has a huge Indian community and they teamed up with the White minority to protect property and businesses alike.
    Although the vast majority of looters are Black, most Blacks are against the looting and are also helping in the fight against the looters. Everybody is pitching in to clean up the mess.
    In fact the KZN Premier, himself a Black person, assaulted a looter yesterday and later apologized for his actions Laughing

Pietermaritzburg is the capital city in KZN about 100kms from Durban where things were MUCH worse.
    Unrest in South Africa - Page 2 Loot-c10

Last edited by Mir on Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

kvs and Cowboy's daughter like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:20 pm

Things are looking a bit better over here but there are still some looting and burning taking place.

Very concerning though is that 1.5 million rounds of ammo of various calibers have been stolen from a container in the Durban harbour, This was destined for the SANDF from Brazil. Some of the ammo have been recovered so far.
    It is clear that someone with intel knew exactly where the container was - it was stacked very high up on a pile of containers.

Something a bit more comical >> The CEO of Ubuntu Wealth Management has been arrested for taking part in the looting! Laughing

Some people just don't know when enough is enough What a Face

flamming_python and Cowboy's daughter like this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Mir wrote:Things are looking a bit better over here but there are still some looting and burning taking place.

Very concerning though is that 1.5 million rounds of ammo of various calibers have been stolen from a container in the Durban harbour, This was destined for the SANDF from Brazil. Some of the ammo have been recovered so far.
    It is clear that someone with intel knew exactly where the container was - it was stacked very high up on a pile of containers.

Something a bit more comical >> The CEO of Ubuntu Wealth Management has been arrested for taking part in the looting! Laughing

Some people just don't know when enough is enough What a Face

Wow, that is unsettling.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:08 pm

The so called Zulu are now mostly just targeting Indians as they chant genocidal shit against Indians.

What BLM controlled US will look like. I for one don't give a shit about Americans. But I sure do feel bad for non blacks in SA.

kvs likes this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:11 pm

Its the Bantu bioweapon run amok. Someone has to nuke the site from orbit - its the only way to be sure.

miketheterrible likes this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:11 pm

There are those that would love to draw this into a racial war, but they are doomed to fail. South Africans are pulling together now.

What is clear is that the already factional ANC is on the verge of splitting in two.

Last edited by Mir on Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Mir wrote:There are those that would love to draw this into a racial war, but they are doomed to fail. South Africans are pulling together now.

This has been a racial war since blacks started targeting white farmers. Since my friend and colleague has family in Durban, I myself am worried.

I do hope things return to normal.

kvs, Cowboy's daughter and Mir like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:17 pm

I also have family in Durban and things are still a bit scary over there - but there is some improvement.

kvs and Cowboy's daughter like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:11 pm

I heard that the previous president of South Africa was a pretty open Zulu nationalist and it looks like someone is now stirring shit

The main opposition is this 'left-wing' party led by an up and comer that advocates South African unity rather than narrow nationalism. Only he also advocates appropriating and redistributing farmland from the Boers and other whites so either way the white man is screwed.
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 pm

flamming_python wrote:I heard that the previous president of South Africa was a pretty open Zulu nationalist and it looks like someone is now stirring shit

The main opposition is this 'left-wing' party led by an up and comer that advocates South African unity rather than narrow nationalism. Only he also advocates appropriating and redistributing farmland from the Boers and other whites so either way the white man is screwed.

Our ex-president Zuma is a Zulu yes and a very "tribal" one at that. Some of his lieutenants are being rounded up atm - and some in his family are also implicated in the riots.

As far as the ex-appropriation of land without compensation goes, the ANC and another Black Nationalist party (EFF) are currently trying to change the Constitution, but these two parties are typically having some difficulties to find common ground as how to do it. The EFF is currently the third largest party. The official opposition is basically a racially integrated party on democratic lines(DA) but they really screwed up badly over the last couple of years, so there is some doubt if they will remain as our main opposition party. This party and most of the smaller parties are apposed to the ANC and EFF's plans.

The current situation may change the political landscape quite radically as a major factional split may occur in the ANC. We will have to wait and see though.
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:45 pm

South Africa riots over Zuma jailing pre-planned - Cyril Ramaphosa
    By Shingai Nyoka
    BBC News, Durban

Published1 hour ago

Riots were sparked by the jailing of former President Jacob Zuma.

The death toll has risen to 212, up by almost 100 since Thursday, the government said.

Police officers have been protecting deliveries of food to supermarkets after days of widespread looting led to shortages.

An estimated $1bn (£720m) worth of stock was stolen in KwaZulu-Natal with at least 800 retail shops looted, a mayor in the province said.

"It is quite clear that all these incidents of unrest and looting were instigated - there were people who planned it and coordinated it," Mr Ramaphosa said in a visit to KwaZulu-Natal, Mr Zuma's home province and the epicentre of the violence.

The president said the riots were an attempt to hijack South Africa's democracy. He told cheering party supporters that instigators had been identified, but didn't elaborate.

"We are going after them," he told reporters.

In KwaZulu-Natal, many have been queueing for food, with some lining up from the early hours of the morning just to get a few items.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57863558
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 pm

After what has transpired in the ex-USSR and in Africa over the last 30+ years, a pattern emerges that is extremely politically
    incorrect. The term "developing country" is euphemistic BS. Some people just do not have their shit together and do not
    strive to get it together. They were pulled up into civilization by the "occupant" and revert to their natural state after
    the "occupant" leaves. For South Africa it is more messy since the non-tribals are still there trying to maintain civilization. But
    sadly this is doomed in the face of nature.

BTW, I am not against people living any level of development they feel comfortable with. But they should accept their limitations
    and stop pretending that they are "oppressed".

Mir likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:58 pm

Michael Cassidy Speaks into South Africa's Turmoil

1,220 viewsJul 17, 2021

Michael Cassidy Speaks into South Africa's Turmoil and challenges us to prayerfully seek to understand the situation comprehensively like the sons of Issachar, to pray fervently for strongholds to be dismantled and also to speak to power.

We do have a tinderbox that for a long time has been brewing...

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Things are slowly getting back to some normality here. Durban is reported to be fairly quiet, some of the stolen goods are being retrieved and the communities are cleaning up the mess.

The Government on the other hand is looking to blame everybody but themselves. They even try to link this to a possible coop but it was mainly criminal in nature.

Cowboy's daughter and PapaDragon like this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 pm

Mir wrote:Things are slowly getting back to some normality here. Durban is reported to be fairly quiet, some of the stolen goods are being retrieved and the communities are cleaning up the mess.

The Government on the other hand is looking to blame everybody but themselves. They even try to link this to a possible coop but it was mainly criminal in nature.

Earlier this morning I saw a video posted on Facebook of workers inside a Checkers Mayville, North of Pretoria, kneeling and praying for South Africa

"July 15 at 7:56 AM ·
    At Checkers Mayville, North of Pretoria. Seek God, He will save us."

now here is a video on youtube of the same place, outside the store, persons praying for South Africa.

Prayer for South Africa | Checkers Mayville, Jul 18, 2021

Mlondi Bhengu

832 subscribers

I was blessed today to participate in a prayer for our country with fellow workers.

This prayer was held at Checkers Mayville in Pretoria 8am

The spirit of our country will heal us.

South Africa is much much stronger

Song
    All To Jesus I Surrender
    Artist
    Robin Mark
    Album
    The Mandate - Experiencing God
    Licensed to YouTube by
    [Merlin] Absolute Label Services (on behalf of Integrity Music); BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, UMPG Publishing, Forward Music Publishing Co., Ltd., Sony ATV Publishing, LatinAutor - UMPG, LatinAutorPerf, UMPI, and 10 Music Rights Societies

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:36 am

The ridiculous thing is that when you see looters they often just grab stuff... I suspect when they get home they will find most of the clothes they grabbed wont even fit them or they wouldn't wear anyway, and of course a good chance that big screen TVs they stole could have been damaged getting it home etc etc.

Stealing in a supermarket a whole pallet of beer might make you popular, but if I did it I would probably get it home and unwrap the plastic and find I had a whole pallet of creamed corn or something.

The irony is that after having their stores robbed most delivery companies are not going to send their trucks to such places because the risk that they will be stopped and robbed too would mean they wont get paid and will have to pay for lost goods too... which means the security companies are probably rubbing their hands together and offering to boost security perhaps including armed guards...

What a mess...

Cowboy's daughter and Mir like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:00 am

This is what acting like chimp gets you.

Morons.

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:15 am

kvs wrote:
    This is what acting like chimp gets you.

Morons.
    That's grossly unfair to chimps. Monkeys in the wild only take what they need, and not go on ravenous pillaging spree that kills off the ecosystem. They coexist with nature and form close knit family groups - very much unlike Bantus.

kvs and Mir like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 am

It is sad to watch what happened to the richest country of Africa once cry

Mir likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:51 pm