Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+4
Hole
lancelot
kvs
elconquistador
8 posters

Kyrgyzstan–Tajikistan conflict

elconquistador

Kyrgyzstan–Tajikistan conflict Empty Kyrgyzstan–Tajikistan conflict

Post  elconquistador Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Some serious escalation in the Tajikistan/Kyrgyzstan border area. From what it looks like the Tajik attacked several border villages in order to gain control over vital water infrastructure. The takeover was accompanied by targeted killings and destruction of Kyrgyz property.

A rather shaky truce is in place now. The Kyrgyz government insists that the Tajiks have left the villages, Kyrgyz locals deny this vehemently

The interesting part: I start seeing Kyrgyz people blaming Russia. Apparantly Russia backed the Tajik attack and is giving them cover in their media.

Wouldn't surprise me if this flares up again.

lancelot likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Kyrgyzstan–Tajikistan conflict Empty Re: Kyrgyzstan–Tajikistan conflict

Post  kvs Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:06 pm

elconquistador wrote:Some serious escalation in the Tajikistan/Kyrgyzstan border area. From what it looks like the Tajik attacked several border villages in order to gain control over vital water infrastructure. The takeover was accompanied by targeted killings and destruction of Kyrgyz property.

A rather shaky truce is in place now. The Kyrgyz government insists that the Tajiks have left the villages, Kyrgyz locals deny this vehemently

The interesting part: I start seeing Kyrgyz people blaming Russia. Apparantly Russia backed the Tajik attack and is giving them cover in their media.

Social media strikes again.   I have not seen any partisan bias on the part of Russia to one party or the other.   In spite of the Pavlov's dogs
    training that people in the west get, the Russian government is very careful about picking sides.    They straddled this line during the recent NK
    and Azerbaijan conflict.    Now I am supposed to believe that Russia is brazenly picking sides.   Total BS.

franco and miketheterrible like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:37 pm

elconquistador wrote:Some serious escalation in the Tajikistan/Kyrgyzstan border area. From what it looks like the Tajik attacked several border villages in order to gain control over vital water infrastructure. The takeover was accompanied by targeted killings and destruction of Kyrgyz property.

Probably a lot of battle hardened Tajiks who had to leave Afghanistan in the wake of the Taliban with nothing better to do.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:13 pm

Two more artificial states attacking each other because of some artificial border drawn 100 years ago by some globalist d...head.
    elconquistador

Post  elconquistador Sat May 01, 2021 4:46 am

Hole wrote:Two more artificial states attacking each other because of some artificial border drawn 100 years ago by some globalist d...head.

Central Asian borders might have been drawn arbitrarily with their ethnogenises mostly (socially) engineered by outside forces (namely the Soviets), but that doesn't mean that there were no differences

From my limited understanding pre-Soviet Central Asia was largely distinguished between Persians (Tajiks) and Turkics, sedentary people and nomadic people, different sects of Islam, and different religions

Anyway having lived amongst both Kyrgyz /Kazakh and Tajiks in China I can tell you that these people really are very different, culturally, linguistically and especially genetically

Yugo90 likes this post

elconquistador

Post  elconquistador Sat May 01, 2021 7:57 am

One of the better twitter update account is

https://mobile.twitter.com/Just_Requ

Ceasefire is holding, military build up seems to be continuing
    Yugo90

Post  Yugo90 Sat May 01, 2021 8:11 am

Russia really doesn't need another conflict close to their borders...i hope things calm down a little bit. Maybe Russian army could secure the border where shooting started....
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat May 01, 2021 11:11 am

So reading around it was when Tajikistan tried to install security cameras near the water intake plant when the situation spiraled out of control.

I have not seen any mention of Russia anywhere from either party or Russia itself so any mention of "Russia being blamed by so and so" is I believe Twitter nonsense as KVS said. Read multiple news pages of the same.  Both sides agree it is a problem between the two and while they still build up forces between each other's borders, they both agree to talks.

I say while it is sad 34 people lost their lives, at least they agree to a more peaceful settlement.

It sucks such things flare up near Russia and it seems to happen a lot. It's the Caucuses though and these people love to have conflicts with each other.  Best option was for Russia to stay out of it unless it got real bad.  Wouldn't be surprised if both parties called Russia during this and were told to get their shit in order.

Yugo90 wrote:Russia really doesn't need another conflict close to their borders...i hope things calm down a little bit. Maybe Russian army could secure the border where shooting started....

No because then these people will possibly see it as a sovereignty issue thinking Russian invasion causing more trouble for Russia than not.

The Karabakh situation was Russia resolving Armenia's bullshit for them and preventing genocide of the people there from the Turdisatnies.

flamming_python and Yugo90 like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat May 01, 2021 12:19 pm

Neither country has a border with Russia and both are nowhere even close to Russia

There is however Chinese border and this shit should be dealt with by China

Yugo90 likes this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat May 01, 2021 3:24 pm

It's mostly because Russia has bases in both countries. But as said the situation has nothing to do with them but with a ridiculous situation turning deadly. I'm certain both sides leaders also realized this.
    elconquistador

Post  elconquistador Mon May 03, 2021 5:25 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChristianHale84/status/1388546278439673857

Long twitter thread on the causes of the conflict.

I was also wrong on the permanent occupation part, the Tajiks temporarily occupied 3-4 villages, destroyed all Kyrgyz property (both public and private) and then withdrew

lancelot likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon May 03, 2021 9:34 am

These two stans are typical ex-Soviet limitrophes.   They have been in full bore reversion to medieval conditions.   That is not an exaggeration.
    Russia left and they are forgetting about modern civilization.    I would say Ukraine fits this bill too.   Maybe it is not reverting to primitive
    tribalism, but it has degenerated into a Nazi toilet with a dictatorship in Kiev that shows no evidence of any real democracy and rule of law.
    See for example the gang violence in Odessa which the rotten cops never even bother to investigate since the victims have the "wrong"
    opinions as per Kiev Banderites.  That is similar to reversion to primitive tribalism.

miketheterrible and Yugo90 like this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:52 pm

Eleven Tajik nationals were wounded in shootout on border with Kyrgyzstan — report
    The casualties include eight troops and three civilians

https://tass.com/world/1394139

Tajik resident killed in conflict on Kyrgyz border — news agency

https://tass.com/world/1394141

Tajikistan moves heavy equipment to border regions — Kyrgyz National Security Committee

https://tass.com/world/1394143
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:52 pm

Moscow-led bloc ready to help Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan settle border conflict — CSTO chief

Stanislav Zas said he was confident that the leadership of both countries - parties to the organization would "find mutually acceptable ways of settling this complex border issue"

MOSCOW, January 27. /TASS/. CSTO (Collective Security Treaty Organization) Secretary General Stanislav Zas held a telephone conversation with Tajik and Kyrgyz Security Chiefs Nasrullo Makhmudzoda and Marat Imankulov and urged them to stop the gunfire at the border between the two countries immediately, the CSTO press office reported on Thursday.

"The reignited gunfights at the border that have led to those wounded in the clashes are a cause for serious concern. The armed confrontation at the Tajik-Kyrgyz border must be immediately stopped. The conflict needs to be settled exclusively at a negotiating table peacefully. The CSTO is ready to provide required assistance to Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan in settling the conflict," Zas was quoted as saying on the CSTO’s website.

The CSTO chief said he was confident that the leadership of both countries - parties to the organization would "find mutually acceptable ways of settling this complex border issue."

Gunfights occurred between Kyrgyz and Tajik forces at the border between the two countries on Thursday, the Border Guard Service of Kyrgyzstan’s State National Security Committee reported.

The Kyrgyz-Tajik border is about 950 km long. Dozens of disputed sections remained along the border following the collapse of the Soviet Union. In 2002, the sides launched negotiations on border demarcation and delimitation, with nearly 200 sessions of committees and working groups held since then. Currently, already about 550 km of the border have been designated in the process of delimitation and demarcation. However, conflicts between local residents with shootouts are still recorded on the border occasionally.

https://tass.com/politics/1394121

GarryB likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm